Start by marking “And I Darken” as Want to Read:
And I Darken

And I Darken

(The Conqueror's Saga #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  34,275 ratings  ·  6,924 reviews
This vividly rendered novel reads like HBO’s Game of Thrones . . . if it were set in the Ottoman Empire. Ambitious in scope and intimate in execution, the story’s atmospheric setting is rife with political intrigue, with a deftly plotted narrative driven by fiercely passionate characters. Fans of Victoria Aveyard’s THE RED QUEEN, Kristin Cashore’s GRACELING, and Sabaa Tahi ...more
Published June 28th 2016 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about And I Darken, please sign up.
Brenda I think that this book did a really good job at presenting religion in an unbiased way. That being said, depending on the CHARACTER that is…moreI think that this book did a really good job at presenting religion in an unbiased way. That being said, depending on the CHARACTER that is describing/experiencing the religion, it can be biased in how that character thinks of the religion. But the story itself takes a very unbiased historical view on all of it. It explains what roles the religions play in different situations, but doesn't focus on one being "better" than another.(less)

·  34,275 ratings  ·  6,924 reviews

Emily May
“So the question becomes, Daughter of the Dragon, what will you sacrifice? What will you let be taken away so that you, too, can have power?”

4 1/2 stars. This book is totally fucked up. In the best possible way.

Well, holy shit. Even with the positive reviews rolling in, that was completely unexpected. How do I begin to explain this vicious little nightmare of a book? All I know is: it's different to anything else I've read.

And I Darken is dark, gritty and compelling. It pulled me into its dark
Lola
‘‘The price of living seems to always be death.’’
‘‘And that is why you become a dealer of death. You feed death as many people as you can to keep it full and content so its eye stays off you.’’

And I Darken is no bedtime story. Its complexity makes it hard to get into but also hard to get out of.

I don’t know exactly when it happened, but sometime as I was reading it, I suddenly stopped thinking of it as just another historical fiction/fantasy story and started seeing it in a new light.

Seeing
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars I didn't believe all the high ratings, and now here I am with them.

A good example of why it's good to try authors again, btw. I'd read a couple of the author's earlier books and found them likable if a bit unmemorable, but there was absolutely no indication that one day she'd write a brutal book--or an uncompromising heroine--like this.

Vlad the Impaler re-imagined as an aggressive girl! Fantastic.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This was truly an epic book. There is a twist in this book, and trust me when I say that you will not see it coming.

It has a heroine who flaunts herself as the "anti-princess" and in that sense, the book does not disappoint. Lada - our "female Vlad the Impaler" hooked (impaled?) me from the start. Even as a child in the nursery, she was fierce.
Like her brother, Lada had big eyes, but hers were close-set, with arched bows that made her look perpetually cross. Her hair was a tangled mass, so dark
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
$1.99 on kindle right now! 6-26-17. As far as I know, it's US pricing

Re-Read 2017 I had to read this book again for the new book next week. I love it so freaking much! This time I listened to it on audio from Overdrive (It's now on my audible wishlist) The narrator, Fiona Hardingham did a wonderful job!

It was so nice to be back in Lada's world. She's just so tough but I did feel sorry for her with the love interest but it's extremely complicated. She lets her guard down a little in that area b
Miranda Reads
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description
Rivetingly dark and heartbreakingly human.
the nurse offered her own prayer.
Let her be strong.
Let her be sly.
And let her be ugly.
Much like the nurse's prayer, Lada Dragwlya grew up single-minded, cruel and absolutely ruthless. Completely in contrast to her beautiful younger brother, Radu.
Lada, and Radu, started life almost entirely isolated. They w
C.G. Drews
REREAD: Because when it comes to needing to read a sequel...do I remember the first book? HA. I know nothing, Jon Snow. But this is the kind of book that really grew on me the more I thought about it. Several things still bugged me with my reread, but truuuuly I love this story. <3 It is the finest of historical fiction and the characters have caught my heart.

This news just in: Radu is the most kind and precious and beautiful cinnamon roll of ever and also totally a cunning Slytherin. I call
Nat
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-reads, arc
Ever since I read this particular quote taken from And I Darken, I've been enchanted:

And also that beautiful cover didn't hurt.

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

And
Ever heard of Vlad the Impaler? He had a reputation for cruelty throughout Europe. He took pleasure in torturing and killing his enemies with his most preferred method being impalement. He was also the inspiration for Dracula. Imagine an alternate history with Vlad the Impaler as a girl. This is our story.

And I Darken follows Lada’s life from the very beginning. We start in 1435 Transylvania with Vlad Dracul taking in the fact that his wife has given birth to a girl. Such a disgrace because sh
Sana
its been about three months since I've read this this and despite hating it, I'm still going to read the next book because I want the pain everyone feels reading this series!!! I still hope the next book will be better!!!! the only problem is that I literally remember nothing from this book. it's so forgetful, oops. 🤷🏻♀

----
I want pain ;) and death ;) and feels ;) and all the good things everyone promises ;) otherwise you might find me attending my own funeral ;) because i'll be dead from the dis
Yusra  ✨
here's a message to this book:

Untitled

——
1st Read:

IT WAS SO GOOD I LOVED IT SO MUCH I HAVE NOTHING BUT AMAZING WORDS FOR THIS BOOK. I LOVED LADA, I LOVED SHE WAS UNPREDICTABLE AND I LOVE HOW SHE DEFIED EVERYTHING!!! IT WAS THE BEST HOLY
Lily ☁️
To résumé my experience with this book in seven words: it put me in a reading slump. I really wanted (and expected) to love it, but, oh well.

Here’s a list of all the things I did not do:

Care about the historical context of this book, which, apparently, is also immensely insulting to the people whose history is being “reimagined”—and while I’m not one of them, the reasoning behind their outrage resonates with me all too well.

Found the storyline intriguing. Excepting the first 30% of this book
Ben Alderson
First book of 2017 complete.
Really unique story and i did really enjoy it. Some parts were confusing but the majority was brilliant!

I thought there would be magic involved but it was not, still really good!
Candace
'And I Darken' was the first book that I've ever read by Ms. Kiersten White, but it certainly won't be the last. The first book in 'The Conquerers' series, it managed to completely captivate me. I am both intrigued, enamored, and at times appalled, by these characters and the turbulent world that they occupy.

Lada Dragwlya is an unlikely heroine. She's unattractive, uncouth and at times, downright mean. She's everything her father had hoped for in a son, but got in his daughter. Her only redeemin
jessica
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
in the interest of full transparency, this was not what i was expecting. not in the least. and i think its due to the fact this book is labelled as fantasy, which is misleading because there was no fantasy element to this story at all. its straight up historical fiction. this was about two siblings who befriend mehmed (the conquerer) and experience his early years as the sultan of the ottoman empire.

but the more i think about it, the more i actually enjoyed this? which surprises me because worl
Katerina

A gem of a book.
It was savage and brilliant, a bloody tale of politics laced with tainted relationships, betrayals and desire. For freedom, for power, for human touch. For greatness.

In And I Darken, Kiersten White travels through time to medieval Wallachia, a vassal state of the blooming Ottoman Empire. To the court of Vlad Dracul, the cruel father that
Helen 2.0
"It is the way of the world. You can be the aggressor, you can fight against crusaders on their own land, or you can stay at home and wait for them to come to you. And they would come. They would come with fire, with disease, with swords and blood and death. Weakness is an irresistible lure."
4.5 stars.

Lada made an awesome first impression, not everyone can claim to be a badass right from birth. She wasn't exactly relatable - most of the time I couldn't figure out what her motivations were - bu
Tweebs♥️ (hiatus)
•full review posted now•

I'm in the process of giving my grades up for adoption because I'm unfit to raise them myself.

Is there any possibility that I can tr
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
Dear Kiersten White,

Thank you for restoring my faith in the YA Fantasy genre. I’ve had bad luck with it this year and I really needed someone to show me that the genre wasn’t the problem, and I wasn’t the problem, but instead I was just reading the wrong books.

Thank you for making me feel so much. For filling me up to the brim with emotion. Love, hatred, happiness, despair, frustration, glee, anxiety, passion. I felt it all while reading And I Darken and I can’t remember the last time a book did
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Why, oh why, oh why, OH FUCKING WHY do English-speaking authors insist on using Slavic names, which they obviously keep fucking misusing????? Can anyoone please explain to me in a layman's terms what so chic or risque can there be about using names you don't know how to use? Have the editors gone extinct? Is there some grand conspiracy to keep me properly irritated? Why the blazing fads can they not get into their obviously thicker than average heads that a boy would be called Vladislav, Alexand ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Listen. Listen. I adore this series. I love it in my soul. Buuuuuut this is a great example of a series where book one is a great setup but book two is where the payoff is. Even though I had some issues here, it should be noted that book two, Now I Rise, is one of my all-time favorite books, improving on every one of my issues with this book.. Top five-single-books-ever level. Feel free to drop on over to my review.

I admit that I loved this slightly more while reading it - I think time and medi
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
When I saw the premise for this story..A female anti-hero retelling of Vlad the Impaler..in a sort of Game of Thorns vibe..I was all set to start handing out some stars.
Palm Springs commercial photography

The book starts with Lada (Ladislav-but she will punch you in the face for calling her that) and her brother Radu growing up in Wallachia. Lada wants to impress her father Vlad so that she can prove that even though born female she is a force to be reckoned with. And she is..
Palm Springs commercial photography

Occasionally she informed her tutors when a tortur
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found@The Book Prescription

Her spine was steel. Her heart was armor. Her eyes were fire.

🌟 This book was listed by many as a Fantasy book and not pure Historical fiction. I know that historical fictions don’t work for me and I stopped reading them a long time ago. I have never seen a book in this genre getting this much hype so I thought that it must be special. Nothing was special about it and I don’t think it is a fantasy book at all.

🌟 I DNFed
Chesca
FIVE THOUSAND STARS out of five
Highly-recommended. My new favorite.
A read for The Quarterly Book Club’s Fourth Quarter: Historical Fiction

This was my first time to read a book by this author and I will definitely check out her other works. Her writing is exceptionally exquisite. She was able to rebuild a long-gone world in my head and piqued my curiosi
Ryan
3.5/5 stars

Edit: Looking back on this, I believe I need to edit some things. See, I posted this review when I was new to Goodreads, so I thought giving a book three stars would be considered "rude" (which I find kind of amusing now, considering some of my more...rant-y reviews). Thankfully, now I know that's not the case. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoyed this book. It did drag on a bit in some parts, and I may or may not have skimmed a few sections when things got boring, but I do love
Kiki
Natalie Monroe
"She would never toss aside her country the way her father had. She would protect it.

A small sob threatened to break free. What could she do? She had no power.

Yet, she vowed. She had no power
yet."

Can I get a high five for reached expectations? Bring it in, come on.

And I Darken is YA at its finest. There were times when I questioned if it should be classified as NA/Adult because the themes it deals with and the characters' thought processes get pretty dark. And then there's the history/world
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 And I Darken ★★★★★
#2 Now I Rise ★★★★★
#3 Bright We Burn ★★★☆☆

Update 12.28.17 → Don't mind me, just rewrote my entire review because rereading and dwelling on this book has changed my original opinion so drastically that it deserved better. 😍

"A dragon did not crawl on its belly in front of its enemies, begging for their help. A dragon did not vow to rid the world of infidels, and then invite them into its home. A dragon did not flee its land in the middle of the night like a criminal.

A dragon
may ➹
it’s officially been 3 months since I finished this and I’m still wondering what there is to love about this book

// buddy read with raiasaons (please don’t blame me for the horrid spelling of raisins I’m actually very smart)
lucie
Feb 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, in-english
I have never, never been so disappointed in my life, not even when I have found out that my gym crush is already married. I was so close to DNF it but I kept reading because I wanted to at least like it but it didn't happen.

Now just let me find a dark corner where I can cry over my disappointment.

• Tsarina
  • The Passion of Dolssa
  • Prince of Shadows
  • Ivory and Bone (Ivory and Bone, #1)
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • Courting Darkness (Courting Darkness Duology, #1)
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
  • Blood for Blood (Wolf By Wolf, #2)
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • Crushed (Soul Eaters, #2)
  • Front Lines (Front Lines, #1)
  • The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2)
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • Outrun the Moon
  • The Forbidden Orchid
  • The Bird and the Blade
  • Blood and Sand (Blood and Sand, #1)
  • Prairie Fire (The Story of Owen, #2)
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.

The Conqueror's Saga (3 books)
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga, #2)
  • Bright We Burn (The Conqueror's Saga, #3)
“On our wedding night," she said, "I will cut out your tongue and swallow it. Then both tongues that spoke our marriage vows will belong to me, and I will be wed only to myself. You will most likely choke to death on your own blood, which will be unfortunate, but I will be both husband and wife and therefore not a widow to be pitied.” 303 likes
“Her spine was steel. Her heart was armor. Her eyes were fire.” 140 likes