Start by marking “Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)” as Want to Read:
Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)

Basil of Baker Street

(Basil of Baker Street #1)

Named one of “13 Detective Book Series You Obsessed over as a Kid” by Buzzfeed.com and the inspiration for a hit Disney film, the masterful Great Mouse Detective series is now available to a whole new generation of readers!

Basil—the famous sleuth of mousedom—lives in the cellar of Sherlock Holmes’s house. A devoted admirer of the great detective, he has learned his craft
Published May 17th 2016 by Aladdin (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Basil of Baker Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basil of Baker Street

Start your review of Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)
Richard Cardenas
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS!!

This was so much fun to read. I just finished A Study in Scarlet and unintentionally I was reading this as if this story was taking place during the first Sherlock Holmes book and it made it a whole lot more exciting. The Disney movie is one of my favorite animated movies of all time and I wish they had made sequels to the movie. I love these new re-issued covers too! I kind of want to own them all now. - Richard
Rebecca McNutt
Does anyone else remember this 1950's children's classic about a mystery-solving mouse? Reminiscent of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and The Rescuers, Basil of Baker Street gives the old but always-in-style stories of Sherlock Holmes a voice, the small but determined voice of a mouse to be exact.
Myrna
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love detective stories so it was a good read. Myrna, age 7
Mayda
Written by children’s author Eve Titus, Basil is a mouse possessing the qualities of Sherlock Holmes, whom he has studied at close range. In this mystery, Basil must save two mice sisters who were kidnapped. This series is delightful no matter what the age of the reader is, and the superb narration by Ralph Lister adds much enjoyment.
Suvi
Like I'm sure most people do, I usually prefer reading the book before watching the movie. Reading takes more time, and if the book isn't as good, it's significantly tougher to plough through it. However, the even bigger reason for me personally is the fact that the inevitable differences are more difficult to ignore in a book. I prefer imagining the characters myself, and if they're not the same in the adaptation, it distracts me when I'm reading.

The Great Mouse Detective (1986) doesn't have
Lindsay Stares
Sheila Beaumont
Basil is the Sherlock Holmes of the Mouse World. His friend and associate Dr. Dawson narrates the story. Mrs. Judson is their mousekeeper. The mouse detective has learned his sleuthing skills by listening to Sherlock Holmes tell Dr. Watson how he solved his cases. Basil takes notes in shortpaw. Basil and Dr. Dawson live in the mouse village, Holmestead, in the cellar at 221B Baker Street. In this book Basil solves the kidnapping of the mouse twins Angela and Agatha. Children will enjoy this ...more
Christine
I’m sorry to admit that as much as I have always love Disney’s Great Mouse Detective, this the first time I have read this book. I don’t know why I never picked it up as a child, but I didn’t.
It is a mouse version of Sherlock with nice tie ins to the Sherlock stories. A bit moralistic at the end – don’t talk to strangers you hear. But good fun.
Krista
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son and I read this together. Well, mostly he read to me and I listened. We both enjoyed this cute little book and are continuing the series together!
Valerie
Not as much heart & character as the movie, actually. This mouse has an obsession that is probably unhealthy. A nice quick light charming read, though.
Karen
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well that’s two children’s classics in a row that the book and the movie were vastly different from one another and the movie was at least 200% better. It’s such a shame; I normally love a children’s classic.

*popsugar challenge 2019 - a book with a plant on the cover/in the title: “BASIL”
Chandlercanfly
What a delightful little book. This series seems to've been forgotten, which is a shame, because I can't imagine little ones not enjoying this tiny tribute to Sherlock Holmes!
Kevin Magpoc
I'm reminded of "Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos" (written far before this book) in which it is revealed that Franklin was actually heavily inspired by a mouse friend. "Basil of Baker Street" works the other way around - it tells the story of a mouse who lives with Sherlock Holmes, though presumably unbeknownst to Holmes himself, and idolizes him to the point of actually going out and solving crimes and mysteries in the mouse world. So what you get ...more
Evangeline
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Sherlock retellings ever. It's clever, original, and yet it is written like a classic Sherlock Holmes mystery, but with mice.

I read this aloud to myself (but only when I was home alone) because I wanted to give all the characters accents, and just in general act it out a bit, which I recommend if you are a dramatic human because it's super fun.

The mystery was simple, but it was the characters (and the accents, if I may say so myself) that really shone about this
Amanda
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, animal, childrens
After watching the great Disney movie The Great Mouse Detectives I decided to look up some fanart. Suddenly I kept hearing about some book about Basil, so I looked it up here on Goodreads, and sure enough it's a book. The next time I visited the library I looked for it and to my great delight it was there. It was a very easy read. My forgotten childhood hero rose to new heights. A really great kids book and another great mystery to add to my small shelf. I usually don't willingly read mysteries ...more
Jen
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For fans of Sherlock Holmes and the Disney film about Basil, this is a great and incredibly easy read. I love how the author nonchalantly creates her mouse detective as a Holmes miniature, paying homage along the way and every now and then throwing in the considerations one must take to be a mouse. Also, Dawson is not nearly as bumbling as Disney made him, the which I totally approve of. Basil is a cleaned up, caring version of Holmes; as the author wishes, a great bridge to the grown-up's ...more
Stephanie
Dec 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great children's book. Similar to Sherlock Holmes, but written for elementary-aged kids, with a mouse detective (Basil) and a mouse sidekick (Dr. Dawson) and lots of other mouse characters. Looks like My Father's Dragon in terms of length, size of type, and number of words on a page, but has lots of high-level vocabulary. Written back in the 50's so a bit old-fashioned, and I mean that in a good way.
Sydney
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good for kids! This was one of my favorites, along with Ghost in the Third Row, when I was just starting to read (I really hated reading, but you would know an interesting book if I actually kept with it.) This is short and quick enough to keep a kid engaged and it's about mice in clothes! Who wouldn't like it??
Michaela Raschilla
I reas this guy as part of some rsearch Im doing on a possible future video discussing the use of rodents in childrens books.

I am now super keen on rewatching the disney film based on the wonderful little mice in this story as well.

I enjoyed this one not just as a child's introduction to Sherlock Holmes, mystery, detective fiction, and who knows what else, but because it didn't pull its punches. I always commend children's books that don't talk down to the kids. This is a chapter book with
Stephanie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom-owen
Owen: I liked this book. It was so good. It was exciting when they solved the case. *robot voice* I-I-I-I-it was really good. Basil is a good character. It’s fun that he’s a detective.

Mom: I had no idea these were books! This was a pretty fun read. Not as scary as the movie, great for kids, well-paced. The language was simple, but not stupid. Some words would probably challenge new readers, but not overly so.
Armi
Don't mind me, I'm just taking a walk on childhood memorylane... When I was a child, I had this as a picture book in my grandparents place. The book is based on the film version and what I remember best are the terrrrrifying bad guys. Although this story is almost complete different, I enjoyd it never the less and might just take a peek at the following stories.
Cherie Gilmore
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This audiobook is a bit more than an hour and perfect for Elementary aged students.

Dare I say the movie is better? However the narration on this audiobook is solid and worth a read.

The Great Mouse Detective from 1984 is on Disney + with some extras. Read the book first. The antagonists in the book lacks the drama and depth of Professor Ratigan.
Ketutar Jensen
It's a nice little story :-)
Enough mystery and action and little scare, quick enough to make a good night story, with a happy ending.
Candychaser21
Meh. Only ok... Cute premise!
Heather Withington
4.5 stars, such a cute and lovely story (and I absolutely adored the dedication at the start). Nice and quick, here's hoping Rattigan makes an appearance later in the series
Carrie ReadingtoKnow
Quick fun read aloud with the kids. If you've ever seen Disney's The Great Mouse Detective, well, this is the book it was based on! Grab it, read it. We polished it off in short order. Eve Titus is a wonderful writer and this book is a pleasure to read.
Natasha
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Clever and cute. A great way to get kids on mysteries for life. Sherlock Holmes would be flattered in his mouse alter ego.
Summer
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Oh I loved this, it was adorable. I love that he actually learned at the feet of Sherlock Holmes. I think it's a great way to get kids introduced to the classic character. Some structural things could be fixed, like the climax of the story came about 40 pages away from the end, but still very cute, and I'm glad that we got the movie Great Mouse Detective because of this!
Yukiraking
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was adorable, and was exactly what I expected it to be. It had the same feel as one of the Sherlock Holmes short stories, and while it was clear this was for children, the language wasn't completely juvenile, which I greatly appreciated. I enjoy the characters, especially Basil, as he felt fairly well rounded considering the short period of time we got to spend with him. The plot was cute, and I'm glad that I finally got around to reading this (and I intend to continue on in the series ...more
Zacaro Caro
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this with the kids, it has their attention and I’m not bored to death. It’s like the mouse detective and they like it more than redwall.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Page Count 2 10 Jun 09, 2018 10:38PM

• The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • The Fox and The Hound
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #1)
  • The House of Dies Drear (Dies Drear Chronicles, #1)
  • You Can't Hide (Shadow House, #2)
  • No Way Out (Shadow House, #3)
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos
  • Ben Franklin's in My Bathroom! (History Pals, #1)
  • The Stone Child
  • Bryant & May and the Secret Santa (Bryant & May, #11.5)
  • Muhyo  Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation, Vol. 1
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1-4)
  • House of Fear
  • Bedknob and Broomstick
  • Ghosts of the Big Sur Coast
  • Something in the Woods is Taking People
Eve Titus was the author of numerous bestselling and beloved children's books.

Her most famous characters include Anatole, a French mouse and Basil of Baker Street, a mouse who works as a private eye. Her book, Anatole, won the 1957 Caldecott Honor Book award.

She died in 2002 in Orlando, Florida.

Basil of Baker Street (10 books)
  • Basil and the Lost Colony (Basil of Baker Street, #2)
  • Basil and the Pygmy Cats (Basil of Baker Street, #3)
  • Basil in Mexico (Basil of Baker Street, #4)
  • Basil in the Wild West (Basil of Baker Street, #5)
  • Basil and the Big Cheese Cook-Off (The Great Mouse Detective Book 6)
  • Basil and the Royal Dare
  • Basil and the Library Ghost
  • The Great Mouse Detective Crumbs and Clues Collection: Basil of Baker Street; Basil and the Cave of Cats; Basil in Mexico; Basil in the Wild West; Basil and the Lost Colony
  • The Great Mouse Detective Mastermind Collection Books 1-8: Basil of Baker Street; Basil and the Cave of Cats; Basil in Mexico; Basil in the Wild West; Basil and the Lost Colony; Basil and the Big Cheese Cook-Off; Basil and the Royal Dare; Basil and the...