Start by marking “Borrowing Death (Charlotte Brody Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Borrowing Death (Charlotte Brody Mysteries, #2)

Borrowing Death

(Charlotte Brody Mystery #2)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Suffragette and journalist Charlotte Brody is bracing herself for her first winter in the frontier town of Cordova in the Alaska Territory. But the chilling murder of a local store owner is what really makes her blood run cold. . .

Published June 28th 2016 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Borrowing Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borrowing Death

Erin
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Cathy Pegau’s Murder on the Last Frontier blew me away when I read it last year. The author’s tone and the scope of her story left a lasting impression on my imagination so it should come as no surprise that I jumped a mile high with glee when I received a copy of book two of the Charlotte Brody Mystery series. I shamelessly bumped it to the top of my TBR and jumped in with all the enthusiasm of kid let loose in candy store.
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
3.5

I'm sad to say that, for me, this book suffers from the second book syndrome.

Not as interesting as the first, but I still love the characters. Charlotte cracks me up still. James is great and I'm so glad that he got a lot of characterization in this book. Last book was for Michael and Charlotte, then this book was for James and Charlotte. Plus, the relationships are growing and changing. Other townspeople are being introduced. Then, there's the historical background with women's rights. So, t
Kay (aka) Miss Bates
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pegau has a real winner in her Charlotte Brody historical murder mystery series: great Alaskan setting, wonderful historical detail (cue Prohibition AND women's suffrage), sympathetic protagonists and well-drawn secondary characters, and a lovely burgeoning romance between amateur sleuth and journalist heroine Charlotte and the charming Deputy Marshal James Eddington. Though the "whodunnit" kept me guessing, it was revelations of the characters inner worlds and motivations that captured me so mu ...more
Clare O'Beara
I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of a Suffragette and journalist working in Cordova, Alaska. When a store owner dies in a burning building, Charlotte and others get involved in finding out what happened. There are plenty of local characters and issues which are fairly specific to Alaska. We also see the work of producing a newspaper at that time. A very understated romance is threaded through but this is a mystery first and foremost.

Due to some of the content I recommend the book for mature teens
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this second book in the series. I love Charlotte's spunk and the supporting characters are great too. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Kristina
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, cozy-mysteries
Borrowing Death by Cathy Pegau is the second book in A Charlotte Brody Mystery novel series. Charlotte Brody is a reporter in Cordova, Alaska working at the Cordova Daily Times (how can they have enough news for a daily paper). She also does freelance articles for The Modern Woman Review in New York. Charlotte is experiencing her first winter in Alaska, and it is extremely cold. A fire breaks out at Fiske’s store, and Charlotte rushes over to get the story. When the fire is put out they find the ...more
Rhonda
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I like this series. Charlotte Brody is a smart, strong character.and follows her own path. Though I find that I am more like the Chrurch ladies than her on issues.

Charlotte has come to Cordova in Alaska Territory to get away from home and visit her brother. She writes for local newspaper and articles she sends back to the States. She is fighting for ending prohibition, right to abortion and women right to vote.

She likes the deputy but has only flirted with him and shared some kisses. Char
Betty
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, cozy, e-books, thriller
Winter is approaching in Cordova, Alaska and Charlotte has settled to spend winter there. She is house sitting for friends and working as a reporter and helping print the paper. An explosion and fire occur at the hardware store, tho owner, Lyle Fiske is found in the ruins. Of course, Charlotte's curiosity takes over and she helps in the case. A piece about prohibition angers the Women's League. More on information on Charlotte's and sheriff deputy backgrounds emerge. The changes that place will ...more
Darlene Cruz
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Did you figure it out? Entertaining read with clues to make you doubt one way or the other. Enjoyed the story immensely. Received a free book, winner Goodreads First Read Giveaway. Thank you, Darlene Cruz
Liz
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three months later and Charlotte Brody is still in Cordova and becoming very accostomed to the Alaskan frontier life. She is working for the local paper, enjoying time with her brother Michael, her friendship with Brigit, and is on tenuous feet with James Eddington. Other than stirring up the Temperance Ladies with her editorial against the Olmstead Act, all seems to going well until a fire claims the life of the hardware store owner, Lyle Fiske.

The hardware store explodes in the middle of the
Shannon
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This the second book in the Charlotte Brody mysteries. I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. When it arrived and realized it was the second in the series I checked the first one out from my library. After reading this one I decided it wasn't necessary to read the first one. I would have been able to follow along just fine without it. The characters are interesting and the story was good, but I did find that it dragged at times. The central story revolves around solving an arson and murder in ...more
Stacie  Haden
The first was much better. This one had too much repetition and continually stated the obvious, to the point of eye rolls. I like the setting of 1920's Alaska, so I'll eventually read the next, hoping for an improvement.

Oh, and that cover. Yuck.
Amy K.
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another enjoyable entry in Pegau's Cordova series, Borrowing Death delivers on the characters we got to know in the first book and offers an intriguing mystery, deepening relationships, and further development of our intrepid heroine. This is a comfortable and enjoyable read.
Janifowose
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute series will not take you long to read.
Julie
Sleuth still has some good points. She takes all evidence to the cops and is fairly smart.

But she also does really stupid things, including breaking and entering, and all just because she's nosy. The writing seemed to go downhill in this one, and the characterizations flatlined.

The plot was extremely obvious, and I don't normally feel that way.
David Fox
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Detective is Born

Charlotte Brody made her first appearance in Cathy Pegau’s opening mystery novel, Murder on the Last Frontier (see Anchorage Press review, February 4, 2016). Brody had just arrived in Cordova to visit her brother, the local doc, when she got involved in the investigation of the murder of a sporting girl. The murder and ensuing chase for the killer did not scare her away and now she’s back in Pegau’s second installment of the series, ready to rile the conservative, social order
Anna Bergmark
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Felt the first installment lacked the good old je ne sais quoi. You know... an unknown pleasing quality. I called it wit at the time and unfortunately it's still just as witless. I called it dull and it sure hasn't gotten any sharper.

Shall we blame it on the harsh Alaskan weather conditions? Perhaps. Because it sure seems hard to write sparkling repartee with mittens on or think bright and dazzling thoughts under a wooly hat.
Ren
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I really wanted to like this series, but after two books I'm forced to conclude that Pegau's style just doesn't work for me.

One of my favourite things about mysteries is the "aha!" moment when realizing that a seemingly irrelevant detail is really a clue. This book didn't have any of that. Instead, there are a lot of awkward sentences that I just knew had to be clues, because the author kept clumsily drawing attention to background elements.

Also aggravating: the heroine. I despera
Kris
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Borrowing Death by Cathy Pegau is book two in the Charlotte Brody series. Charlotte Brody is a single woman, working as a journalist in a small Alaskan town of Cordova just prior to prohibition. Charlotte is progressive and fully backs women's rights and the suffragette movement, and she also likes to solve mysteries. In Borrowing Death Charlotte attempts to figure out who killed a business man in town and then tried to cover up the murder by burning down the building.
Not having read the first
Dana
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Veronica
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Borrowing Death is the second book in this historical mystery series that features Charlotte Brody as a writer/reporter in 1920s Alaska. The book picks up roughly three months after the first book (when Charlotte retreated to Cordova, Alaska to lick her emotional wounds) and sees Charlotte firmly ensconced in the offices of the local town paper. When a prominent local business man is found dead at the scene of a fire, Charlotte's investigative instincts are once again set into motion.

I'm a littl
Cornerofmadness
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lauren
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

I still really enjoy this series and especially love the unique setting (early 1900's Alaska). Like Book 1 in the series, Borrowing Death contained interesting historical details, such as the impending Volstead Act enactment and the mechanics of early printing presses. Charlotte and James Eddington are back, this time faced with solving the apparent murder of Lyle Fiske, the local hardware store owner. Initial suspicions point to the serial arsonist who has been striking the town, thoug
Linda Baker
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, netgalley

Borrowing Death opens shortly after the close of Murder on the Last Frontier. Charlotte Brody has decided to extend her stay in Cordova, a small town on the Alaska frontier. She has found a job reporting and typesetting at the local newspaper and is still sending her serial about frontier women to be published back east. She likes her job, the people of Cordova and seeing her brother, Michael, the town doctor, on a regular basis. She especially likes the handsome Deputy Marshal, James Eddington.
Barbara
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
"Borrowing Death" is the second instalment in the Charlotte Brody Mysteries series. Having read and enjoyed the first in the series, I'd been eagerly anticipating reading this sequel for awhile and it did not disappoint.

Again set in the frontier town of Cordova in the 1900s, journalist Charlotte Brody is just getting settled in town in time for winter. With a new job at the local newspaper and a new place to stay after the fire in the last book, things are looking up for Charlotte. Unfortunately
Serena
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun book in the series. Neat setting in wild Alaska. The heroine continues to be a confident and curious person, making for fun escapades. Romance is slow burn but enjoyable. Looking forward to reading the next when it comes out!
Stacey
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, mystery
I really enjoyed this historical mystery set in the Alaskan Territory during president Wilson's administration.

I won this book through Good Reads' First Reads and I've found a new mystery series to add to my list of "to be read " books. Can't wait to get my hands on the first book and then the upcoming 3rd book.

In addition to the unique setting (I haven't read any other mysteries set in this place at this time), I liked the cast of characters. Charlotte is not a wimpy single female... she's a st
Tony Hisgett
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I’m afraid this second book in the Charlotte Brody series is a little bit of a let down. I was hoping it would build on the first book and we would get to see more from Charlotte and find out what was going to make her stand out from the crowd. However, what we find out is that she isn’t particularly clever and apart from being nosey her only other investigatory techniques are a bit of burglary and confronting every possible suspect in the blind hope that one of them will confess.
Then there is
Sarah Davies
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I was given a copy via Netgalley for an unbiased review.

After three months in Cordova, Charlotte is getting accustomed to frontier life. She is filing articles for the local paper--including a provocative editorial against Prohibition--and enjoying a reunion with her brother Michael, the town doctor and coroner. Michael's services are soon called upon when a fire claims the life of hardware store owner Lyle Fiske. A frontier firebug is suspected of arson, but when Michael determines Fiske was st
Keri
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Borrowing Death is a book that I am still on the fence about when it comes to how many stars to give, which is why I went for the middle (3 stars). I did enjoy this and I love how we learn more and are able to read about the characters more than we did before. I did find myself getting a tad bored the further along I got into the book because it was quite obvious who was the guilty one. When there is a mystery involved in a novel, I really liked to be doubted in my opinion as to who I think did ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Dec 03, 2015 12:42AM
  • Wayward One (Waywroth Academy #1)
  • The Rake to Ruin Her
  • The Devil You Know (McKenna Brothers, #2)
  • Lady X's Cowboy
  • Heir of Danger (Heirs of Kilronan Trilogy, #3)
  • Nicholas (Circle Eight, #5)
  • Boots Under Her Bed
  • A Moment of Passion (The Ladies' Book of Pleasures, #2)
  • His Very Own Girl
  • Rumors that Ruined a Lady (Armstrong Sisters #4)
  • Murder at Fontainebleau (Elizabethan Mysteries, #5)
  • A Gilded Grave (Newport Gilded Age, #1)
  • My Fair Concubine (Tang Dynasty, #3)
  • Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)
  • Running in the Dark (Night Runner, #1)
  • Penny Palabras Season One: It's Later Than You Think (TPB)
  • Chains & Canes (Club Devant Book 2)
  • The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur, #9)

Charlotte Brody Mystery (3 books)
  • Murder on the Last Frontier (Charlotte Brody Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on Location (Charlotte Brody Mystery #3)