Start by marking “The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man” as Want to Read:
The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man

The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man (Vision (2015) (Collected Editions) #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  7,082 Ratings  ·  847 Reviews
The Vision wants to be human, and what's more human than family? So he heads back to the beginning, to the laboratory where Ultron created him and molded him into a weapon. The place where he first rebelled against his given destiny and imagined that he could be more -that he could be a man. There, he builds them. A wife, Virginia. Two teenage twins, Viv and Vin. They look ...more
Paperback, Trade, 136 pages
Published July 12th 2016 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Vision, Volume 1, please sign up.
Chris Tom King has written several other comics, although some of them aren't out in trade yet. The closest to The Vision in terms of tone and writing style…moreTom King has written several other comics, although some of them aren't out in trade yet. The closest to The Vision in terms of tone and writing style is The Omega Men: The End Is Here.(less)

Anne
Whoa. Nothing is creepier than the 'burbs.

description

This seems to have fairly positive reviews, but there are those that thought this was pretty boring. And I can kinda understand where they're coming from.
It's a slow moving story about androids. Sorry..synthezoids? Whatever. At any rate, I get why this might not be some people's cuppa.
Also? Hype.
Anything that gets too over-hyped tends to be a letdown to me. And this one has tons of rave reviews. So, there's that, as well.
Lower your expectations. <-
Jan Philipzig
“I Have Said It. Therefore It Is Confirmed.”

Whoa, that was fun! I mean, what a character, just listen to the guy: “To assert as truth that which has no meaning is the core mission of humanity.” Or: “Hmmm, yes, this is typical of most human endeavors. They change but they do not change.” Or: “The pursuit of a set purpose by logical means is the way of tyranny... The pursuit of an unobtainable purpose by absurd means is the way of freedom. This is my vision of the future. Of our future.” I hear ya
Donovan
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it

Tom King’s Vision is literary sci-fi, dark and satirical, with sharp commentary on race and humanity, life and death, in a Marvel super hero comic. Extraordinary.

"For a moment, as she listened to her family argue and laugh, Virginia felt content.

She belonged here. They belonged here. Everything in the end would be good. This moment lasted 1.72 seconds."
Dan Schwent
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-comics
The Vision builds himself a family and moves to the suburbs with them. Things are great until they aren't.

After reading the first issue of The Vision via Marvel Unlimited, I knew I wanted to read the rest. Little Worse than a Man collects the first six issues.

The Vision and his family experience prejudice from their human neighbors, Viv and Vin's classmates, and later, the cops. Virginia lies to the Vision once and it snowballs, sending their quiet suburban life out of control. I saw someone ref
HFK
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paidkindle, graphics
I am not really into superheroes, so I had very little to no knowledge of The Vision before entering into this series. It felt easy to give it a chance considering I really did enjoy Jessica Jones series, which had some parts superhero, and some parts mystery and crime.

Good news is, you do not really need to know anything about The Vision, he is very well explained in this volume. Other good news is that you do not need to like superheroes to actually enjoy this volume.

Very simplistic and grippi
David Schaafsma
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
"They seemed nice."

I have no particular interest in Marvel’s world of the Avengers, but this one surprised me. Takes place in Alexandria, Virginia, where Avenger Vision moves with his wife and twins. Suburbia. Welcome to the neighborhood, toasters! A darkly satirical commentary on contemporary American society through a domestic comic!

Here’s two key quotes that may get at the philosophy and somewhat robotic tone of it all from Vision, who spouts this kind of thing and in this kind of tone throu
Sam Quixote
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I get into some spoilsies later in the review so I guess “be warned”. The short version of this review is that the book is overrated, boring and poorly written and I wouldn’t recommend it. Ok, on with the review proper!

The Vision suddenly has a family! His wife is Virginia, his son is Vin and his daughter is Viv (oh the cute alliteration) and they reside at 616 Hickory Branch Lane (geddit, like Marvel-616, the main Marvel universe). Not a lot happens for most of the book until something does an
Calista
I like the idea of a volume about Vision and his family. I don't think it was all that well done. I don't know the character all that well, so maybe it is.

The vision is their own family unit. They are fairly normal but school is tough for the kids. Villains do attack the house at some point. Vision is out with the Avengers saving the world much of the time too. All the pressure of having a family on present here and then some.

It's not a bad volume, and it's not a great volume. I might read the
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Grumpy Name-Changing Wanderer ⚔
I'm halfway through this and it's REALLY boring. Sounded like a fantastic idea, but nothing much is happening and there is very little humor or action and the dialogue is flat and... well, boring. Moving on.

Matthew Quann
The hype is real!

Aside from a select few comics I've switched from floppies to trade waiting in the wake of Marvel's Secret Wars. The comics are a bit more affordable in collection, and I don't feel as obligated to continue reading a series in trades if the first one isn't very good. But there's been a few series whose near unanimous praise has me itching to dig in, Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther and Tom King's The Vision.

I'd heard the series was an amalgam of Breaking Bad and the wackiest stu
Chris
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel
I don't usually review any of the series I follow in single issues until they're released in trade, but I'm making an exception for The Vision as it's one of the best comic books I've ever read. Hell, the term "comic book" seems insufficient to describe Little Worse Than A Man. It's storytelling through sequential art at it's finest and I thought it was incredible from start to finish.

Comic superstar-in-the-making Tom King teams with talented artist Gabriel H. Walta and fan-favourite colourist J
Rory Wilding
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As the concept of artificial intelligence is becoming more of a reality in our current day and age, it is an idea that though has been used over the decades of science-fiction, the more relevant it becomes the more we feel fearful towards it. This is perfectly summed up in the first volume of Tom King’s solo comic about Marvel’s “synthezoid” superhero.

Although he was created to be a weapon by the evil robot Ultron, the Vision’s greatest desire is to be human and what’s more human than family? Mu
Cheese
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot darker in nature than I thought, but a well told story none the less.

Lovely artwork, the story reminded me of a horror movie, but I can't quite think which one. Maybe the shining, when the wife has realised that her husband is crazy. It provokes some interesting debates about AI as well.

Exterminate!
Michelle Morrell
The Vision tries to slice off a bit of Americana home life for himself, only things don't go entirely as planned.

Interesting concept, and the last few panels were just exactly what we don't want in an overpowered AI-made-flesh. I thought it could have been more effective in a smaller space though, it felt like it plodded a bit, just to build up the ((gasp)) at the end.
Jeannette Nikolova
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

From the moment I started reading The Vision, I felt that something was creeping in on me. I knew that this was mostly supposed to be a dark comedy, at least from most of what I had read or heard about it. However, that was not the feeling that I got from the volume itself.

First and foremost, there is something that I really enjoyed: the ominous chill running through the entire volume. From the very beginning, I felt slightly disturbed by the characters
Artemy
You know the Vision? That red android from the Avengers, son of Ultron? That guy from the latest Avengers movie? Well, he decided to create himself a happy family, and it's gone very, very wrong. Yeah, I thought that premise was kinda dumb, too. Who knew this comic would be such a revelation.

I am torn between this and Doctor Strange as Marvel's best new series of the year. This brilliant, creepy, haunting story is so good, I can't wait for the next issue every month. I would tell more about the
Gary
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Vision creates a synthezoid family for himself, moves into the suburbs of Washington D.C., and shit goes horribly wrong.
I love, and I mean LOVE, the art in this book. The writing is smart, and I liked the suburban horror story angle. I'm a little concerned about the pacing - a sort of droning tone punctuated by brief but brutal incidents of violence - which has become a little redundant from chapter to chapter. Also, my expectations are a little deflated because I am fairly certain that the
James DeSantis
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Youtube Video Review - https://youtu.be/CK5UQwuwwbM

Every once in a blue moon you read a graphic novel that blows away any expectations no matter how much good you heard about it. Earlier this year it was American Alien. The Vision is the second Graphic Novel made this year to blow me the FUCK away!

Vision is building a home for his family. His wife, his kids, all he's trying to do is be normal. It's simple, for humans we try our best to achieve great things. For Vision he's saved the world a bun
Hazal Çamur
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Acilen Türkçeye çevrilmeli.

Boğazımda bir yumruyla bitirdiğim ve etkisi bir süre daha sürecek bir hikaye bu. Özellikle sonu itibariyle insanı alt üst ediyor.

Farklı olmanın ve normalmiş gibi yapmanın ne demek olduğunu aslında pek çok hikayede gördük. Ama Vision ve kendine yarattığı ailesinde yine de farklı bir şeyler var.

Anlatımında bile bir hüzün, bir şiirsellik var. Vision'ın kendisinin de bu ciltte dediği gibi, "insanlar değiştiriyor ama hiç değişmiyor"
Jesse A
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cool story with a very good series direction.
Eric
vision

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions," or so it's been said for who knows how long. It's one of those sayings where I always want to retort, as sarcastically as my voice can physically allow, Ah yes, it was good intentions that have led all the world's abusers, all the serial killers, all the serial rapists, all the career criminals, all the tyrants, and all the all-too-willing people who serve and enable them all astray towards Hell.

Yet I must concede that Tom King, Gabriel Hernandez
Char
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“To assert as truth that which has no meaning is the core mission of humanity.”
Shadowdenizen
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-marvel
"Existenstial Horror."

That's the best way to describe this unique maxi-series from Marvel, and it's a perfect example of the risks that Marvel is willing to take with titles, and it paid off in spades in this instance.

There is little not to like about this title (which, as I write this, is 2/3rds of the way thru it's run of 12 issues); the writing, pacing and characterization are spot-on, though this is definitely a new vision for the characters (Pardon the bad pun), and certainly NOT the Vision
Jerry Jose
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This comic has a laughable formula, and in first look is a quixotic attempt to sell the family life of an Avenger. Yes, Hawkeye worked, but here the variables are entirely different. Vision is a synthezoid, and probably everyone's least favourite.

King's take on Vision reminded me of Gaiman's Black Orchid run, reinventing a not so mainstream character, by embracing the original handicaps with fresh perspectives. I read a little deep into fan letters and found these words of King himself "For me,
Chris Lemmerman
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
[Read as single issues]

The Vision wants a family. He wants to find out what it is that makes him human. Or is he human at all? And what does it mean to be human? When he creates a family of synthezoids, a wife and two children, things get even more complicated. As Vision tries to juggle his family life with his Avengers life, everything comes crashing down around him.

Tom King is a big name in comics at the moment, for good reason. Vision is amazing stuff. It's more of a character study than a su
Frédéric
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Do synthezoids dream of electric sheeps?
Ok, an easy one but well deserved to cover the sad and doomed attempts of the Vision to live a "normal" life with a "normal" family.
Well, this is not a "normal" Marvel comic book. No huge fights, no overboobed babes in spandex, no runts snikting their claws... Rather a grim suburb, a poisoned atmosphere and lots of text. And it's great, too!
I tip my hat to Marvel for endorsing such a different and interesting use of super heroes.
Aldo Haegemans
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
3,5/5 Still a very mature interesting book
Max
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn. Wow. Stellar writing, deeply creepy, with a Shirley Jackson vibe. Can’t wait to read the second volume.
Stewart Tame
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everyone's favorite synthezoid, having built himself the perfect nuclear family, moves to the suburbs and begins commuting to work. His children go to school. They meet the neighbors. Everything is swell. What could possibly go wrong?

What really impresses me about this series is the writing. It would be easy to play the Artificial Beings Trying to Pass as Human in Suburbia for laughs. Tom King goes for creeping dread. We know some sort of apocalyptic scene is coming, because myriad hints are dro
Blindzider
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Let me start by tempering some expectations: There are no major super hero battles. This is a subtle, commentary on humanity, with a dose of horror.

The Vision decides to create a family (wife and two kids) who are just like him and move to the suburbs and live a "normal" life. Through this setup, King examines what is a "normal" life? How far would you go to maintain the perception that your life is normal? Should/can everyone live a normal life? These questions and more are what King are asking
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5: Super Famous
  • James Bond, Vol. 1: VARGR
  • Superman: American Alien
  • The Multiversity
  • Tokyo Ghost, Vol. 1: Atomic Garden
  • Fatale, Vol. 5: Curse the Demon (Fatale, #5)
  • Huck, Book 1: All-American
  • The Wake Part One

Vision (2015) (Collected Editions) (2 books)
  • The Vision, Volume 2: Little Better than a Beast
“To assert as truth that which has no meaning is the core mission of humanity.” 7 likes
“Facts without context are like individuals without society. Just as an individual must find his or her place in society or else they are useless, a fact must find its place in an argument or else it serves no true purpose.” 5 likes