Start by marking “Romeo and/or Juliet: A Chooseable-Path Adventure” as Want to Read:
Romeo and/or Juliet: A Chooseable-Path Adventure

Romeo and/or Juliet: A Chooseable-Path Adventure

(Chooseable-Path Adventures)

Shakespeare’s plays weren’t meant to be read. They were meant…to be played.

What if Romeo never met Juliet? What if Juliet got really buff instead of moping around all day? What if they teamed up to take over Verona with robot suits? This choose-your-own-path version of Romeo and Juliet—packed with fun puzzles, secrets, and quadrillions of possible storylines—lets you decid
Published June 7th 2016 by Riverhead Books

To ask other readers questions about Romeo and/or Juliet, please sign up.
Tubby Buttcheeks Tubby Buttcheeks nice to meet you my name is Tubby Buttcheeks

lisa
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mine-mine-mine, 2016
this is super fun! on my first readthrough as juliet i ended as a spinster pirate, so A++ adventuring really.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
New York Times bestselling Romeo and/or Juliet is a choose your own adventure type of deal, a ridiculously entertaining take (or takes, since there are plenty of them) on a classic that’s pretty ridiculous in and of itself. A classic it may be, but the word timeless doesn’t apply to this particular work, and the older I get, the more annoyed I am by Romeo and Juliet both.

Ryan North took the famous tale and explored its weaknesses, but he also added pretty much everything that crossed his mind, f
TL
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Monthly buddyread with Melissa :)
---

Melissa's review here

2.5 stars (extra rating for the artwork/pictures)

Not bad overall, parts of it were fun. I tried a few different paths to see what would happen and took turns as Juliet and one as Romeo.
There were some funny moments but most of the writing felt awkward to me... maybe aiming at a younger audience? (Speaking only for the paths I took)

Story got old quick though *shrugs* Not sure how to judge my progress but I (and Melissa) got through a fai
Courtney
May 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
I think that I'm just really bad at Choose-Your-Own-Adventure type books. My decisions almost always lead me to an early death or a premature resolution. I played this several times and never got beyond more than a chapter's worth of pages. I finally ended up just going through the book out of order, looking for the promised plot twists and hilarious illustrations but honestly, I was a bit disappointed. I just didn't find the book to be that funny. It was over-the-top and forced. Not my kind of ...more
Lexie
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned-read
I haven't gone through every path yet, but I've gone through quite a few. Mostly as Juliet (except when, as Juliet, I pretended to be Romeo trying to seduce Juliet, that is me, but then somehow became Romeo, now me, trying to seduce Juliet, now no longer me.) so I feel safe reviewing this a bit.

This is basically the best kind of fun to have with your friends--especially book lovers, English majors or Shakespeare lovers. North has an irreverent tone that, while it doesn't always work completely w
Book Riot Community
I’ve been wanting to read the Hamlet version of this, so when I saw this, I grabbed it out of curiosity and because I love the artists involved in these books. It was way more wacky and hilarious than I expected. I found myself flipping back and forth to read every path.

— Jessica Yang

from The Best Books We Read In December 2016: http://bookriot.com/2017/01/03/riot-r...
Selene
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I am not big on Romeo and Juliet but this was hilarious (mostly because it just made fun of them the entire time).
Nelson Zagalo
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cyoa
I must confess I expected a bit more. The reading playthrough is too short for a book with 400 pages. It makes for lots and lots of different possible universes with dozens of endings, from the most vulgar to the most craziest. However when each branch is starting to really pick your attention it ends, leaving a sentiment of frustration.

Also, Ryan North writing style is not my cup of tea, tries to much to be funny, making jokes with every little detail, even if some of the jokes are very well co
justonemorechapter
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book! I was eyeballing it for a few weeks before I picked it up as I wasn’t sure whether I’d be into the whole “choose as you go” thing. Turns out, I am! “Romeo And/Or Juliet” was a hilarious, smart, and entertaining book I will definitely be re-reading. I read the book in about 30 different ways, some ending after only ten pages, some making it much farther through the book. This novel was completely unpredictable, and because of that I was never bored.

One of my favourite th
Mattia Ravasi
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKKp7...

Star-rating systems are inherently ridiculous (said the guy who ranks books on YouTube), but here in particular those three stars are really a 5 and a 1 at the same time. This book is as much fun as sitting on your hand till it loses all sensibility, yet it's somehow hilarious and exciting too. Is it good interactive fiction? NO! Is it worth a spin? Absolutely.
Ashley
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
A+ for concept, but I didn't much like the execution. Tries way too hard to be funny, which makes it all fall flat for me, and the writing isn't particularly good.
Jeannette
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: eclectic-readers
If you like Choose Your Own Adventure books, you will probably enjoy this gamified version of Romeo and/or Juliet. North provides a great many paths to take with a variety of endings from the original tragic one to completely-laughable-and-almost-unrelated-to-the-actual-story ones (I lost it laughing at Romeo's stint as a maid! I still don't know why that's so funny!). In that sense, it's either a lot of fun or a great deal of stress, depending on what you were looking for in your adventure.

I p
Melissa
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious choose-your-own-adventure book! Just as I used to do with the ones I'd take from the library as a child, I read every single possible option. Nowadays it's easy using screenshots to do this. When I was a kid, I had to use a confusing mass of color-coded post-it notes. Isn't technology wonderful?

This book is particularly hilarious if you remember Romeo and Juliet very well. I wouldn't think that I'd remember it all that well because I haven't read it since high school. But that time I r
Brandon Forsyth
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Move over, No Fear Shakespeare. Ryan North's mashup of "Choose Your Own Adventure" novels and the Bard's most famous play is approximately 271 times more compelling, humorous, and enlightening than any Coles Notes rip-off. The genius of this book is in laying out very clearly which choices to pick to follow Shakespeare's play - if you want, you can essentially just read an updated version of the tale, replete with sassy modern commentary, or you can play out how some seemingly small changes to t ...more
Lara
I think I'm done with this one for now. I just can't seem to get past the beginning of the story, and I never really liked Romeo and Juliet anyway, and I just don't find this book as funny or surprising as To Be or Not To Be: A Chooseable-Path Adventure, and now I'm just bored. I think it's a case of, okay, I get it, but the joke's been done before and let's move on. You know?

But other people on here seem to be loving it, so what do I know?
Kalin
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another send-up in the spirit of To Be or Not To Be: A Chooseable-Path Adventure (though Juliet is much less rad than Ophelia). Captures a few subtle logical deficiencies in the original. Like:

“What?” Romeo says.
“I just met you, dude!” you say. “Yesterday. At, like, midnight. I’ve known you for less than twenty-four hours.”
“But I love you! This is romance! I love you and I love romance!” Romeo says, a little frantically.
“I like you too, Romeo, but I can’t marry you today. So, um . . . sorry?” yo
Rissa
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
So I “finished” meaning i chose a path and got to The End multiple times.
I wanted longer paths but otherwise it was fun and weird and something you can definitely pick up again and again and chose new paths and get new results.
Wanda

This was a fun idea and I really wanted to love it. It reminded me of many of the books that I bought from Scholastic Books during grades 6 and 7, puzzle books, mystery books, that a child could go through multiple times and still find new treats by taking different turns.

I don’t know how many times I started through this choose-your-own-adventure book, trying to actually follow the Bard’s version of the story, only to get distracted by goofy story lines that I just couldn’t pass by. Un
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
It's my first time ever reading a choose your own path book and Ryan North made it a ridiculously fun experience. As cool as the idea of the whole thing is and despite the adorable comical illustrations, I think there were too many paths and not enough time spent on each one so I got tired quite earlier than expected and didn't care to explore all the options anymore. That said, I did explore a handful though and was delighted about how I kept on getting happily-ever-after scenarios!
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit much, but fun nonetheless.

What’s interesting is when I went through as Juliet, I maintained my independence, never winding up with Romeo, even as I explored other options.
But when I went through as Romeo, I wound up with Juliet, successfully, with no need for anyone to die.
The nurse path is super-annoying.
And I think there are a couple other paths I didn’t stumble on. I’ll keep this on the shelf and pick it up again to see where else my adventures take me.
Valerie
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march-2017
Super entertaining! I haven't read a "choose-your-own-adventure" since I was a kid, so this was a very pleasant experience. The humor, the style, the 4th wall that practically didn't exist - all awesome. Definitely going to check out other books of Ryan North's.
Anelis
Do yourselves a favor and keep playing this untill you discover the secret character, it makes the experience even better!

I loved North's previous book so much that this one almost crumbled under the weight of my expectations. The two are so similar that it felt as if there weren't that many new ideas in it. Don't get me wrong, it's still amazing, witty, funny, charming, feminist and exciting. But it doesn't take your breath away like the first one did. Maybe it's because I read them fairly clos
Veronika
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is what I call a purely fun and light read. Picking out different choices for the characters - especially Juliet, because I liked her more - and seeing them get the happy ending(s) Shakespeare never thought to give them was amazing.

Romeo and/or Juliet, with its interactiveness and casual, full of slang writing, was just what I needed after my latest bookish disappointment. This will surely be a book I'll revisit later on to check out how else these characters' story could end besides the c
Beth Honeycutt
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely 4.5 stars! My students kept asking what I was reading because I laughed out loud many times:) I don't think I've ever read a "choose your own adventure" book but this was so fun! I know I didn't hit every path, but I did try to stray from the original R&J story often.
Atlas
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Juliet," your mom says, "don't you think this surprise mandatory arranged marriage is the most wonderful news??"

Do you:
Run past her, tear out of the house and never look back, or
Say "yes mom" automatically

* * * *
4 / 5

I picked this up when it was on sale at Waterstones on a whimsy and I have not been disappointed. This choose your own path adventure is jam packed with hilarious plotlines, gorgeous illustration, and bundles of fun. If you've never "read" a choose your own path book, essentially
Meredith
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: er-book-club
It was alright. Some parts were really funny, and other parts dragged on/had too many endings. I felt like there were too many choices and too little "meat" because most of the time you'd only read a sentence or two before having to choose yet another path. Because I was reading this for a book club discussion I was trying to read as many endings as I could in a short amount of time, and I think that took away some of the fun. I'd recommend reading little chunks of this as like a pallet cleanser ...more
M.L. Rio
Aug 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: shakespeare
Somehow wound up in a kinky gender-bending roleplay scenario with Romeo dressed as a lady cop? I think that's all you really need to know about this book. Absurd but hilarious, with just enough little inside jokes to keep Shakespeeps who really know their stuff from getting exasperated on the Bard's behalf. Great brain candy for smart people.
AnnaG
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2019
A really inventive take on Romeo and Juliet, it works well in Kindle where you can follow the links easily. I found some of the teenage angst a bit irritating and the idea of Juliet as a body-builder just didn't work for me.
Kirsti
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: drama, 2016, humor, fiction
This was cute. It taught me the terms "uggo" and "drop a vom." I liked that North apparently thought Juliet's character wasn't well-developed enough, so he decided that she is really into lifting weights.
Julia (Shakespeare and Such)
5/5 stars, so much fun! Full review to come!
Eclectic Readers: Romeo and/or Juliet 4 12 May 26, 2017 10:14AM
Eclectic Readers: Episode 35: Romeo and/or Juliet 4 12 May 23, 2017 06:17PM

• Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 2: Viral
  • Dear Creature
  • Snoring Beauty
  • Moa (Moa, #1)
  • Afterlife With Archie #1
  • Step Aside, Pops (Hark! A Vagrant, #2)
  • Lumberjanes: Unicorn Power! (Lumberjanes, #1)
  • Mangaman
  • Macbeth
  • The Good, the Bad and the Smug (YouSpace, #4)
  • The Wrap-Up List
  • Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery": The Authorized Graphic Adaptation
  • The Carbon Diaries 2017 (Carbon Diaries, #2)
  • The Wasp That Brainwashed the Caterpillar: Evolution's Most Unbelievable Solutions to Life's Biggest Problems
  • The Saga of Rex
  • The Building
  • Heathen Vol. 1 (Heathen, #1)
  • Guys Can Be Cat Ladies Too
Hi, I'm Ryan! I was born in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in 1980 and since then have written several books. You can read my Wikipedia page for more, or check out my author site at RyanNorth.ca!

I'm the author of the webcomic Dinosaur Comics (that's the comic where the pictures don't change but the words do, it's better than it sounds and I've also done crazy things like turn Shakespeare into a choose-yo

Chooseable-Path Adventures (2 books)
  • To Be or Not To Be: A Chooseable-Path Adventure
“It's sad, and you're sad, but as you reflect on the three wonderful years you shared you begin to realize that relationships can be a success even if they end in a breakup. They have to, right? Otherwise every relationship you've ever had and ever will have will be a failure unless one or both of you DIES, and that's baloney. That's straight up baloney sandwiches.” 0 likes
“Everyone loves brunch. OBVIOUSLY, but you super-love brunch. You are so big into brunch that your middle name should be "Brunch"...” 0 likes