Start by marking “The Zen Teacher: Creating Focus, Simplicity, and Tranquility in the Classroom” as Want to Read:
The Zen Teacher: Creating Focus, Simplicity, and Tranquility in the Classroom

The Zen Teacher: Creating Focus, Simplicity, and Tranquility in the Classroom

You can thrive in the classroom. All it takes are a few moments of peace and a little focus. If you're like many teachers, your day is busy, demanding, even chaotic. But just because you live in a fast-paced, always-on world, doesn't mean your life has to feel rushed and crazy. In The Zen Teacher, educator, blogger, and speaker Dan Tricarico provides practical, easy-to-use ...more
Published September 21st 2015 by Dave Burgess Consulting

To ask other readers questions about The Zen Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zen Teacher

Start your review of The Zen Teacher: Creating Focus, Simplicity, and Tranquility in the Classroom
Melinda Bender
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great reminder to create a healthy work-life balance or else you will burn yourself. You need to take care of you first. Anyone could benefit from reading this book, not just teachers. I will be referring back to this book throughout the school year.
Tiffany Painter
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this as a reminder to find tranquility in life rather than just in the classroom.
Rose Prust
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recently, I finished reading The Zen Teacher: Creating Focus, Simplicity, and Tranquility in the Classroom by Dan Tricarico. Tricarico has over twenty years of experience in a high school English classroom and is a blogger.
In The Zen Teacher: Creating Focus, Simplicity, and Tranquility in the Classroom, Tricarico helps teachers across curriculums bring compassion, focus, and calm into the classroom. Laying out the groundwork with the basic principles of zen practice, he gives practical tips and
Paula
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are a teacher who ever feels a bit overwhelmed by the enormity of your career or stressed by the demands of being the best teacher you can be...have I got a book for you! The past several years I have really tried to find more balance in my life and maintain my passion for teaching/learning. The Zen Teacher really speaks to me. Taking care of myself is essential in order to be the teacher I want to be, not to mention the wife, mother, friend, sister, daughter, neighbor...I care to be. Fil ...more
Patricia Griffin, Ed.D.
Taking It to the Classroom and Beyond

Dan Tricarico sets the reader on a journey to a more mindful and focused approach to being truly present and grateful in the moment at work and home. The Zen Teacher is a must read for all educators whose lives are non-stop. Take a step in caring for yourself by reading The Zen Teacher. You won't want to put it down. Keep it on your desk to reflect on again and again.
Nicole
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-heart-teaching
This book is incredible. I read it cover to cover today and plan to dip in and out during the school year to keep myself focused on the ideas presented. I can't wait to discuss these ideas with my team.
Forest Blackwelder
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
LOVE IT
Angela
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Permission and Instructions to Savour Life

Teaching is a profession that can fIll every crevice, every thought, and every intention. This book shines a light on the value and necessity of margin, self-care and experiencing life not a full sprint! As a practicing teacher, Dan Tricarico lives the precepts of his book, so each suggestion, anecdote and example are relevant, tested and timely. This book is the gift of permission every educator, really every human, needs to embrace and follow. It is t
Cindy Wise
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book and will go back to it again and again as a place of calm. What it does for me is help remind and ground me in being intentional--creating a teaching space where I am happy being with students. My beliefs and goals line up with what I'm putting out there and my time is scheduled so that there is time for work and play, for solitude, self-care--whatever is right for the moment. Thank you, Dan, for giving me the words to explain what I've been trying to do that I can sh ...more
Justin Nelson
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing super ground-breaking here, but Tricario does have a certain, frank writing style that led to some legitimately thought-provoking moments. His Zen suggestions are pretty basic to anyone who has studied any bit of Zen before, but I did find good, reflective worth in the chapters focusing on taking time to do things for yourself and your own health first.
Melissa
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This book would be a great introduction for teachers (or anyone in the caring professions) on the importance of the various contemplative arts, but not as much for those who have more experience with those practices. It is a good reminder for everyone to take time for stillness, awareness, and equanimity.
Amanda
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for reiterating the essential nature of self-care for teachers as well as the practicality of the text overall. From the explanations of each principle to the steps to implement them, this book is a great tool for teachers who are looking for peace in their classrooms and life in general!
Kelly
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
A little pithy and not quite what I was expecting, but over all quite readable. If you're after practical tips for your classroom, this is not the book for you! If you're wanting to change your perspective on how you approach your classroom, this book is worth reading.
Damian La Fauci
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book not only helped me keep a clear mind in the classroom, but it also helped me remain calm and tranquil outside the classroom as well. The part about not getting angry and accepting things the way they are really helps you be mindful of your actions and be accepting of the world around us.
Kris
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting this afternoon. Mindfulness, saying NO, and radical self-care: YES. Great bibliography.
Kathy Iwanicki
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I had never read anything like it as it relates to teachers. It is definitely a book I will refer back to for inspiration during the year.
Lia
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017
So much to take in here. Loved it. Inspirational for teachers and administrators.
Bonnie Nieves
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take time to read this book!

I will buy copies of this book to give as gifts. Dan is an incredibly kind and responsive author, this book might just change your life. 🧘‍♂️
LeighAnne
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, professional
Dan takes you on a self reflective journey to help you find that balance that we all need as educators. A phenomenal book indeed! I know what I'm buying my teacher friends for Christmas!
Tim
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay but you could probably do as well to read a generic book on the basic tenets of Zen.
Tobye
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good reminder of how to take care of yourself and your students. I didn’t really find anything new or an amazing revelation, just good reminders of what we should be doing.
Kaylee Baldwin
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth while read to be revisited continually throughout life.
Kris
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is just what I needed to read over the holiday break. It gave me a fresh perspective and offered a guilt-free outlook!
Jenn
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I needed this desperately this year. Thank you Dan for putting this out into the world and making it more acceptable for us to slow down and breathe! This is an invaluable message.
Amanda Yamate
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, so good. Only took 5 months to finish it, haha.
Overall, a quick, self-care focused, encouraging read.
Caroline Petty
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great strategies to help teachers calm down, relax and enjoy their students.
Suzanne M
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reminder to slow down

I like how the author says it like it is. He gives you “challenges” to complete at the end of each section and those truly help to become a Zen teacher.
Bethany Hala
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and the principles put forth in it for balance in life and the classroom. Bravo ! And just say no! Lol
Ryan Thompson
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
The word Zen is thrown out extremely casually in this book.

• Teach Like a Pirate: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
  • The Bridge Home
  • Just Mercy (Adapted for Young Adults): A True Story of the Fight for Justice
  • Fresh Ink: An Anthology
  • Clean Getaway
  • Genesis Begins Again
  • Free Lunch
  • The Benefits of Being an Octopus
  • Punching the Air
  • The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • The Illegal
  • Dragon Hoops
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • A Wish in the Dark
  • Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.
  • Ban This Book