Start by marking “The Black Cat Knocks on Wood (A Bad Luck Cat Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Cat Knocks on Wood (A Bad Luck Cat Mystery #2)

The Black Cat Knocks on Wood

(A Bad Luck Cat Mystery #2)

The author of Black Cat Crossing is back as mystery novelist Sabrina Tate and her cat Hitchcock find themselves roped into another dangerous murder case...

Sabrina finds it difficult to work on her latest suspense novel when her Aunt Rowe’s antics keep tying up her thoughts. This time Rowe and her fun-loving friends have decided to compete in the upcoming Texas Hill
Published June 7th 2016 by Berkley

Start your review of The Black Cat Knocks on Wood (A Bad Luck Cat Mystery #2)
Julie
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing

The mystery is very intelligent, puzzling, and kept me guessing all the way to the end. I love the characters in the story, especially Aunt Rowe, who is an inspiration, even if she is roping goats, a topic Sabrina and I happen to agree on.
I appreciate the focus the author puts on the stigma associated with black cats and her wry humor when addressing silly superstitions.
I believe Hitchcock and Sabrina make a wonderful detective team and can’t wait read about their next big case.

This review is
Juli
This story had me chuckling out loud several times while reading. In this second book in the Bad Luck Cat Mystery series, Hitchcock (the lovely black cat) is seen at the scene of yet another murder, senior citizens are trying their hands at rodeo roping, and Sabrina Tate finds herself doing a bit of amateur sleuthing to clear her cat's name....again. This series is always entertaining!

I love all the quirky side characters in this series. Aunt Rowe is always up to something....this time it's
Dawn Frazier
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book! I adore Hitchcock the cat, and can't wait for the next book!
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fun adventure in Lavender with Sabrina and Hitchcock. This series has become one of my favourites.
Kirsti
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the series, and one I've been wanting to read for a while. I did enjoy it, but I felt like the ending was a bit rushed and ultimately the suspect was sketchy as the entire book so I knocked it down a star for those things. I love the settings and the characters, especially Hitchcock and Rowe. Rita might end up to be more interesting too as well, with that tidbit in the ending.

Overall this had some interesting parts and the murder itself was interesting and different
Betty
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats, arc, e-books, cozy
Sabrina is busy writing her second novel when a good friend asks her to accompany her to see an unusual movement across the street. They a find the body of a dislike real estate owner. Her friend insists that Hitchcock was there that morning and is responsible for the death. Aunt Rowe and friends plan to take part in a senior rope catching event at the local rodeo. Sabrina investigates to clear Hitchcock's who is learning to walk on a leash.

Disclosure: I received a free copy from Berkley
Clare O'Beara
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: america-crime, cats
A black cat named Hitchcock is suspected by some of causing bad luck, so his owner tries to keep an eye on him. Almost every page has her looking for Hitchcock or shows him walking across a scene. The tale is set in Texas where a local rodeo is being held - in July's heat - and the good folks around town are amused by a lady author telling them she hopes it's a cruelty free rodeo. She's also trying to find adopters for cats.

One resident is found dead under a pile of fallen bricks in a crumbling
Randee
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super, super cute cozy, second in the series (so far) of Hitchcock, the 'good' luck black cat and his human, Sabrina. I loved the first one and I loved this one even more. At first, I thought I wouldn't like this so much because I thought it would revolve around a rodeo. I think rodeos may possibly be the most boring 'entertainment' ever created but not to fear...the backdrop of the rodeo came up very little and it was full speed ahead with Sabrina and Hitchcock getting involved in solving a ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
It is Rodeo time in Lavender, Texas and Sabrina Tate's aunt and friends are off to rope goats.

Sabrina is excited by her book being vetted by a large publishing house, but how can she concentrate upon edits when there is a murder in town and Aunt Rowe's friend, Pearl is suspect number one?

Sending texts that she didn't, and finding the body, plus the tiny thing that she was sending voice mails and yelling vile words at the victim over property Pearl felt was stolen from her...yup, a suspect
Linda Smatzny
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Mystery set in the hill country of Texas. The main character is Sabrina who is living at her aunt's place while she finishes her second novel. Sabrina has a black cat, Hitchcock, who seems to understand or know beforehand when things are happening. Sabrina has to investigate a murder because the main suspect is her aunt's best friend. The book was a quick easy read.
Johnna
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun series. The "senior" members of the cast are so much fun!
Sapphyria
Sabrina and Hitchcock are back in a book full of new adventures. While she is supposed to be writing a novel, Sabrina finds herself constantly distracted. First, Aunt Rowe gathers three friends and enters Lavender's Senior Pro Rodeo. None of the women have any experience, making Sabrina extremely nervous and uncomfortable. Keeping track of the rodeo's newest group of seniors is taxing to Sabrina. Second, an unexpected guest checks into one of the cottages at Aunt Rowe's. Sabrina thought she left ...more
Trish
Lots of potential. I like the quirky characters, although this particular book got a little repetitive in places.
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Black cats are unlucky? Maybe for some, but certainly not for author Kay Finch or her readers!

Cat cozy fans are going to be thrilled with this second book in the Bad Luck Cat Mysteries, but you certainly don’t have to be a cat lover to enjoy this wonderful tale.

My return trip to Lavender was just as exciting as my first. With murder, seniors (as in citizens) rodeo, and paranoid fear over an innocent black cat…how could it not be?

THE BLACK CAT KNOCKS ON WOOD was a wonderful mystery. Writer
Raven
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I have mixed feelings about this book. It's a quick, fun cozy mystery and Hitchcock the black cat is a great character. I was a bit put off by Sabrina's rude / confrontational attitude and I don't recall the first book in this series being that way. I also thought some of the underlying themes needed more consistency: her reasons for being involved in solving the murder kept changing, and her anti-rodeo animal welfare opinion versus toting (literally) Hitchcock around town on a hot summer day or ...more
Paula Adams
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book better than the first one in the series. I hope there is a 3rd book.

I have a black cat. Shelters have a hard time getting them adopted because people are so superstitious. I saw online this shelter was begging people to adopt a black cat so I had my husband drive me and they had 3 of them in a kitty playroom. This one came over and sat down next to me and let me pet him for the longest time. So naturally I took him home.
Susan W
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-2016
I'm so glad I'm in the minority with my review on "The Black Cat Knocks on Wood." As a newspaper journalist who has done several investigative-length pieces, I know the blood, sweat and tears that goes into putting words together. Also, as a journalist, I have to be honest. Here is my review that appeared in the Daily Republic:

Regan
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Decent second book to the series. I never really related to the characters but loved Hitchcock -- especially his part at the very end.
Brenda Rezk
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the series. When I saw something about a rodeo in this one, I wasn't sure I would like it, but the book was fun after all. I kind of felt that the author was speaking to the reader from first-hand experience when our fictional author-protagonist, Sabrina, claims she is researching the rodeo for her next book, because her editor or publisher suggested she might include a rodeo, as the book is set in Texas.

The characters in this series have interesting, unique
OpenBookSociety.com

Author’s website: http://www.kayfinch.com/
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

Synopsis:

Corinne
The story was entertaining, the narrator of the audiobook was good, and black cats rule!

I didn't like Sabrina because she was (in no particular order):
judgmental, opinionated, confrontational, seriously gossipy, bossy, superior-acting, intrusive questioner, suspicious, and stubborn.

I love black cats and there are two in my family. However, I don't carry on conversations with them, expect them to understand most of what I say, or expect them to take action when something goes wrong with me or
Helen
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Set in the Hill Country of Texas in a town with the unlikely name of Lavender ( in Texas??? Lavender is grown in the Hill Country, but a town named Lavender, really???), aspiring writer Sabrina reluctantly finds herself draw in the the murder of a much disliked real estate agent. A rodeo, goat tying, barrel racing, a bull named named Rambo—-all in the plot, Then there is black cat Hitchcock who saves the day. An entertaining cozy mystery.
Sherry
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Worthwhile Read!

This series keeps getting better & better. Hitchcock, the black cat, is very intuitive, helping Sabrina with clues & rescues. There are lots of red-herrings & plot twists to keep the reader guessing. The relationship between Sabrina & Game Warden Luke Griffin is evolving slowly, but nicely. Humor is provided by Sabrina's feisty Aunt Rowe. This is an entertaining whodunnit!
Jane Irish Nelson
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, contemporary
3.5 stars. When Sabrina's aunt Rowe and her friends decide to compete in a rodeo, Sabrina is worried. Not just for the health of women. but also because she thinks rodeos constitute cruelty to animals. But the women persist. Then Pearl, who owns the local candy shop, becomes the prime suspect when a real estate agent and killed, and she is first on the scene. Naturally Sabrina becomes involved in trying to clear Pearl, despite needing to get on with the book she is writing. Enjoyable.
Sherrie
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Sabrina and her cat Hitchcock are looking into who actually killed the well known realtor. in the meantime it is looking more like Luke is becoming more of a boyfriend which is what helps Sabrina. On top of that she now needs to really work on her book because she already has edits from her publisher and so that is looking good. In the meantime she is trying to keep her Aunt out of doing the Rodeo with Goats because she is worried that the Goat will lasso her Aunt.
Judith
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a bad luck cat!

I really enjoyed this cozy mystery set in a small hill country town reminiscent of Fredericksburg or Blanco. Of course, the cat, Hitchcock, has subtle abilities and personality that make the book. Highly recommended. Have not tried the recipes yet to see if they compare favorably to the Murder She Baked series.
Rebecca
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This second book continues to amuse and intrigue. There are hints that the cat may be more than he appears, but...we don't know. There are hints that the protagonist may be more than she appears, but...we don't know. And I haven't been able to figure out whodunnit in the first 50 pages of either book. I'm a happy camper.

OH...MORE good recipes!
Chrystine
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Found Sabrina less annoying this time around. At least when she was completely hysterical and delusional she recognized it. As a cat owner not quite sure about the “fear” that Hitchcock can’t take care of himself. If cats are known for one thing it’s independence. Ending and motive were a bit skimpy. Really enjoying the character development throughout.
Peggy
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love cozy mystries but I could not get into the black cat, it looks like Finch is a good writing, but this book was so much about Hitchock getting out and being bad luck, it didn't really have a direction. I didn't even finish the book, I could not take it anymore.
Pamela Tracy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozyparanormals
This one I did guess whodunit, but I thought the mystery was well plotted.

Author did a great job and I'll soon get the third one :)

The cat plotline keeps getting better.

I want the cops to be smarter.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Fast and the Furriest (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #5)
  • Telling Tails (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #4)
  • Death in Dark Blue (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #2)
  • Buy a Whisker (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #2)
  • Booking the Crook (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery #7)
  • Chocolate a la Murder (A Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum Mystery Book 4)
  • A Whisker of Trouble (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #3)
  • Paws and Effect (A Magical Cats Mystery, #8)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • Escape Claws (Cat Lady Mysteries #1)
  • A Midwinter's Tail (A Magical Cats Mystery, #6)
  • Faux Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #7)
  • A Dark and Stormy Murder (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Kitties (A Magical Cats Mystery, #9)
  • No Escape Claws (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #6)
  • Ghost of a Potion (A Magic Potion Mystery, #3)
  • A Dark and Twisting Path (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #3)
  • Pressed to Death (Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum #2)
Kay Finch is a Pennsylvania native but, as her husband likes to say, she got to Texas as fast as she could. She has worked as a legal assistant in Houston for the past seventeen years, beginning in the criminal law arena at Richard 'Racehorse' Haynes' firm before turning to a specialization in family law.

Series:
* Corie McKenna Mystery

A Bad Luck Cat Mystery (4 books)
  • Black Cat Crossing  (A Bad Luck Cat Mystery #1)
  • The Black Cat Sees His Shadow (A Bad Luck Cat Mystery #3)
  • The Black Cat Steps on a Crack (A Bad Luck Cat Mystery #4)