Start by marking “While the Black Stars Burn” as Want to Read:
While the Black Stars Burn

While the Black Stars Burn

Lucy A. Snyder's latest collection features a spellbinding mix of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. Her stories will carry you away to the sinister heart of the Deep South, the mind-bending reaches of outer space, and the terrifying desolation of Carcosa.

As the follow-up to the Bram Stoker Award winning collection Soft Apocalypses, this book's darkly imaginative tales
Published November 15th 2015 by Raw Dog Screaming Press

To ask other readers questions about While the Black Stars Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about While the Black Stars Burn

Craig
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book collects a coven's worth of very good stories, but just to be different I'll offer a quote from the About the Author biography page: "If genres were wall-building nations, Lucy's stories would be forging passports, jumping fences, swimming rivers and dodging bullets." Yep, that pretty well nails it. Spinwebs in particular can be taken a number of ways, as well as Dura Mater, an epistolary sf/horror tale. Jessie Shimmer Goes to Hell is, obviously, an entry in the Spellbent universe, tho ...more
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Note: I was involved in publishing this book

If you're looking for compelling, imaginative fiction this book is for you. While the Black Stars Burn is Snyder's follow-up short fiction collection to the Bram Stoker Award winning Soft Apocalypses and Snyder continues to burn brightly with engaging stories that surprise and satisfy. She is well aware of what has gone before and never parrots other works but can certainly build on them. Her takes on The King in Yellow, Carcosa and the Dr. Who mythos
Danielle Dawson
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I really did enjoy this collection! I think my favorite is the titular While the Black Stars Burn. A few were certainly more abstract than others, a few more on theme than others. The only thing stopping me from really giving this a full five stars is that a couple things didn't work for me. Small things, personal taste things mostly, and I wouldn't say they're anything overall against the book.

Snyder appears to have a general penchant for throwing the reader right smack into the center
Sriram K R
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine collection of chilling tales. Some of the material here is dark as all hell and provokes some visceral responses with the way it plays between horror and relationships. Through Thy Bounty is one of the darkest stories I have read in recent times and is my pick from this collection. Dura Mater, Cthylla and Jessie Shimmer goes to Hell are all terrific examples of modern weird fiction and horror done right.

[spoiler] to top it all, the last story in there is a Doctor Who themed crossover fanf
Catherine Cavendish
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous collection of short stories from multi Stoker Award winner Lucy A. Snyder. The influences of Lovecraft abound but these stories are not derivative. The author has the skill to create fantastic other-worlds where terror and fear reign supreme but, at the same time writes stories of great tenderness and ghostly sadness. Of these, perhaps The Stillness of Passing Cars was my personal favourite, although each new story brought an enjoyable surprise.

This author shows how a mix of horror, f
J.L.
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: october-2017
Disclaimer: I share a publisher with this author, whom I also consider a friend. I purchased a hardcopy version of this fiction collection at full price.

In the spirit of Halloween month, I was asked by a fellow blogger to participate in her round-up of monster discussions. In looking for a way to talk about Cthulu, when I have very limited experience in the horror genre in general and H.P. Lovecraft in particular, I remembered a book that’s been sitting on my “to be read” shelf for an embarrassi
Adam Carter
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A showcase of Lucy Snyder's talents, these stories range from dark fantasy to science fiction to horror, most blending together for astounding results. Standouts for me include: 'While the Black Stars Burn' and 'The Girl With the Star-Stained Soul' which are two of the best Carcosa/King in Yellow stories I've ever encountered. 'Approaching Lavender' is a terrifying example of bodysnatcher fiction. 'Dura Mater' assures us the past is a far-travelling, all-consuming monster. Finally, 'Jessie Shimm ...more
LeAnn Long
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Several of the short stories were really good. My favorite was Spinwebs.
Shawn
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hit and miss

This was a bit of a mixed bag as far as collections go. Some stories were good, others were enough to make me skip them. All in all though, not a bad book.
Eric
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I wasn’t too fond of the final three tales in this collection, but all of the preceding ones were delightful genre-busting hybrids that left me wanting more. A clever and unique talent.
Alex
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Lucy Snyder’s work. She delivers solid action and pacing, and this translates very effectively into her urban fantasy stories. Her story “Magdala Amygdala” from a previous collection is a nearly perfect encapsulation of what I want from horror – grim and unsettling uncomfortable tension.

My favorite from this collection is the titular “While the Black Stars Burn.” It hits all my buttons including the destructive nature of art, along with its ability to revel the darkness underneath
Shawn Scarber Deggans
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lucy A. Snyder's fiction explores dark family heritage, gateways to other worlds, and a refreshing approach to relationships. The stories cover a wide genre range from dark fantasy, to horror, to a media tie-in. Both the "Abomination of Fensmere" and "The Girl With the Star-stained Soul" answer what it means to be a member of a family groomed for connecting to the Great Old Ones. These stories combine the Mythos of Lovecraft as well as the world of The King in Yellow. "Cthylla" is one of my favo ...more
Ian Welke
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While The Black Stars Burn is a collection of stories of everything I want to read. Snyder jumps from genre to genre and combinations of genres, using scifi, horror, and fantasy within the same story. Her prose reads effortlessly as she seems as comfortable writing a story set on a spaceship as she does with a King In Yellow story.

All of the stories feel original and fresh, even the couple I’ve read before in other places. In addition to rereading those stories, it was fantastic to read “Abomin
Greg Gbur
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Though it has been almost a century since H.P. Lovecraft essentially invented and championed the genre of cosmic horror, it remains an incredibly popular source of inspiration for writers. I suspect this is the case because authors have taken Lovecraft’s basic premise and extended it in ways that were beyond his capabilities.

A great example of this can be found in the recent collection While the Black Stars Burn (2015), by Lucy A. Snyder.

Snyder’s stories uses cosmic horror, among other ideas, t
Lana Hart
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty solid collection of works, although some seemed to end before the crux of the story was established. In particular, I enjoyed Dura Mater, Through Thy Bounty, and Jessie Shimmer Goes to Hell, although The Still-Life Drama of Passing Cars was disturbing to say the least. This sampler platter of short fiction whetted my appetite for longer works by the author, and I intend to follow up with that soon.
Gary Pilkington
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very good collection of short fiction. The tales range from engaging to disturbing to terrifying. I knew nothing of this author when I started reading and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the plotting and prose. A good read!
Louisa Heaton
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
A collection of short stories, some of which I enjoyed. The world creation was A1, but I sometimes felt at a loss to understand the rules of these worlds. Perhaps some of the stories deserved to be novellas or novels, so that the world could be slowly introduced and explained.
Michael Albanese
I liked this book. I won't say that every story was great. a couple didn't seem to really click with me but overall it was good.
I would have preferred more content though. 166 pages is really short.
Nervavels
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT!!

It was recommended by a Lovecraftian group on FB. The first story pulled me in and then it got darker and intense, and then the last story brightened up without removing or erasing the effects. So very awesome.
James
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't usually get on with short stories, as much as I wish I did, but I enjoyed this collection more I usually do: I missed my bus stop for 'The Abomination of Fensmere'.
Jonny Illuminati
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lucy Snyder is an amazing author, easily slipping from one genre into another while creating amazing worlds and creepy fucking stories. I highly recommend this one.
Heidi
Feb 22, 2017
Steven Salter
Jun 23, 2016
Janeite Reader Writer
rated it did not like it
Oct 23, 2018
Ann Schwader
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Review to follow -- soon, I hope.
James Prince

• Tales of Horror & the Supernatural
  • Year's Best Weird Fiction, Vol. 3
  • The Night Library
  • Painted Devils: Strange Stories
  • Earl Aubec and Other Stories (Eternal Champion, #14)
  • The Sea of Ash
  • Jane
  • The Grimscribe's Puppets
  • Year's Best Weird Fiction, Vol. 1
  • Alectryomancer and Other Weird Tales
  • The Grief Frequency
  • The Last Hieroglyph
Lucy A. Snyder is a five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning writer and the author of the novels Spellbent, Shotgun Sorceress, and Switchblade Goddess. She also authored the nonfiction book Shooting Yourself in the Head For Fun and Profit: A Writer's Survival Guide and the story collections While the Black Stars Burn, Soft Apocalypses, Orchid Carousals, Sparks and Shadows, and Installing Linux on a Dea ...more