Start by marking “Cherry” as Want to Read:
Cherry

Cherry

To be honest, the sex pact wasn’t always part of the plan.

Layla started it. She announced it super casually to the rest of the girls between bites of frozen yogur
Published August 16th 2016 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Cherry, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sara
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
259 books — 1,441 voters
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony DoerrThe Nightingale by Kristin HannahMe Before You by Jojo MoyesBig Little Lies by Liane MoriartyGone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Skimm Reads
147 books — 141 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cherry is a book about four friends who make a pact to lose their virginity during their senior year of high school. It could have been dumb, annoying or message-driven, but instead it was honest, sensitive, sex-positive, diverse, and a whole lot of fun.

I like Kelly's idea for a pitch the best: AMERICAN PIE with girls. That's a great way to describe this book.

It's a touch more serious - or maybe important is the better word - than AMERICAN PIE, but it's not a dark, "woe is me" tale about the ho
Lola
Jul 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure if I was supposed to take this story seriously - maybe not - but I couldn't do that, not even a little. The writing is juvenile, the characters stereotypical or one-dimensional, and the storyline close to one hundred percent predictable. I only read it because my friends have rated it highly, despite the underwhelming average rating, and I wanted to see if I would like it as much as they did. Well, I didn't. It happens.
Nat
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Their time felt like it was flying, dripping away, and there was nothing any of them could do to hold it or stop it.”

This book made me truly happy - cheeks hurting from smiling so much and everything - while getting to know each and every character. I just… I got this exciting feeling that I can’t quite explain. It was the kind of feeling that made me want to break into song, which, thanks to my throwback playlist, I did.

In Cherry four best friends make a pact during their senior year of high s
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
"My Mom says that having a feeling of déjà vu means you're exactly where you're supposed to be."

Don't you hate it when you finish a book and just can't find the words to express what you thought about it? It's not because it was awful, no, quite the opposite - I loved this book. I just don't know how to do it justice. Where is a poop to gold machine when you need it.

The first 30 or so pages it looked like this would end up in the DNF pile. You're thrown into a scene with four girls and get all
Kelly
I loved this to bits and pieces! The perfect pitch is AMERICAN PIE with girls. That tells you everything and explains why the book would make so many readers (those who are afraid of girls and female sexuality) angry.

More soon, but it's excellent. There is on-page lesbian sex, there is regular discussion of masturbation, and so many other things. There is, obviously, plenty of talk about protection and pregnancy, but the thing that makes this book outstanding is sex is presented as FUN. Sure, t
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Cherry is the peak of white feminism that tries very hard, but did not deliver. I would’ve probably liked it four years ago, but this is nothing new anymore.

We have a group of girls who made a pact to lose their virginity by the end of their senior graduation. In a inclusion scale, compared to its other YA counterparts – Cherry tried. One of the girls is half Japanese, but she was described in an exotic way. Tragic, while the other is wlw as well.

The only thing that I like about it is the explo
Dahlia
I adored the hell out of this. Not only does it totally deliver on the promise of being a YA version of American Pie for girls (which is a premise I LOVE) but it does so with great friendships among girls, so much honesty and awkwardness, and in a not-completely-heteronormative fashion!! And it even acknowledges fear of the future and discusses what people are doing next instead of pretending high school is a vacuum! Seriously, if you are remotely interested in how sex is handled in YA, this nee ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Wow. I just really was not expecting to love this book. I mean, yes, I was into the premise, but I’m a shallow person and I loathed both cover and title so my expectations were very low. While I know that you’re not meant to judge books by their covers, that’s literally what my blog is most famous for so um let’s just say that I’m not good at ignoring the cover art. Until I open the book and fall in love with the words, the characters, the plot, as happened here. Cherry captured my heart from th ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This book is marketed as being about boys and boyfriends, but it's really about girls growing up. Cherry touches on nonstraight sexuality, the fact that the concept of virginity is inherently flawed, the fact that girls shouldn't have to lose their virginities to be valid, and even masturbation. It's surprisingly and happily feminist, especially for a book with this kind of blurb.

This so easily could've come off childish and silly, but through good messages and good characterization, Cherry sta
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Review can originally be found on Heart Full of Books

This is the story of four friends who decide that before they graduate high school they MUST lose their virginity. They call it ‘The Sex Pact’. The premise in general – the whole we need to have sex by a deadline thing – was the main issue we had with this book. But there are so many pros that make this a real must-read for teenage girls who don’t want to feel ashamed for enjoying sex or don’t feel comfortable talking about sexual content with
Beatrice in Bookland
"The Crew would always be friends.
Best friends.
But being best friends and being “together” would not always mean the same thing as it did right now."

Why does Cherry have such a low rating???
I think it's because by reading the summary, you immediately assume that the entire book is gonna focus on sex.
Well, you couldn't be more wrong because Cherry is all about friendship.

We have four amazing main characters: Layla, Emma, Zoe and Alex (my favorite). Thorough the story, we see their different appro
Jessi ♡
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
this was so cUTE. i love good healthy female relationships.
K.
Trigger warnings: slut shaming. I think that was all??

3.25 stars.

So here's the thing: I LOVED the idea of this. I mean, a group of teenage girls who make a pact to lose their virginities on their own terms by the end of senior year? Y.E.S. And from start to finish, this book is very sex positive. Which is GREAT.

However. The writing was...stilted. The dialogue was decidedly written-by-an-adult-who-thinks-they-know-how-teenagers-talk-but-really-don't. I honestly couldn't tell the four protagonist
Isabela
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

So, reading the sysnopis for Cherry here in Goodreads, you get:
"In this honest, frank, and funny debut novel, four best friends make a pact during their senior year of high school to lose their virginities—and end up finding friendship, love, and self-discovery along the way."

... and, really, I couldn't describe it better.

I've never read a YA book in which girls talked so openly about sex and understanding what made them feel good without judging and/or slut-shaming. The romance w
Immacolata
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Cherry is a book about four friends who make a sex pact,their going to lose their virginity until they graduate.the whole story is about how they start thinking and talking about sex,when it's only six month to graduation from high school,in a way like they didn't even know ANYTHING about sex before!
fact is we are not living in the 19th century or some time like that,people learn about sex maybe even in middle school and then when you go to high school you may even read about it at least in a
Gerard Villegas
*GASP!!!* Teens having sex? SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! Yeah, we know teenagers engaging in sexual behavior is nothing new and there are tons of really good YA's that deal with such a sensitive subject matter. Sadly, this isn't one of them!

I grabbed this galley because I wasn't sure if this is something we should order and put in the teen section of our store because it did deals with a controversial relevant topic of human sexual behavior. The premise seemed interesting of a group of girls wanting to
Megan  (YABookers)
I received this free from the publishers via NetGalley

Four girls – Layla, Alex, Emma, and Zoe – make a pact to lose their virginity before they graduate. Layla is determined to lose it to her boyfriend Logan, so she’s sure she’s got in in the bag. Alex has already done it, or she says she has. Emma is not seeing the fun or the fuss in the pact, but why the hell not? And Zoe can’t even say the word orgasm without turning red and bursting into giggles. But along the way they encounter new relation
Megan
This didn't work for me at all. It didn't grab me, or excite me, and even one hundred pages in, I was still finding it hard to distinguish between the four girls. The other thing was that I realised that I just didn't care, either. Not about the characters, and not about the way in which the plot was developing. Rosin's writing was fine, but it remained 'just okay' and didn't blow me away with anything special or particularly engrossing.

Ugh. I was expecting a fun and empowering read, with lots o
La chica que leía
3.5
alex
I picked this book up at ALA in a whim because I thought it looked interesting and really unique. I thought it looked cool, but I never thought that I would end up loving a book about a sex pact as much as I did. Read on, fellow bookworms, because I have a lot of praise to shout about this book!

The plot focuses on the 4 girls and their lives, or mainly, their sex pact and all things relating to it. I was never bored, and I thought the balance between the 4 POVs was perfect. But despite it starti
Rachel Solomon
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sex-positive-ya
LOVED. American Pie for/with girls is really the most perfect description of this book. The sex positivity made me SO happy.
Diane Vallere
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, chicklit, romance, ya
Sex and the City meets American Pie with Judy Blume sprinkles on top. Loved it.
Camilla (thecrazyreader)
È un libro bello, dolce e sincero.
Si può definire il libro dell'altra medaglia. L'altra medaglia dei libri che ti propinano la prima volta come perfetta, magica e la cosa più bella del mondo. Questo libro ti da una panoramica sulla realtà della situazione, dove la prima volta può essere romantica e magica, ma anche disastrosa o impacciata.
Ho adorato tutte le protagoniste, soprattutto per le loro imperfezioni, perché è questo che le ha fatte sembrare vere.
Il libro affronta tutti i pensieri del
Kamalia
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I received Cherry as a review copy and didn't really know what to expect. The main gist of it from the blurb got me curious and intrigued. It sounded like it was going to be a light and funny book, and in a way it was. Unfortunately, i had mixed feelings about it, but i still did enjoy some parts of it. I'm rating this 3 out of 5 stars.

I have to admit, I was actually quite shocked at how many sex scenes there were in this book, though this is mostly because I didn't think Young Adult books would
Dana
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Actual rating: 2.5 stars, rounded down.

I had a lot of mixed feelings about this book; some aspects of it were absolutely amazing, but it just frustrated me to no end. (Let's talk about the good bits first though, shall we?)

- It's bitingly honest and true to the teenage experience. The author doesn't spare us any of the nitty-gritty details, which I found absolutely refreshing. I've never read a book that dealt with teenage sex so openly, and still managed to portray the situation in a semi-real
Emily Mead
So I'm of mixed thoughts for this one.

Things I loved:

1) Female friendship. These four girls are so tight, and it really shows in their weekly fro-yo meetings and love for each other. YA so needs more of that.

2) Sex-positive. This is like a newer Princess Diaries in terms of sex-positive stories and I love it - there's a lot about consent, protection, and telling your partner what you want. That was really good and another thing YA desperately needs more of.

3) It wasn't all just white girls a
Katrina Leno
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-read
Such a great, sex-positive book about four girls learning to love and know themselves and learning what they want to happen to them/their bodies/their lives. Can't say enough good things about this debut- I loved it and want to read it all over again!
Francesca
Aug 18, 2016 marked it as to-read
This is literally the plot of American Pie but with girls, and I'm in!
Ava
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh, I liked this a lot. RTC.
Serisop (Cioccolatoelibri)
Questo libro mi ha confusa e non so bene cosa ne penso, combattuta tra la trama superficiale e il libro scritto molto bene.
Prima di tutto voglio chiarire che non lo trovo assolutamente un libro da far leggere alle ragazzine, va bene solo se siete già verso gli ultimi anni delle superiori altrimenti fatevi un favore e non prendete questo libro come esempio.
Ho trovato tantissime situazioni e tantissimi discorsi affrontati con troppa leggerezza, ma ho anche trovato tanti momenti dolci, alcuni perso
  • Unscripted Joss Byrd
  • My Unscripted Life
  • The Last True Love Story
  • Devils & Thieves (Devils & Thieves, #1)
  • Ripple
  • Alterations
  • To Catch a Killer (Erin Blake #1)
  • Saving Hamlet
  • If I Fix You
  • Black Bird of the Gallows (Black Birds of the Gallows, #1)
  • Doreen
  • Fire and Heist
  • If the Magic Fits (100 Dresses, #1)
  • It's Not Me, It's You
  • Songs About a Girl (Songs About a Girl, #1)
  • Iron Cast
  • A Week of Mondays
  • Goodbye Days
“The secret to being an adult and knowing what you were doing just meant Googling the answer without asking anyone else first.” 2 likes
“You are so far away from doing this right, I think you might be close.” 0 likes