Start by marking “The Art of Disney's Dragons” as Want to Read:
The Art of Disney's Dragons

The Art of Disney's Dragons

Throughout time and across cultures, dragons have existed as part of our collective imagination, breathing fire, guarding treasure, and embodying magic. Some are evil, some are kind, and all are fascinating. The Walt Disney Company has had a long-standing fascination with dragons, and this book, conceived as a sketchbook handed down through generations of Disney artists, c ...more
Published June 28th 2016 by Disney Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Disney's Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Disney's Dragons

Nicole
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like this book. My only complaint is that it was tedious flipping to the back of the book for the description of each and every piece of art. (Which I did. For every. Single. Page.) I appreciate having the full-page artwork, but I also would have appreciated having captions of the pieces on the same page as the art. It could have gone into more detail too, though I would have been happy with just not having to flip back and forth.
David Edmonds
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, disney, art-book, fantasy
A beautifully presented sketchbook of drawings and illustrations showing the creative process of creating various dragons from Disney's film history. A fantastic addition to any Disney art history collection.
George Taylor
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A superb book all about Disney's dragons. It's presented like a sketchbook that's been handed down throughout the years. Various artists have left their mark with the evolution of the Disney dragon.

Art fans are going to love it.
Christina
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, disney
2.5 stars. Beautiful production quality, but the content felt thin to me. There's a great introduction by character designer Tom Bancroft who was the supervising animator for Mushu from Mulan about the process of developing a character artistically, but the rest of the content is just concept art of various Disney dragons from movies, shorts, and attractions, usually just a page or two per character. There are very brief endnotes, essentially credits stating character, movie/attraction, medium, ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A must have for fans of Disney's dragons. This collection of art features Disney dragons, both good and bad, through the years. It's a collection of sketches, and illustrations, making it a must have for Disney fans of all ages, as well as Disney art fans. Plus, dragons! I loved getting a look through the years at all of the various dragons Disney has used for both their movies, and their stories.

Some illustrations featured in the book may be a little scary for younger kids.

L.T. Getty
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars for the beautiful art. Disney's character design is almost always top notch.

Could have been a size bigger to accommodate some of the pictures, as well I would have liked more write ups on the art.
Fyre.Katz
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty Dragons
Lama Alnaama
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend it. Great short book to get inspired.
Kari
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great visual resource and fun history of Disney's dragon art history. Gorgeous full color illustrations and rarely seen sketches.
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

The Art of Disney's Dragons is one of the most beautiful compilations of artwork I've ever seen. Disney nerd that I am I was most excited to review this one! Of course it presents its own challenge since it's basically a collection of artwork.

David Lowery, the director of the new live-action, Pete's Dragon, gives a nice foreword about dragons in general and the evolution of them
Craig Yoshihara
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: disney, favorites
Who is your favorite Disney dragon? For me, Maleficent comes to mind immediately. She is probably one of the fiercest dragons to be sure, but Disney has a long history with the reptile-like creatures with wings. Disney dragons come in all sizes and shapes, not to mention personalities as varied as the day is long. There are funny ones, fierce ones, animated ones, CGI ones, black ones, red ones, and even purple ones (if you count Figment)!

But before they get to the screen or into a theme park, th
Kate
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ever wonder where Disney's dragons start and end in their design process? This shows how these mythical creatures go through beginning concepts to more refined character expression sheets. Also it shows an array of mediums in both 2D and 3D art. I won't lie The Black Cauldron's dragon/wyvern minions would have been even scarier had they gone with those earlier sketches. A pity they didn't stick to the book trilogy closer as that is often a forgotten Disney movie. It could have been superbly epic ...more
Daniel Perlino
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Art and Disney Lovers
Some more inspiring and imaginative artwork has made its way out of the Disney Vault! This is mainly a book filled with pictures. There is a forward and an introduction as well as notes on the pictures in the back, but a little more commentary would have been welcome. A good read for anyone who wants to flip through (and hopefully be inspired by) the pages of a book filled with pictures of (Disneyfied) Dragons.
Catherine
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
he book is basically a sketch book for readers to browse through with a forward and an introduction by Disney artists. The illustrations range from full color double page spreads, to concept art and preliminary sketches. Films referenced include Mulan, Sleeping Beauty, and Pete’s Dragon among other Disney films. This would be useful to anyone interested in film animation.
Carlos