Start by marking “Love Blind” as Want to Read:
Love Blind

Love Blind

It starts with a list of fears. Stupid things really. Things that Hailey shouldn't worry about, wouldn’t worry about if she didn’t wake up every morning with the world a little more blurry. Unable to see her two moms clearly. Unable to read the music for her guitar. One step closer to losing the things she cares about the most.

For a while, the only thing that keeps Hailey
Published May 10th 2016 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Love Blind, please sign up.
Jolene Perry THANK YOU!!
The writing process for this book was a BLAST.
THANK YOU!!
The writing process for this book was a BLAST.
Christa Desir is just an amazing writer, and pushed me to work harder, which was great. She's also one of the most stellar humans I've ever had the priviledge of knowing, so there's that ;-)
Our ending changed drastically through edits, but we're super happy about how it turned out! Thanks for your interest :-)(less)

Carmen
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People Who Like Realistic YA
"I don't think you need to be perfect for Hailey."

"You're wrong. I do. Because otherwise she won't keep me. She may start out with me and maybe even kiss me, but then when she realizes I'm such a fucking mess, she'll throw me out the door, and I don't think I could take it. Like then maybe the last piece of me will break off."

"So much poetry. You could be Russian. But this is crap."

This book ended up being layered and complex. It actually has vivid characters who change and grow over the course
Chiara
Oct 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Laura's Book Addiction
'She squeezed me so tight I thought I'd stop breathing and fall off the world and into her and it would finally, finally be okay, because sometimes people needed to be held so hard they hurt.'

I have to start of by saying I'm a massive fan-girl for all of Jolene's books. But this is the first book by C Desir that I've read so I wasn't sure what I was going to get from this novel. Love Blind took me on such a journey and struck a really nerve as my dad is struggling with macular degeneration just
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Basic Info

Format:
Hardback
Pages/Length: 320pgs
Genre: Young Adult; Contemporary
Reason For Reading: Cover!

At A Glance

Total: 7

In Dept

Best Part:
Bucket lists!
Worst Part: Quick ending!
Thoughts Had: and then?!

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
n/a
Recommending: Yes

Short Review: Anything with or about bu
Brooke Banks
Read for free during Riveted Lit’s fundraiser campaign for It Gets Better.

Content Warning: Rape, Malfunctioning Parenting, Bullying

It’s hard reading the top reviews for this book since my reactions are so wildly different. #OddOneOut

Love Blind is a meaningful, funny, realistic, sarcastic, tale of two teens struggling with mental and physical issues while navigating the trials of high school. And this isn’t some Mean Girl drama. This is rape, a degenerative disease, bi-polar mood swings, anxiety
Madison
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
When I first heard about Love Blind it went straight on my to-read list due to the similarities to Eric Lindstrom's Not If I See You First, which I had absolutely loved. And maybe that's not the best way to pick a book, because this book wasn't even in the same dimension as Not if I See You First. Love Blind was more about lust and sex and two teens having a million near misses than it was about blindness, courage and sorting through fears.

Hailey is going blind so she creates a fear list of thi
Tammy
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gifted
Hailey is a sixteen year old high school student and a talented musician. She's making a fear list because she's quickly losing her eye sight and wants to face several fears before she's completely blind. Kyle works at the school radio station and uses music to avoid talking and facing his fears. Hailey believes if Kyle makes his own fear list it will help him become more vocal. Their story is told in alternating chapters between Kyle and Hailey's POVs. I loved how Hailey thought and said most o ...more
Nicole
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I wasn't a huge fan of the beginning of this book, though I liked Hailey as a character, because Kyle was a pervy weirdo who kept referencing his "junk" and calling vaginas "pink parts."

Yup. Pink parts.

But now that I've finished I understand it was meant to show the progression of his maturity, as the book spans from junior year of high school to sophomore year of college. Kyle was much more likable during the second half. I wasn't a fan of how abruptly the book seemed to end, with still so ma
Read InAGarden
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hailey eyesight is failing. She knows she will eventually go blind - probably sooner rather than later. This scares her and she wants to make the most of her life before she looses her vision. She's created a list of things/fears she feels she must do/face before her eyesight goes away. While playing with her band she meets Kyle, a boy she senses is hiding from life. Hailey decides that Kyle needs to face his fears and reclaim life and badgers him into creating his own list. Then over the course ...more
Mandie Baxter
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I adore this book. As someone with poor (though not as bad as H's) it was refreshing to "see" into someone else's life like this. And K...so cute and such a sweet guy. Definitely the type of guy I would have gone for in HS. Loved the fear list idea. Something I kind of want to do now. Except there's no way I'm holding a giant spider! Overall a great read. Well done, ladies. Well done!
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Review
First, let me tell you the reasons why I was so excited this book:

I liked both books I read by Christa Desir (LOVED Other Broken Things) and Jolene Perry last year
Blind main character which I enjoyed in Not If I See You First so eager to read about another
That cover is simplistic perfection to me

OK so I was pretty pumped to pick this one up. However, for the first 40ish% I was kind of underwhelmed. I wasn't connecting as much to either main character - Hailey or Kyle. Hailey was
Kira Brighton
Jun 13, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nope
I chose Christa Desir as my three-book author for my YA Lit class because she was the first author (alphabetically) from whom I had three books on my TBR. I enjoy reading a lot of "problem novels," which is likely what drew me to her books. They are, however, dark. The teens who read these books need to be able to deal with a good bit of explicit content.

I didn't enjoy this novel, which Christa co-wrote with Jolene Perry, as much as the other two I read during the class term. This one goes back
Emma
I feel like I’m on a trend lately where I get really excited by the possibility of a book being great. Great cover, great premise, lots of room to really go deep with the characters, but it’s like, nope! Not even close. I really, really wanted to love this but I felt like it was trying too hard. A blind, angry, loner rock star with vegan, lesbian mums who falls for a radio DJ with no father and a substance abusive mother. What?! Too. Much. Going. On. I wouldn’t question it so much if it was well ...more
Katie Labovitz
Jun 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dalene
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

“Love Blind” tells the story of Hailey, a girl who is slowly losing her vision. Hailey knows that she will be blind, it is not a matter of “if” it is a matter of “when”. Hailey creates a list of fears. A list of what she is afraid to do, but wants to do it. Have sex. Tongue kiss. Spiders. The list goes on and on. Hailey is learning to cope with her vision when she meet’s Kyle. Kyle is the nice guy who happens to get beat up continually. Kyle’
Jessica
Another YA romance where the two interested parties spend the entire book narrowly avoiding the one conversation that would solve all of the story's tension/conflict. YA Lovers, willyoupleasejustspeaktooneanotheralready??

Also, if I could wave my magic wand and erase all bucket list type plots from future YA books, I would.

That being said... otherwise light and reasonably entertaining?
Allison B.
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars because this book although it was good at times other parts it was SO predictable. Helpless girl loves a guy. Other parts too she made the stupidest of decisions and it was like,"WHY WOULD YOU EVER MAKE THAT DECISION!!!" I wouldn't recommend this book to people under the age of 12/13 years old.
Rummy
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karley Essington
Wow. What a well put together novel. This book had me on the first page, like actually. I wanted to keep reading and keep reading and anything that stopped me was an annoyance. Strongly recommend and a new favorite.
Sherry
May 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Looking at the other books written by the authors of Love Blind, they both have a tendency to write stories where their characters have REALLY big issues to deal with—and that’s definitely true with this novel as well.

Hailey is losing her vision, her life a slow countdown to the day she won’t be able to see anything at all. Kyle is caring for his angry and depressed mother at home and being bullied at school; he tries as hard as he can to be invisible, to the point of barely speaking to other p
Emily
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kyle is a quiet, bullied junior who hides behind books and in the audio booth of the high school radio station. Hailey is slowly going blind due to macular degeneration, glaucoma and a host of other eye issues. Kyle tries has one friend and tries his best to fly under the radar. Hailey is in a girl band and very outgoing. These two opposites come together one day when Hailey is being interviewed about her band by the radio station. Hailey feels an instant draw and Kyle, in his own quiet way, fee ...more
Robin
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a breath of fresh air. I read a lot of YA and often contemporary frustrates me. There is usually a boy and a girl and they meet and then something dramatic goes down and there is fall out and then they have to fix it somehow and then everybody is happy. Sometimes it's well done and I enjoy it but more often than not, it's okay and I promptly forget what the story was about.
This book takes a couple of kids who have some things going on before they meet. One is intrigued and de
Alexis Stankewitz
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This was a really really good book. I have never read a book in which the protagonist is going blind/is legally blind. I loved this book! Hailey has a degenerative eye condition which means sooner or later she's going to go completely blind. She handles it well and I really do love that Hailey is very sassy. I really laughed at her sassier moments and I liked how she made a list of fears and stuck to it. As someone who has a similar thing as Hailey (I have Rentianopathy of Prematurity , basicall ...more
Rachel Reeves
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for providing a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.

16 year old Hailey, lead singer of a girl band, is gradually losing her vision. Kyle, 17, works at the school radio station and can barely speak to other people (severe social anxiety? never really spelled out). The two meet and form this odd friendship tinged with a lot of will they/won't they get together angst thrown in. Hailey is not all that likable, but I did really like Kyle's character
Kate Schreffler
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
3.5 really. I did enjoy the book, and I was intrigued by the characters, but I felt the plot was rather typical YA. I think the time line added a realistic feel to it, having it last years instead of weeks or months. Neither character jumps right into a relationship and they both have their doubts. They both grow and develop. But I still felt a little underwhelmed. Overall, I did enjoy the book, but instead of making a huge impression on me, it kind of just blended in.
Kathleen
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-galley, 2015
Marian
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been trying to think how to review this book. I really liked it, despite being horrified at what parents let their 15 year olds have the freedom to do. In this book. However, the story was unusual and interesting, the characters were enjoyable, and the writing was good. So, everybody read it! :)
A.
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank and irreverent. I like that some things (namely, the two moms) were not made issue of but that other issues that were (I felt) more significant, but are often overlooked in YA literature were.
Heather
A little edgy
Take Me Away To A Great Read
REVIEW TO COME
  • Boy vs. Girl
  • Baygirl
  • The Queen's Secret (Lucy Morgan, #1)
  • N/A
  • An Uninterrupted View of the Sky
  • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
  • Drew (Changers, #1)
  • Year of Mistaken Discoveries
  • The Other Half of Me
  • What Momma Left Me
  • Played (Hooked, #2)
  • The Free
  • The Mephisto Mark (The Mephisto Covenant #3)
  • Storm (Salt, #2)
  • The Lake Effect
  • The Secret Sky
  • Stronger Than You Know
  • Frannie and Tru
I'm a YA author who loves dark contemporary books. Novels include: FAULT LINE (Oct 2013), BLEED LIKE ME (Oct 2014), OTHER BROKEN THINGS (Jan 2016), LOVE BLIND (May 2016), and FOUR-LETTER WORD (May 2018).

I am also a feminist, rape victim activist, book seller, and romance novel editor. I live outside of Chicago with my husband and our three children.