Start by marking “Mercury Heat, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Mercury Heat, Volume 1

Mercury Heat, Volume 1

(Mercury Heat #1-6)

Kieron Gillen blasts into an all new epic sci-fi series, Mercury Heat! Over the last few years, Gillen's work has gained a massive following from titles like Uber, The Wicked and the Divine, and Iron Man. Now he takes you to Mercury, a slow turning planet where you can outrun the sunrise along with the blistering heat it brings. This is the new frontier of space, where hum ...more
Published March 22nd 2016 by Avatar Press

GrilledCheeseSamurai
Mercury Heat.

The comic story that doesn't give a fuck if you know what's going on or not.

This first volume is 6 issues long and it wasn't until issue 4 or so where things started to click into place. Why was the main character the way she was? Why was she doing what she was doing? All that important stuff that attaches a reader to a story are all non-existent until over half way through the arc.

By the time it all started to come together I had already kind of lost interest. I ended up reading al
Marco
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Solid non-space opera SF miniseries that requires some previous understanding of a number of tropes to follow as it does not generally explain the worldbuilding behind the setting. It actually helps to read the author's afterword/setting notes.

The main character is not completely unlikeable despite being a 57B (which is part of the story and only gets explained later in the book), but I can't really follow the bad guys' motivation here.
(Environmentalism and anti-colonialism I get. But not as ap
Jason Scott
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The artwork on the second half is way better than the first half.

reading the author's back matter makes the book more interesting, seeing that this is a early 00s cyberpunk pastiche.

some of the sci-fi ideas are cool (emotional contraceptives, psych tests determining job suitability, everyone is freelance), but I'm not sure if there's enough there for a series.

I didn't really get the sense of a strong female lead from this... she came across more as one dimensional eye candy.

The female characters
Simon
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty decent sci-fi tale, with some nice new ideas.

Didn't see the Judge Dredd comparison. But. Still good.
John Utech
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well worth a read. Good enough I'll be looking for the second trade paper back. Not quite good enough to make me read it monthly.
Ramon
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting worldbuilding, interesting character. File under "fun ultraviolence," with a brain.
Book
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
In general I am not a fan of graphic novels, but having read this novel, I have to admit I have changed my mind. I actually bought this book as a gift for another person, but I read it before I passed the gift onwards. What a treat this graphic novel is, a story line about a Cop sent to the planet Mercury, a story full of good idea’s, intense action, mystery, suspense, The creators have given the lead character cop “Luiza Bora” some indepth characteristics which work and bond well within the sto ...more
Ryan Viergutz
HUH OKAY this story was different than I expected.

Somehow I expected a rip-roaring space opera out of this. Instead I got a hard-edged blood-and-gore sociopathic-POV cyberpunk story set on Mercury.

Hard science involving running from the Mercurial heat, conflict over colonisation, hints at how incredibly godawful Earth has become in the past couple hundred years, hints at the colonisation of the Earth's /Moon/, personality mapping and life selection, and memory deletion.

The end is appropriately c
Alex Sarll
Gillen has always acknowledged Warren Ellis' influence on his comics career, though for me the apprentice long since outstripped the master. The connection has seldom been more obvious than here, with a long-gestating project about a badass female cop who isn't *quite* a sociopath, but close enough that she can only get hired in the frontier environment of Mercury, now the solar generating station saving humanity from an energy crisis. The similarity even extends to the plot going a little too h ...more
Loki
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kieron Gillen dips his toe in futurist science fiction, and the results are interesting. I don't feel like this entirely coheres, but then again, it's only the first arc. It's got a few rough edges here and there (like the less than completely digested Warren Ellis influence), but it's also got a lot of potential. I'll be back for volume two.
Galaxy
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the concepts in Mercury Heat, but the art and some of the dialogue was just too overly sexual for my tastes and didn't add anything to the storyline.
James
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comicbooks
Good story, artwork a bit crude. Interesting use of technology and a possible path that humanity could take in the future.
Alexander Vorontsov
May 02, 2016
Willow
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: other-comics
Great story the art isn't distinctive in any real way. Photorealistic faces and standard giant boobs and muscles you can expect from 99% of super hero comics these days.
André
Apr 16, 2016
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

Mercury Heat (2 books)