Jump to ratings and reviews

Psychic Eye Mystery #14

A Grave Prediction

In Victoria Laurie's latest Psychic Eye Mystery, Abby Cooper learns that following the money often leads to murder....

When Abby is sent to Los Angeles to help train FBI officers to use their intuition, she encounters a case that only she can solve: a series of bank robberies in which the thieves made off with loads of cash but left no clues. Abby's sixth sense leads her team to a tract of land recently cleared for development, where she gets a vision of four buried bodies. However, a site search turns up only ancient bones and pottery from an American Indian tribe, which is enough to delay construction for years.

With a furious developer and dubious FBI agents on her back, Abby is losing credibility fast. But Abby's talent rarely leads her astray, and if the bodies aren't there yet, that means four deaths can still be stopped. She'll just have to dig a little deeper....

306 pages, Hardcover

First published July 26, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Victoria Laurie

40 books2,935 followers
Victoria Laurie is the New York Times bestselling author of 32 books and counting. Over the past 16 years Victoria has created several series and a few stand-alone novels. Her mystery series include: The Psychic Eye Mysteries, The Life Coach Mysteries, and The Ghost Hunter Mysteries. She's also the author of two YA books, When and Forever Again, as well as a middle-grade series called The Oracles of Delphi Keep.

Currently, Victoria is working on the 17th book in both the Psychic Eye Mysteries and the 3rd book in the Life Coach Mysteries, along with also working to produce a brand NEW series called Spellbound set for release winter/spring 2020.

Victoria loves to connect with her fans, and you can find her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Victo...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
14 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 181 reviews
April 22, 2018
Oh, my, Abby's so affectionate in her personal dealings throughout the series. I can't have enough of this fabulous series!

Can't wait for this book to happen.

Yes, I rate it 5 right away, before I even get my hands on it, while it's even being written. I do it because I can, because I want to and because I feel like doing it. Of course I will review my rating appropriately after I actually read the book. Though, frankly speaking, I don't think the rating will change as all the prequel books have been superb up to date!

Oh, baby, yes, I want this book to be published already!!!!! Dd 05 Jan 2016

DD 3 Dec 2016. I know what I'm gonna do with this book. It's going to be the last read in 2016 book. It's going to be another NY present to myself! YAY! A worthy ending to a pretty decent year. Nope, that won't cut it. To a truly miraculous year! Cheers!

I just like the way Abby's abilities are formulated throughout this series. She even teaches other people how to harness their intuition powers. It feels refreshing after the rather notoriously overstated ones that we usually see in paranormal fiction.

DD 21 Apr 2018. A reread, a very swift one. I really want to forget this series and read it once again from the scratch!

Q:
I swirled the drink and frowned. “Because nothing I do seems to be good enough for these guys. I mean, Agent Hart is awesome. We had a late lunch together and I swear you’d like her too, Candice. But the other ones . . . Man! They’re just cold, you know?”
“Why do you need them to be all warm and fuzzy toward you?”
I made a face at her. “Come on, Candice, you know me better than that. I want them to think I’m awesome because I’m emotionally needy. Like . . . duh!”“Ah,” she said. “Yes, I forgot. Your parents didn’t love you and the rest of the world has to pay.”
“Can I help it if I had a crappy childhood that left me broken and damaged beyond repair?”
She grinned. “No, I suppose not. And for the record, you are neither broken nor damaged beyond repair. Dented, maybe, but not broken.”
“That, right there, is the reason I love you. You just get me.” For emphasis, I saluted her with my drink. And then I got serious.
(c)
Profile Image for Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey).
1,372 reviews471 followers
August 2, 2016
While I like this series, the mystery was predictable. Once it was mention for the first of many times the characteristics of the criminals, I knew who the culprits were. And she kept hammering that detail a few more times. And I can't understand why they as smart women didn't put it together sooner. It was way too obvious. Plus the fact that they never considered that an option only made it more obvious. Anyway, if I heard about my radar and the explanations about it one more time, I would scream. We are 14 books in, mention the explanation of radar once for the readers who started the series in the middle and let it go for the rest of us faithful followers. We don't need a million and one reminders. The narrator was pretty good. And I will probably read the next book in the series.
Profile Image for Linda.
1,188 reviews
August 15, 2016

I've enjoyed reading this series, but for some reason, certain things about Abby really grated in this book.

Abby is thirty-seven years old and, as she frequently reminds us, considers herself a professional and wishes to be treated as such. Yet she too often has the speech and demeanor of a petulant teen. This comment covers it well:

"Candice makes me act the role of a grown-up more than anyone I know. It's totes annoying."

She also refers to things as "amazeballs." What thirty-seven-year-old "professional" woman speaks like that? But, worse than this, her actions were childish as well. When faced with skepticism for her psychic abilities, she resorted to angry, sarcastic retorts and took great joy in passive-aggressive "told-you-so" smugness. To be fair, Candice did make her realize her overreactions to slights were counterproductive, but she did nothing to rein things in.

Aside from Abby's adolescent speech patterns and unprofessional behavior, I found it frustrating that she and Candice ignored the signs pointing to the obvious culprits in this case. I almost felt like resorting to an Abby-worthy "Well, duh" when she and Candice finally figured things out.

I'll probably read the next book in the series--from the library--but with my fingers crossed that Abby will grow up a bit in the interim.
Profile Image for Ell.
459 reviews54 followers
February 23, 2018
The premise of the books has promise and is interesting. The author knows how to write well and has talent. However, I found the main character totally unlikable and immature. She complains about everything, can do nothing on her own and uses the slang of a preteen (the rolling of her eyes, the constant sarcasm, the use of words like: amazeballs, obvs, totes, for reals). Abby is supposed to be 37 years old and successful, after all! I like my cozy characters clever, not mean-spirited and immature.
Profile Image for Sally Ember.
Author 4 books167 followers
December 20, 2016
I have read most of the books from ( Victoria Laurie Victoria Laurie, in both this and her other series, and am usually entertained and somewhat informed. This, A Grave Prediction, "A Grave Prediction," was no exception.

I was glad that the focus was more on the interplay between the protagonist, Abby Cooper, and her best friend, P.I. Candice, and their detective/psychic detective work than on their respective romances, as in previous books.

Unfortunately, with one exception (a female FBI agent), all the other characters were thinly and stereotypically drawn and acted predictably, as cardboard cut-outs to advance the plot. The plot had several twists and several crimes included, so it was interesting in that way, though.

The writing in this book was best when the author had Abby describe her using her psychic abilities and her interpretations of what she "got" to solve the various crimes in the story. Points for that, for sure.

Not Laurie's best, but fun to read, for the most part.
Profile Image for Moondance.
1,008 reviews49 followers
November 24, 2019
The thing I hate about the future is that it's so freaking unpredictable.

Abby has basically been forced to report to the LA FBI division by Director Gaston to teach them how to be intuitive and to help close some cold cases. She is told that she is not allowed to take Candice, Dutch or Brice with her. Candice of course finds a way around that. Abby wins over an FBI agent but alienates most of the rest.

This was an interesting addition to the series with it being out of the comfort zone of Austin, Texas. It was nice to see Abby and Candice going head to head with the bad guys with the "boys" along for the ride. The plot was well thought out and i enjoyed how cases intermingled.

Abby cracks me up every time I read this series. (Fatal Fortune being an exception because it made me cry.) I would love to be friends with her and Candice. I couldn't hang with Candice's exercise routine, but I'm thinking not many people could!

The investigation was sound and they actually did most of it without breaking any laws. That's always a plus for Abby. The culprits came as a bit of a surprise but really made sense when you thought about it.

This is a most enjoyable series that I really reading. I am looking forward to the next book.
Profile Image for Daniele.
1,031 reviews28 followers
June 26, 2017

Laurie always writes a satisfyingly complex mystery. Tons of seemingly unrelated threads always weave together to make one cohesive story. This is my favorite thing about the series, and this tale dealing with bank robberies and future murders is no exception. However, Abby came across as way younger than her 37 years. Too much slang (that people her age do not use), too many nicknames, too much talk about Abby's unhealthy diet.

I received a copy of this title from the publisher and voluntarily shared my thoughts here.
Profile Image for Lorraine.
1,002 reviews79 followers
August 1, 2020
Victoria Laurie’s A Grave Prediction (A Psychic Eye Mystery #14) has it all. By this I mean the characters include strong women (which I love), men who need to be educated to new possibilities, more than one mystery to be solved at the same time, and belief in what one thinks is impossible. The author is a “ a gifted intuitive “ who does professional readings, and she has put some of her personal experiences into her protagonist, Abby Cooper, who has just been assigned to go to LA and ‘teach’ the mostly male FBI agents that using their intuition can help them solve their cases. Abby has been successful with her Austin, Texas team, but she truly does not want to go to LA and put up with all ‘the stuff’’ she knows she will receive from this predominantly male FBI team. Abby talks her ‘boss’ into allowing her best friend, Candy, a PI, to accompany her, but all this will still be a real pain. The author’s writing made this reader feel ‘right at home’. This mystery is fascinating, frustrating, and even fun! My husband told me a while back “Your intuition scares me to death.” I wonder why? 4.5 stars
Profile Image for Jessica (a GREAT read).
1,651 reviews102 followers
December 17, 2018
I decided it was time to get back to the Psychic Eye series as it's been way too long since I read one of Victoria Laurie's novels! As expected, A Grave Prediction was a delightful paranormal mystery read, light on the paranormal for this series since it stems from Abby's psychic abilities. But it's a series I've been reading for years and I love it to pieces! You can pretty much jump in at any certain point and follow along fairly well, the only thing you really miss out on are the personal connections and relationships Abby develops as well as her friends.

In this one, Abby is sent to LA by the higher ups to help out the FBI office there with "intuition" training. Basically, she's to help them out like she helps out the branch in her hometown. But the LA feds aren't as nice as her coworkers, nor are they as open to psychics either. She's able to win one over with some sound advice on her case, and it's not long before Kelsey's got her back. But when she's trying to help out with a string of bank robberies, her intuition leads her to a clearing where there are at least four bodies. When they get to digging though, the only body they find is that of a Native American from long ago. Which means that Abby's intuition was telling her about bodies that would be bury there sometime in the future.

Having made a bit of a public mockery of things, Abby is "relieved" of her training duties, but she and Candice (who tagged along for moral support despite not being invited or asked by the LA FBI) aren't giving up. There's more to this case then just the robberies and they haven't been able to find the connections yet, but they are trying their best.

And it seems Candice is doing her best to "kill" Abby too. Kill her with exercise! If you've followed this series at any point, you know that Candice is the fitness fiend and Abby...isn't. Yet in this book, Abby is actually exercising and sometimes sorta dieting! Lol. It was a weird transition for Abby and she kind of goes back and forth with the liking it and not liking it, but she wouldn't be Abby if she didn't!

Since she was separated from Dutch for the near entirety of this novel there was no romance in this one. Though we did get to spend plenty of time with Abby and Candice being besties, so that was fun and refreshing too! I also liked that Kelsey took to them fairly quick. I kind of hope she'll make a pop up appearance in future books as she was generally a decent character and good person!

Mystery wise this one was creepy and edgy! There was murder, robberies, scandals...it's a book that kept me turning the pages, obviously, since I read it all in one day! Woohoo! I haven't done that in ages it feels like! It was amazing to be able to do that again! And clearly, if I was reading this all in one day, it's a book that was fast paced and literally, a page-turner! I've pretty much never read a Victoria Laurie book that wasn't a page-turner! I only have one more Psychic Eye left in my TBR pile, I am not 100% sure if it's the series finale or if Victoria had to take a break from writing this year. Within her newsletter she kind of indicated that things happened this year that kind of threw off her writing game, so in the long run, I hope it means that Abby still has a few adventures left in her! I'm even more glad to know, through that newsletter, that Victoria has things back on track for herself! That's always good to know!

I still can't quite remember how I came to this series exactly. I think I just had the bright cheerful cover pop out at me at Borders one day and I decided to give it a go, because mystery and a psychic? What could go wrong? And I happy to report after 14 books, (so far, since I have one left to read) nothing has! If you're looking for that light and cozy mystery that has an added dose of paranormal tendencies, you can't go wrong with Victoria Laurie! Both her series are incredible and I can never recommend them enough to mystery lovers!

Overall Rating 5/5 stars
Profile Image for Karen.
503 reviews54 followers
August 10, 2016
Where to start with A Grave Prediction...utterly fabulous, exciting and fun. I could not put down A Grave Prediction by Victoria Laurie for all the right reasons. The mysteries in this story were incredible and very well thought out, the setting, the intrigue and the relationships that continue to grow and get so much more interesting with each book are one of the reasons this is such a fabulous paranormal cozy series. This is a great "weekend getaway with you your best friends" type of book. The hardcover copy of A Grave Prediction is worth the investment for the story tucked so neatly between the covers. This was a truly great read. A perfect example of why this long running series is so good!
Profile Image for Stacia.
272 reviews1 follower
May 17, 2017
I don't want to let go of this series because I do love the characters a lot, and their stories have meant a lot to me. I want to keep reading! But I feel like they've also gotten more judgmental and mean-spirited over time. I'm not in love with them doing bad things for the right reasons, especially when those "right reasons" are debatable. Some things really resonate, other things feel like... we should've gotten past them. I like Candice and Abby a lot! As friends, as equals. I don't need Candice teaching Abby how to be an adult. I don't need her to police Abby's diet or teach her how to be kind (and the past couple books have been shocking, with how defensive and vengeful Abby is. I don't remember it being like this).
53 reviews
September 15, 2016
I love most of this author's books. I have read and enjoyed all the other books in the series.
This one just did not do it for me. I agree with another reviewer, the trendy phrases Abby uses in the book just seem out of place..totoes, amazeballs,etc.... Also maybe I was just not in the mood for this type of story, but the resolution and things Abby and Candice had to do to make it happen just did not sit well with me. After reading I was kind of like ick, what can I read now that will cheer me up some.
Profile Image for Gigi.
Author 36 books1,153 followers
August 13, 2016
Another stellar entry in the Abby Cooper Psychic Eye mystery series that kept me up reading far too late into the night to find out what would happen next.
Profile Image for OpenBookSociety.com .
3,809 reviews116 followers
July 2, 2017

A Psychic Eye Mystery, Book #14
By Victoria Laurie
ISBN 9780451473882
Author’s website: www.victorialaurie.com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

Synopsis:

In Victoria Laurie’s new Psychic Eye mystery, Abby Cooper learns that following the money often leads to murder . . .

Professional psychics learn to deal with skeptics, but Abby has to prepare herself for one steep uphill battle when she’s sent to Los Angeles to help train FBI officers to use their intuition. Her first challenge: a series of bank robberies in which the thieves made off with loads of cash but left no clues.

Abby’s sixth sense leads her team to a tract of land recently cleared for development. But instead of finding clues to the cash, Abby gets a vision of four buried bodies. A site search turns up some bones and pottery from an American Indian tribe, but that’s still enough to delay construction for years.

With a furious developer and dubious FBI agents on her back, Abby is losing credibility fast. But unlike the best laid plans, Abby’s talent rarely leads her astray. And if the bodies aren’t there yet, that means that four deaths can still be stopped. She’ll just have to dig a little deeper . . .

Review:

A Grave Prediction is only the second of fourteen mysteries in the series that I’ve read, and I definitely enjoy Abby’s wit and escapades and appreciate her work, even if I am kind of a … uh … skeptic. This is offering number 14 of the Psychic Eye Mystery series and it can be read as a stand-alone mystery.

Abby is on the road again with her best bud and partner in crime-solving, Candice. The FBI group in Los Angeles is not delighted with the recommendation received from the Austin, Texas office who hires Abby as a consultant. She will teach the agents in L.A. how to use their intuition when working cases. It was also recommended that they seek her help with cold or challenging cases. Candice didn’t want her bestie to go into the atmosphere of skepticism by herself, so she surprised Abby at the airport, packed bag and ticket in hand. Their husbands would be left behind in the Austin office while Abby would WOW the agents in L.A. with her psychic abilities.

Not only were the agents skeptical, they were hostile, especially those she called out for giving her fake cases with a side of snarky. Oopsie, first error. The real case she was presented with had interesting components. Agent Hart invited Abby the next day to go with her and other agents as they executed a search warrant on a huge, ultra-luxury mansion where they suspected a ring of high-dollar art thieves and fencing. They found a reason to get a warrant to look at the books, and hoped that Abby could help them find the home’s hidden wine cellar.

The case that Abby was invited to study afterwards was a series of robberies at several branches of the same bank. Abby and Candice went to the branches; they could find some weak spots in the security or lack thereof in each branch. Abby followed the instincts that drove her. She ‘saw’ four young women buried on a new development within view of the bank. Big oopsie! When the digging began, the bones discovered were that of a Native American who had been buried for many years, shutting down the work. That hasn’t happened before, and Abby was very concerned as she knew there was more involved than the bank robberies.

Abby and Candice are extremely well-described. Their husbands, Dutch and Brice, are well defined but not as much as their brides. Agent Hart was defined more than the other agents.

She is someone I would like to see in an upcoming mystery should Abby travel again for the FBI. Abby is a strong protagonist most of the time; when she falters, it is either Dutch or Candice who help keep her from falling. One ‘fun’ thing this time is Candice working on Abby to eat healthier and exercise. I’m not sure that we would still be BFF’s had it been me in the hotel room with Candice! Eating healthy wouldn’t be quite so bad if one could have chocolate or sweet potato fries once in a while. But to get up in the middle of the night to jog or work out? The temptation to feel as wonderful as Abby when she realized the endorphins kicked in was tempting…but I’ll leave the jogging to Candice! I also found it interesting to read some of the revelations Abby’s friend gave her regarding some of her actions and reactions. Good stuff.

The plot was uniquely crafted in such a way that this reader was puzzling over early on. The bank robberies lent themselves to varied theories based on how they were conducted, but who the real bad guy(s)/ gal(s) might be were fascinating as I ‘watched’ Abby and Candice work through the clues. I enjoyed the LOL humor; the author is adept at mixing the serious with the seriously funny. I enjoyed this mystery from beginning to end, finding it hard to put down for anything. The end came much too soon, and was almost a total surprise! The tension from the over-the-top scenes of suspense was worth riding the tilt-a-whirl to the end of the mystery.

I highly recommend A Grave Prediction to those who appreciate paranormal cozy mysteries that are very well written and include humor. I might suggest that if a reader is sensitive to four-letter words, to be aware that there are more instances than traditional cozy mysteries. *

*OBS would like to thank the publisher for supplying a free copy of this title in exchange for an honest review*

Psychic Eye Mystery, Book #14
By Victoria Laurie
ISBN#9780451473882
Author’s website: www.Victorialaurie.com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele
3 Stars

Synopsis:

When Abby is sent to Los Angeles to help train FBI officers to use their intuition, she encounters a case that only she can solve: a series of bank robberies in which the thieves made off with loads of cash but left no clues. Abby’s sixth sense leads her team to a tract of land recently cleared for development, where she gets a vision of four buried bodies. However, a site search turns up only ancient bones and pottery from an American Indian tribe, which is enough to delay construction for years.

With a furious developer and dubious FBI agents on her back, Abby is losing credibility fast. But Abby’s talent rarely leads her astray, and if the bodies aren’t there yet, that means four deaths can still be stopped. She’ll just have to dig a little deeper….

Review:

Psychic and FBI consultant Abby Cooper is not thrilled when she is told she has no choice but to go to the Los Angeles field office and teach the agents how to use intuition in solving their cases. That is the official reason. In truth, Abby stepped on some political toes while solving her last case, and she must now prove she is worth keeping in the FBI’s budget. Knowing that Abby does not want to go, and will surely face some pushback from the skeptical agents, her best friend Candice surprises her at the airport to go along as emotional support.

In L.A. Abby does not only find skepticism and an icy reception but outright hostility and test after test of her abilities. She thinks that providing the agents with crucial information that will lead to taking down a black market stolen art ring is enough, but only one agent is swayed to her side. Next, Abby is asked to look at a string of bank robberies where the thieves have left absolutely no clues, but she is distracted by graves in an area adjacent to one of the bank branches. Sure that there are four murder victims there, she is shocked when only very old Native American burials are found. This does not endear her to the agents, but the more she thinks about it the more she is convinced that the victims will be buried there in the future. How does she solve a crime that has not yet happened? How does this land slated for development tie into the bank robberies? She and Candice will get to the bottom of things with or without the FBI’s assistance.

There are several uncoordinated plot threads presented in A Grave Prediction, and, at first, it all seems like a big mess. Slowly but surely, Laurie weaves them all together to make one cohesive story. This complicated mystery is what saves this book for me. It kept me thinking for a good portion of the book, and the final piece of the puzzle did come as somewhat of a surprise to me. I enjoyed going along with Abby as she connected the dots. However, there was a lot of repetition of information throughout the book.

Truthfully, I do not like any of the characters this time around. The FBI agents, with the exception of Hart, are cookie cutter and downright nasty to Abby. Abby is snarky, passive aggressive, and pouty herself. For someone who is supposed to be thirty-seven years old and a professional woman, she is often immature and handles dealings with other people poorly. Her best friend Candace should not have to “teach” her how to be an adult. Abby uses totally age inappropriate slang (amazeballs, totes, etc) and comes across as someone much younger. She annoyed me at least once on almost every single page. Too much complaining, too many nicknames, too much talk about diets, too much doing the “wrong” thing for the “right reason”.

Laurie’s fans will probably enjoy this fourteenth book in her long running Psychic Eye series. I liked it but did not love it. Just as an FYI, these books are edgier than most cozy mysteries and have harsher language.

Profile Image for Linda.
1,305 reviews18 followers
April 12, 2018
This is a fantastic series! While I don't know how much I believe in psychics, I haven't closed my mind against the idea either.

What I liked about this book especially is that Abby Cooper, a psychic who helps the FBI, is sent to the FBI office in LA to help them with some cold cases. Once there she meets with great opposition from the good old boys. She is able to get one female agent as an ally. Abby is supposed to dig up clues psychically on some serial bank robberies, but instead her intuition leads her to a hillside being developed near one of the banks where she says 4 bodies are buried. When the remains of a Native American buried long ago is unearthed and closes down the whole project, Abby is fired. But the plot is always convoluted and Abby comes through, solving several mysteries and earning the respect of the LA FBI. Abby is sometimes snarky, which I'm sure turns some readers off but I like it.

I love, love, love this series!
Profile Image for Dawn.
624 reviews10 followers
August 10, 2020
In the acknowledgements, Ms. Laurie thanked her editor, who she said worked on the previous two books. It shows, and she should thank her. I was getting annoyed because in several of the prior books, Abby ignored her intuition, which led her to trouble. That seemed out of character and made Abby appear stupid. In the last few, I've noticed she specifically mentions always trusting her gut, even when what it's telling her doesn't make sense. That seems far more in line with Abby's character and what someone who has been psychic all her life would do. I'm glad the editor got Ms. Laurie back on track because I really enjoyed this one. It even made me want to start eating healthy and working out (almost!)! I look forward to the next one and hope she keeps this editor around.
Profile Image for SouthWestZippy.
1,891 reviews8 followers
August 22, 2017
Taken from the jacket cover. "Professional psychics learn to deal with skeptics, but Abby has to prepare herself for a steep uphill battle when she's sent to Los Angeles to help train FBI officers to use their intuition. The Bureau is struggling to solve a series of bank robberies in which the thieves made off with loads of cash but left no clues." There is more of the synopsis but I am not adding it.
I don't find myself commenting on jacket cover synopsis often but I am going too on this one. To me it gives way to much information and detail on the story line which kills some of the suspense. Ok, done with that complaint.
Abby is sassy as ever with I love. Story line is fun but at the same time creepy. I do wish the reveal of the criminal been more of a ah ha moment for the FBI's in Abby's findings and putting it all to together. I am still enjoying this series.
Profile Image for Teresa.
1,159 reviews6 followers
August 7, 2016
This book would have been so much better if there was more action and drama. There was too much repetitive dialogue and talk about their exercise & diet regimen. A pet peeve of mine, is when authors repeat the same information in each of their books. If you are going to write a series, keep your loyal readers in mind and not explain the same things in each book. We remember. If you want new readers to understand make a glossary or something. We have read 14 times the source of the character's nickname, how she can tell if someone is dead in a photo, how her "radar"/visions work, or about her crew of guides, etc. We know. It gets really old and tedious.
Profile Image for Lisa Ks Book Reviews.
843 reviews105 followers
August 2, 2016
Victoria Laurie fans will be thrilled (as always) with this new installment in the Psychic Eye Mystery series.

In reading A GRAVE PREDICTION I fully expected another para-cozy addition to author Laurie’s long running series. While it is that, I’ve noticed this series is becoming more of a series that will also pull in non-cozy fans readers, as it breaks the cozy bonds just a little.

A GRAVE PREDICTION will have even the most seasoned mystery readers guessing and struggling to find answers. There are plenty of clues, but not until the reveal did they then make sense to me. Well done.
Profile Image for Victoria.
861 reviews1 follower
July 7, 2017
4/10. Again, don't like Abby. She gets so angry at the dumbest things that by now she should have grown a tougher hide. Also she is clueless about most things and that makes me think whenever she gets pregnant her BFF will know before she does. And that, in a book about a psychic, will make ME angry.
Profile Image for Toni.
1,323 reviews40 followers
August 26, 2020
5 stars

This is the fourteenth book in the Psychic Eye mystery series by Victoria Laurie.

Wow! I just can’t get enough of this series. Probably my favorite series right now. It is totally my jam and filling a need in my heart!

Abby has both instant insights in this and also those insights that take a while to ferret out. Seems like the FBI is always wanting to test her abilities at every turn. But she makes a believer out of them. Love this underdog. She always makes a way an pulls through no matter the circumstance.

This starts out as a straight forward bank robbery case and it soon spirals out of control when Abby senses dead bodies not far from the latest bank robbery. I am pretty sure this case wouldn’t have been solved without Abby’s assistance. It was complex and completely entertaining. Love seeing her and Candice making teamwork look like a piece of cake.

Great series that I plan on reading more of. Highly recommended.

If you like cozy mysteries, definitely check this one out. You won’t be disappointed.

I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.
2,701 reviews18 followers
November 11, 2018
In this book, Abby Cooper is sent to the FBI office in Los Angeles to train the agents. However when she arrives she is taken for a kook except for one female agent who uses Abby to solve a big case. When Abby sees something and tells two other agents and nothing turns up she is fired and told to leave Los Angeles. Of course, Abby doesn't leave and with Candance's help they continue trying to figure out the case of bank robberies. The book was a quick easy read.
Profile Image for Dolly Sandor.
528 reviews36 followers
July 21, 2016
I’ve read all the books in the Abby Cooper Psychic Eye Mystery series and I can honestly recommend them to anyone who just likes to read. There’s mystery, a bit of paranormal, and some romance.

What I liked: Ms Laurie doesn’t disappoint in giving the reader an exciting adventure. Her stories are well written, logically written, and the initial characters are still as good, if not better, than when the series started.

Abby is a psychic but she doesn’t have all the answers. Her “visions” are bits and pieces and requires Abby to use her brain and yes, she does have one. I can’t stress that enough. Being as snarky as she is and a bit high maintenance, you might think she’s an airhead and nothing could be farther from the truth. One of my favorite characteristics about Abby is she’s wily. Yup, wily! She’s realistic in knowing not everyone is going to believe and accept her as a psychic especially when she consults on FBI cases.

In A Grave Prediction, Abby is on loan to the Los Angeles FBI offices to help them connect with their inner instincts and hopefully solve some cases. She’s originally supposed to go by herself and that makes her a bit uncomfortable as the current FBI agents she works with, including her husband and his boss, who just happens to be married to her best friend, all have every confidence in her ability. She���s not ready for the skepticism she knows she will face at her new assignment. Believe me, there are a lot of doubts about her abilities but being LA, there are self-professed psychics on every street corner and the local FBI needs a bit of convincing.

Candice, her best friend, is not supposed to go along but since when doesn’t your best friend not have your back. I think when Ms Laurie introduced Candice as a regular in the series, the series only got better. The predicaments Abby and Candice get into take the stories to a whole new level. I think most readers could identify with having a BFF. Candice and Abby also complement each other’s personalities very well.

Abby is immediately tested by the LA FBI team. They try to trip her up and she’s not having it. Enter the snark and the chip on the shoulder attitude. However, things do seem to get better when she helps solve one case but then things start going a bit sideways. Yeah, that’s all I can say.

What I didn’t like: Now, if you don’t like snark and high maintenance heroines, you might be a bit put off, but if you hang around and dig a bit deeper, you’ll enjoy not just A Grave Prediction but the whole series.

And here I go getting on my cost of e-books bandwagon! Ms Laurie's last several books have been released in hardcover but the e-books were released at $7.99 pricing. A Grave Prediction can be pre-ordered for $12.99. I really don't get it. If you are limited on your book allowance, I highly recommend using your library for this book. (Yeah, I know Ms Laurie has nothing to do with the pricing).

I received an ARC from NetGalley for a fair and honest review.

Highly Recommended but please start with the first in the series, Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye.
Profile Image for Nancy.
1,176 reviews40 followers
July 16, 2016
My thanks to Netgalley and Berkley Publishing Group for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.

After reading Victoria Laurie’s last book in her Ghost Hunter series (which was her best by far), I wanted to see if she had stepped up her game with her Psychic Eye Mystery series. I do have to say that it is on par with her last in this series, Sense of Deception, and there were even parts where I found myself laughing out loud.

In addition to her work consulting with the Austin FBI cold case division, Abby Cooper is now being loaned out to the Los Angeles division. A group of hardnosed detectives that have no interest in her so-called abilities. When Abby hits the ground running and gives a very brief reading in the elevator, she slowly wins over Special Agent Hart. She has a case that is going nowhere and with a bit of help things begin to come together nicely. That is until Abby is asked to work on a series of bank robberies that quickly escalate (or deescalate depending on your view) when she is drawn to a field that is being leveled for housing and she detects graves and bodies. Still trying to prove herself as a true asset, Abby has a tough uphill battle that might just come down to the wire for both her and the bodies that will fill the graves.

Whether it is claircognizance or clairvoyance, Abby needs all of her gifts to get to the bottom of these cases. She is being challenged, but that is nothing new. With Candice, the type of friend that everyone should have by their side, this duo is facing down both an evil sociopath and a very dysfunctional family. Abby and Candice may not play by all the rules, but when it comes to protecting those that need it most, they will do what it takes.

I love the Psychic Eye books that include Candice Fusco. The teaming up of Abby and Candice makes for an interesting romp and Candice’s humor and matter of fact timing keeps me both engaged and laughing throughout the whole book. Ms. Laurie, we need to see more of Candice.
Profile Image for JadeShea.
3,148 reviews62 followers
November 22, 2018
In this book Abby is being forced to go to L.A. to help the FBI there. However, she's going to encounter a whole lot of people that don't want her there, and they end up making her life hell.

As Abby tries to figure out what is going on with this case, and why her ability seems to be messed up a little, she does her best to work with the FBI. But that is cut short pretty quickly! Abby and Candice do their best to solve the crime before it is too late.

This book was good, and I really enjoyed it. The only downside was it felt like it ended rather abruptly, and that was annoying.

Other than that I liked that Abby was doing something different for the FBI, that was really cool. She helped a different branch and that was awesome. I look forward to more in this series now.
1 review
September 26, 2020
Abby is not in a great place. She is feeling really down about the people, including her own parents, who don't believe in her abilities. So what does her best friend Candice do to cheer her up? She calls her fat. Could she use some exercise to help with her feel better? Sure. But that's not at all how it was approached. I feel like the second half of the book was really drawn out with information about their fitness journey. I'm waiting for them to catch the bad guys. I don't care if they ran 5 miles and ate a smoothie first.
Profile Image for Susan Landowski.
365 reviews1 follower
October 18, 2016
Abby Heads to LA and Sceptics Again

Absolutely love this author and this series. They get better and better. Especially the partnership between Abbie and Candice. This was a unigue plot with multiple directions to follow and lots of surprises. Lots of humor, scepticism to overcome and adventure. Read
778 reviews10 followers
October 22, 2016
Actually this is one of Victoria's better books. A good concentration on both Abby and Candice. Their friendships and how they work together. The conclusion was interesting. This can be read fast and glad because I had check it out of the library and their is a really long waiting list.
1,008 reviews1 follower
December 23, 2016
Wow, this was an old-fashioned page-turning who done it. The story kept moving quickly forward with clues that didn't connect. An added plus was that neither Abby nor Candice's lives were in danger. It was sad that Dutch & Brice were sidelined in this story, but still, I couldn't put it down.
Profile Image for Amber.
572 reviews41 followers
August 25, 2016
It wasn't my favorite of the series but it was still pretty good. It was easier for me to put down and walk away from then some of the others.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 181 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.