Start by marking “Joy on Demand: The Art of Discovering the Happiness Within” as Want to Read:
Joy on Demand: The Art of Discovering the Happiness Within

Joy on Demand: The Art of Discovering the Happiness Within

A long-awaited follow-up to the New York Times bestselling Search Inside Yourself shows us how to cultivate joy within the context of our fast-paced lives and explains why it is critical to creativity, innovation, confidence, and ultimately success in every arena.

In Joy on Demand, Meng shows that you don’t need to meditate for hours, days, months or years to achieve lastin
Published May 31st 2016 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Joy on Demand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joy on Demand

Start your review of Joy on Demand: The Art of Discovering the Happiness Within
Rubina
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Tan's earlier book, Search Inside Yourself, and so was excited to hear that he had released a new book. To me, Joy on Demand is even better. Maybe it's because as a novice at mediation, Joy on Demand is a wonderful guide on how to access joy from within by training to ease (claiming the mind), incline (learning to be mindful of joy in yourself, your life and the world) and uplift (cultivating loving kindness, compassion and altruistic joy) the mind. Applying these skills can also teach ...more
Allie
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Books like this are really hard for me to read. If I would've been reading the physical copy, I can all but guarantee I wouldn't have finished it. I think I get into this 'betterment of Allie' attitude, buy/download a book, and then after a few chapters I start talking myself out of it. Fortunately, I listened to parts of this with my 10 year old son, and he wanted to hear more. Good thing!

It's obvious that the author has a completely different mind path than I do, which is good and bad. I real
Julia
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
This book was not giving me much joy. I tried the ebook and the audiobook but neither version was really doing it for me... too much detail, not a great choice of narrator, it felt like the whole thing was at least 40% filler which could have been and should have been edited out. Good suggestions for meditation, but geez were they buried deep in the clutter.
Leena S N
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great book on how to calm your mind and bring in compassion through meditation. Lot of good ideas on how to practice "letting go" ...more
May Ling
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Summary: A great book on meditation that may work really well for those that are less interested in mind calming and more interested in Joy. I love that he speaks to the idea that meditation is difficult and why. This is often misunderstood.

To celebrate my three months of meditation and because I needed a break and a shorter read, I chose this one today for 100-day challenge. It is more in line with the values I have about the craft and what I think is often confused.

A lot of people think if you
Connie Feng
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Cool concept that I'd like to learn, but the author spent too much of the book trying to convince us that joy on demand is possible and giving examples of people that have achieved it, and not enough on how to actually do it! ...more
Megan Dittrich-Reed
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been redoubling my efforts to manage my anxiety through more natural means as the amount of anti-anxiety meds I was on had me feeling a bit flat and drugged-out. One of the methods I employ for anxiety control is meditation, but I sometimes have trouble finding resources that aren't a bit out there and New Age-y for my taste, or tied to a particular religious tradition. This book was lovely, because although Chade-Meng Tan came to meditation through Buddhism, he takes a very accessible, hum ...more
Curiosbag
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
2rd book by Meng, one of my fav author about meditation. Meng is one of those early Google engineers and NYT bestselling author. He has an interesting way of putting an abstract subject like mediation, mindfulness, emotional intelligence and compassion, and turn them into a practical and measurable practices, and also in a funny way! This book is a step by step on cultivating joy and meditation!
Paul Schmidt
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Summary:
After a year and two months of fairly consistent practice (3.7k minutes of practice on the Waling Up app, 61 hours), I finally read/listened to a book on meditation.
The greatest impression from this book was simply that meditation is deep and vast, and there are plenty of ways to grow in the practice. As a practical takeaway, I’ll use the relaxation versus focus/energy.

Major Highlights:
The equivalent of bicep curls to fitness is meditation to happiness.
Wealth is a personality multipli
Marta
To truly be finished with the book, I would have had to integrate his learning into my life and I have failed at that so far. However, this is a great introduction into meditation- very encouraging, interesting, personal and fun.
Marie
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most “approachable” books on meditation. Chade Meng Tan has a talent for making meditation doable for even the busiest and most overwhelmed of us. Enjoyable both in book as well as audio version. If you have time for just one book, make it this one.
Ariane
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most impactful book I've read in a long time. A way to start meditating with mindful breaths and attending to joy. I plan on starting it again very soon. ...more
Winnie Lim
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with a biased mindset: thinking I wouldn't get much out of it since I already knew enough about meditation, and I didn't like how the title sounded. But I was still curious to see how the author approached it. It turned out I enjoyed reading it a lot. Somehow he's able to take something that can be very abstract and use plain language to explain it, with humour to drive home his points. I really appreciated the additional layer of storytelling, research and anecdotes to what I a ...more
Karoliina Tiuraniemi
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a book! I am thoroughly inspired. I feel that I finally understand many reasons behind some of the standard meditation practices I already knew (but always more or less resisted). The easy examples and informal practices were really good and helpful, my only regret is that since I wanted to read this as a book, I didn’t pause to do the formal practices as well. I loved the witty humor and the funny illustrations, they really appealed to my engineer side by keeping the book very much down-to ...more
Joan
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful to me since I often get stressed out. It teaches you how to change your state by your thoughts and breathing. Author taught classes at Google. Visited zen buddhists, etc. to learn conditions of inner peace and compassion. He has a good TED talk, too.
Damini Singal
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading this book. As mentioned in all its reviews, it is a really good starting point for someone who is exploring the art of meditation. I found it especially useful, as I have been trying to meditate everyday for the last two months. The examples that Meng presents are easy to understand and so are his formal practice sessions.
I also think as our practice evolves, this book can offer us new insights each time.
Andreea
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-improvment
Joy is a highly trainable skill. One happy moment at the time.
Diane
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I had a bit of a virus or if this book was just full of highly successful relaxing visualizations and meditations because I fell asleep several times over the course of reading this book. That said, I got a lot out of it and I totally understood the Dalai Lama's last tweet on Twitter. Hi five Lama. ...more
Nachiketas Ramanujam
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book as always. Good follow up to the previous one. Slight repetitive but a good refresher none the elss.
Hilary
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I appreciated the humour and concrete mindfulness techniques. I would recommend this to people who are interested in mindfulness and cultivating more joy in both their lives and the world.
Maria
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
20181216 ◊ Book was just so-so; narration was awful. The narrator went with a falsely chirpy reading style which made the material come across as cartoonish and ineffectual. I think they were going for upbeat, but it came across as disingenuous.
Mike Lloyd
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my desert island book. If you seek happiness this is THE book to read. I have been reading for 10 days and by practicing the techniques I am significantly and measurably happier. The principals are easy to grasp and they get straight to the core of changing how you view yourself, the world and other people. Bottom line: You can become dramatically happier if you "Continuously and Deliberately Practice Mastery of Thought" (my catch phrase). If there were a Jedi Mind Training Manual for Ma ...more
Richard
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I stumbled on this book through the Shelf Awareness newsletter, and from the write up it looked like something that would interest me and I was not disappointed. This is a great book, part guide, part memoir of Meng's journey and part high-level review of both the origins and the scientific evidence around the practice. Meng's journey is an interesting one, and he is now in the happy position where he counts some of the world's foremost practitioners as friends and teachers.

However, he delivers
Nick Imrie
Chade-Meng Tan seems like a really lovely guy. I just really wanna give him a cuddle! So this book has already succeeded to some extent; it made me happier just to think that there are such sweet people in the world.

OK, it also has some useful tips on how you can use meditation to feel better. Meng learnt meditation from Buddhists, but this is a real engineers book. He's divorced his techniques from the religious origin, and pared them down to be highly efficient. Maximum results for minimum eff
Adam Moskowitz
JOY! This book was a gamechanger. I read it in the months leading up to my wedding, a very stressful time in life, but this book constantly reminded me to rise above the stresses and not only find those moments of joy in every day life, but really truly appreciate. One of the best examples from the book, is to notice when you are NOT sick, or NOT feeling body aches. We often focus on the negative, but there's so much joy in daily life that we typically pass up just because we allow it to pass by ...more
Cara Bradley
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this delightful read on meditation and why we should do it. I laughed out loud and paused more than a few times to reflect and reread passages. What a refreshing perspective on the powerfully transformative practices of mindfulness, loving kindness and compassion.
Barnabas
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
I like meditation related books written by lay people, especially if a person is an engineer.
This book was about meditation and the joy it can add to your life, pretty much instantly.
Not much surprise there, I already read books like that (Altered Traits, Headspace, 10% Happier etc.)

I know the benefits of meditation, and probably I already reached the Joy Point, when this process can become self sustaining.
In order to achieve good progress the book details 3 parts:
- Easing into Joy,
- Incline th
George
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
TLDR version: Interesting book with meditation practices, however if you're new to this and quite skeptical on the topic of meditation in general, I'd suggest starting with the Waking Up app and its main course. After that you'd be able to better comprehend this book.

Longer version now:

This book took a long time to finish. Not because it's long; compared to my regular books this is quite short. The problem was my aversion to the topic and the claim that one can "summon happiness" at will. That'
Josh
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wordy in a good way. Many concepts are conveyed by anecdote. The way I understood much of the material is through the lens of what happens in a single-breath meditation (to which I was exposed by way of podcast interview). Although the psychology term 'flow' does not appear (or, at least, stand out to me) in the book, I sense much overlap.

I, too, felt the lack of practical advice per Connie's review. Specific things to try (labelled as formal or informal practices) were present, and they gave sp
Adrielle Stapleton
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've now read two books that give an overview and introduction to meditation, and this one is probably the one I'd give to a more skeptical friend. It focuses on strategies for getting immediate results and cites science research, while setting realistic expectations for the commitment it takes to experience life changing progress. I found the author's self-deprecating stories of personal experiences learning to meditate reassuring. Still, I found it less appealing than Making Your Mind an Ally ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Power Paradox: How We Gain and Lose Influence
  • How to Own Your Own Mind
  • Go-Givers Sell More
  • Brackish Waters
  • Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don't Know
  • The Terror of History: Mystics, Heretics, and Witches in the Western Tradition
  • Erasing Institutional Bias: How to Create Systemic Change for Organizational Inclusion
  • Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha
  • How to Train Your Mind: Exploring the Productivity Benefits of Meditation
  • Single On Purpose: Redefine Everything. Find Yourself First.
  • The Art of Impossible: A Peak Performance Primer
  • Beginner's Mind
  • Love Hurts: Buddhist Advice for the Heartbroken
  • Every Thing Is Sacred: 40 Practices and Reflections on the Universal Christ
  • The Attributes: 25 Hidden Drivers of Optimal Performance
  • Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart: A Buddhist Perspective on Wholeness
  • Master Your Emotions: A Practical Guide to Overcome Negativity and Better Manage Your Feelings
Chade-Meng Tan (Meng) is Google's Jolly Good Fellow (which nobody can deny). Meng was one of Google's earliest engineers. Among many other things, he helped build Google's first mobile search service, and headed the team that kept a vigilant eye on Google's search quality. His current job description is, "Enlighten minds, open hearts, create world peace".

Outside of Google, Meng is the Founder and

News & Interviews

“The greatest freedom in life is to be aware of the moments that you are free from pain” 5 likes
“The real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don’t even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child—our own two eyes. All is a miracle.” 3 likes