Start by marking “1 Big Salad: A Delicious Counting Book” as Want to Read:
1 Big Salad: A Delicious Counting Book

1 Big Salad: A Delicious Counting Book

Juana Medina's ingenious illustrations nearly pop off the page in her new counting book, ONE BIG SALAD. One avocado deer saunters across the spread, two radish mice scurry by, until finally ten watercress seahorses swim onto the scene - all of the ingredients in one big salad!

Medina's previous book with Viking, SMICK!, introduced her to the children's book world, and now s
Published June 7th 2016 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about 1 Big Salad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1 Big Salad

Sara Grochowski
One of my favorite picture books of Summer 2016. At first glance, this is a fun counting book. Different vegetables, fruits, and even nuts are scattered over pages, then doodled over to create sweet and simple animals, increasing in number as the book progresses. The book also introduces little readers to a variety of different healthy ingredients, like radishes, cucumbers, and romaine. Combine all of these elements - radicchio lions to clementine kitties - and you'll find yourself with "one big ...more
Viviane Elbee
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This counting book doubles as a recipe for salad and young chefs can help you prepare this salad.

We really enjoyed the illustrations though, and the kids had lots of comments about how the vegetables looked like different animals. They also sometimes suggested other animals that the vegetable could have been - for example, they felt carrots could have been giraffes, and turned into long necks.

Very quick read, perfect for toddlers & preschoolers. Young elementary students might enjoy it too,
Jessica
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A picture book that integrates photos of vegetables with thick bold lines to create animals? Yes please. The combination of whimsical illustrations, simple text, and the concept of counting has convinced me to use this title in toddler storytime.
Roben
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a cute and creative book about making a salad. Each element of the salad becomes an animal. We start with one avocado deer and end with ten mandarin orange slice cats. My favorite is the eight walnut birds though. And the author even provides a recipe for salad dressing at the end. I thought this was clever. Toddlers would enjoy it as a read-aloud though I'm not sure the pictures would be clear enough to see in a storytime setting. A fun way to count and encourage eating salad!
June
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: counting and vegetable requests
A simple counting book for all those vegetable requests. Might intrigue a picky or skeptical eater into trying a salad since all the parts of the salad are drawn to be various animals...

Used in lap time since mail delivery was suspended for the Holiday weekend and it went over fairly well.
KC
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 123-s
A delightful mix of photographs of fruit and vegetables and simple illustrations that will certainly encourage the most picky eater to eat healthier.
Audrey
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
fun way to count and talk about healthy food. the illustrations are fun, h liked the 10 clementine kitties and the 6 cucumber alligators
Emily Scheinman
One of my favorite picture books of 2016 for preschool and lower elementary. Will inspire high does of laughter and creativity.
Alice
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 stars The food concept, cute, the photography was fun, are kids going to love this book? not sure, but it sure makes me want some avocado!
Alyssa Kleiner
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Title: 1 Big Salad
Author and Illustrator: Juana Medina
Genre: Counting Book
Theme(s): Counting, Food, Animals, Picture Book
Opening line/sentence: 1 one avocado deer, 2 two radish mice, 3 three pepper monkeys, 4 four carrot
horses…
Brief Book Summary: This book is a counting book using a combination of food and drawing to form
an animal, each time growing in number for the child to count.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
• Amy Seto Forrester (School Library Journal)
Mama Bibliosoph
When I first flipped through 1 Big Salad, I was skeptical. Sure, it has an ingenious premise for a concept counting book; photos of salad ingredients are digitally incorporated with illustrated elements to form whimsical animals! Five Tomato Turtles? Hilarious! Six Cucumber Alligators? Brilliant! ...But radicchio or radishes? Those are some pretty obscure vegetables for a little kid.

But the concept won in the end. My sons are intrigued enough by the "Nine Romaine Dogs" that they humor me when I
Isaac (isaacthebookkeeper)
1 Big Salad: A Delicious Counting Book by Juana Medina is a delightful picture book that tastefully combines animal drawings, counting, fruits, and vegetables!! Readers will not only learn to count while being introduced to a variety of healthy fruits and vegetables, but they will undoubtedly enjoy how the author/illustrator uniquely transforms the fresh produce into absolutely adorable animal renderings. For example, there are two cute “radish mice” and seven cunning “radicchio lions”!! I also ...more
Megan Garrison
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Copyright- 2016
Number of Pages-22
Book format-hardcover, paper
Reading Level-PreK-2
Genre- Fiction
Lit. Requirement- Counting Book-1

This was a fun counting book! It was a counting book up to 10 using vegetables and fruits with animals. Each number was paired with a animal and food such as, "One avocado deer". All of the drawing were black and looked sketched like stick figures. The background on every page was white and the only color was from the food and the black from the animals. Also all of the
Ames Public Library Youth Services
In this book, Medina takes real pictures of delicious salad ingredients and makes them into animals, whether it's one avocado deer or five tomato turtles. The photographs are yummy looking and the doodles are hilarious, with tons of white space so that the drawings and salad ingredients shine. This would be a great way to introduce some new foods to children (and adults).

In the end, all the ingredients have lost their doodles and they are instead in a beautiful bowl of salad. Keep reading to the
Jo Oehrlein
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: math, picture-books
Count 1-10 using the contents of one big salad.

Each page shows the number word, the number, and then objects made from photos of the salad fixings with "additions" made in black sharpie.

So, we have one avocado deer, where the deer is drawn around the avocado head and two radish mice where the radishes are the mouse bodies.

Not a fan of the 6 crocodile page because there are 2 slices of cucumber on every crocodile, so it confuses the numbers a bit.
Jim Erekson
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
As a preschool concept book, I enjoyed her play with the shapes of the food by drawing pictures on the images of foods. She didn't go with really obvious shapes for many of the animals--I thought the horses and alligators were hilarious! I was also pulled in by how the images were arranged randomly on white. A nice counting book.
Laura Giessler
I like 2 things best about the possibilities for this book: 1) prediction--once you get the number + veggie + animal pattern (not entirely consistent), emergent readers can predict the text; and 2) Young writers and illustrators can use this as a mentor text to write and draw their own books/pages.
Emily Lisowski
A super cute and clever idea for a book. Not only does it teach counting by adding ingredients to a salad. It also introduces the concept of both animals and vegetables as well. A very enjoyable and also educational book to use in the classroom.
Pat Mills
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Delicious looking. The single ink line drawing additions are clever and creative and add life and personality. This is what Picture Book synergy is all about. Essential in daycares and drawing classes everywhere.
Annie Watkins
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute book but that salad looks disgusting.
Kelly
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a counting book that incorporates photographs of various salad ingredients with drawings to tell the story.
Michelle
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perfect for babies
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Counting from 1 to 10, vegetables/animals add up to one big salad. Great way to inspire young readers to see things in a creative way.
Peter
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable use of photos and drawings.
Kristin Nelson
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun book that turns veggies, fruits, and walnuts into animals with a few strokes of the pen. The PreK liked it and many of them chose to read it again on their own.
Ashley
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs642
This book is a concept boy. This book teaches the concepts of counting. I thought the illustrations were exceptional in 1 Big Salad.
Katie
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute. I've seen this on recommended storytime lists, but I'm not sure I could make it work for my style. Might be worth a try, though.
Karen
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Poorly written.
Fantastic illustrations and simple counting - a great read aloud for story time!
MBC
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Neil (at 22 months) is CRAZY about this book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Is That Wise, Pig?
  • 8: An Animal Alphabet
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Pretty Kitty
  • Ten Pigs: An Epic Bath Adventure
  • The Farmer's Away! Baa! Neigh!
  • Escargot
  • Edible Colors
  • 5 Little Ducks
  • I Just Want to Say Good Night
  • Baby Goes to Market
  • Goodnight, Numbers
  • Do Cows Meow?
Juana Medina was born and raised in Bogotá, Colombia. She is the illustrator of Smick! by Doreen Cronin and the author-illustrator of One Big Salad. Juana Medina has studied and taught at the Rhode Island School of Design and now teaches at the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design at George Washington University. She lives in Washington, D.C.