Start by marking “The Storm” as Want to Read:
The Storm

The Storm

As this picture book begins, a little boy is excited about a trip to the beach with his parents planned for the following day. But a bad storm is coming, and he has started to worry they won't be able to go. He watches as the sky grows darker through the afternoon. His mother and father close the shutters and bring the potted plants indoors. Then the storm arrives. All thr ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by Kids Can Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Storm

Sue
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another picture book by the author of The Tea Party in the Woods which I read previously, this book shares the same well-done charcoal drawings that are so expressive and also delicate. Almost the entire book is rendered in shades of black and white, with only moments of color, used well and meaningfully. This story deals with childhood fears and disappointment presented through one boy's concern for an upcoming storm. What harm will it cause? And will it prevent his longed for day at the beach? ...more
Abigail
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Akiko Miyakoshi Fans / Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Storms and/or Dreams
When a summer storm descends upon his neighborhood one evening, the young boy in this lovely picture-book worries that it will prevent his family from heading to the beach on the following day. His dreams that night are dominated by a massive ship that sails through the storm and into clearer skies. When the boy awakens, he finds the storm has passed and that it is the perfect day for the beach...

Originally published in Japan in 2009, and then in this English edition in 2016, The Storm was autho
Jen
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a gentle read with beautiful artwork. I loved the way the rain was depicted in the charcoal. The story was simple and direct. My favorite part was the cat included in almost every scene of the book. The ending was bright and beautiful and made complete artistic sense. I would recommend this as a picture book for children, ages 4-7, depending on the reading ability of the child. Four solid stars.

My thanks to NetGalley and Kids Can Press for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.
Sandra
This is the story of a boy who sees his perfect plan of going to the beach on Saturday at risk because of a severe and scary storm on the previous afternoon. His relief is immense when he wakes up and finds a perfect weather waiting for him.

Although the illustrations get a 5 stars, the plot is pretty plain. Not too much is going on in this story. As I said, the pictures in charcoal are fantastic, the sense of the storm so well represented. When the good weather finally comes, and the blue sky ap
Yasamin Seifaee
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: english, 2016, netgalley
this graphic novel is about a boy who had planned all week to go to the beach with his parents in the weekend. but then there's a storm coming and the boy worries about his plan. and when he wakes up he sees that the weather is great and he can to the beach as planned!

i really liked the illustrations! specially when at the end the colour blue is in contrast with charcoal and it makes a beautiful picture! :) and the story was simple and i liked it!

I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley
Hilary
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking for stories about the weather
Recommended to Hilary by: Abigail
A boy comes home from school on Friday and he looking forward to a trip to the beach the next day with his parents. A storm comes and his day out threatened. It's no big deal to the grown ups who explain they can always go next weekend but it matters to the boy.

I do love this author's art work but I'm not so keen on the cartoon faces in the detailed and realistic drawings. I didn't enjoy this one anywhere near as much as The Tea Party in the Woods or The Way Home in the Night but it's still an e
KC
Imagination takes over when a boy misses out on going to the beach due to a big storm.
Donalyn
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stunning illustrations!
Edward Sullivan
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Disappointed that a storm cancels a highly anticipated trip to the beach, the boy uses his imagination to get through the stormy night. An evocative story with minimal text leaving the stunning charcoal illustrations to mostly tell the tale.
Danielle
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quietly captivating.
Kirsty
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Review coming closer to publication date.
The story itself is just okay, the illustrations, though they fit the mood of the story well, are dim and dark and hard to interpret.
Shelley
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a sweet story of a child who has been promised a trip to the beach but a storm has come and the weather may not be good enough to go. We've all been through an experience like this, when we cannot predict how long a storm will last and whether or not it will force us to cancel our plans. It's about the frustration of waiting out the storm and a bit about the scariness of a storm but the child is not very frightened or anxious, just goes to sleep and dreams a way out of the storm...
Polenth Blake
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A boy plans to go to the beach with his parents the next day, but a storm is approaching. As he sleeps through the storm, he dreams of a giant airship blowing it away... but will the storm still be there when he wakes up?

The art is what makes this book. It has detailed charcoal pictures filling the pages. Most of the art is black and white, apart from a hint of blue near the end. The feeling of the characters is captured perfectly. I especially liked the boy's cat, who appears in many of the sce
Soudha
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read-books
This is a lovely little book with another set of beautiful charcoal illustrations by the very talented Akiko Miyakoshi. This is the second book by her that I've read and reviewed now and at this point, I do consider myself a fan of her art.

The shades of black and grey of the charcoal drawings perfectly illustrate the storm and the harrowing feelings it brings to our young main character, who is both dejected by the failed plans to go to the beach and a little scared by the oncoming storm. The on
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
The boy is excited for his trip to the beach. He's been waiting all week. But before he even gets home for school, a big storm rolls in. The boy isn't happy abaout it at all. While his parents bring in the potted plants and shutter the windows, he mopes. The storm rages so he goes to bed and dreams of how he can make the storm go away.

This is another lovely little story richly illustrated with charcoal. The dark hues and textures really bring out the ferocity of the storm clouds. I honestly was
Kirjapallo
The pictures get a lot of praise here, but I think they are far too dark and blurry for children's tastes. I also didn't like the facial expressions, because a few of them are quite scary. The boy also has almost exactly identical (annoying) expression in both kitchen scenes even though there's only one spread between them.

Plus I found the whole "problem" quite silly: storms usually pass quite quickly, so why worry the next day already? Why didn't anyone tell him the weather might still change i
Iz
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I got a copy from NetGalley for review.

Super adorable, although there was nothing special about the plot. Simple plots are very welcome, but this one was just too plain.

The artwork was really good and I can definitely see children loving this.
Rainey
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Storm is a simple story- a coming storm threatens the potential for a planned day at the beach. But the art lifts and expands the story through depictions of the beauty and hopefulness of a child's imagination. Miyakoshi's offering would make a great rainy day read.
Emily Scheinman
Love the illustrations and the portrayal of emotions on each page
Tina
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another good early read from netgalley.com.
Michael Fitzgerald
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice enough, but nothing special. I was disappointed.
HueL
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book by Akiko Miyakoshi. I have been following books of this author for quite a while.

The story is about a child who is eager to go to the beach on Sunday, while experiencing storm beginning one day before that. The tempo of this book is perfect, and especially great for a quite reading. The meaning of the book is straightforward and easy to grasp for kids -- something beautiful is always worth waiting. There could be hard times while people are anticipating something, and that
Katherine
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
A boy wants to go to the beach but an upcoming storm threatens to derail his plans. During the storm, the boy dreams that he is a captain of the ship riding the winds of the storm. When morning comes, sunshine breaks through and the day is clear. This picture book, though pretty to look at, was boring and did not have an overarching lesson or theme. I would not recommend it except as a secondary choice.
Luisa Knight
I loved the black and white illustrations!

Ages: 3 - 7

Cleanliness: a child is mopey because a pending storm might ruin his day at the beach.

#spring #rain

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Lynn  Davidson
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young boy is eagerly looking forward to going to the beach with his parents the next day, but a bad storm blows in late in the day and overnight. He is nervous and also worried that they won't be able to go to the beach. That night he hides in his bed and imagines - then dreams being able to send away the storm. Wonderful illustrations.
Christine
I picked this up on a whim from the library, hoping it would be a good one to read with my son considering all the rain and storms we've had this spring/summer. The artwork is lovely and I do think it helps make storms seem a bit less scary for my kiddo. (And there's the beach and a cat and a boat, so this one has been requested even more than I had anticipated!)
Kelly
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite part of the book are the illustrations, which are beautiful! And the story is creative and imaginative. A boy is excited about his trip to the beach, which may not happen due to a pending storm.
Molly
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This charcoal picture book takes us through a storm that threatens the narrator's trip to the beach with his parents the next day. The splash of blue at the very end reminds me of a story I once drew.
Goshen PL Childrens

• The Troublemaker
  • My Heart Is Laughing
  • Rain
  • Tree: A Peek-Through Picture Book
Akiko Miyakoshi (1982–) was born in Saitama Prefecture, and graduated from the Department of Visual Communication Design at Musashino Art University. Her picture book Taifū ga kuru (Typhoon Comes) won the Nissan Children’s Storybook and Picture Book Grand Prix in 2009, and her Mori no oku no ochakai e (The Tea Party in the Woods) garnered the Japan Picture Book Awards Grand Prize in 2011. Her othe ...more