Start by marking “More Joel on Software: Further Thoughts on Diverse and Occasionally Related Matters That Will Prove of Interest to Software Developers, Designers, and Managers, and to Those Who, Whether by Good Fortune or Ill Luck, Work with Them in Some Capacity” as Want to Read:

Joel, Apress, Blogs, and Blooks

...I was learning the hard way about how to be a publisher and probably spending way too much time looking at web sites and programming than I should have in response to that. Anyway, one day I came across this web site called, which was run by a guy with strong opinions and an unusual, clever writing style, along with a willingness to take o
Published July 1st 2008 by Apress (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about More Joel on Software, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Joel on Software

Matt
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect a lot from this book. It was published when the world was still young and great reptiles ruled the world - eight years ago. I picked it up because I've read quite a bit of Joel Spolsky's blog and I expected quite a lot from the dead-tree version.

My expectations weren't betrayed. The book features a lot of great information on how software should be developed by tackling all the non-software problems: hiring developers, building a great work environment, handling delicate topics,
Arjen
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computing
Another book bundling Joel Spolky's thoughts on software development, software education, companies and stuff. Actually, it's a collection of blog posts published somewhere between 2000 - 2008.

I like Joel. I like the way he writes. He must have been in 37Signals minds when they wrote in 'Getting Real': hire good writers. Joel is a good writer having the ability to explain difficult concepts in a language my father understands. On top of that he is funny at times.

My favourite story from this book
Kristjan
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Despite the fact it has been while when this book was issued and therefore many examples outdate, then concepts and points are still very valid.

Reason why my rating was due to not following/understanding why some chapters made it to the book as not tightly linked topic at hand (regarding typefaces, browsers, others' book reviews, book intros).
Chibimagic
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody in software
Shelves: programming
Like the original Joel on Software, this book is a collection of articles that Joel Spolsky has posted on his website in the past 10 years. And like the original, it's loosely organized into parts, but there's no overarching narrative. Unlike the original, the articles are fascinating up to the last word, and I was genuinely surprised when I reached the last page. It left me wanting more.

Joel is an amazing writing about software development: programming itself, management, and the entire product
Saurabh
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book certainly deserves a 5 star rating not because it talks about the intricacies of software industry from Joel's point of view but because it makes you aware of every single aspect of the software industry warning you of all the pitfalls. This is one of the best books I have ever read on software and is a bible every software guy should read and assimilate.It teaches you the tips and tricks of software development and the business in close proximity from someone who has been there and do ...more
Joel Cares
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm pretty sure I had read at least half of this book before on Joel's blog (big surprise, it's a book of blog posts) but it was still interesting to read through this. As I'm in the beginning stages of a programming career I found myself mostly nodding and saying "Yes, that seems correct" a lot. This is definitely the kind of book I want to pick up again in 5 years and dive a little deeper into the thoughts behind it all. Great writer, great book. He sets a high bar for me, another Joel in the ...more
Abhishek Kona
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, Joel clearly thought I made so much money with the first book. May be I can make some more with the second one.

This is a poor follow up to the first book. It would have been 10 times better if Joel released an updated version of the first book - but I get it, he is not a full time book author.

Suggest skipping this book. Though: there are 2-3 quite good articles in it.
pluton
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
The continuation of the first book, Joel on Software, is also a set of articles from Joel's blog. Most of them are still relevant (business-related), some are relevant because software development stumbles upon the same problems again and again (history repeating), and a small part is old.
Shana
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Highly enjoyable and really interesting. It's not so often that you get a technical book that is actually a pleasure to read. Joel Spolsky has some really interesting opinions and I learned a lot of stuff about software development that I wasn't aware of.
Suzie
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, online
Explains the things that should and do happen at software companies and in code. Pretty great, though I don't share his view on liberal arts or non prestigious schools for the most part. (It isn't Joel on Liberal Arts, and those classes weren't his favorites, which is fine.)
Khang Nguyen
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Like how "ignore everyone" was better than "the devil plan", More Joel on software is a bit less than the original Joel on software. If you have read Smart and Get Thing Done, the content of part 1, 2 (and 3? I don't remember clearly) is sort of repeated.
Nathan
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is basically selected blog posts from http://www.joelonsoftware.com in book form for offline portability. There is definitely some good relevant content here covering a wide range of topics around effective software engineering, management, and the state and nature of the industry.
Benjamin
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Better than the first.

my favorite quote: "Managers exist to get furniture out of the way so the real talent can do brilliant work."
Nikolaos Korasidis
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Grand software schemes as well as small-scale technical advice, all wrapped in good humour and bathed in hard-earned experience. If you dabble in software, there is no excuse not to read it.
Michael
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Joel, if you tell the "I once worked at this bakery..." story one more time, I swear I'm going to scream.
Rob
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good stuff here: from managing engineers, to self-learning, and advice towards more realistic self-scheduling--I found a lot to like in here, all written in a breezy, humorous style.
Sten Anderson
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Here's what I think of this book: http://blogs.citytechinc.com/sanderso...
John
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
'Nother good Spolsky book. Almost enough said right there if you're a software developer.

Essays adapted from joelonsoftware.com, but with additional content. Hooray for that.
Simon Parsons
Another good selection of Joel writing from his web site. As always his style makes reading fun.
Alon Gutman
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
There is a lot to learn from him, I don't find him that much of a good writer compare to his popularity.
Nikita Pchelin
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the sequel as much as the first book - thought provoking and humorous.
Angelo
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just as the cover advertises: all the best material from the blog, now in a convenient dead-tree format. Sometimes it's just good to freshen up on what you already read before.
Hemil Deshmukh
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sofware Developers, Software Development Managers
Software development tips from the trenches! As good as the first one.
Ethan J
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. It introduced management methods, project management, and his thoughts on the entire industry.
Steve
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well written and filled with good, commonsense information. The first book was better, which is to be expected, as the books are culled from blogs on his website. Recommended for programmers.
Benjamin Sigrist
Aug 01, 2009 rated it liked it
witty and intelligent. this is a great read. even if you are not planning to go into the software business, it's a great look into the mind of a sharp entrepreneur.
Danilo Santos
Mar 21, 2015
Alexey
Feb 28, 2013
Anayonkar
Aug 08, 2017
Panji Aryaputra
Sep 03, 2013

• Masterminds of Programming: Conversations with the Creators of Major Programming Languages
  • The Old New Thing: Practical Development Throughout the Evolution of Windows
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • Eric Sink on the Business of Software
  • Beautiful Code: Leading Programmers Explain How They Think
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • 97 Things Every Programmer Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering
  • Ship It!
  • Beautiful Testing: Leading Professionals Reveal How They Improve Software
  • Team Geek: A Software Developer's Guide to Working Well with Others
  • The Design of Design: Essays from a Computer Scientist
  • Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules
  • Dreaming in Code: Two Dozen Programmers, Three Years, 4,732 Bugs, and One Quest for Transcendent Software
  • Beautiful Architecture: Leading Thinkers Reveal the Hidden Beauty in Software Design
  • The Productive Programmer
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“I've grown to think that keeping your desk clean is actually probably a sign that you're not being effective.” 0 likes