Start by marking “Sidekick” as Want to Read:
Sidekick

Sidekick

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Russ is tired of coming in second to his best friend, Garret. Whether it's in sports, in school, or with girls, he can never get ahead. Something has to change, and when a new girl comes to town he sees his chance. He has to win her over before Garret does, but proving he's not second best won't be easy when Garret is a pro.

Russ will do anything to beat Garret, including u
Published November 10th 2015 by Mda Books

To ask other readers questions about Sidekick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sidekick

Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Actual rating: 4.5

THE PROTAGONIST. THE SIBLING. THE FRIENDSHIPS. THE ROMANCE. All so on point!

Finished overnight and fist pumped right after. Yay for awesome reads!
Rachel
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So. It's not news, but I absolutely loved this book. I totally devoured it. (Yes, pun was absolutely intended.)

Russ has spent his whole life in his best friend, Garret's, shadow. They are the cool kids in school--kings of the lunchroom and all that--but Russ is afraid that'll all go away if his friends find out how much he loves watching anime with his weird little sister and her friends. And cooking. And James Taylor.

At first glance, Russ seems totally superficial. It seems like all his thought
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
When I was approached about taking part in the blog tour and reviewing Sidekick by Natalie Whipple I did not hesitate. I love Natalie's Transparent series, as well as Fish Out of Water.
Garrett and Russ are best friends. Russ feels over shadows by Garrett, who is the most popular person, best football player, and the one who always gets the girls.

Russ hides some of himself from school and his best friend, he enjoys watching anime with his sister and her friends, he loves to cook and from some of
Abbey
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read
My Review:
5/5 stars
Amazing book. I love Natalie Whipples books. She does a fantastic job of packing so much into the little novels. You have a story however their is so much to get out of it.
This book was great. Whipple teaches so many lessons that most teens face in their lifes. Not everybody is perfect so why try to be?

Russ and the crew felt real. I felt like I was another person in the novel watching the story unfold. There were twists making the book so interesting . There was never a p
Jennilyn
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: source-blog-tour
***Also posted on Rurouni Jenni Reads***

Hey, hey, hey! SIDEKICK is a book that might pull you out from a reading slump. It was an easy breezy read for me (you know how I’m really a slow-reader) but it has some pretty deep stuff.

It’s a quite refreshing point of view to read a jock main character. For me, the heart of the book lies in Russ figuring out if he’s being a fake or not. Does changing the person he is depending on who the people around him are warrant as fakery? Does being nice to everyb
Rachel Marie
This review first appears on

Oh man, I loved this one. It was cute, it was fun, it was himarious, it was so real. I think this is one of those books that everyone can find something to relate to.

Russell is tired of being second-best to his best friend, Garrett. So when a new girl comes in to town, he thinks this is his chance. His in comes when he finds out she's also obsessed with anime, although no one can know that he actually watches the stuff with his sister and her friends.

I think Russell
Jessica Brooks
4 stars*

SIDEKICK is the second indie book I've read by Natalie Whipple, and I really enjoyed it! (Thanks to Dianne of Oops I Read A Book Again for including me in the blog tour!) It's not often that you see the male side of the spectrum in regard to sports and high school insecurities, so this was a nice change to say the least. Especially since the assumption that things were a certain way were only there because no one communicated and everyone was afraid to share how they really felt. Because
Cindy
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had the enormous privilege to do an early review for Natalie Whipple's first contemporary novel, FISH OUT OF WATER, last year (and it became one of my favorite reads of 2014!), so when I was approached this autumn and asked if I was interested in reviewing her second contemporary, SIDEKICK, I didn't even have to think twice.

I'll admit: When I was about a third of the way into reading SIDEKICK, I started to panic. Natalie is a good friend, I'd been enlisted to participate in a blog tour promoti
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. Couldn’t put it down. The writing is good, and the pacing is spot on. I read it in one sitting, interrupted only because Russ spent so much time cooking bacon that I needed a snack. Mmmm, bacon.

I totally get Russ. In fact, I think I may have over-identified with him at times. I am the sidekick. My friends all officially dubbed me as such when my best friend went on TV a few years ago, so there’s no doubt. Whatever I think I’m good at, other people are better. I grew up
Danielle Shipley
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One thing I really appreciate about Natalie Whipple books is that I have yet to see her put her protagonists in a vacuum. There’s always a group of friends and/or family around to create an authentic, eclectic social environment. It makes reading the story feel a lot like just hanging out with the gang. And this may well be my favorite Whipple-written gang to date – which is why the possibility of the main character fumbling his relationships beyond all hope of a happy ever after felt like such ...more
Melissa Pope
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading Natalie Whipple's books, but I am particularly liking her YA contemporary novels right now! With 'Fish out of Water' and now 'Sidekick', she is making her own individual quirky mark in the genre.
Throughout reading this story of discovering who you are, and where you fit into the social constructs of high school life (and life in general) I couldn't help but think about a well know Dr Seuss quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
Maren
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Natalie Whipple's books, and Side Kick did not disappoint. It was a fun story about highschool life, and figuring out where you fit in. I absolutely loved the characters, well of course there are some that rightfully hated. The only problem with this book, and most of Whipple's books... they make me hungry! Plan to crave delicious burgers while you enjoy.
Natalie
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It was a quick-read for me, the events were all coming so fast. I enjoyed the story so much, it really teaches a lot of lessons about friendship and being true to yourself. I love it, definitely recommendable!
George Khalil
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say about this really...
Yves Fuentes
Jun 22, 2016
Erika
rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2016
Jun 22, 2017
  • Twelve Steps
  • Secret Catch
  • White is for Virgins
  • Winning Me Over (Unexpected Love, #2)
  • Love Arrives in Pieces
  • The Queen B* Strikes Back (The Queen B*, #2)
  • The Match Maker (The Husband Maker, #2)
  • Solving for Ex
  • A Game Worth Watching (Worth Series, #1)
  • Love, Lies and Lemon Pies
  • Stick in the Mud Meets Spontaneity (Meet Your Match #3)
  • Pwned
  • Double Threats Forever (Double Threat, #4)
  • Where the Rock Splits the Sky
  • Break Me Like a Promise (Once Upon a Crime Family, #2)
  • Drift & Dagger (Salt & Storm, #2)
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • Magic Hands
Natalie Whipple, sadly, does not have any cool mutations like her characters. Unless you count the ability to watch anime and Korean dramas for hours on end. Or her uncanny knack for sushi consumption.

She grew up in the Bay Area and relocated to Utah for high school, which was quite the culture shock for her anime-loving teen self. But the Rocky Mountains eventually won her over, and she stuck ar
More about Natalie Whipple

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)