Start by marking “It Came in the Mail” as Want to Read:
It Came in the Mail

It Came in the Mail

Published June 21st 2016 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about It Came in the Mail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Came in the Mail

Archit Ojha
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It Came in the Mail is a humorous and full on entertaining read. I'm getting a hang of these children's books.

The story of Liam reminded me of how I used to send handmade Birthday invitations to my relatives in the mail without a stamp in them.

I loved the pictures.
Pooja
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I wish I had the same mail box as Liam.
Lata
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story coupled with Ben Clanton’s chalk- or watercolour-like bold and humourous illustrations. And there’s a dragon, Sizzlefritz! :)
paula
Every kid loves to get mail. Giving a kid a subscription to Cricket or Sports Illustrated Kids or Gamer World (or whatever) is one of the quickest tricks to con a resistant reader into turning some pages. When I was a kid, I wanted mail so badly that I filled out every postal response card that fell out of a magazine. Because of this, at the age of eleven, I regularly received catalogs from Spiegel, Horchow, and Victoria's Secret. Also, recruiters from at least two branches of our armed forces k ...more
Heidi-Marie
Fun and cute. Greediness that turns to sharing can be a lesson learned if need be. Lots of humor in the illustrations that likely only school-age kids will get in a read-alone. Lap-reads may still be fun. And performing/reading this in storytime could be a lot of fun.

4/19/17 Opener for M theme. They loved it! Loved seeing all the things he got in the mail. I left out the speech bubbles and such. Just let them enjoy the pictures. The might not have quite grasped the mail part, since they may not
Abigail
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories with a Little Magic
Longing for mail, Liam writes a letter to his mailbox, asking it to send him something. Anxious to oblige, the mailbox send him a dragon. So pleased with this gift, Liam asks for more and more from the mailbox, until he is eventually overwhelmed. What can he do with all of these magical packages...? The answer comes when he considers other children, and the fact that they too might want to get some mail...

An entertaining tale about magic, wishes and mail, It Came in the Mail is sure to please yo
Emma (Miss Print)
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really fun. It's like Dear Zoo but on acid.

Full review:
Liam loves getting mail. The only problem is no one seems to want to send anything to Liam. In a fit of genius, Liam write a letter to his mailbox asking for some fun mail. The mailbox goes above and beyond with a dragon. After getting this wonderful piece of mail, Liam writes more and more letters to get more and more amazing things from the mailbox.

After getting so many amazing things in the mail (often with hilarious results) Ben realize
Kirsti Call
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted to receive a review copy of IT CAME IN THE MAIL from Simon and Schuster in exchange for an honest review.

IT CAME IN THE MAIL is a hilarious, yet sweet story about a boy who wants mail and in the end realizes that giving is much better than getting. This story will resonate with everyone, especially since snail mail has become even more special with the digital age. After reading this to my children, my 5-year-old wouldn't put it down for days. That's a mark of good book!!!

With
Miss Ryoko
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Ben Clanton's work, but I especially loved this one!! (I probably said that about the other books of his I love :-p )

The illustrations were fantastic! I loved the postcard look and the postal stampings... it was great. The characters were cute, and the story was fun! I also loved that the dragon's name was Sizzlefritz. I even loved the author bio at the end (don't worry Ben, I wouldn't want to get a spider in the mail either).

Ben Clanton produces some fantastic picture books. If you haven
Jocelin
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a super sweet little picture book. This little gem tells the story of a little boy that wants to receive a piece of mail. He implores his mailbox to send him something, and the first item he receives is a dragon. After that, he receives tons of stuff and then is completely overwhelmed. He decides that his needs to send this menagerie of items to other kids who would like to receive mail.

What I loved about this book is that it showed the importance of reaching out to others with letters.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This is an wonderful story! With it's message about sharing, and sometimes hilarious storyline, mixed with it's adorable and expressive illustrations, this a book I would highly recommend picking up! I love it when we read a book that not only makes us feel happy, it's one we're still talking about long after we read it. Be warned, this book may make you want to go write a letter to your mailbox asking for mail. Who wouldn't want to receive a dragon in the mail?

Read my FULL REVIEW here http://m
Dolly
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous tale about the joys of correspondence, sharing, and the magic of a child's imagination. The narrative is short, with a large font, and children will enjoy pointing out the items that are delivered to Liam.

Adults will likely chuckle at the numerous puns - many of them will likely not make much sense to children, but will likely ease the ennui of many rereadings.

The illustrations, created using pencil and watercolor and assembled digitally, are cartoonish and fun, with many of
Lauren
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story that will make you smile because of the pictures. Liam wanted mail so he asked his mailbox to send him something big, then more stuff, then a Gazillion more things. Realizing he has more than he needs, Liam and his mailbox work together to send things to other people who might like to get mail.
Viviane Elbee
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fantastic book that can be used as a starting point to discuss writing letters, mail & how the post office really works. But mostly it is just fun - because honestly, what could be more fun than getting a flying dragon in your mailbox? Kids loved this and voted to give the story 5 stars.
eimn
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great illustrations, great narration, and great lesson about giving back and enjoying what we have. I would recommend it!
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more Picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Liam is dying to receive mail, after a light bulb moment he writes a letter to his mailbox. And boy does the mailbox deliver and then some! When he becomes overwhelmed by his deliveries he is struck by another light bulb moment.

This was such a super cute book. My nephew's mouth just kind of hung open the entire book. I've never seen that level of concentration during a story before. He's been struck by certain illustrations or speci
Margie

Day in and day out, usually six days a week, people everywhere it is delivered check some form of a mailbox to see what has arrived. They might have to go to the post office to open their designated space, walk to the edge of a roadway or simply step outside. No matter how many times this is done, when first opening the door there is a hint of anticipation in the moment. Our head is telling us the mailbox will be holding bills, sales promotion flyers or the latest welcome magazine subscription.
Kathy Winge
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged to get to read an advance copy of this adorable book and I can hardly wait to order it for my grandchildren. The illustrations are so well done and the story so cute about all these fun things that come in the mail. It definitely grabs & holds a child's interest - and mine, too! Loved it!
Brandy
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
An adorable read about a boy who loved to receive mail but never received any. He gets an idea and decided to write a letter to his mailbox. His mailbox brings him surprises and Liam quickly becomes overwhelmed with gifts. He decides to share and mails things to his friends. Very cute, and a lesson on sharing.
Rachel
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Very imaginative. A little boy, aptly named Liam (like my son), wants desperately to get something in the mail. So he writes a nice little note to the mailbox begging for something and gets a surprise, a dragon in the mail. So he asks for more and chaos ensues, but he comes up with a clever solution. Recommended for ages 4-8, 5 stars.
Earl
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute story about a boy who never gets anything in the mail but desperately wants to. He figures the best way to do so is to someone else a mail first. He writes his mailbox and soon gets surprising deliveries!
Carolina Wool
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable!!! A story about a boy who wants to receive mail -- every kid's dream! The colorful pages and integration of old mail memorabilia is so much fun too! Worth a read, or two, or three...
b.andherbooks
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Great illustrations with a nice message on sharing the wealth. Also, funny language and a few toots.
Debbie Smith
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book

Liam loves mail so much that he finds himself checking the mailbox every few seconds to see if he’s received any. Nope. To date, he’s never got any. So he comes up with the idea to write a note and mail it in hopes of receiving mail back. Who better to write to than his mailbox. “Dear Mailbox, I would like to get something in the mail. Something BIG! Please! Love, Liam.” As soon as he puts the letter in the mailbox it shakes and makes lots of strange noises. Wow! Is it possible writing the mailb
Angie
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "From the author-illustrator of Something Extraordinary comes a tale filled with dragons, pickles, friendship, and lots of mail—perfect for fans of Mo Williams and Bob Shea.

Liam really wants some mail, so he writes a letter to his mailbox asking for something in return. His mailbox delivers, sending Liam more than he could have hoped for…and how! But as the mail starts to pile up, Liam realizes that the best packages and parcels are even better when shared with friends."

My Review: Munc
Katie Cram
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 50-books
This is a great children's picture book that lets you use your imagination. Liam really wants some mail so he sends a letter to his mailbox asking the mailbox to send him some mail. Liam goes to check the mailbox and discovers a dragon and much more. The fact that Liam keeps getting more and more stuff lets kids use their imagination. Throughout this book you think, but will Liam get next? I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book because they painted the picture for the story line. They a ...more
Délice
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wildly beloved book, we just checked this one out for the first time last week and it has been a bedtime FAVORITE!! @benclantoon wows us with a delightful story about a litle boy who really wishes he could get some mail. He decides to try writing a letter to the mailbox to request some mail, and is shocked when he gets more than he bargained for!! My favorite feature of this story is that several pages have the illustration drawn on real envelopes!! So whimsical. We adore Ben Clanton's a ...more
Melanie
Liam loves getting mail. Well, at least he thinks he does; he never gets any. Then he has a brilliant idea to send a letter to the mailbox itself asking for mail. The mailbox delivers: one fire-breathing dragon. Liam is ecstatic! He asks the mailbox for more stuff, and then even more. Eventually he realizes that getting stuff in the mail is great, but at some point it does become too much. He decides to ask the mailbox to send some of the stuff to his friends around the world. The fire-breathing ...more
Gabrielle Stoller
"It Came in the Mail" is another book that has been recognized as a CLEL winner. And indeed, it is pretty great.

Liam wants mail. So he writes a letter to his mailbox asking....and what do you know!! A dragon appears. But that's not all.....but Liam soon finds that he is getting more than needs. Maybe there are others who would like mail as well.

Children might not immediately pick up on the character building. Yet there are elements of giving to others, making do with what you have....these are
Linda
I love a good funny picture book and this fits the bill. When a young boy gets frustrated that he doesn't get any mail, he decides to write a note to his mailbox asking for mail. His first package from the mailbox is a pet dragon. He soon wants more and more. The pages begin to fill with wild and wacky gifts. Realizing his greed, the boy decides to share the mail he has been getting. This makes a great story to read to preschool and early elementary. There is much to see on each of the pages pro ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Duncan, the Story Dragon
  • If I Had a Gryphon
  • The Monkey Goes Bananas
  • Orion and the Dark
  • A Unicorn Named Sparkle (A Unicorn Named Sparkle #1)
  • Caring for Your Lion
  • Escargot
  • Niblet & Ralph
  • The Lion Inside
  • Also An Octopus
Ben Clanton is the author/illustrator of such books as Something Extraordinary, Rex Wrecks It!, Mo's Mustache, Vote for Me!, and The Table Sets Itself. When Ben isn't doodling up stories (and often when he is) he likes to cook, explore outdoors, and play basketball. Ben lives in Seattle, WA with his wife and goldendoodle pup. Find out more about Ben at www.benclanton.com.