Start by marking “Zak George's Dog Training Revolution: The Complete Guide to Raising the Perfect Pet with Love” as Want to Read:

A REVOLUTIONARY WAY TO RAISE AND TRAIN YOUR DOG

Zak George is a new type of dog trainer. A dynamic YouTube star and Animal Planet personality with a fresh approach, Zak helps you tailor training to your dog’s unique traits and energy level—leading to quicker results and a much happier pet.
For the first time, Zak has distilled the information from his hundreds of videos and
Published June 7th 2016 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Zak George's Dog Training Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zak George's Dog Training Revolution

Start your review of Zak George's Dog Training Revolution: The Complete Guide to Raising the Perfect Pet with Love
Irene McHugh
As a first time dog mom, I found Zack George on the YouTubes first. I like his positive approach to building a relationship with your pup. When he released this book, I decided to give it a try.

The format is user-friendly. The chapters follow a logical order:
1. Choosing the Right Dog for You
Composition: 3/5
Evidence: 4/5
Writing Style: 4/5
Balance: 1/5

Bringing a new puppy into one’s life is a big decision, and I assume that making informed decisions early on with training will make life with a dog much easier and more enjoyable in the long run. So that meant finding a resource to help me do it right. Finding and choosing a book to teach the ways of dog training is a formidable challenge because of the sheer bulk of manuals, guidebooks, and tutorials. I sought out a book because I
Annie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My new baby, Harriet, will be coming home from the breeder in two weeks. As a result, I’m reading five books on positive reinforcement-based puppy training and comparing them for anyone trying to decide which of the most popular puppy books to read. Links are below.

The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete

Before and After Getting Your Pupppy by Ian Dunbar

The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller

How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days by Shirlee Kalstone

***

I’ve already binged Zak’s
Petra Dimitrova
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even before i brought home my sweet furry boy i started looking for training tips and all the stuff i can learn since it was long time ago i had a dog(nearly 10 years ago) and i needed a refreshment course.
I learned about Zak George trough youtube tutorials which are really helpful and decided to read his book as well.
I am a husky mom and with that strong willed breed, consistent training is crucial!
This phrase comes to mind in that case "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a
KatieMc
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doggo-help
I normally loath self-help books, but I have a dog with a complicated past and a few issues. This is a great book for a new or soon to be new dog person.
Jamie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I really like the way Zak advocates for positive training methods. This book is set up in a logical order and in a manner that you can flip to whatever chapter you need at that moment. I've watched plenty of his YouTube videos too. If you get a new pup or have one who needs some help, I highly recommend this book!
Julie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful. Am new mother of two huskies and I learned a lot. I love Zac’s passion and enthusiasm. Will go along well with the you tube series to see the techniques in action. Sometimes a bit repetitive in terms of content but it hammers things home I suppose.
Johannes
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just getting ready.... I've made enough transitions from the academic world to the practical world to know that not everything is always transferrable in ideal ways, but at least these techniques put my mind in motion.
Michelle
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great! Also watch YouTube videos.
Mearc_risps
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play-books
The book is okay and an absolutely stellar way for starting dog owners to learn about their new responsibilities. It's a shame though that Zak's YouTube content is by far richer as well as more advanced, it's free too. I would recommend checking out his channel instead.
Jaclyn Zelke
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This training is loving and amazing! It is exactly what I needed to read to set me and my new pup on the road to happy success!
Rachel
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book really helped me with potty training. I forgot how difficult it was, but the author made it easy! Bella will be a well trained dog in no time!! My fingers are crossed ...more
Robin Hatcher
I stumbled upon Zak George's training videos on YouTube. After watching quite a few, I bought his book. So glad I did. We have a new puppy arriving in our home in a few weeks. Since it has been more than 13 years since we were last down the puppy training road, I was definitely in need of a refresher course. Plus, I wanted to change things up a bit (I hired a trainer for my last dog and don't want to do that this time). Zak George has been teaching me how to be my dog's best trainer through his ...more
Kendra Martin
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!! Zak’s positive approach is much more appealing to me than the “Alpha Dog” approach. It’s also a really easy and fun read, as many of the sections in the book have a YouTube video to accompany the description. This is wonderful if you’re not much of a reader, as the videos are a little break from the book. I’m a big reader myself, but when it comes to learning to do something, I’m very visual. So the videos are great, and Zak is fun to watch!! You can tell he really has a ...more
Richard Knobloch
Puppy love

Just recently purchased a new puppy, so I was looking for a good book to teach me everything I needed to know about the little guy (Australian Shepherd) and how to train him. Picked up this book on a recommendation from a friend and am glad I did! Very detailed of what to do and not to do. Now I recommend it to you.
Amber
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All people who have dogs or who are thinking about getting a dog should read this book.

I'm a dogmom. Not in the sense that I have a dog (which I do, I have two). I'm a dogmom in the sense that my dogs go everywhere with me, I spend hours a day pouring time and energy into their training and enriching their lives. I'm a dogmom in the sense that I've considered buying my anxious dog a doggy stroller so that she will be more comfortable in dog-friendly stores when I bring my dogs out with me.

I'm
Pao
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up with the Alpha Dog theory

I grew up with the “Alpha Dog” theory. I’ve had dogs since I was born. The ideas that people used to have were very different from what now we are trying to follow. I 15 years ago I would use a newspaper and scare my dog to stop certain behaviors. Didn’t really work... Now I have a chocolate lab and I am following the positive reinforcement training. I feel much better results and as better human being. There are so many things I like about Zak George however I
Karen
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Zak George's Dog Training Revolution, written by Zak George and Dina Roth Port, is a wonderful book that covers all of the essentials in dog training. I initially found out about Zak George when my son adopted a Border Collie and Black Lab mix puppy last March. I was looking for, and desperately needing help with training, and found his amazing videos on YouTube. Like his videos, this book covers everything from house-training to teaching your dog tricks. I have had dogs in the past, but never a ...more
Charlene Ward
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I might be overly rating this but I lOVED it! My husband and I were in the process of getting a corgi puppy and I saw this book in our new collection at the library. There are so many helpful insights and tips. Though I have had several dogs in my life I had never officially dealt with a puppy before. But with the help of Zak George we started off running. It made everything so much easier and I learned so many things I didn't have a clue about! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

He has great tips for those
Corinna
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Great as an introduction or refresher on positive dog training methods and philosophies. Love his YouTube videos too! We're having lots of success with his methods.
Danelle
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhhhh, Zak George...

I would watch his videos allllll the time. I have a dog, but still LOVE it. I watched so much Zak George on YouTube (yes, he has a YouTube channel, most successful dog trainer on YouTube) that I could predict what he was going to say to train a behavior, and I could figure out ways to go things. I would watch him so much that my mom thought I had a crush on him.

I waited for months to get his book, family was going to bring it to me outside the US, and I was more excited to
Desiree
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book written by a wonderful person. I highly suggest you check out Zak George's youtube channel if you have a dog. I recently adopted a chihuahua/ papillon mix from my local shelter, and Zak George has literally saved me so much time and stress. He has videos that show you step-by-step how to train your dog in a COMPASSIONATE way that works. My family has always had chihuahuas, and I honestly never thought I would adopt one for myself because my family never trained theirs. ...more
Katie Tate
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I found Zac George through YouTube whilst searching for dog training videos and boy I’m glad I did. What I love about Zac, which comes out perfectly in his book, is his enthusiasm. He’s passionate and clearly cares deeply about what he does. This in turn keeps you interested and makes you excited about what he’s teaching you. Even those sceptical to his methods can’t help but be drawn in by his upbeat attitude.

His training is around positive reinforcement, which I am an avid believer of. This
Becky
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give 5 stars to Zak George's training methods, YouTube videos, etc. and 4 stars for the book itself. It doesn't add a huge amount beyond the videos, but it is helpful to have it all in an easy-to-reference book format, so you can quickly troubleshoot or get information on an issue without having to watch a video or two and take notes. Mostly I just wish it had more information and detail; this is one of the few cases where a longer book may have been better. Overall though the book was ...more
Trisha Mason
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book!
I got this the day before I brought my 3 month old Chihuahua puppy home. Here we are almost three months later and I still find myself going back to this book for various things; I love the method of positive reinforcement. My parents were always the type of dog owners who thought they had to be "the Alpha" and show the animal who is boss. It always felt wrong to me, your dog shouldn't obey you because they fear you! Who wants a relationship based on fear?? They should
Lilly Ferrick
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-read for any dog owner. Three years ago we adopted a dog with serious aggression towards other dogs and also a fence jumper. We worked privately with a trainer and now have a well mannered, leash trained dog who no longer barks incessantly, lunges, or pulls.

Never again will I own a dog that I don't train. Once you have a dog with good manners, you'll never go back.

Zak George is all about fun with your dog, positive reinforcement to train. This makes training easy and fun
E
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the advice in this book and the step-by-step training information. I appreciated the explanations of how and why to use positive training. These ideas are really clear in my mind now and I also understand why the "old ways" of dominance-based training and negative training don't work as well and are somewhat misguided. The actual training steps are good, but I wish they'd been a little more ordered in telling me what to do first early in the book and then going step-by-step from ...more
Sammy Challinor
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the approach this book takes; it clearly outlines concrete steps to take when training or encouraging certain behaviours, but also encourages a wider approach to your relationship and bond with your dog which I really liked.

This book heavily criticises the ‘pack leader’ or ‘establishing dominance’ school of thought in dog training, which is funny given the next book on my list is by a certain TV personality known for his ‘pack leader’ approach! I guess I’ll still read it but I
Out of the Bex
Not enough “how”

This was a good entry point to Zak George’s brand.

It does show his voice, character, and training philosophy well.

Some of the advice given is very intriguing! However, I do not feel the book does enough to fully break each aspect down and truly explain “how” his methods work. Too often he answers common problems with half-answers or he glosses over key points.

This is a good basic book to read to perhaps encourage you for further training. But in truth I think I have gotten more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • The Art of Raising a Puppy
  • Puppy Primer
  • Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right
  • Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days
  • The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond
  • How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Manual for Dog Owners
  • Training the Best Dog Ever: A 5-Week Program Using the Power of Positive Reinforcement
  • The Culture Clash
  • For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend
  • 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
  • Your Golden Retriever Puppy
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication