Start by marking “Salad Pie” as Want to Read:
Salad Pie

Salad Pie

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
There is nothing sweeter than arriving at the playground, seeing it empty, and knowing you have it all to yourself--the silent comfort of playing alone.

Maggie is overjoyed to have that solitude to make her Salad Pie. But then Herbert saunters over and wants to play too.

"I'm making salad. Salad Pie. And don't you touch it!"

Herbert just wants to help, even though Maggie make
Published March 1st 2016 by Ripple Grove Press

To ask other readers questions about Salad Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salad Pie

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cybils nominee for Best Fiction Picture Book 2o16.
Meredith
May 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mock-caldecott
I am all for getting along, but I'm not sure why Herbert kept trying to play with Maggie when she was being so rude to him. I was glad when she fell down. Too bad he caught her.
Diana Murray
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet friendship story! I love the building of tension throughout and I think all kids will relate to the difficulties of making a new friend. The issue is presented in a very realistic way that immediately piqued my daughter's interest. I also love how rhythmic the text is, with some fun singing incorporated. This book is sure to inspire outdoor play (as soon as it gets nice out!). The illustrations are warm and appealing. I think this book would appeal to fans of Ladybug Girl
Terry
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Salad Pie is the story of an imaginative little girl with attitude. Though she's stubborn, Maggie learns that sometimes we all need a friend. Her actions offer some teachable opportunities to address friendship and bullying.
The repetitive, cute Salad Pie sing-song is engaging for both listener and reader.
Pamela Beckford
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this children’s picture book. It was not only entertaining, but also had a moral to the story. With a spin on a mud pie and making and trusting a new friend at the same time. The illustrations were absolutely wonderful. Certainly a book to recommend for young children.
Anna
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this story and how she, the main character, realized that Herbert was only trying to help her and be a part of her salad pie making. It took awhile to figure that out and be okay with him helping, but they ended up playing together in the end. When she tripped and fell, spilling her salad pie, Herbert caught both her and the salad pie (which was really cute - made me smile). It was that moment that she realized she didn't mind Herbert being in on the making of the salad pie. Illustration ...more
Kat Harrison
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Warning: don't try this at home! "Salad Pie" is a quirky playground ode that walks the nimble line between imagination and burgeoning friendship. Maggie and Herbert, the odd couple in question, don't initially bond over Maggie's self-made creative of clovers and crabapples. But through lending a helping hand, Herbert is let into her inner circle. BooydeGraaff's sing-song prose will get stuck in your head in no time.
Maria
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this fun and creative book about what it takes to make a salad pie while playing at the playground. While some enjoy playing, or cooking by themselves, there is inevitably that one person who wants to help. But when things don't go quite the way there were planned, Maggie comes to terms that having someone help isn't always that bad.
Lareesa
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a giveaway! This book is a cute children's book about being flexible and making friends. My son has autism and it reminded me of when he was younger and just kind of did his own thing in his own way. However he eventually learned it was more fun to have a friend. This book really shows this concept in a fun story with great illustrations.
Heather Jo
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Manintheboat
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
This dame is PUSHY. Herbert needs to find himself a nicer gal.
Kate Puleo Unger
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Maggie arrives at the park, she's alone. Perfect! She starts making Salad Pie. When Herbert comes along, he disturbs her peace and quiet, and he tries to help her when she doesn't want help. Eventually she really needs help, and he's there for her. After that the two kids play make believe together and share a delicious Salad Pie. It reminded me of making stew in my backyard growing up. It's a fun story.

Ages 4-6

Diane
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
"When Maggie arrived at the park, it was empty and it was quiet. She smiled. Everything was perfect for making Salad Pie."

While Maggie begins to assemble her Salad Pie, Herbert shows up at the park. He wants to help, but Maggie refuses to let him add to the salad pie. But after the Salad Pie is nearly ruined, Maggie sees the value of Herbert.

A story about learning how to interact with friends.
Kristin
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I understand the excitement of finding a playground empty that you can have to yourself and being disappointed when someone comes along and you have to share the space, but Maggie seemed a bit too mean about sharing the space with Herbert. Although her attitude changes by the end, I found Maggie to be too bratty and rude of a character for me and wonder how that will come across to small children.
Juliana Lee
When Maggie goes to the playground intent on making salad pie, she doesn't plan on sharing. But when Herbert arrives and shows an interest in playing too, Maggie shuts him out. Herbert hangs around and when Maggie gets into trouble, he's right there to lend a hand. Now Maggie and Herbert work together to make salad pie.
Erin
On the benefits of persistence and friendship in the face of rudeness.

Maggie clearly cherishes her alone time and is uncertain of Herbert's friendly overtures. She reacts badly. But Herbert is not put off, and eventually Maggie gets a mildly harsh lesson in accepting help and friendship. The text has a nice rhythm and bounce, and the illustrations do, too.

(Michigan author)
Robin Newman
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Salad Pie, Oh Salad Pie, You Made Me Smile, Salad Pie . . . . This wonderfully sweet story brought me back to my childhood of making mud pies with my sister where we'd add a little of this and a lot of that. Creativity, cooperation, friendship, and fun make this story a winner that I’m sure kids will love.
Erin Whittle
Apr 27, 2016 added it
Shelves: rdng-350
Sue
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A humorous story that encourages imagination and outdoor play and ends with a surprising twist on the value of friendship. This will be a fun one to share with kids! I love creative stories like this -- it's perfect for a child to translate into play.
Sylvia
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
A super fun story about the wonderful mix of friendship and imagination. This brought back many memories of making my own backyard concoctions as well as my daughters' ice cream floats made from playground wood chips.
Traci
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Friendship sometimes has boundaries but friends work past them in this sweet and vibrant picture book.

Written by Wendy BooydeGraaff, illustrated by Bryan Langdo and published by Ripple Grove Press.

#PB #imagination #cooking #friendship
Ms.
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read a preview of this story and seen some of the illustrations and it's fantastic! Kids and adults alike will be entertained by the delightful and imaginative tale. I just pre-ordered the book from Amazon and can't wait to get it!
Miss Sarah
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Maggie is cooking at the playground. She's gathering the ingredients for salad pie but why can't Herbert help? Aren't things better together. Preschool and up for length and humor. Very imaginative.
Stella B.
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite picture books. The writing is so great and the plot is wonderful!
Hannah
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cute story about making new friends.
Shelves: picture-books
What a lovely debut picture book for Wendy BooydeGraaff! The tone and theme are fun and show kids the importance of friends and sharing. Definitely recommend!
Aaliyah
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very cute story about using your imagination, sharing, and being kind to one another! :)
Purple Sneeze
Spectacular book!!
Jessica Smith
Nov 06, 2018
Bambi Pea
Jun 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Mr. Particular: The World’s Choosiest Champion!
  • Inspector Flytrap