Start by marking “A Thousand Lies” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Lies

A Thousand Lies

In 1987, Sheila Shand was given a suspended sentence for killing her father. But, when novelist Amy Vaughan begins her research on a book some 17 years later, she soon discovers that some key aspects of the case have been overlooked.
Published January 1st 2006 by Orion (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Lies

Start your review of A Thousand Lies
Jannelies
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
In 2003 las en besprak ik Hello Bunny Alice van Laura Wilson, en ik vond dat een zeer beeldend boek. In 2005 las en besprak ik The Lover, waarbij ik opmerkte dat het de moeite waard zou zijn voor een Nederlandse uitgever om de boeken van Laura Wilson te laten vertalen. Nu heb ik dus mijn zin gekregen, en kan ik mijn enthousiasme over deze schrijfster delen met iedereen die graag goede vertalingen leest.
A thousand lies is, evenals de vorige boeken van Laura Wilson, vooral zo goed omdat zij kans z
Ant Koplowitz
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I usually like Laura Wilson's work - her Ted Stratton detective series is solid stuff - but A Thousand Lies seemed drawn-out and rambling. So many different plots and sub-plots all fighting with each other - it seemed to lack coherence and a sense of meaningful forward momentum. And far to must exposition through character dialogue - it felt like I was reading a script of a TV detective series at one point.

Not one of her best.
Lesley
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

Not my favourite Laura Wilson novel, they would be her DI Ted Stratton series, but a good if uncomfortable read.
Lizzy Chandler
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The judge said (I will never forget this), ‘In many ways your life has been a form of punishment.’ Sometimes I wonder what he would have said if I had told the truth.

So Sheila Shand, a woman convicted of the manslaughter of her father, wrote in her journal in 1988, hinting at one of the many lies which Laura Wilson’s crime novel, A Thousand Lies, goes on to uncover and explain.

Sheila’s journals, and the sections from her point of view, are an important element of the novel, but the main story ce
CekMoNSter
This is a thriller, one that has lots of people dead, or dying..
And the only cause for this comes from a man.
I really liked the blurb at the back of this book. To be honest, it was simple and straightforward. Though, reading it gave me a grandeur feeling of something nasty written. It did.
The story is filled with twists, mostly about who was murdering who.

It began when Amy`s mother died because of cancer, and she was clearing her mom`s apartment when she found a diary written by a Maureen Shand
Melanie
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was okay. I didn't really gain much interest till 75-100 pages in the book. There were several parts to the story that weren't developed. The whole concept in this book was difficult. It is about a lady who has survived emotional, physical and sexual abuse at her dad's hand from 13-36 years of age. She and her sister stilll lived in the house with both parents into their 30s. There are a couple of murders, a small amount of romance, and a small amount of another lady and her damaged re ...more
Vera VB
Amy Vaughan is journaliste en vindt bij het opruimen van het huis van haar overleden moeder een krantenknipsel en een brief die doet vermoeden dat ze toch nog ergens familie heeft.
Binnen die familie heeft zich jaren geleden wel een drama voorgedaan.
Zoals het een goede journaliste betaamt, gaat ze zich inwerken in de rest van de familie en wil ze het fijne van de zaak weten. Het betreft een dochter die haar vader vermoord heeft, maar vrijgesproken is door de rechter omdat zij, haar zus en moede
Kate Heceta
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Highly creepy. Laura Wilson tells the story of a woman abused and raped constantly by her father, and how she comes to terms with the truth and the ghosts of her past, aided by her cousin, an investigative journalist named Amy. I have absolutely no criticism for this book. It accurately portrayed a subject that is still kind of taboo even today, and the simple, plain way that Wilson tells a story was intensely moving. Go read it!
Elizabeth J M Lyle
Not a word of a lie

A five star book is difficult to find and that's not a word of a lie. Ms Wilson has a well paced story. The only reason I couldn't give A Thousand Lies was I felt there were too many characters. The scenes of domestic cruelty were extreme and of course we know it goes on but the two girls had jobs so must have had some self-assurance. Ms Wilson wrote a good novel if one that for me, was too busy in place and people.
Joanne
Apr 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: luisterboeken
Het is dat ik dit boek heb geluisterd anders had ik het zeker weten niet uitgelezen in de hoek gegooid. Wat een ontzettend ongeloofwaardig en vergezocht verhaal. En totaal niet spannend, terwijl het een thriller is. Geen aanrader!!
Anya
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beklijvind. Simpelweg beklijvend.
Weebly
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a disturbing book, reminded me of the story of the guy in Austria who kept his daughter locked in the cellar and had kids with her - nasty but compelling to read.
Sue
Jun 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a fictionalised version of the true story Murder in the Heart by Alexandra Artley, which I found facinating but very uncomfortable to read.
Faye Lewis
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Hard hitting with serious subjects ie incest, Munchausen's disease, murder, domestic violence, animal cruelty. A good read with a non too disappointing climax. ...more
Elisabeth  Modschiedler
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Shape of Night
  • Klaarlichte dag
  • All His Pretty Girls (Detective Alyssa Wyatt, #1)
  • Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail
  • Tokyo (The Crime Beat #7)
  • Los Angeles (The Crime Beat #9)
  • San Francisco (The Crime Beat #8)
  • Nieuws van nergens
  • Debt Inheritance (Indebted, #1)
  • Sixkill (Spenser, #39)
  • My Little Secret
  • Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • The Butterfly Girl (Naomi Cottle, #2)
  • Victim 2117 (Department Q, #8)
  • Flights
  • Nineteen Eighty (Red Riding, #3)
  • The Family
  • Nineteen Eighty Three (Red Riding, #4)
There is more than one author with this name

Laura Wilson is an English crime-writer based in London, where she was born and raised. She has degrees in English Literature form Somerville College, Oxford, and University College London, and has worked as a teacher and editor of non-fiction.

Many of her novels have either a historical setting or a distinct historical connection, and often have split or