Start by marking “The Fragrance Shed by a Violet: Murder in the Medical Center” as Want to Read:
The Fragrance Shed by a Violet: Murder in the Medical Center

Read Book

The Fragrance Shed by a Violet: Murder in the Medical Center

After her series of articles is awarded three Pulitzer Prizes, investigative reporter Kate Townsend is haunted by the knowledge that her new-found fame has been purchased at too high a price. She is certain that McCall, an internationally acclaimed cardiologist, researcher, and a 2002 nominee for the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is not guilty.
Texas governor Greg Bell hires f
Paperback, 2nd, 486 pages
Published October 27th 2015 by Wilder Books (first published July 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Fragrance Shed by a Violet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fragrance Shed by a Violet

Start your review of The Fragrance Shed by a Violet: Murder in the Medical Center
Linda Strong
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Where oh where to begin? This is such a terrific book that touches on so many social issues, emotions, dysfunctional families, and painful journeys to forgiveness.

Dr. Lindsey McCall is a resident in the Texas State Penitentiary in Huntsville, Texas. She was found guilty of murdering her own mother by injecting her with an untested drug that she had worked on for her entire life.

Investigative Kate Townsend finds herself looking into this strange case .... winding up winning not one, but three Pul
Carole
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Goodreads for a free copy. I was excited to win this book . Fragrance Shed by a Violet is about many things. There is a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter, a Nobel Prize nominee and famous cardiologist, and a defense attorney whose lives all intersect at a state prison. The reporter won the Pulitzer writing about Dr. McCall, who has been imprisoned for murder. The attorney is an ex-cop who had agreed to help the Texas governor clean up problems within the prison. Now the reporter, Kate To ...more
Shirley  T.Heathcock
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This author is a PhD (nurse) who knows of which she speaks. If you are in the medical world in Houston, Texas you probably are as proud of her as I am.

Her good friend and admirer.

Shirley Heathcock R.N. (retired)
N.N. Light
I’m a recent fan of medical mysteries, even though it’s been a popular genre for years. In The Fragrance Shed by a Violet, Lin Wilder takes us deep inside medical research and one doctor’s actions that reverberates throughout the community. Dr. Lindsay McCall is tried and convicted for intentional murder. As she sits in jail, guilt and shame her companions in the cell, investigative reporter Kate Townsend is confident Dr. McCall didn’t do it. She investigates and what she uncovers, shakes the me ...more
Barbara
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
The Fragrance Shed by a Violet is a medical mystery that explores the lives of two sisters, Lindsey and Paula, as part of an investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death of their mother. Along the way, the book provides a window into the world of medical research. It was a page=turner that was hard to put down.

I received a free review copy of The Fragrance Shed by a Violet through Goodreads Giveaways.
Sheelah
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well written book with a very timely story line. It is clear that the author understands her subject. The story line flowed very well.
Matt McAvoy
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
When you read Lin Wilder, you pretty much know what you are going to get: writing of the highest quality, from an incredibly learned professional author, and “The Fragrance Shed By A Violet…” falls firmly into this category. I’ve recently read this and its sequel “Do you Solemnly Swear? A Nation of Law: The Dark Side”, albeit in the wrong order, and have, on both occasions, been awestruck by the depth of Wilder’s knowledge.

Though, if I am to be ruthlessly honest, I have to admit that I found thi
Jeannell Ingram
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a well written book, my first book from this author, and she is smart. I can tell because she makes a complicated story with lots of medical and legal jargon easy for me to understand. There are quotes from famous people (some of whose names I actually recognized - Aeschylus, Proust, St Francis, Ecclesiastes, Dante, and Lewis Carroll - but most I did not recognize) at the beginning of each of the 29 chapters which relate directly to what happens in that chapter. Nice touch. I especially enj ...more
Deborah Gebhardt
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jamie
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has all the feels! Everything from day to day life to dysfunctional family. You could not read a better book that touches on everything and puts into perspective that even doctors are human. Great book you will not regret reading it.
G Lane
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I'm really torn by this book. The story was good. However, it was wordy. Unnecessarily overly descriptive. This is somewhat of a mystery, but more a book about a dysfunctional family, substance abuse, and friendship with a sprinkle of religion and love.

Overall, it's a worthwhile read.
Stuart
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Medical murders have become more prominent in fiction in recent years and Lin Wilder does it right in 'The Fragrance Shed by a Violet: Murder in the Medical Center.' From nurses and doctors murdering for wealth or to ease the suffering of those who are too sick there are a slew of reasons that can be used for the basis of these books and in this one we see a Doctor who is thought of as a genius in the field being in jail for a crime no one can believe she would commit.

Only, she's blocked any of
Sandra
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought the title of this novel was very intriguing, and that is what initially attracted me to the novel. “The Fragrance Shed by a Violet” is an interesting and fairly well written novel, with an intriguing storyline. The narrative is easy to follow, and focuses on several different characters, so you feel like you get to know the main characters quite well. The opening prologue sets the story up well, and the reveal/twist at the end of the prologue compelled me to read on. The pacing of the ...more
Cynthia
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from Goodreads giveaways. I first I thought why would a doctor kill her own mother who had been sick for so many years and the research work you were doing was on the affects of the drug she had been taking, and you were trying to find a better drug to help people with the same problems. You hear how much big pharm makes from drugs but you don't always get to understand some of the reasons some of the drugs are made. But reading the story about a doctor who was tried for murder a ...more
Lisa
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley-arc
You can find more reviews Mademoisellesnow Blog

I felt that this story has a really long time line, some times I felt it hard to concentrate with the story and keep me interested in reading this. I enjoyed the plot line overall but as parts of it left me uninterested this book lost some points there. The overall writing was pretty good and solid, which made the plot flow quite well.
Glenda Bixler
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This remarkable book is now up on my blog with excerpts, music...

Ann Williams
Ludivina Fendt
Jul 29, 2019
Tiffaney Alrod
Aug 02, 2019

• Escape from Ancient Egypt (Neiko Adventure Saga, #2)
  • Beyond the Horizon (Beyond Saga, #2)
  • Dragon Games, Book Two of the Wereding Chronicles
  • Neiko's Five Land Adventure (Neiko Adventure Saga, #1)
  • Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga, #1)
  • Dark Lands: Requiem
  • Dark Lands: The Not-Where
  • Amber Dragon (The Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Awakening of Magic, Book One of the Wereding Chronicles
  • Ananse the Cunning Spider and the Magic Cook Pot
  • John Phoenix
  • Aftermath
  • Rain No Evil
  • The Angel of Innisfree
  • Greenbeard the Pirate Pig
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • The Acheron Deception
  • A Chick in the Cockpit: My Life Up in the Air
Lin Wilder is the author of the Lindsey McCall
medical mystery series, which includes The Fragrance Shed By A Violet, Do You Solemnly Swear? A Price for Genius and Malthus Revisited. Her latest books are,
I Claudia- A Novel of the Ancient World and My Name is Saul- A Novel of the Ancient World.
Her memoir, Finding the Narrow Path, recounts her journey away from God and back again.

She is the recipient