Start by marking “Life Without Nico” as Want to Read:
Life Without Nico

Life Without Nico

Maia and Nico are best friends. They never get tired of playing together. Unexpectedly, though, Nico and his family have to move far away for a while. Maia is devastated. .Now time passes slowly, and the emptiness is with Maia everywhere she goes.. She makes her way through the dark days, bored and alone. But, slowly, things begin to change, and .? Maia meets an unexpected ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by Kids Can Press (first published July 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Life Without Nico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Without Nico

Idarah
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally published in Mexico under the title La Vida Sin Santi in 2014, Kids Can Press translated and published this picture book earlier this year. This book touched me really deeply, because there are times in our lives where we are separated from friends and/or family that we love dearly for a time.
 photo image_zpssyo6ntbc.jpeg
Maia is separated from her best friend, Nico, when his family travels halfway across the globe for a period of time. In his absence, Maia feels unable to cope with the immense void she feels in
Noura
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is charming.

I was totally engrossed in this. Part of that is because of how magical the illustrations were and the other is because the story was approached and dealt with from a child's point of view. I know that's how most picture books are approached but few succeed with in the same level this did.

I can't wait to get a copy for my cousins/everyone else I know.
Melissa Bennrup
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
l thought this little book provided an honest and poignant description of the void left behind when friendships are unexpectedly ended or disrupted. Too many picture books aimed at making sense of emotions are oversimplified. Even the joy felt when the friends were reunited was realistically tempered with the anxiety of not knowing if everything would be as it was before. This book really got it right.
Sandra
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maia and Nico are best friends, and of course they do what best friends do: they share, and play, and laugh. Everything is better when they are together. Now you can understand why Maia is so shocked when she knows Nico and his family are moving away for a few months due to his father studies. How will she survive?

At the beginning it was really, really hard. Maia only could feel a big emptiness. Time seemed to move so slowly. But after some time she dared to try, and a new pet appeared. Then a n
Mary
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classroom-reads
Tale of a moving friend. How to deal with a friend moving, and how to move on without forgetting. There's always room for friends old and new.
Tina at Mommynificent
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely book for children facing either a move of their own or a move of a friend. It does a wonderful job of validating the strength of the emotions felt and also explains the stages of grief in a very child-friendly way. It's really very well done.

I also appreciated the rather unexpected multicultural nature of the book. I'm not exactly sure why Nico is blue, but that's ok. The children seem to live in South America and Nico's family moves to Australia for a time. As an American famil
Jason Stanley
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Life Without Nico is another fantastic book from Kids Can Press.

Maia and Nico are best friends. They can spend hours playing together and never get bored. Then, unexpectedly, Nico and his family leave behind their South American home for the land of koalas and kangaroos.

Maia is devasted.

Read more at: http://jasoncstanley.com/book-review-...
Jim
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the art - so simple, yet so expressive! It perfectly portrays the emotions in the book. The emptiness Maia feels when Nico leaves. How she feels when he returns.

And such a sweet, sweet story.

I would recommend it - especially for a little who is sad for someone that has had to leave them.

Thanks to NetGalley and Kids Can Press for a copy in return for an honest review.
Emily Burns
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story that is emotionally intelligent and affirming. I will probably purchase this one for my own collection.
Paul
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a simple book about a friend moving away, but it delivers its narrative and emotion so smoothly as Nico leaves and Maia is left behind. The visual and emotional cues are perfect--he is excited for his adventure and she is mournful in her aloneness--and it doesn't sidestep the real feeling of loss or diminish or sweep away those emotions by suggesting "You'll find another friend" or "It's not so bad." Even their "moving on" stage presents its own questions of what becomes of the earlier r ...more
Adam
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The genre is realistic fiction because it involves events that can happen in real life. For example, Maia’s best friend moves away and she has to figure out how to live life without him.
The target audience is primary (K-3).
Making Connections:
Text-to-Self: This book reminded me of my own life because I’ve had many friends that I was close to but eventually lost contact with, and during that time, I felt many of the same things that Maia did.
Text-to-Text: This book reminded me of Ghosts by Raina
Brittany Richard
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Hook:
Has one of your childhood friends ever moved far away? Were you filled with confusion and sadness? That is how Maia felt when her best friend Nico moved far away with his family. Maia lived with sadness for a while, until she got a cat and met a new friend. She comes to the realization that she can make other friends and she does not have to have just one friend. It was not the end of the world for Maia and Nico and they still remained friends.

Three words or phrases that best describe
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maia and Nico are best friends and play together until the day Nico has to move far away for awhile. Maia things she'll be lonely forever, but one day she realizes her life has become full again. She's worried that when Nico moves back she won't have time for him anymore. This is a lovely story about friendship.
AEK7300
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The illustration on the cover grabbed my attention. The colors were unusal...the aqua colored boy, especially. The whole book has deep tones of aqua, gold, brown, and orange. Along with the simple illustrations, it really portrays well the sad emotions of Maia after Nico moves away. A great story of friendship that withstands time and miles.
Ellon
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
I used this book for a kindergarten lesson about friendship and what you can do if a friend moves away. Very cut story that kids were able to easily understand without dumbing it down. I liked the description of depression that was easy for kids to understand.
Sara
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful text and beautiful illustrations. This picture book deals with separation of friends, but is different from other "moving away" books because the friend's departure is temporary.
Kari
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brittany Soder
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful and simple book about the struggles of friends moving away. I think many kids will be able to learn to cope with big life changes along with this book.
Jiali
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, childrens
A beautiful children's book on separation and letting time help with the emptiness. The ending is even better :')
Liz Todd
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
The art..the ideas in the art.. is what makes this book so special.
Niffer
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Has a promising start, but the end is very abrupt.
Cheriee Weichel
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This picture book deals realistically with the loneliness of separation and loss. When Maia’s best friend, Nico, has to move away, she is overwhelmed with a feeling of emptiness. Over time this dark and empty hole is filled with a new kitten, new friends and new experiences. When Nico does eventually return, she experiences new kinds of worry.
This is a beautiful book to use when children are dealing with grief and loss whether it’s temporary or permanent.
Marie
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-booklist
Chili

"Too soon, it's time to say goodbye"

"There are some things time cannot change."
Jo Oehrlein
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two best friends are separated when one family moves away.
The friend left behind slowly makes another friend and finds a way to fill her days.
Then Nico moves back home. Will this still work?
Pamela
Story of a best friend moving away, and how one might cope w that. Originally published in Mexico. Love illustrations, especially blue boy.
Emily
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing. Life Without Nico perfectly describes all of the feelings involved with a friend moving away. Beautiful!
Tasha
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Maia and Nico are best friends. They love playing together. But then one day, Nico’s family announce that they are moving across the world. When Nico leaves, Maia is left with an empty feeling inside. The emptiness gets bigger and bigger, not allowing her to play with other kids. But things get better as time passes. Maia finds a kitten, learns to play the piano, and makes a new friend at school. Soon it is time for Nico to return. At first, Maia is scared that things will be different, but soon ...more
Kelly
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who's ever had to say goodbye.

(Full disclosure: I received a free book for review through Goodreads Giveaways.)

Nico and Maia are best friends: inseparable, even when they aren't together. Then one day Nico's father announces that they're moving to Australia - temporarily - so that he can continue his studies. The days pass quickly - too quickly - and, before they know it, Nico is gone. After a period of mourning, Maia begins to open up to the world again: she adopts a kitten, makes a
Michelle
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This book follows a friendship of Maria and Nico who are inseparable best friends. Until one day, Nico's dad announces that they'll have to move away for a bit, this makes Maria very sad. As the days go by, Maria misses Nico and wishes that he'd come home. With time, Maria finds new friends and new hobbies that makes her happy. Maria is afraid that when Nico comes back, there won't be room in her life for him. However, when Nico arrives him, Maria realizes that there will always be room in her h ...more
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet little story about loss and friendship. Losing friends because parents have to move is very common way to lose a friend, this is a good book to explain that friendship can continue, even over distances. The nice thing about this book is that Nico returns, which, most of the time, doesn't happen. So, it does give hope to children who read this, that there is an end in sight.

The only complaint I have about this book is that Nico was drawn with blue skin, and on the cover he is hold
« previous 1 3 next »