Start by marking “Sophie's Squash Go to School” as Want to Read:
Sophie's Squash Go to School

Sophie's Squash Go to School

(Sophie's Squash)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  337 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
This charming sequel to the beloved Sophie’s Squash is the perfect antidote to the back-to-school jitters. Sophie goes to school for the first time and has no interest in making friends that aren’t squash. Here’s a gently humorous read-aloud that proves that making friends, just like growing squash, takes time.

On Sophie’s first day of school, nobody appreciates her two
Published June 28th 2016 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Sophie's Squash Go to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sophie's Squash Go to School

Chance Lee
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
It took me longer than I'd like to admit to realize that "squash" is plural. "Squash Go to School" sounds so weird to me because I thought it was just one even though there are clearly two on the cover.

Cute book about making friends at a young age, but not about respecting personal space. It's a learning process.

Sara Grochowski
How awesome is it that there's a sequel to Sophie's Squash? Very, very awesome! I love Sophie's big personality and am happy to see her character further developed in this new book!
Tasha
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a wonderful sequel to one of my favorite recent picture books, Sophie’s Squash. Sophie is heading to school for the first time, bringing her best friends, her squash Bonnie and Baxter, with her. She has no interest in making new friends, because after all she already has her squash. But one kid, Steven Green, just won’t leave her alone. He sits near her, plays near her and even breathes on her. Steven wants to be friends but Sophie just won’t let him. Then as Sophie realizes that her squ ...more
Heather
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There are some sweet parts to this picture book sequel about the irrepressible Sophie and her squash friends. I'm always a fan of bold young girls who march to the beat of their own drum. I really liked the illustrations and the obviously diverse classroom. But I was troubled by the adults' acceptance/encouragement of Steven's initial attempts to be Sophie's friend (i.e. by invading her personal space). I felt much better about the story when Steven backed off and allowed Sophie the time and spa ...more
Emily
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE WORLD'S MOST PERFECT PICTURE BOOK. I LAUGHED, I CRIED, I LAUGH-CRIED. SOPHIE IS THE HERO OF A GENERATION. BONNIE AND BAXTER, NEVER FORGET. GOD BLESS STEVEN GREEN.
Leslie
A fun follow-up to SOPHIE'S SQUASH, about starting school and making friends.
Jami
Oct 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trash
This is a horrible book for children. In it a little boy stalks Sophie and does creepy behavior that in an adult would get him labeled as a potential rapist and yet is seen as "adorable." It tells kids that if you force yourself on someone you can be their friends. Sophie's parents should've done the right thing and said to the boy's parents, "Teach your son how to stay out of girls' personal space." This is on par with that idiotic belief that if a boy hits a girl it's cause he's got a crush on ...more
Ms. Garr
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kindergarten and up; picture book about Sophie and he baby squash "friends" she carries with her to school each day. Sophie has no interest in human companionship, especially one little boy who tries doggedly to befriend her (even by telling her facts about squash). She is shy and stubborn, and sometimes not very nice to her classmates. As the season changes and her squash start to decay, Sophie has to come to her own conclusions about her behavior in school. I really liked how Sophie needs time ...more
Cheryl
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A good thing: Sophie is a real little girl, lively, opinionated, vulnerable, fussy....
A not so good thing: Sophie is a real little girl, often unlikable...

There's a happy ending here, but imo it took far too long to get there. First book much better. Will give third a try if one comes.
Elaine
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing sequel!
Bethe
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Not quite as charming as the original story, but a good friendship story nonetheless. I love the last line of the book!
Christy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing

On Sophie’s first day of school, nobody appreciates her two best friends, Bonnie and Baxter, baby squash that she grew in her garden. Even worse, one classmate, Steven Green, won’t leave
Kimberly
Sophie is a charming little oddball, prickly but still kind at heart. I liked the story but I have to say I would have found Steven's behavior a little off-putting as well. I would not go to the extremes that some reviewers have and say that he exhibits stalker behavior, but I do think he needs an adult to have a chat with him about respecting personal space. This is a pretty common thing to address among young children of both sexes though, so definitely not worth labeling him as a creep or a s ...more
Shanna
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very cute book about a girl who, like many other people, has trouble making friends. School can be hard for kids like Sophie who maybe have big imaginations, but have trouble talking to others or interacting with others. When Sophie brings her squash to school, she only wants to play with them. There is a persistent boy who likes her and wants to be her friend, but she won't have it. She had Bonnie and Baxter. Will she ever find a human friend as good as her squash? Read this endearing tale to ...more
Veronica
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I liked this one but P got so upset by the way Sophie treated the little boy at school who was trying to be friends with her that she made me promise to take it back to the library right away and didn't even want to finish it. I have no clue what triggered this strong reaction but I thought it was a good book and we enjoyed the first of this series together.
Anna Redding
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a back-to-school must. Its gentle message is such a welcome addition to our fall routine... sometimes great friendships are grown. Just a great reminder that you don't always walk through the door of your new classroom and instantly hit it off with your new classmates. These things can take time, require a little care. I LOVE this book and so do my boys!
Kelly Carey
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a sequel to Sophie's Squash that focused on the life cycle of a squash through the four seasons. This second book focuses more on making friends at school; however, a connection is made between growing plants and making friends.
Tirzah
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I was happy to discover a sequel to Sophie's Squash. It is not as good as the first one, but it is still a good story covering friendship. Sophie was a little bratty for my liking, although she comes around in the end. If you liked the first one, I would recommend reading this one.
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

The author again captured a child's personality perfectly with Sophie and her Squash.
Julie Fortenberry
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I love Anne Wilsdorf.
Molly
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, juv, 4storytime
Read this at the SWON Picture Book Read-In.

This book is about working on making friends and sharing.
Ed
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice sequel to the original. Not quite as great as the first, but some nice lessons for young children about the circle of life and friendship.
Angie Quantrell
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Sophie part 2. Love this story about making friends AND Sophie's twin squash babies. Too cute.
Maria Marshall
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
Wonderful sequel
Meg
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love the down to earth themes of loss, saying goodbye, nature and friends.
Miss.Amanda.Reading
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful book about friendship. Having friends that you are fiercely loyal too yet still willing to make new ones.
Margie
They are very easy to spot if for no other reason than they are usually smaller than the rest of the students. They and their caregivers who walk with them are filled with a mixture of excitement and nervousness on the first day of kindergarten. For many of these little guys and gals this is the first time they have been away from home for an entire day in a school setting with other students older than they are.

For some of them with sisters and brothers who are in higher grades, the experience
Chris
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Looking like a modern-day Pippi Longstocking, a pint-sized cutie with a peck-sized problem is back in “Sophie’s Squash Go to School,” by Pat Zietlow Miller, a book about friendship.
In her previous adventure, Sophie got attached to a squash, this time around she has a pair of veggies she babies and is determined to take to school. She needs her yellow buddies because she sure as heck isn’t going to make any new friends, so she tells her mom and dad.
Initially school doesn’t live up to her expect
Stephanie Croaning
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, picture-books
by Pat Zietlow Miller; illustrated by Anne Wilsdorf
Schwartz & Wade Books, 2016.
ISBN 978-0-553-50944-1.
Picture book, fiction, friendship
Interest level: PreK-grade 2
Reading level: 2.9
4 out of 5 stars

This is a sequel to the wonderful Sophie's Squash. It is not imperative that you read the original Sophie story, but it does provide some background that gives this story a little more depth.

It is time for Sophie to go to school, so she takes her two friends, Bonnie and Baxter, with her. While som
Clare Rossetter
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Sophie and her Squash and so did my students. I can't wait to share this next adventure with them. The text is about developing friendship and told using the the simple setting of school, where many young children begin making friends outside of the family circle. Sophie is loyal to her squash friends and takes with her and refuses to let anyone else become a friend. When winter comes and she must plant them she is sad at not being able to be with her friends till spring. The pictures are ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Beatrix Potter and the Unfortunate Tale of a Borrowed Guinea Pig
  • My New Mom & Me
  • Monkey: Not Ready for Kindergarten
  • Where's Mommy?
  • Duck & Goose Go to the Beach
  • Bear Is Not Tired
  • Two Mice
  • Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome)
  • Dream Dog
  • Night Animals
  • Finding Wild
  • Finding Spring
  • There's No Such Thing as Little
Pat Zietlow Miller knew she wanted to be a writer ever since her seventh-grade English teacher read her paper about square-dancing skirts out loud in class and said: “This is the first time anything a student has written has given me chills.” (Thanks, Mrs. Mueller! You rock!)

Pat started out as a newspaper reporter and wrote about everything from dartball and deer-hunting to diets and decoupage. Th

Sophie's Squash (2 books)
  • Sophie's Squash