Start by marking “Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 1: Chinatown” as Want to Read:
Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 1: Chinatown

Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 1: Chinatown

(Daredevil: Back in Black #1)

Daredevil is back in black and back on his home turf, as Matt Murdock begins a fresh life once again! He may have returned to New York City, but Matt's on a different side of the law now, with a job in the District Attorney's office. And he's finding his new career quite the challenge, as even his incredible skills aren't enough to indict the local crime lord known as Tenf ...more
Paperback, Trade, 120 pages
Published May 24th 2016 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Daredevil, please sign up.

Start your review of Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 1: Chinatown
Jeff
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
It’s post-Secret Wars and Mark Waid is no longer writing this book. Charles Soule, a talented writer, but kind of a plodder, is now in charge. Here’s what you can look forward to:

- Daredevil is now back in New York City. He no longer has a private legal practice; he’s working for the D.A. now. Because Soule’s an attorney, expect some lawyerly talk and whatnot. So, good stuff for you Matlock lovers.

- Daredevil has evoked the Dr. Strange/Mephisto let’s-reset-my-identity-so-no-one-knows-who-I-am st
Paul E. Morph
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, I knew whatever followed Waid and Samnee's amazing run wouldn't be able to live up to it but did it have to suck quite this hard?

Things I didn't like:

1. Everything Waid did on the book has been wiped away. SO disappointing.

2. Daredevil has a sidekick. DD doesn't need a sidekick. He's not Batman.

3. The story was by-the-numbers and completely predictable.

4. Tenfingers is possibly the stupidest villain I've ever seen in this book. Yes, I'm including Stiltman AND Leapfrog. He has pistols with
Sam Quixote
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Charles Soule and Ron Garney have the difficult task of following-up Mark Waid and Chris Samnee’s years-long acclaimed run on Daredevil and, unfortunately, they bungle it.

In some ways it’s an undoing of Waid/Samnee’s Daredevil. Matt is back East, having moved from San Francisco to New York City, there’s no more smiling Matt as the grim tone returns (he and Foggy aren’t friends anymore for some reason), and everyone’s forgotten Matt Murdock is Daredevil again (as part of the Secret Wars fallout?
Chad
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daredevil makes a lackluster return to NY, this time hanging out in Chinatown instead of Hell's Kitchen. Somehow Matt's Murdock's secret identity is just that again, secret. We get no explanation how. Only Foggy knows Matt is Daredevil and Matt and Foggy's relationship is on the rocks. Matt is now an assistant D.A. investigating a new church / cult in Chinatown run by someone named Tenfingers. Daredevil has taken on a new protege, Blindspot who's undocumented and Chinese. I found Ron Garney's ar ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I wanted to like this more than I did. I think it's because I loved other Daredevil book so much. I didn't care for the artwork. For lack of a better word, it was too scratchy looking for me, which didn't work well with the monochromatic colors. Also, it was hard to keep up with the storyline. Although there was an interesting twist with the villain, and things get crazy when Hand ninjas show up. Also I did like that Daredevil's new sidekick is Asian. It might have been something of a plotpoint, ...more
Cheese
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I'll be honest. When I saw that Soule took over I wasn't best pleased. I think most of his stuff is weak.

This surprised me.

Here are a list of the things I like about this new volume:

1. The artwork is really nice. Dark shades, different to the vibrant colours Waid brought in.
2. A new hero has been introduced called 'blind spot' who has built a suit to make him invisible.
3. A new villain with 10 fingers!
4. He's more experienced now and people know less about him so he's almost a bra
Shadowdenizen
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-daredevil
While competent and readable, this volume didn't pack the same punch (or the visceral excitement) that Volume 1 of Mark Waid's last run did.

But I'm willing to stick with it, see what the creative team brings to the table in future issues. (Though it does seem that Matt Murdock/DD "starts a new life" WAY more than any other comic charcter in the Marvel Universe.)
Amanja
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This is the spoiler free review for volumes 1 and 2, if you would like to see the spoiler full review complete with pictures please visit here: http://amanjareads.com/2020/01/07/dar...

Daredevil: Back in Black has 46 issues total in the run. I will be reading all of them and reviewing them in 2 volume batches based on how the trades were published.

This run has a very different feel to it from past Daredevil issues. Not only is Daredevil in a new black uniform but he has somehow wiped everyone's
Gianfranco Mancini

Wow!!! Tim Sale's issue 001 variant really kick-ass!!!

After the awesome Waid/Samnee run on Daredevil I was just afraid reading this new one but luckly Soule and Garney give us a more than good first volume, a fist one leaving you with lots of questions: why the black suit (but for luring Netfix Daredevil fans)? Why nobody remembers Matt is DD (Oh yeah, Secret Wars rebooted everything..)? And so on, but I'm sure sooner or later we are going to have the answers.
Liked a lot the story and the art...
Sesana
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Mark Waid's run on Daredevil is a hard act to follow. Soule may not exactly knock it out of the ballpark, but he does a more than respectable job. Somewhere in that post-Secret Wars time gap, Matt did... something, the end result of which is that his identity as Daredevil is secret once again, from everyone. And the only person who knows otherwise is Foggy, who isn't exactly thankful for that knowledge. I don't know yet what he did, because that isn't exactly the point of this story. I'm sure th ...more
Chris
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
With Charles Soule as writer and some great preview art making the rounds online, I had high hopes for Daredevil. For the most part though, I found Chinatown to be a solid, yet unremarkable read that ultimately comes undone with a generic storyline and a jarring final page that ends the book on an off-putting note.

The highlight was the artwork by Ron Garney and colourist Matt Milla. A muted palette of red and black brings an appropriately dark atmosphere to Hell's Kitchen, with the whites standi
kristen ♡
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, comics
i loved daredevil 2014 and i assumed this was just a connection to that but it’s not connected at all, i don’t know if i missed something or if it’s just a complete reboot. i guess that’s good, both series have been fine for people just starting daredevil. even though if you use this series as in intro to daredevil, this volume never explains his blindness, origin or senses like the 2014 series does.

this issue was extremely boring in the most action packed way. i don’t know how to explain it. it
James DeSantis
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Around a 3.5. I think it's better start than Waid's run (by far TBH)

So everyone forgot who DD was, except Foggy. Now Matt and Daredevil are separate once more. THis makes some great moments (especially with cap) and really shows how much internal fighting Matt really has to do. I especially love this issue dealing with Blindspot. The big brother type of relationship they have made this an highly enjoyable title.

Yes, I believe they could have done a lot more with Matt being exposed. I also enjo
RG
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Took a bit of time adjusting to the diffent tone and style as compared to Waid.
Sud666
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Daredevil seems to be in black and with a "sidekick" to boot. I must have missed a lot in DD's life since apparently, somehow, he has managed to make all of humanity forget that he is Matt Murdock (maybe Dr. Strange helped? Since making possibly a million forget your secret identity requires Cosmic levels of power..ah who knows?)

So DD is now an Asst District Attorney instead of a scumbag defense lawyer. Ok that's rather different but cool. Now there is a villian known as Ten Fingers. He has stol
Chris Lemmerman
Coming off of the fantastic Waid/Samnee run of Daredevil, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who could take the character to the same heights. Of course, enter Charles Soule and Ron Garney to try and do just that. Soule himself is a practicing lawyer, so alongside She-Hulk (which he also wrote a fantastic 12 issue run on), Daredevil is the perfect character for Soule.

Everything old is new again with a twist, as Matt returns to New York City, with his secret identity back in place (please don'
Frédéric
Aug 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, daredevil
So DD is back. For some reason nobody but Foggy (who seems rather pissed off) remembers he is Matt Murdock. I reckon I missed something because I don't have any clue as to why.
But I can live with it.

He also has a "partner", an asian illegal immigrant in a costume that makes him invisible.
Yeah, Right.
I like it much less, DD is a lonesome character by nature and the presence of this Robin wannabe somehow bothers me a little bit.

I still could have lived with it if not for this moronic first arc
Robert
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Durr-devils
Shelves: marvel
I have mixed feelings here, since there was some great stuff, some promising stuff, but also some pretty weak stuff.

GREAT: Daredevil's new sidekick apprentice, Blindspot. Cool superpower (straight up invisibility) mixed with a compelling origin story (he's an illegal Chinese immigrant living off the grid in NYC).

PROMISING: Matt Murdock is working in the D.A.'s office now. If Charles Soule stays on this book for a while this has a lot of potential, as the man does know the law.

WEAK: So...Tenfinge
Sonic
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a nice and refreshing new flavor of Daredevil, and after Waid's mostly very strong return to the bright days of 80's era coloring and brightness, which was nice because it was a break and contrast to the dark, bleak, drama of Bendis's and Brubaker's fantastic runs, this then does the reverse,
and takes us back to a Dark(ish) take on our tortured hero.
But Soule also did other nice and original things,
I liked it,
even though there are a couple outlandish things, that I am bugged by, ...
I
Travis Duke
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A decent daredevil story but more so a pretty good Blindspot story. Daredevil is now a prosecutor and is trying to take down the tenfingers crew. Tenfingers runs a gang hiding as a church. Daredevil has a new ally names Blindspot who can go invisible with aid of his tech suit. The story is pretty standard fanfare, we see Matt in court, we see Matt fighting crime. The shining story is about Blindspot and chinatown. The art is O.K. nothing great in my opinion. I suppose I will read vol.2 but im no ...more
Blindzider
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm always skeptical with relaunches for Daredevil. Generally, they try hard to mimic Miller's run, attempting to replicate the gritty, martial arts crime action. Or they go a completely different direction, like Waid's recent run. Soule's story is more the former: Matt's back in New York, except his costume is now black and red. It actually doesn't bother me that much. It's similar enough to his original costume that it isn't shockingly different, but visually lets you know that things are not ...more
Judah Radd
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
I like the tone, and I think Ron Garney’s art is cool. It’s very grainy with a color palette limited to black, grey and red, layered with modernized Ben-Day dots.

The story however, is pretty plain, and a little silly. Also, there are some major changes to the setting here that aren’t satisfactorily explained. How did everyone forget Daredevil’s secret identity? Why did he move back from the West Coast? It’s not really addressed.

The fighting and action are pretty fun, and well rendered. Also, as
Wing Kee
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's not bad, but it's absolutely not what I wanted.

World: The art is beautiful, it's very stylish and very different from the Waid run, it's very tonally different. I like it. I don't love it but I like it for what this book is trying to do. The world building here is solid also for what it is. It's Chinatown and it's not quite there, there are stereotypes and simplifications for the sake of the plot and the tone and status quo shift from Wade is absolutely huge which I don't like. For what it
Rattoni
Jun 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
This book is terrible, read something else.

That being said, Daredevil is one of my favorite marvel characters, nonetheless is quite difficult to find a good story of him. This story is really boring, almost as bad as Andy Diggles Shadowland. I have not read yet the Marc Waid run before reading this one, but from the reviews I’ve read here in Goodreads, it does not seem to be needed to understand what is happening here.

It really shows how Charles Soule, the writer, does not understand Daredevil
Brent
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators and Marvel superheroes
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators and Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
Shelves: fiction, comics, superhero
The pendulum keeps swinging for Daredevil: here he is back to dark crime stories with The Hand ninjas and New York City. Sadly, no more charming girlfriend. More important, artist Ron Garney inks his pencils to great effect.
Recommended.
Muteeb
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charles Soule's run was an overall three star read for me, but then the last three pages happened, and I lost my goddamn mind. ...more
Alex E
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Daredevil returns to New York to protect Hell's Kitchen once again!

...wait what? Last we left off on this title, Matt was all-but-known to be Daredevil and he was working in San Francisco. The most annoying part of this book is that the "how" of how Matt is back in New York with no one knowing his secret identity is not explained. And while Charles Soule chooses to use this as a mystery driving the plot forward, he doesn't really address it until the final issue of this volume. So to me it feels
Lucas Lima
This was fun to read, but only that. Daredevil is a character that, for me, don't get a bad run or bad story or anything. We can always see something good happening in Hell's Kitchen. But, again, this first volume was fun. Nice drawings, some nice writings, the average bad guy and everything. A superhero comic. ...more
Jesse A
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent but not great.
Arlomisty
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great graphic novel... book one in three... love the art!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Moon Knight, Vol. 1: Lunatic
  • Daredevil, Vol. 2: Parts of a Hole
  • Daredevil, Volume 5
  • Daredevil, Volume 4

Daredevil: Back in Black (8 books)
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 2: Supersonic
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 3: Dark Art
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 4: Identity
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 5: Supreme
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 6: Mayor Fisk
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 7: Mayor Murdock
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 8: The Death of Daredevil

News & Interviews

“You could drop Tony Stark naked in the middle of the desert and he'd fly out in a jet made of sand and cactus needles. It's not his *stuff* that gives him power. It's his *brain*. Try using yours. You'll be amazed the difference it makes.” 7 likes
“And after all, what's the point of being Daredevil if you can't leap before you look?” 1 likes