Start by marking “The Sage, the Swordsman and the Scholars (First Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Sage, the Swordsman and the Scholars (First Edition)

The Sage, the Swordsman and the Scholars

(Trials of the Middle Kingdom #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  26 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When enigmatic nonhuman visitors arrive from the sea, the very foundations of the Middle Kingdom are under attack. The evil agenda of these invaders sparks a massive war that will determine the fate of the Ming dynasty and the nations beyond. A legendary swordsman allies himself with a banished Shaolin monk, a defeated bandit chieftain, a carefree Mongolian merchant, and a ...more
Paperback, 1st , 238 pages
Published November 1st 2015 by Lulu Publishing Services (first published September 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Sage, the Swordsman and the Scholars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sage, the Swordsman and the Scholars

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Sage, the Swordsman and the Scholars (First Edition)
Kirstie Ellen
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers
The Sage, the Swordsman, and the Scholars

I received a copy of this book from Pierre in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!!

Something Different
The thing that really had me hooked on this book and invested me in its out-come was the setting. SSS (as I’m going to call it, for the sake of my fingers) is a work of really exciting fantasy that takes place in China during the reign of the Ming Dynasty. The book follows multiple perspectives, that of the swordsman, Sun Xin, some ‘academicians’
Chris
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Well. That went quick! Here we go;
In my view, there are four main elements needed to have a successful novel. 1st, and most importantly is a good plot, which this book mist certainly has. It is complex, moves at a good pace and really keeps you turning (or scrolling) the pages. This is the books strongest point.
2nd, a book needs well thought out and interesting characters, here the book falls a little short. The basis is there for the characters, their backgrounds are well thought out and their
Rochelle
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: interesting, have
Full review here: http://www.chocomeiske.com/2016/04/06...

Really enjoyed the martial arts movie-like feels I got from this.
Kristian
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I give this an easy 4.5 / 5

(I saw this featured on a giveaway and since I didn't win, I was sure to purchase my own copy)

As someone with Chinese heritage and ancestry, this book was absolutely fantastic. In mainstream fantasy, it is extremely rare to find books set in an Asian background, much less one that is set in late Medieval China so this was really refreshing! Not many people know about Chinese history but man, this book is a great way to introduce fantasy readers to Chinese civilization.
Jen!
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Review can also be seen here - combustiblereviews.com

Note: The Author, (who’s really nice!), emailed me and offered me the opportunity to read his book which I gladly excepted because historical fantasy set in China? Yes please!

The Sage, the swordsman and the scholars is the first book and has a fascinating plot with strong worldbuilding that, with another draft and edit, would be a great novel. It has a lot of potential.

There’s some really interesting characters and the cliffhanger ending caugh
Grace
Oct 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: deepfaith
Lots of musings on right and wrong mixed with a wuxia/martial arts movie plot. It’s a bit more tell than show and I think the inclusion of literal demons undermines the philosophical underpinnings. It is interesting to see the mixture of Asian influences with Christian themes.
Matthew Rubino
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very Creative form of story colliding fictional and non fictional. I'd say almost kinda like a fusionated tale of book genres.
Peter P.
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is well thought out and has a pretty clever plot. There's a wonderful blend of modern fantasy elements with the good ol' fashioned Wuxia/ Kung Fu content. I really enjoyed the addition of actual historical elements and characters. The characters are well-thought out though the dialogue for each of them could be a tad more unique. Good use of description, and detailed action sequences and big battles. This would make a great movie or series. Was really delighted to see Medieval China de ...more
Cat
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book didn’t grab me. Perhaps it is aimed at a younger male audience with kung fu dreams of flight/fight from tree tops. The unedited grammar also gave me pause. But I cannot fault the author for his imaginative vision of the Ming Dynasty and otherworldly evil. His characters have range and there is plenty of action with just the right amount of Zen philosophy to introduce to adrenaline fueled readers.
An advanced copy of this book was provided for an honest review.
Pierre Dimaculangan
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
"The action packed scenes, ethical dilemmas, relevant philosophical debates, and an out-of-the ordinary storyline, make for an engaging read, especially suitable for young adult readers."
- OnlineBookClub.org
Jun 22, 2017
JL Torres
Dec 28, 2019
Caitlin Justice
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2019
Majessica Herrera
Jan 23, 2016
Pierre Dimaculangan
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Erin O'Roark
Corwin
Dec 10, 2016
Carla
Jan 12, 2016

• Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1)
  • Vagabonds
  • The High-Tech Knight (Conrad Stargard, #2)
  • The Serenity Stone Murder
  • ZeQuest (The Quest Saga, #2)
  • Vagabond Wind (Bold Women of the 19th Century, #2)
  • The Fortuitous Meeting (The Elephant and Macaw Banner - Novelette Series, #1)
  • Red Rain (Unacccepted, #1)
  • Arriving Well: Stories about identity, belonging, and rediscovering home after living abroad
  • Playing Hearts
  • Stormshadow (Storms in Amethir, #2)
  • The Wizard Hunt (The Forgotten Wizard, #1)
  • Summer Storm (The Wrath of the Northmen, #0.5)
  • Rise of the Storm (The Desolate Empire, #1)
  • Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors (Nyssa Glass, #1)
  • Foxtails: A Paranormal Regency Romance
  • Frey (The Frey Saga, #1)
  • Muse (Tales of Silver Downs, #1)
Asian-American author with a passion for world history, Asian history, art and design, and fantasy books, movies, and video games.

News & Interviews