Start by marking “Ooko” as Want to Read:
Ooko

Ooko

Ooko has everything a fox could want: a stick, a leaf and a rock. Well, almost everything . . . Ooko wants someone to play with too! The foxes in town always seem to be playing with their two-legged friends, the Debbies. Maybe if he tries to look like the other foxes, one of the Debbies will play with him too. But when Ooko finally finds his very own Debbie, things do ...more
Published July 5th 2016 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about Ooko, please sign up.
Jenn Esme Shapiro, the author/illustrator for the book.

Start your review of Ooko
Morris
“Ooko” is an adorable picture book about a fox learning the beauty of just being yourself. The simple wording and quirky illustrations will keep children both young and old entertained. I found myself laughing out loud at Ooko’s sense of humor and little bit of sass. Highly recommended!

This review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
KC
THIS WAS SUCH A FUNNY STORY!!! I loved the art work and the dialog between Ooko and herself. Delightful!!
Christie Angleton
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friendship
Can I just say how much I LOVE that there's a woman with hairy legs in this book?!
Cheryl
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
If the message were actually 'be true to yourself,' as the blurb promises, it still wouldn't be a great book because there are so many others that are so much better.... However, the message is clearly stated, twice, at the end, "To each his own." Wtf?!
Sandra
Ooko is a fox, and he is looking for a friend. He is excited when he finds another fox, who is actually a dog, playing with a fur less two-legged fox, who is actually a girl named Debbie. But Debbie and the dog run away when he gets closer to play with them. Ooko is very upset. He really wants to have his own debbie to play with, but it seems debbies doesn't like him. What do the other foxes have that he doesn't? Ooko tries very hard to be like the other foxes until a short sighted woman mistake ...more
Kaethe Douglas
Almost unbearably cute. Look closely at that cover. That is a fat, happy fox. That is a fox with a good stick. Please look at this book. No one would, at home, even though I begged.

Library copy
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

In Esme Shapiro's distinctive debut picture book, readers are taken on a rather unpredictable, entertaining and sweet journey with a lonely fox named Ooko. Ooko, as we learn from the description, lives under a log and has, in his possession, a rock, a leaf and a stick...but sadly, no friends. Where will Ooko be able to find a friend to call his own? Ooko, to his delight, observes some other different looking foxes (actually dogs!) playing with their two-legged human friends and runs off to make
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4 STARS
2016; Tundra Books/Penguin Random House Canada

Ooko, is a fox with a stick, leaf and rock BUT he does not have a friend to play with. Ooko then goes on a journey to find a friend and encounters different kind of "foxes".

I love the artwork in this picture book and think children will be attracted by it as well. The story is very sweet about finding a friend to play with, and discovering the differences in people. It is an easy read for those just learning. I would recommend this gre
Amy Holland
so charming! ooko is a fox who gets mistaken for a dog by a wacky lady (who has hairy legs! it's a small detail, but as a feminist, i noticed and appreciated it!). At first ooko is excited because he thinks he's found a friend, but the excitement deflates when he's forced to endure a bath and then wear an itchy sweater. he is encouraged to sneak away by a raccoon (who likes all the same things he does), and the wacky lady doesn't even notice because her real dog finds its way home. I liked that ...more
This is a sweet little, funny book about friendship. Ooko is lonely, and so seeks a friend. And so Ooko goes to see what the other foxes have that he or she doesn't have. Is it spots? Is it fluffy ears? Is if a fluffy head. Oooko tries all these things so that a "debbie" (human) will like him or her.

Here is a picture of Ooko looking under a moose for a friend.
 photo Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 12.32.54 PM_zpspkqczthr.png

And the best thing of all? Ooko finds that real friends don't care about all those things. They like you just the way you are.

photo Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 12.34.00 PM_zpsha0zvqyh.png

Than
Ruth
This is my new favorite children's book. The art is quirky and delightful, and the story is a familiar story of the main character wanting a friend and learning to accept themself for who they are, but skewed just enough off center to make it new and enchanting.
Fredrick Niles
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tender and quirky, the story of a fox trying to find a friend and (unknowingly) himself amongst a colorful world of peculiar characters.
Ms. Arca
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5!
So much of this reminded me of my play time/ imagination as a younger human. I had families of oodles and doodles etc.. and they looked a lot like Ooko.

This is just one of those delightful books that’s fun for everyone. Fantastic art, great little story line, sweet message, and plenty to laugh at (I had a few guffaws and laughs:). Can’t wait to see what else this author/illustrator has created since this one (2016).. Ooko was her first book and she nailed it👏🏽✨.
Harker
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I loved the art in this book. It was just quirky enough to keep my interested and just colored enough to be cool.

This book works both in black and white (how I initially read it on my Kindle) and in color (on my phone).

The story was good. It wasn't too heavy handed, the message was good, and very relateable. Ooko is a fox that is lonely, wants to make friends, and tries to fit in with the other "foxes" (dogs) and
High Plains Library District
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, victoria
Adorable story about a fox searching for a friend. His journey is fun, playful, and touching. And (as with most picture books) it has a simple yet profound message - you don't have to change yourself to make friends. If your child is struggling with his/her friendships, this book will offer comfort and relief.

The artwork was the only drawback for me. Others have described it as "contemporary" or "unique" and while I don't disagree with those descriptions, I just didn't care for it. At all.

But -
trishajennreads
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This book is adorable. The tone is friendly and has a lilting rhythm. Ooko is a cute little fox who just wants a friend to play with and goes on a little adventure to discover what that might look like. Ooko even tries to be something other than what he is.

The story is sweet and the illustrations are too. They are beautiful, intricate, silly, colourful, and look wonderfully hand drawn. This book is a delight.
Kate
Great illustrations, and a nice story about a fox who wants a friend. They try to be like a dog so the humans will play with them, but the human games just end up being itchy and no fun. But then Ooko finds a raccoon friend and they have a lot in common ("This is my stick. This is my other stick. And this is my other other stick. WANNA PLAY?"). Extra points for including a lady with hairy legs.
Megan
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it

This super cute children's book is about a unique little fox named Ooko. Ooko just wants a friend to play with. He tries changing his appearance and acting differently to try to appeal to potential playmates but still has a difficult time. Don't worry though, he gets a happy ending. I'm looking forward to reading this one to my niece. :)
Abigail Brown
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Really adorable!
I haven't picked up a picture book in the past 5ish years and I saw this today in the library basement (it was $1!) and I couldn't resist. Everything was adorable-- the story, the art-- I love it! Planning on passing this down to some of the neighborhood kids (who may be a little bit more age-appropriate).
Literary  Chanteuse
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Ooko is oh so adorable! Nice soft colors and textures in it's illustrations with a whimsy flair. Some humor and an overall nice story of finding a friend. Sweet and heart warming!

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Beth
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What wonderful writing! My favorite line:

"I would much rather be stinky and play stick than be squeaky clean and play itchy games."

Jessie Sima
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I read Ooko in the book store I laughed so hard I cried. The words and pictures are both A+.
Megan
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my CRICKETS this book is adorable!
Jasmine
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable art, funny story, heartwarming friendship. Well done, book.
Linda Quinn
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute and a great message. Oh, and watch out for people not wearing their glasses...
Graham Pigeon
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Absolutely stunning illustrations. Great colors. Cute story but nothing extraordinary. A fox has the perfect home, lots of toys, but no one to play with. This fox goes in search of a playmate and discovers Debbies and their "foxes". In an effort to befriend a Debbie, fox changes it's appearance to look more like the other "foxes". This helps him find a friend, but is it the right type of friend for fox?
Amy Layton
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This book is so cute, and I can't help but have the feeling that I've read it somewhere before...but, deja vu aside, this is a great book about finding people who like you for you, and who have common interests.  It's drawn in a style that I'm inexplicably drawn to, Shapiro's storytelling skills are wonderful, and this book overall leaves me with a nice, happy feeling in my heart.

Review cross-listed here!
Roben
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ooko is a fox who has everything needed to make him happy except - a friend. He tries to look like the other "foxes" he has seen in town playing with their friends but - that doesn't turn out too well. Will Ooko ever find a friend? Or maybe he's just not looking in the right place.
Diane
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
"I don't need to look like the other foxes to find a friend!"

Ooko is a fox who can't seem to find a friend. He hooks up with a human who mistakes him for a dog, but that isn't a very satisfying friendship. Then he meets raccoon. Raccoon has the same interests and some pretty cool sticks.
Jennifer Strong
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, children-s
A lonely fox changes appearances in an attempt to attract a friend. Will Ooko succeed?

I love the pictures in this book, and the message is just as good. Be yourself! Friends will like you for who you are, not because you copy someone else.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Nobody Hugs a Cactus
  • A Couch for Llama
  • The Shortest Day
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant (Hilda, #2)
  • Magritte's Marvelous Hat
  • Hippopotamister
  • Ten Rules of the Birthday Wish
  • Amy Wu and the Perfect Bao
  • The Right One for Roderic
  • Hilda and the Black Hound (Hilda, #4)
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 3: The Smartest There Is
  • We Dig Worms!: TOON Level 1
  • The Blue Clerk: Ars Poetica in 59 Versos
  • Adventure Time Comics Vol. 5
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 4: Girl-Moon
  • Pokko and the Drum
  • Adventure Time Vol. 5
  • Laser Moose and Rabbit Boy: Disco Fever (Laser Moose and Rabbit Boy, #2)

News & Interviews