Start by marking “The Class” as Want to Read:
The Class

The Class

Count along with twenty young students from nineteen different homes as they get ready for their first day of kindergarten.

Published July 5th 2016 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about The Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Class

Reading Rainbow Community
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Delightful! A perfect book for new preschool or kindergartners.
Lisa D
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific back to school book for young kids! Loved it!
Tasha
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A group of twenty children prepare for their first day of Kindergarten in this witty and charming picture book. The book starts with the different ways the children wake up from those who are up early to the grumpy ones to those who want to sleep and sleep. Next comes putting on clothes, then brushing and combing hair, and putting on shoes. Breakfast is next with pancakes or cereal or juice. Backpacks are put on, children catch the bus, are driven to school or walk. Emotions run high. And then f ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I wanted to read this book for the illustrations, and those did not disappoint. The text, thought, is a bit of a jumble. Each page shows several kids all from the same pre-K or kindergarten class, as they prepare for their first day. Depending on their personalities and circumstances, kids prepare in different ways - getting up early, and sleeping through the alarm, buying a new backpack, or snatching up a hand-me-down, putting ribbons in their hair or barely taming their bedhead. The text talks ...more
Olivia Slykhuis
This is a great picture book about a class' worth of kids getting ready for their first day of school. Shows that everyone comes from a different situation, but everyone ends up together and doing okay in the class. Cute rhyming and illustrations, love the diversity of experiences represented. Good for an end of summer/beginning of fall storytime or maybe a first day. A bit long for really little ones. Good for pre-school age, who it's really aimed at, 3-4+
Ms. Shoshana
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Kids around town are getting ready to start a new school year. They are all different - some move fast, some move slow, some are up early, some oversleep - but they are ready to join together to be a class. coworker really liked this book because of how it sets up differences so matter of factly, and I do think that's important to convey to kids.

Nice diversity in the illustrations, although it would've been nice for one to be in a wheelchair or have a cast or something. I do think all the kids l
Alyssa Kelley
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-shelf
This realistic fiction book is a wonderful book for children when they first start school. There is not one person who could not relate to something within this book. I think this book would serve as a great read aloud text that would inspire a lot of discussion and sharing amongst our young readers. Everyone would be able to make personal connections to the text. The Class also has a lot of rhythm and rhyming throughout, which teachers can point out to new readers. I personally was drawn to the ...more
Suzanne
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
At this time of year there is always a demand for "back to school" stories. Teachers everywhere all have a favorite that they like to read to their students on that first day of class. Most of them feature what goes on in school and all the mishaps of being unable to find your locker (or cubby), being worried about what the teacher will be like, missing the bus, etc. But Ashburn has put together a different kind of story. All the kids who will come together and form a class as they get out of be ...more
Jeff Huebsch
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book! and it will defiantly be in my classroom and on my shelf, if you can read this to a room full of children and get a lot of grins and giggles then I feel sorry for your reading skills because I do not think anyone with a voice could mess this story up.

I will not ruin this one for anyone wanting to read it but just know that every kid in every class will see themselves and there classmates in this story, and I truly believe that not one would dislike this book or not want
Juliana Lee
Have fun counting the kids on each page and see how these 20 children, with their similarities and differences, all come together to make one class. Find out who gets up before dawn and who is sleeping late, who packs a lunch, who rides the bus, who walks to school, who wears new shoes, who is nervous, and who is not. Count them all. Great story to start a graphing activity in class too.
Linda
Nineteen different children are, yes, different. This story shows them getting ready for their first day in varied ways. Their dress, breakfast, feelings and the ways to get to school all are shown by the individual or the small group, but delightfully celebrating that each differs, and the wonder of it, too. It’s a terrific first day of school book.
Carrie
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Twenty children from twenty homes all starting kindergarten. Some are nervous, others get kisses, some are alike, and all are part of one class in the end. This is a great story about getting ready for the first day of school and has a lot of opportunities to count items in the story.
Niki Marion
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the best back-to-school books this season. Connects students across many different backgrounds, morning rituals, and families. Wonderfully diverse in many ways and encapsulates the variety of routines, emotions, and ways of getting ready to go to school.
Jenn Swanson
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is perfect for kids that are getting ready to start school. My daughter enjoyed this book. Would recommend.
Jennifer Fenn
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great back-to-school picture book that nods to its characters' diverse backgrounds and economic situations without being overwhelming for its intended audience! Cute and fun!
Sydnee Gann
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Follow 20 children on their journey to their first day of school-what did they wear? What did they eat? Did they get new shoes? Did they get new backpacks? Are they looking forward to a new school year? Read to find out!

I love this book- I think it really goes to show just how different and individual everyone is!

I could see myself starting my first day of class with this book; I think it would be cool to have students relate to the kids in the book-which did you act like this morning?
June
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Individuality, morning routines and school requests
Recommended to June by: Shoshana G
Maybe a 3.5; I really liked all the differences and showing the individuality of all the students. Also, has the benefit of showing morning routines.

However, the way the story is written I had no idea that there were 20 children until I read it on the book flap and I don't see anyway to follow one child much less 20 (without a headache) when it seems some are pictured twice in some parts of the story.
Diane
“Four are eager, up since dawn. Three just sit and yawn and yawn. Some are grumpy. Some keep sleeping. They don’t hear the clock beep-beep-ing!”

A great read aloud for the first day of school. Each child in class will probably recognize at least one of the things that the students in the book go through to get ready for school. It will make a great discussion ... finding things in common with other classmates, etc.
Donna Mork
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book about the first day of class and all the various and different kids, some eat the same thing for breakfast, some have new and some use old, some and fast, some are slow but they all come to class.
Laura Salas
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Celebrating in a fun way all the ways we are alike and different as we head off to the first day of school!
Ms Threlkeld
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun rhyming read aloud for the first week of school.
Joan Marie
A fun rhythmic, rhyming text that also has kids counting like... "Five begin to look alive. This one's sure he won't survive. One is tickled. Two look worried. One woke late and now she's hurried!"
Jen
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Very cute. Leaves out some possibilities, but ah well.
Leslie
This would be a fun companion book to SCHOOL'S FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL for a back to school storytime.
Mary
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lively first-day-at-school counting book that captures a variety of humorous morning routines. An entertaining picture book that will help ease any first day jitters.
charlene.librarian
Love this sweet book about going back to school and all the scenarios that happen.
Pat Miller
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite recent picture books.
Chris
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
August heralds a myriad of emotions, as unique and individual as students beginning their journey into the land of the 3 R’s. A group of 20 children is the focus of this adventure in “The Class” a picture book by Boni Ashburn that celebrates the start of school.
The end pages set the stage with clever, colorful illustrations by Kimberly Gee depicting items the kids will encounter as they get “ready-set-go.” There are teddies to leave behind, socks to locate, teeth to brush, a smiley-faced pancake
Christine Turner

Alarm clocks go off and students all over town wake up and get ready for their big day. Some feel eager, others are nervous, and a few are even grumpy! But they all get dressed, eat breakfast, pack backpacks, and make their way to school, where they will meet their new teacher and become a wonderful new class. Boni Ashburn's snappy rhyming text and Kimberly Gee's adorable an
Maggie Mattmiller
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked aspects of this one, but a few things fell flat for me. As an adult, I eventually figured out that the kids were all in the same class, but it all felt a bit random for me. Random numbers of kids doing each thing, feeling each way, etc. Was it researched, and is it a data based representation of the proportions of kids who do each? Or was it random? I didn't love a few parts, like the kids who are sad about not getting a new backpack or new shoes. While I'm sure kids feel that way, and w ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Who Wants a Tortoise?
  • One Family
  • Two at the Zoo
  • Kindergarten Diary
  • Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
  • Oliver and His Alligator
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • Steamboat School
  • Bringing the Outside In
  • Tree of Wonder: The Many Marvelous Lives of a Rainforest Tree
  • There's a Bear on My Chair
  • Princess Truly in I Am Truly
  • Eggs, 1, 2, 3: Who Will The Babies Be?
  • Good Night, Baddies
  • School's First Day of School
  • Most People
  • Hide and Sheep
  • My Friend Maggie
Boni Ashburn is the author of seven picture books, including Hush, Little Dragon and I Had A Favorite Dress. Boni lives in the Upper Peninsula Of Michigan with her four children and too many bookshelves to count.

*Please note: I give 5 stars to books I adore and MUST own, 4 stars to books that will stay with me in some way and that I almost-adore, and 3 stars to books I like. Two stars might be boo