Start by marking “Sparrow in the Wind” as Want to Read:
Sparrow in the Wind

Sparrow in the Wind

Funny how memories work, the things you remember, the things forgotten, the things that change you. Back in the summer of 1962, ten year-old Cassandra Parsons has her life all figured out. She lives with her father and mother in the upstairs flat of a well-appointed two family house in a pleasant neighborhood of Racine, Wisconsin. Her maternal aunt and grandfather live rig ...more
Published April 22nd 2016 by Bedazzled Ink Publishing (first published April 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Sparrow in the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sparrow in the Wind

CB Doner
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently read Sparrow in the Wind, by S. Rose, with my high school book and writing club. We all loved it! The members range from grades 9-12, and represent a wide variety of interests and ability levels. Each student said that he/she could relate to this novel on some personal level, as it explores a number of universal themes, and controversial issues that are as relevant today as they were in 1962 when the story takes place. The author's style is fresh, creatively descriptive, and insightfu ...more
Shirley
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed a copy from a friend. The author is a skillful artist, creating worlds inhabited by lifelike characters searching for their own space in the world around them.

Set in the early 1960s, Sparrow in the Wind tells the story of ten-year-old Cassie, a girl with a family chocked full of secrets. Some of these secrets have the potential to tear apart the world in which she lives. But Cassie meets a young Indian girl named Sparrow, and life lessons are learned in ways that put the reader on se
Beem Weeks
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sparrow In The Wind is the fourth novel I’ve read by S. Rose. The middle two books, while well written and entertaining, are science fiction. I’m just not a big fan of that genre. This most recent novel—along with her debut title—falls into my favorite genre: coming of age.

Sparrow In The Wind tells the story of young Cassandra Parsons, a girl living with her parents in 1962 Wisconsin. As the story’s narrative voice, Cassandra shares her life’s experiences with readers, telling us about her move
Carol
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, first-reads
Sparrow in the Wind by S. Rose is an exceptional coming of age book. The main character, Cassandra Parsons lives with her parents in Racine Wisconsin in the 1960a. She does not feel close to her parents because they don't really show their affection for her. She has a Norwegian heritage and loves her Aunt Grundrun. Aunt Grundrun still has an accent, cooks from scratch, and shows her affection by the time and care that she takes fixing Cassy's hair.

One day. her father announces that they are movi
Molly
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful and bittersweet story. The portrayal of the 1960ies has an amazing authenticity that engulfs the reader immediately. Transported into the childhood of our protagonist Cassandra the narrative shines with an equally inspired voice. The perfect setting for a childhood friendship, innocence and its eventual loss.
Rose does a marvellous job at portraying a Norwegian family with great accuracy of cultural idiosyncrasies without reducing them to boring stereotypes.
The main chara
Nancy
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rose's descriptive prose is lyrical and deeply affecting. Her characters sprang off the pages and the action never slowed down. My only complaint is that some of the dialog didn't feel natural. When Cassandra and Gudrun discussed Cassandra's parentage, and when Cassandra and Tina rehashed George's family history, the dialog was stilted and unnatural. The dialog between Cassandra and George in the epilogue was wonderful and Gudrun's written account of her history was very moving.
Catherine
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-books
Wow,what an awesome book! I won this in a Goodreads giveaway & I absolutely loved it. One of the best books I've read! I love stories that take you back to remembering your childhood....I love the story this tells. I felt almost every emotion while reading this....I laughed,cried,worried,was nervous...all due to great writing! The author really made me feel this story!
Lisa
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won Sparrow In The Wind in a Goodreads giveaway! And I am so very happy That i did!!! What an AWESOME book!!!! I loved it!!! I highly recommend this book, once you start reading it you wont want to put it down!!!
Roxanne
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Goddreads win review. This is a cute coming of age story of 10 year old Cassandra in Racine. Wisconsin. Then she has to move and becomes isolated but she meets an Indian girl named Sparrow and they forge a close bond.
S. Rose
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Paul
Diane
Diana Petty-stone
Richard
Jun 09, 2016
Connecting Reader...: Goodreads Book Giveaway ending June 30 1 3 Jun 27, 2016 07:20AM
Connecting Reader...: Goodreads Give away 1 8 Jun 17, 2016 07:33AM
  • The Scarlet Kingfisher
  • Real Men Wear Beige : One man's jailhouse journey through the chaotic realm of concrete and steel
  • Raw Chocolate Treats: Healthy Recipes for the Chocolate Lover
  • Power Concedes Nothing: One Woman's Quest for Social Justice in America, from the Courtroom to the Kill Zones
  • Mom, Mania, and Me: Surviving and Changing a Volatile Relationship
  • The Pandas and Their Chopsticks: And Other Animals Stories
  • Sunrise Over Disney
  • Stitch-opedia: The Only Embroidery Reference You'll Ever Need
  • What We Leave Behind - Four Generations in Cicero, Illinois (None of Them Knew Al Capone)
  • The Rummy Club
  • The Network
  • Good Seeds: A Menominee Indian Food Memoir
  • Ashes to Water
  • Feathered
  • In My Hands: Compelling Stories from a Surgeon and His Patients Fighting Cancer
  • There Was an Old Sailor
  • A Cancer in the Family: Take Control of Your Genetic Inheritance
  • The Emotional Eating Workbook: A Proven-Effective, Step-by-Step Guide to End Your Battle with Food and Satisfy Your Soul