Start by marking “Stealing Sorcery (The War of Broken Mirrors, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stealing Sorcery (The War of Broken Mirrors, #2)

Stealing Sorcery

(The War of Broken Mirrors #2)

The immortal sorcerers – three legendary figures that toppled the empire of Xixis. Each has lived for over a hundred years, leaving a powerful legacy in their wake.

But their children do not share their renowned immortality – and when the firstborn son of Edrick Theas is killed, the sorceress Lydia Hastings is called to investigate the murder. When she discovers a sorcero
Published January 2nd 2016

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Sorcery, please sign up.
Ryan McGregor There is, it was confirmed in his blog.

There is, it was confirmed in his blog.

I just want to point out that it came out in 2016..... Go look at this release timeline and be frustrated at how long its taking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bla...(less)

Gavin
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This second book in Andrew Rowe's The War of Broken Mirrors series was just as enjoyable as the first book in the series. This series is fantasy in the Sanderson and Jordan mould in terms of style and tone though the story does lack the epic scope of those guys best series. The story in this series is more intimate in scope but still pretty good. The fantasy world is interesting and the magic system is fun. Outside of the cool magic and fun characters the focus is on a mix of action, intrigue, a ...more
S.L. Vaden
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for the third book in this series.
Roman Santoro
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about the second book of a universe that has me completely hooked...?
This book was amazing, I really enjoyed the stories (I use plural because Taelien, Jonan and Lydia remain on three separate paths for most of the story) and the amazing ending the book had.
As usual I try to see both sides when reviewing:

The "things that really worked" list:
-Solid worldbuilding and storytelling.
-Really "believable" characters (this may have to do with the fact that these characters are played by r
Andrew Lukyanenko
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book even more than the first one!
Tzurky
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, once again. Several great new characters are added and characters from the previous book are developed better, as is the world itself and the magic system. The character interactions are the best part but the mystery is nothing to scoff at, either. Very excited to see where this is going!
Kristen
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great read, much like the first book in the series. I seem to remember thinking that the first book needed more editing, and I'm glad to say that this one was much much better in that regard. Hooray!

The magic system was once again well thought out, made sense, and was used well. The characters were developed well, didn't all take themselves too seriously, swore a lot (fucking yay!), and I cared what happened to them. Most of them at least. I had a bit of trouble remembering who was wh
Pegs Hampton
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this second book written by Andrew Rowe. A very much detective style story I felt but was very cleverly written and had an abundance of unique characters. I did feel lost as to who some of the characters were at certain stages of the book and had to glance further back to regain my awareness of who it was.

The book focuses quite heavily on thought patterns and idea's that the characters is running through their minds, which I personally feel looses it's edge after some time, b
Matthew
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable read. A second book that can stand alone but gains much from the first book. Greatly enjoyed the magic system and the expansion / discovery of more depth to the magic system. A wider array of characters utilizing skills in rather unique ways also lends a richness to a story when done well, and Mr. Rowe does it well. The general plot of the book is one that could easily become trite or tropey and yet, in Stealing Sorcery, it was handled well and becomes intriguing, captivat ...more
Bart Robbins
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first book and was hoping this book would be similar. The shift to a magic school plot was a surprise but it did allow the characters to be flushed out more. Overall the stories come together in an adequate way. My major complaint is that somewhere in the second half of the book the characters start cursing in English. I was confused at first because they obviously had their own cursing vocabulary that was suddenly abandoned. Jonan didn't curse the entire last book and suddenly his ...more
Kristobelle
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
And now the wait begins...

Till the next installment is released..

Lots of fantastic stuff going on is this series -fantastic characterisation, interpersonal relationships, intrigue, a few great twisty moments.. A massive magic system that is both wonderful, yet a cause of some of the only consternation I had about this book..

Some of the explanatory and expositive conversations had between characters pertaining the magic system, were cringe worthily obvious. RPG tutorial-esque in nature... I actu
Donna
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A solid second book by Andrew Rowe. This book focuses mostly on Taelien becoming a Paladin (and trying to discover more about who he really is) He is joined by Landen and Velas in the trials along with a host of interesting applicants. Meanwhile Lydia and Jonan investigate some high profile murders. All have their own agendas to follow whilst doing their best to help each other.
There are other forces at work that I am sure will be revealed in the next book, especially who the Shrouded One is.
Alex
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
I thought Stealing Sorcery was much better than the first book in the series, the pacing was on point and the storyline flowed much better than Forging Divinity. If you were on the fence after the first book, I'd suggest continuing.
Todd Ross
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a ton of fun and I'm really enjoying the writing style from Andrew Rowe.

I did have some criticisms though which is why its getting 3 stars.

1. After the last novel, it felt really weird how this one basically became a magical school novel. That was unexpected and felt like a step backwards or at least like a treading of water compared to the progress made in book 1.

2. There are essentially 2 plots for this novel. The magical school / paladin bootcamp / Com
Michael Wood
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Second Act in A (Hopefully) Long Fantasy Swords and Sorcery Tale

Andrew Rowe has given us another masterful S & S fantasy novel, no surprise there. Every one of his fantasy stories has demonstrated his mastery of this form. As usual within the constraints of the form of classic S & S, he pushes at the boundaries with rich, colorful detail, loading his writing with sparkling and definite descriptions.

This installment continues the mystery of an orphan with a fabled sword, raise
Andrei
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
An entertaining read, but the abundance of characters coupled with the continuously changing perspective and the lack of distinctive features forced me to refer to the list at the end quite often. Additionally, the battles, while well written, always gave the impression that the protagonists were not up to the challenge posed. Perhaps a deliberate choice, but disappointing nonetheless to see characters that are stated to be powerful yet appear to always end up with grievous injuries, especially ...more
Rachel
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Talian (the maybe incarnation of the god of war) is trying out for the paladins along with Selis and Landon. (sorry on spelling I listened to this on audio with the amazing narrator Nick Podehl). He is here looking for answers to his upbringing destiny an his sword. His previous travel companions Lydia and Jonen are also around. It centers around the paladins in training trying to win their trials and a mysterious poisonous murder that occurs. To me there is way too much inner dialogue in this b ...more
Matthew
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finished book 1 and 2 in less than a week. Andrew Rowe is fighting with Brandon Sanderson for best author in my opinion. Best book series would still go to Patrick Rothfuss but Brandon Sanderson and Andrew Rowe seem to be able to write different books in different universes at an incredible pace while never sacrificing the small details.

There needs to be a go-fund me to put a body guard on Andrew Rowe to keep him alive and writing, a go-fund me to get Brandon Sanderson to teach all up and coming
Lukas Lovas
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good second book.

That's not always easy to do, and it's not often that the second book is better than the first one. It's usually only with really good authors who have improved their writing style, or have a truly awesome plot/character development/twist to make the second book stronger than the first one. In this case, I'd say that both the author has improved and this world progressed further, becoming even more interesting than before. It's not quite as good as the Sufficiently Advanced Mag
Vincent Archer
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: litrpg
Very good second book of this series.

The series pick up with the same cast of characters, promoting some background characters from the first book. You get more powerful people getting involved, a spice and dash of background politics, and some mcguffin to push them forward, and off you go. The only mild point is that the central plot point is not completely resolved, unlike the previous book. Alas, that's often the problem of middle of trilogies.
NiNi
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cwsmythe
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first in the series, and could have benefited from a little more time spent explaining how the magic works and a little less time with characters just pulling off new tricks with no explanation of how they developed them. I'll certainly read the next one, because it has promise but it didn't grab me as much as the first one did. Hopefully a few more of the character's stories intersect in the next one.
Sharkie
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well..... wow. Just.... wow.

I really, really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure, as Book 1 I wasn't the biggest fan of, but this book was brilliant!

I loved the Trials of becoming a paladin, that was insanely fun and interesting. It took me a while, but I eventually came around to the murder plot and detective Lydia. And in the end everything was just craziness and insane and SO MUCH FUN.

Very much looking forward to the next installment!
Marcus
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This entry in the series was a good time. I like the "military academy" setting as a nice variant on the "wizard school" trope. I do think that it seems a little disconnected from the first book, almost more of a "The Continuing Adventures of Taelien" rather than an advancement of the metaplot, but all the characters are fun (particularly Velas, Taelien's squadmate) and there's a lot of mysteries introduced that I'm excited to see resolved.
Kurt
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little better than book 1, but still not nearly as good as I'd hoped for, coming from reading Sufficiently Advanced Magic. Still there were moments in this book that were genuinely interesting, and there wasn't quite there ridiculous amount of discussion going on in this one as there was in book 1. I'll probably not be picking up book 3 though.
Steve Hunt
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Based on rpg's

Still too obvious that the stories are based on rpgs. People don't think in internal monologues for the point of exposition and a better author would make reference to thoughts and feelings rather than just detailing painfully logical internal monologue (which sometimes has to take place in a fraction of a second).
Story itself is interesting, hence three stars.
Veselina
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it

I can not explain how much I live Andrew Rowe writing now. This book was a brilliant sequence to the previous one. The characters build up so nice and there paths may be be separated but not so much. I really what to know answers to some questions this book left unanswered but looks like I have to wait for the next one.
Kevin Black
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
What kind of ending was that?

What kind of ending was that? You can't just end a book with everything still in limbo.
There are so many threads that you did not even try to finish. I am very disappointed in the ending, worse than a cliff hanger.
Brent Mair
Jun 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book has a very casual pace, quite at odds with the first book. I had a hard time reconciling that.
Also pretty unhappy with so much lazy vulgarity in this book that didn't appear in the first. I regret the purchase and won't be getting the third book.
Richard
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A strong sequel, which builds nicely on the previous characters and adds new characters to the story. The sides seem less and less clear and some of the elements are pretty unanticipated. I like the writing style, and can see myself reading other books - SAM must now be on my to-read list!
Michael Mason-D'Croz
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this second installment of the series. I like the updates and development of the main characters, while also introducing some new ones. I saw the reveal towards the end coming, but I was still entertained while getting there. I'm looking forward to the next installment.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Kingdom Blades (A Pattern of Shadow and Light, #4)
  • Betrayer's Bane (Embers of Illeniel, #3)
  • Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Greyhawk Classics, #5)
  • High Mage (The Spellmonger, #5)
  • The List Unseen (The Chronicles of Lumineia: The Second Draeken War, #4)
  • Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
  • Duty (The Trysmoon Saga, #2)
  • The Tower Broken (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #3)
  • Unholy War (Moontide Quartet, #3)
  • The Princess in the Tower (Schooled in Magic, #15)

The War of Broken Mirrors (3 books)
  • Forging Divinity (The War of Broken Mirrors, #1)
  • Defying Destiny