Start by marking “A Tiger Tail: (Or What Happened to Anya on Her First Day of School)” as Want to Read:
A Tiger Tail: (Or What Happened to Anya on Her First Day of School)

A Tiger Tail: (Or What Happened to Anya on Her First Day of School)

Anya wakes up to discover that she has grown a tiger tail. Yes, a striped tiger tail. It also happens to be the first day of school. What will the other kids think? Are girls with tiger tails even allowed to go to school?!

Anya is about to find out.
Published July 5th 2016 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Tiger Tail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tiger Tail

Start your review of A Tiger Tail: (Or What Happened to Anya on Her First Day of School)
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

What would life be like with a tail? A Tiger Tail by Mike Boldt might make you wonder. :)

It was Anya’s first day of school. First day! And what happens? Anya wakes up with a tiger’s tail! What’s a girl to do? She can’t go to school with a tail. Should she skip school, miss the bus, pretend to be sick? Oh wait…

“Anya realized there was only one choice for a girl with a tiger tail. She would have to run away and join the circus. Would it be so bad? Popcorn for dinner. Swinging on t/>“Anya
Beth
When Anya wakes up on the first day of school with a tiger tail, she tries to find every possible way to not go to school. But she might just be surprised by what she discovers when she finally does make it to school.

A lovely story about acceptance (of others AND ourselves) and celebrating differences.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is a great picture book to pick up for any young read who's anxious about starting the first day at school.

Read my FULL REVIEW here www.mundiekids.blogspot.com
Dorine White
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Story-
On Anya's first day of school she wakes up to find that she has grown a tiger's tail! Oh No! Her parents tell her not to worry, that it goes well with her red hair and wild side, but Anya is not comforted. She does everything she can think of to get rid of her tail, but nothing works. She will have to go to school with it. How will the other student's react? Will they even let a girl with a tiger's tail go to school? Anya will find out.

My Thoughts-
This is a deli
Mary Ann
When Anya awakes to discover that she’s grown a tiger’s tail overnight, she’s horrified. ”What will the other kids think?” Her parents just don’t understand and nothing seems to help. Boldt’s illustrations are full of color and humor, showing how life is full of diversity in more ways than one.
Joanne
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This will be the book I read to my grade 8s on the first day of school. We all feel this way in all new situations.
Maki
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
We are all different and that is what is what makes us special.
Elisabeth
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
These sort of digitally rendered illustrations aren't really my thing; they have an almost Precious Moments level of over the top saccharine sweetness. That said, this is a solid picture book about first day of school anxiety and embracing differences, both our own and those of other people.
Tara
Sep 20, 2016 added it
accepting others differences
Trudy Zufelt
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first day of school is scary enough but for Anya it's about to get worse. Anya wakes up to and discovers, to her dismay, that she has grown a tiger's tail. No way will her new school let her in with a a tail, right? Her mother assures her it brings out her wild side and goes well with her hair. Her dad compares it to the time he got glasses. Either way, her parents are not going to let her miss school and Anya is about to find out that she will be allowed inside.

Anya does everyth
Kid Lit Reviews
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2016-reviews
Anya has a tiger tail. Not the kind you get at the zoo gift shop and hang off the end of your bike. No, Anya has grown a tiger’s tail, right where one should grow—if little girls were to grow tiger tails. The bigger problem is this: today is the first day of school—real school, not kindergarten. The kind with desks, books, and teachers that don’t make you take a nap. What about the kids? What would they say about a classmate with a tiger tail?

Anya decides she needs to do something. S
Reading Rainbow Community
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
LOVE this book depicting a kid's anxiety about the first day of school. Anya is worried she'll stand out, she'll be teased, she won't make friends... all because she woke up with a tiger tail! Her antics are hilarious for kids and grownups alike, and when she finds out she's not as different as she thinks she is you will laugh out loud and cheer with joy.
Jana
Kids that are nervous and self-conscious on the first day of school will definitely be able to relate to this book. Anya wakes up on the first day of school and discovers that she has grown a tail. The illustrations are hilarious and support the text very well! This one will be very popular on the shelf of my classroom library!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Marvelous. Anya wakes up on the first day of school and discovers she has a tiger tale. Eek. What to do? Her parents aren't much help. Finally, she struggles through and learns...there are worse things than a tiger tale. Marvelous for first day of school. Marvelous for kids who feel like they are different. Marvelous any ol' time.
Colby Sharp
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2016
I love first day of school books! This one is a lot of fun.
Michele Knott
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book that shows differences really aren't a big deal.
Love Mike Boldt's illustrations.
Jillian Heise
I love this one! Illustrations are fabulous, and the story is funny and sweet. Good story for acceptance and community building.
Diane
A humorous reminder that we all have differences in how we look, but it shouldn't make a difference in who we are. The last illustration is priceless.
Jenny
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute and funny! A young girl wakes up on the first day of school and she suddenly has a tail. Not a ponytail or pigtails...but a tiger tail. How can she go to school with a tail?
Laura Mossa
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh no! Anya wakes up and discovers she has a tiger tail! To make matters worse, it just happens to be the first day of school! When her parents do not seem concerned, Anya decides to take care of her predicament by herself. Her attempts though are not working , and she finds herself at the front of her school building still sporting a tail. Read the book to find out how Anya’s first day of school went.

This amusing yet warm picture book is my pick for our first read aloud for #classro
Hanna Municipal Library
A fun read lots of well-illustrated pages. The book took us on a "tail" of Anya's morning of her first day of school and how nervous she was about going with her new tail. We read about how Anya wanted to hide the tail and when that didn't go as planned, she wanted to hide. Throughout the story, we asked questions like "What do you do when you feel nervous", "what makes you special like Anya." The kids at the playgroup all agreed they hide or hug mom and that special hugs from mom help them feel ...more
Dana
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
This is a totally fun book about feeling different at school. When Anya wakes up with a tiger tail, she doesn't want to go to her first day of school. What will the other kids think? She tries a variety of funny ways to get out of going to school, but her parents deftly ignore the problem as if it were not there and get her to school. Once there, she learns that everyone is different and it is ok.
Linda
A charming tale or tail about girl who wakes up on the first day of school only to find she has grown a tail. She tries many hilarious ways to get out of going to school. Once she reaches school she realizes it is okay to be different when she sees that other children in her class also have unique attributes. A fun read for Kindergarten.
Kaila Anderson
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for the first day/week of school. Girl scared to go to school with a tiger tail but ends up having other friends in the class with animals. AMAZING illustrations. Very cute and relatable.
Mandie
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anya woke up on the first day of school with a tiger tail! No matter what she tries, it just won't go away. What will the other kids think?

A story about being different and accepting yourself and others for what's on the inside and not the outside. The pictures and story are very well done.
Sharlene Robertson
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I rated it 4 stars, 22 students rated it 3.1
Vanessa
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute little book, my 5 year old loves it.
Julie Kirchner
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about being okay with who you are. I especially loved the expressive illustrations.
Brownd2
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
fun look at differences and how they don't really matter and not to worry about them.
Miss Sarah
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Anna wakes up the first day of school with a tiger tail. She absolutely can't go to school like this but no one seems to care. Will she fit in a t school? Cute and simple enough for toddlers.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Pig the Pug
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book about Manners
  • What If Everybody Did That?
  • All Are Welcome
  • Perfect
  • Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey
  • Too Many Carrots
  • I Am a Tiger
  • The Day You Begin
  • You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • The Word Collector
  • School's First Day of School
  • We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • Bear Came Along
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Wacky Wednesday
  • I'm Here
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
Mike Boldt has been my name
for quite a few years

Some people call me an Author / Illustrator
I’ve been called worse

I like ice cream a lot

I still enjoy cartoons

I‘ve drawn since I was young

I read (picture) books

I like to write & Draw them too

I'm amazed and grateful every day this is my job.