Start by marking “Deception Island (The Legionnaires #1)” as Want to Read:
Deception Island (The Legionnaires #1)

Deception Island

(The Legionnaires #1)

A stolen boy

A haunted soldier

A cornered con woman…

Rafe Angelito thought he was done with the demons from his past—until his son is kidnapped. Blackmailed into abducting an American heiress, the legionnaire soon finds himself trapped in paradise with a fiery, daring beauty who's nothing he expects…and everything he desires. But when he uncovers her own dark secret, Rafe
Published May 31st 2016 by HQN Books

To ask other readers questions about Deception Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deception Island

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

Deception Island pinged my radar because it had the trifecta of summery goodtimes – an island (duh), a fall-for-my-captor storyline, and of course . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Good thing the plot delivered because if I had been reading only for the humpty dance????

Ouch my blueballs. Yep, this one only had ONE SEX, but it made up for it with plenty of stabby action instead.

The basics are that Holly recently was released from prison and due to bein
Jill
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it

Rafe Angelito's young son has been kidnapped by a group of mercenaries. To get him back safely, Rafe is blackmailed into kidnapping an American senator's daughter for $20M ransom. But he doesn't expect the socialite he's kidnapped to be this scrappy or level-headed. And there's good reason for that, since Holly Ryan is not the senator's daughter.

Fresh out of a six-year stint in prison, Holly has agreed to pose as Laura Hyland, the senator's daughter doing a solo circumnavigation. Despit
Kathleen
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Release Date : May 31st 2016

Story Rating ~ 5 STARS!
Hero Rating ~ 5 STARS!
Heroine Rating ~ 5 STARS!
Heat Level ~ 3 Stars
Action Rating ~ 5 STARS!
Ending ~ 5 STARS!
Overall Rating ~ 5, Two Wounded Souls Stars!

I was in the mood for an actioned packed read and boy did I ever get it! This book was exactly what I was looking for and then some.

I was quickly pulled into this story, the action started immediately. I have to tell you, I love a story when the heroine is feisty and does a little ass kicking. H
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
I love when an author gives us a strong female lead. This chick is a bad-ass and is matched with a sweet bad-ass of a handsome devil who happens to have a not only a conscience, but a big secret. Ahhh, but our darling bad-ass chick has a secret too!

The story is exciting, fast paced, intriguing with amazing development in each part of the story. There was never a dull moment with plenty of action and suspense to keep the pages turning. The author also brings a lot of tough issues to the table suc
Julie
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
My review for "Deception Island" by Brynn Kelly, will be featured at Romancing the Book Blog on May 26, 2016.
Check it out by clicking on this link:

Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
An action packed novel from the opening, Deception Island by Brynn Kelly, combines suspense and romance together. This is the story of Holly, a professional con artist, who accepts an assignment from a prominent senator, to pose as his daughter while embarking on a sailing trip. Rafe is the leading man in Deception Island, on a mission to save his son from kidnappers but he is forced to kidnap the senator’s daughter in exchange for his son’s life. When Holly and Rafe meet, complications arise, l ...more
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

Holly is fresh out of prison after serving a six year sentence, when a senator running for President of the United States proposes her a deal to pose as his daughter. The money is life changing and so she decides to set sail but if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Rafe had a brutal childhood as one of "The Lost Boys" and now as a Fr
Natalie The Biblioholic
An ARC was generously provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For a debut novel, Brynn Kelly hit this out the park. I was captivated from the first page. The first scene sets you up to have a great action-packed, thrilling, heart racing, amazing time!

The entire book was go go go and there was never a dull moment. Wonderful job with the pacing here.

As for character development, I'm not sure if it would even be possible to know these characters better than I do right now. Althoug
-ya
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arc
3.5-stars
The blurb pretty much tells what’s in the storyline. The novel has a great start, stays a bit dull in the middle, but still pulls off a win in the end. Here’s what works for me:

~The setup is fresh.
~Rafe is not a manwhore.
~Holly is not TSTL.
~An exploration of human trafficking, child soldier and slavery add depth to the characters and make this story steer clear of any cheesy stuff that I often find in a typical RS book.
~The action-packed scenes are very well-written.

Miss:
~There is a l
☆.。.:*・°☆Love2Read♡HEAs☆.。.:*・°☆ {Anne}
Rated 4.8 Stars

Simply amazing.

You gotta read it to see for yourself.

HATE

HAPPINESS

HEA

READ IT PEOPLE!
Carol
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I really liked this book, but I felt it lagged a bit in the thrilling aspect. The really liked the writing, but I did feel like the characters fell flat at the ending of the book. The setting was exquisite, and I wish we would've spent a bit more of time in the island.

More of my thoughts will be coming soon in a video review.
Steph
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
WOW WOW WOW! There are only a few books I've read over the years that have affected me as much as DECEPTION ISLAND. This is a MUST READ for everyone, not just fans of romantic suspense.

When The Lost Boys kidnap Rafe Angelito's son, his fury and fear know no bounds. In exchange for his son, the former Lost Boy must kidnap Laura Hyland, daughter of a US Senator, for them. Holly Ryan made a bargain with Laura's father after she got out of prison--pose as socialite Laura as she sailed around the wo
Jay G
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I received this book from the publisher as part of a booktube tour in exchange for my honest review*

VIDEO REVIEW: https://youtu.be/6OeiymdeeQc

When a group of soldier who call themselves The Lost Boys kidnap Rafe Angelito's 9 year old son, Theo, he is beyond furious. In order to get him back safely, Rafe is blackmailed into kidnapping Laura Hyland, an American Senator's daughter. Ex-con Holly Ryan made a deal with the Senator to work for him and his daughter once her 6 year prison sentence was c
Bambi Unbridled
Sadly this book didn't work out for me. But I may just be hitting a reading slump, so take my review with a grain of salt. I will lay out what worked and what didn't... and the things that didn't work for me might be what you like. Goodness knows I am not the end-all be-all of reviewers, and there are many that loved this book on Goodreads. I will commend Brynn Kelly on this debut novel at least, for I know it was no easy feat. While the execution didn't work for me, she has put together a great ...more
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Review
Holly is just out of prison when she gets her real ticket to freedom playing body double for a well-known politicians daughter while on a yacht traveling the seas. Things get complicated when she is abducted. Rafe's son is kidnapped and the only way to get him back is to do a little kidnapping of his own. He is tasked with abducting a well known American politician's daughter. Unfortunately for him, he gets Holly the imposter and not the real thing. As the two spend time together on a re
Books and Spoons
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Two lost souls, fighting for a chance to survive, in the midst of fast paced, brutal action and heart-stopping suspense.
I am still gasping for a breath. What an amazing suspense story, filled with gruesome, cruel action, close combat, kidnappings, human trafficking, destinies that make you want to cry out loud, with the heartbreaking doom. The twist in the plot kept coming, the events escalating, the mistakes made by characters having disastrous consequences.
Everything in the story is moving fa
Kari Lemor
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Buckle up for one heck of a ride with debut author, Brynn Kelly's Deception Island. This story had it all. Action, adventure, thrills, twists and turns, a haunted hero and a tough as nails heroine. I loved how this author jumped right into the action and it rarely slowed down. Just long enough at times to have a bit of sexual chemistry between the main characters. The wit and traded barbs between these two was entertaining and hot as anything. The heat between them was electric. Although how she ...more
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense-romance
Deception Island by Brynn Kelly
HQN Books
Format: Hardcover, 336 pages
Release Date: May 31, 2016
Rate: 4.5 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher for providing me with a copy of Deception Island at BEA in my blogger bag. This has in no way affected my review and was given for an honest review.

I really enjoyed Deception Island it has Action, Romance, and Suspense, all the things you could want from a nail biting read!!! The cover alone had me excited for this book. The action starts from the first
CLM
May 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Fast paced romantic suspense - a good beach read. Here is a link to my review:

SuperWendy
Heather
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deception Island is a book that had me glued to the pages as I followed the thrilling story of a kidnapper and his victim. All isn’t what it seems from the get go with these characters, and the tension is high from the start. This one was a page turner that I read in one day on a flight to Hawaii! While this story isn’t light and fluffy romance, it’s a thrilling, dark and intense, often dangerous glimpse at survival at all costs.

Holly Ryan is sailing around the world on an expensive yacht, docum
Samantha
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2016, for-review
2.5 out of 5 stars
*I was given this book by the publisher through BookTube Tours in exchange for an honest review*
Video review: https://youtu.be/6yYI553vswg
Win a copy of Deception Island: http://bit.ly/1WAiaam

Deception Island follows Rafe Angelito, a soldier whose son has been kidnapped. In order to save his son he must kidnap the Senator's daughter, Laura Hyland. After successfully kidnapping her, he takes her to a deserted island and that's where the story starts. However, who he thinks is Lau
Blagica
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Splendid debut novel by Brynn Kelly. Before I get into how much I loved this book I would like to thank. NetGalley and the author and publisher for my copy for an honest review.
WOW Amazing read. I am a big fan of suspenseful romance novels and this one does not disappoint at all. Rafe and Holly are the hero and the heroine in this story and I love them. Both damaged souls with a dark past that brings them together. The plot of the story is different than most might be use to but its really a he
Debbie
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating 4.5 Stars
Kelly’s debut is an impressive emotionally intense, pulse-pounding page-turner. Set in a stunning array of exotic locales her matter of fact, school of hard knocks dialogue is the perfect choice to bring readers her timely tale of sea pirates and human trafficking. Her characters run the gamut from innocent to irredeemable including her complicated and damaged stars. The climactic finish, the sexy French phrases and her couple’s courage make this an unforgettable premier.

T
Kari
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, for-review, kindle
Deception Island promised to be an action packed romantic suspense. I was looking forward to reading this one because I was in the mood for some great action. In the end it was just OK for me. Holly is posing as a body double on a yacht that has been at sea for months. She is mistakenly kidnapped by Rafe because he thinks she is the debutante she has been playing for months. He son has been taken hostage and his only recourse is to give in to blackmail and kidnap Holly.

I thought the book opened
Michele
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

What. A. Ride. Deception Island held me in its clutches from the very start. From the ambitious storyline to the well-crafted characters, this debut novel speaks of a promising future in fiction for author Brynn Kelly.

“This. It kind of works, right? We work, somehow.”
He nodded, an unfamiliar feeling drying his throat. “I don’t want to hurt you. And I would, eventually. Two wounded souls will only wound each other deeper.”

Deception Island was a truly gripping tale where
Jenny Vee ~The Review Loft~
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, ebook, favorites, reviewed

Deception Island is a wild ride! If you like a lot of suspense with a side of romance, this is for you.

This story is packed with action and suspense. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time constantly trying to figure out what was going to happen next. I’m usually pretty good and predicting outcomes and the paths the characters take to get there but Deception Island had me second-guessing myself throughout. There was a lot of butt-kicking and Holly, the female lead, has some seriou
Barbara Leuthe
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the theme of the lost boys,Seeing what made Rafe tick was a great journey,Gabriels story was so sad I wanted him to change and be more human.Holly and rafe made such a good couple and I was so happy they ended up together but what a journey to get there.I received this book free as part of goodreads giveaways.I will look for more work by this author.
Judy
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wow, authors-to-watch
Incredible debut novel! Bryan Kelly's thriller bursts with action-packed adventure. The characters are well-developed and larger than life. The tension between Rafer and Holly sizzles. I love finding a new author to follow.

I received an ARC from the publisher through NetGalley.
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
3.5/5
review to come!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Flash Fire (Civilian Personnel Recovery Unit #2)
  • Wild Man's Curse
  • Cowboy's Redemption (The Montana Cahills, #4)
  • Bullet Proof (B-Squad, #0.5; The MacKenzie Family, #10.3)
  • Dangerous Deception
  • Catalyst (Flashpoint #2)
  • Countdown (Cassidy & Spenser #5)
  • Swamp Monster Massacre
  • Now You See Him...
  • The Protector (Sons of Texas, #2)
  • Vidalia ('Not Quite', #1)
  • Going Dark (The Lost Platoon, #1)
  • Under the Wire (Bad Boys Undercover, #4)
  • X-Ops Exposed (X-Ops #8)
  • Wild Montana
  • Once Upon a Darkness (Company, #1)
  • The Orphan Uprising (The Orphan Trilogy, #3)
As a journalist, Brynn Kelly once spent her days chasing stranger-than-fiction news reports. Now she spends them writing larger-than-life novels, in a happy bubble of fiendish plots and delicious words.

She's a RITA® winner and an RT Book Reviews Reviewer's Choice Awards nominee.

She has a journalism degree, and has won several other prestigious writing and journalism awards, including the Valerie

The Legionnaires (3 books)
  • Edge of Truth (The Legionnaires #2)
  • A Risk Worth Taking (Legionnaires #3)
“I think I've proved that I'm not to be trusted," he said.
"Then why do I feel safer now that I have in my entire life?"
"Because you're just as screwed up as me.”
3 likes
“I'll shower, then we can go. I smell like a zombie."

Hell, if the undead looked like that, bring on the zombie apocalypse.”
0 likes