Start by marking “Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth” as Want to Read:
Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth

Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  268 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This thoughtful and inspiring collection of prayers by Walter Brueggemann emerged from his more than forty years of teaching. Full of reflection, faith, and dialogue, they reveal another side to this gifted author.
Published December 30th 2002 by Fortress Press

To ask other readers questions about Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth

Katrina
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My love affair with 'The Brueg' continues.
Patrick Frownfelter
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, theology
I don't think that many congregants listen much to the prayers of their pastor, nor students to the prayers of their teachers. Perhaps that's because we're saying it with them (The Lord's Prayer, for example) and we've said it so many times, or because they pastor usually says the same similar things every week. To me, the idea of reading another person's prayers is a bit odd, as the practice of prayer in the church today is either a practice in recitation, or just asking God for help with probl ...more
Jay
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: pastors, prayers, congregations, doubters
My favorite book for public prayer- evocative, current, and rich in biblical images.
Matt
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Power. Enlightening. Imaginative. Just the kind of prayers you would expect from Brueggemann. If you are a fan of his work, or if you simply desire material with which to enhance and stir your own prayer life, then this book will repay you well.
Sue Whitt
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Prayers
Luke Hillier
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, poetry
I read this book slowly, using it off and on as a sort of devotional for a year and a half, and am sad this morning to finally complete it, even knowing I'll be revisiting it many times over.

Brueggemann is one of my favorite theologians because 1. you can tell he is genuinely, passionately in love with and in awe of the God he writes about 2. he emphasizes elements of God that are critically important and deeply resonant for me (particularly related to justice, freedom, and resurrection) 3. he
Raicheal
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've returned to this book over and over again in the past several years. It reaches far and deep, drawing on 44 books of the Bible, the liturgical calendar, and the mysteries of interaction with a text. These prayers apply the Old Testament God to 21st-century stalemates, asks the Risen God to cover it, and "deliver us from our bafflement and our many explanations." Brueggemann writes with context and expertise, repurposes terminology, and (I think) holds no thing back.
Daniel Seifert
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brueggemann prays like the Hebrew people he interprets using lively poetic language that conveys the human cyclical evolution of orientation, disorientation and reorientation. He posses a prophetic ethos and spirit that names evil done under the sun while reveling in the hope and promise that comes from Yahweh.
Eric Daryl
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Profound prayers that can be spoken from the heart in every season of life--from the tops of mountains and from underneath the dung-pile. Brueggeman enables, encourages, and exemplifies the life of the church wrestling with God.
Ben Laur
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biblical-studies
I really wanted to like this book; I just didn't.
  • A Little Exercise for Young Theologians
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Springtime, Volume 3
  • The Preaching Life
  • The Challenge of the Disciplined Life: Christian Reflections on Money, Sex, and Power
  • A Diary of Private Prayer
  • Documents of the Christian Church
  • Proverbs of Ashes: Violence, Redemptive Suffering, and the Search For What Saves Us
  • The Creed: What Christians Believe and Why it Matters
  • The Moral Vision of the New Testament: Community, Cross, New Creation: A Contemporary Introduction to New Testament Ethic
  • Unexpected News: Reading the Bible With Third World Eyes
  • Gospel Parallels: A Comparison of the Synoptic Gospels, NRSV
  • Five Smooth Stones for Pastoral Work (The Pastoral series, #1)
  • Introducing the New Testament: Its Literature and Theology
  • Wishful Thinking: A Theological ABC
  • Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition
  • Life and Holiness
  • Interpreting the Pauline Epistles
Walter Brueggemann is William Marcellus McPheeters Professor of Old Testament Emeritus at Columbia Theological Seminary. He is the world's leading interpreter of the Old Testament and is the author of numerous books, including Westminster John Knox Press best sellers such as Genesis and First and Second Samuel in the Interpretation series, An Introduction to the Old Testament: The Canon and Christ ...more
More about Walter Brueggemann...
“Advent Prayer
In our secret yearnings
we wait for your coming,
and in our grinding despair
we doubt that you will.
And in this privileged place
we are surrounded by witnesses who yearn more than do we
and by those who despair more deeply than do we.
Look upon your church and its pastors
in this season of hope
which runs so quickly to fatigue
and in this season of yearning
which becomes so easily quarrelsome.
Give us the grace and the impatience
to wait for your coming to the bottom of our toes,
to the edges of our fingertips.
We do not want our several worlds to end.
Come in your power
and come in your weakness
in any case
and make all things new.
Amen.”