Start by marking “Hedging His Bets (Honey and Fur, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hedging His Bets (Honey and Fur, #1)

Hedging His Bets

(Honey and Fur #1)

Honey loves running her bar and grill, catering to humans and shifters alike. But there are two things that dim her love of the place: cocky assholes who think they own the world, and cocky assholes who think they can flex their muscles and wreck her bar when throwing a temper tantrum. Unfortunately, the drop-dead gorgeous, hotter than hot, shifter man she secretly loves i ...more
Published (first published April 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Hedging His Bets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hedging His Bets

Start your review of Hedging His Bets (Honey and Fur, #1)
Myke Cole
Consider the Hedgehog.

Now, if you're anything like me, the Hedgehog is a flashpoint, a lightning rod for controversy. You may be a resident of one of the many states that has banned them as pets. You may remember the vicious 2006 kerfuffle, where international outcry finally forced McDonalds to change the cap on their McFlurry line of . . . oh, hell . . . It doesn't contain any actual ice cream, so you can't really call it a milk shake, now can you? . . . to keep Hedgehogs from getting their lit
Emily
Nov 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Public service announcement:
If a man tries to have sex with you, while you are asleep, without your express consent, do not under any circumstances let him back in your house. I don't care if he's magic or a biker or hot. You're going to have a bad time.

This book read like bad fanfiction. Weird lead ups to overly graphic and not so sexy sex, poorly researched hedgehog behaviors, and buttplay on a first date. No thank you.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
uhhhhh I can now say I've read a book about werehedgehogs. But that's about the best I can say for this book! lol.
Ivy Deluca
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bbw
The Bottom Line
Meh. Always looking for something different in shifter romances, and were-hedgehogs certainly qualify. Unfortunately, the idea is better than the execution. The humor's ok, but the story doesn't flow, for such a short story it has plotholes galore, and it doesn't even make much sense. It seems like more random moments thrown together. The second book’s better and you don't need to read this, so I'd skip it.
Steelwhisper
1.5* rounded up for the unusual shifter. Otherwise this was entirely pedestrian with boring sex so frumpy and a plot so childish, that it was hard to finish.
So, I Read This Book Today
It's tough being a big, tough, scary shifter - when you change into a hedgehog weighing about a pound. Oy. How embarrassing! Especially when you are totally addicted to Honey, an Amazonian honey-blond with attitude to spare. But when Blake finds out that Honey adores Hedgies, he decides he will play the 'poor little hedgehog' and get himself into Honeys arms that way. What could go wrong?

Um.... well, let's see. You come into her home playing a role . . .

What happens next is funny, sad, and a li
Elisabeth Lane
Very disappointing. The hero is a stereotypical alpha shifter who is embarrassed to be a werehedgehog. The hedgehog thing was basically played for laughs while the hero engaged in typical awful shifter behavior like stalking and lying and generally being a shit to the heroine, who fell in lovelust with him anyway depsite him only briefly and not permanently showing any amount of remorse for his bad behavior. This might be satisfying for some readers, but it wasn't what I was hoping for at all. T ...more
Wealie
1 measly 🌟 - A travesty of toxic masculinity packaged as ‘alpha’ traits and god awful sexual descriptions. Avoid at all costs

I’ve read a number of cringeworthy sex scenes in my time, but when these authors described the protagonist’s vagina as a hole/sex hole, her anus as hole/illicit hole and labia as sex lips I found it incredibly difficult to keep reading. Only the fact this happened about 80% of the way through and the fact it was a novella convinced me to finish reading, if only to be able
Henry Lee
The first four chapters are at least entertaining with their so-bad-it's-almost-good writing. The characters are flat, the writing is just horrible on so many levels, but at least I was entertained by how bad it is. There's a borderline parody level of redundancy. And it's really obvious there were two writers. There are a few moments were the writing attempts to break the fourth wall. It really doesn't work.

I'm rambling, and I know this isn't a very coherent review.

Neither is this book.

Blake tr
Aղցela W.
This was a short quick read that I liked. Honey loves running her bar and grill, catering to humans and shifters alike. But there are two things that dim her love of the place: cocky assholes who think they own the world, and cocky assholes who think they can flex their muscles and wreck her bar when throwing a temper tantrum. Unfortunately the drop-dead gorgeous, hotter than hot, shifter man she secretly loves is both. Blake is a cocky asshole who wants Honey. This story was hot and funny. Blak ...more
Madame Feisty
Sep 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Overall, I'd say this book is creepy. The very weak plot basically condones stalking, manipulating and molestation under the guise of being someone's mate (which might mean soulmate but that is never made clear). The sex scenes were quite "meh" in my opinion. The punny title and concept of a "werehedgehog" are fantastic, but not worth the read.

On a technical note, it is very clear that this book had two authors and that nobody did a second pass at editing. There are moments where it seems that
Delphina
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Seriously, how could I not read this? It has a hedgehog shifter! A hedgehog! This story has heat and was infused with the humor. I love that about Celia's books. True, fated love - Check. Humor - Check. Heat - Double Check. Adventure - Check. Characters I can relate to - Check. I simply enjoyed this story and hope that Celia and Mina co-write some more shifter crack. I know I will be first in line to get it when they do.
Dawn Betts-Green (Dinosaur in the Library)
I ought to give it more stars for complete ridiculousness and being unintentionally hilarious. The sex scenes weren't the worst I've ever read, but holy crap. A werehedgehog, y'all. Seriously? I had to read a romance novel for a library science class, and the best I can say is that the concept will amuse my classmates.
Mallory
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This. Book. This book was everything I've wanted in a book and then some. I saw this book recommended on reddit for the lol's and I could NOT help myself. I first watched a video of a guy reading the first chapter on youtube so I get a bit of a preview before spending the money on a book about a werehedgehog. Long story short, bought it, read it, cannot get enough.
L Bongiorno
1.5 stars. I am so glad this was borrowed and super short, otherwise I would not have finished it...
I didn't like the hero of this story and I didn't see that his personality had ANY redeeming qualities...
Jen Mckenzie
Kinda wish they'd gone beyond the were-hedgehog as a joke level.... would have been nice to see something deviate from the standard bad-ass/kinda rapey/alpha male nonsense. Also, why the rough sex? Hedgehogs should be careful!
Ana
Aug 25, 2015 marked it as to-never-read  ·  review of another edition
Sam Heedy
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
On my god. I just read this purely for the fact that it's a romance novel involving a hedgehog. Like, how does that not make a person curious.
It's so bad and that's neglecting the fact that he is a shape -shifting hedgehog. If I had to hear about her curves one more time, I was going to scream.

Maryanne
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a novella with a hedgehog as the main romantic character. You already know what you're getting into here.
Christin
Were-hedgehog.

Awful. But. Were-hedgehog.
Elaine
Mar 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone in this book was stupid. If a woman is asleep, she can't give consent, that's rape. Duh!!!
Lis
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, ebook
OMG! A big alpha biker that is a were-hedgehog! Too funny, but very enjoyable. 3.5 stars...
Liza
Aug 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book doesn't even deserve one star
Page
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Wow! Just wow...and not in a good way.
Amanda
Feb 20, 2018 marked it as dnf
I’m calling this a DNF. I found the hero gross and pompous and annoying.
Haikufall
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the book, but wish it was longer so there could have been more back story on Black.
Maura
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Jamoz23
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not as good as I expected from these two talented authors.
Honesty is not this hero’s mantra.
I really wanted to give this more stars but it was too short and too silly.
The hero Blake was an idiot, Honey the heroine was thinking with her hormones and the plot was really poor.
Started off so well but then Blake’s actions became so silly as to be unbelievable.
Only reasonable and sensible person was Katie.
I have owned this book for ages, read and reviewed this before but reviews from backs of books se
Katie
This was a nice, short little read. I really liked the fact that it wasn't about a commonly used shifter species but instead about a werehedgehog and his mate. Also, Blake in his human form was portrayed as a rough alpha biker which in other books would typically mean his animal was a type of big predator. So the fact that he ended up being a cute litle hedgie was a nice difference. I would have liked though for this book to have been a bit longer than it was - it stopped just as the couple real ...more
Amanda
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novella. Uh so I read a book about a were shifter who is a big dude and can turn into ... a... hedgehog. A hedgehog. I’m still... I don’t know what, confused by my book choices. But it came recommended from a guest on Heaving Bosoms podcast so I gave it a go. I think if you like novellas about shifters you’d like this. The hero is a typical alpha idiot but he’s a hedgehog part of the time so just go with it.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please Correct Page Count 2 11 Aug 29, 2016 03:06PM

• No Broken Beast (Heroes of Heart’s Edge, #3)
  • Hunted by the Dragon Duke (Council of Black Dragons, #2)
  • Wolf Gone Wild (Stay A Spell, #1)
  • Tarrick (Warriors of the Lathar, #1)
  • Seized (Tribute Brides Of The Drexian Warriors, #2)
  • When She's Married (Risdaverse)
  • Gunner (Silverback Redemption #1)
  • Draekon Conquerer (Rebel Force, #2)
  • Broken Earth (Argurma Salvager, #1)
  • Fae King (The Crystal Kingdom, #1)
  • Tamed by a Beast ( Hearts of Stone #2)
  • Dig Deeper (Keepers of the Swamp, #2)
  • Hutch (Bears of Burden, #3)
  • Dragon Fire And Phoenix Ash (Council Of Black Dragons, #4)
  • Seduced by a Beast (Hearts of Stone #3)
  • Adored by the Alien Assassin (Warriors of the Lathar, #5)
  • Savage Kiss (Savage Shifters #2)
  • Alien Commander's Mate (Warriors of the Lathar, #6)
Celia Kyle would like to rule the world and become a ninja. As a fall-back, she’s working on her writing career and giving readers stories that touch their hearts and *ahem* other places. Visit her online at http://celiakyle.com | http://facebook.com/celiakyle | http://twitter.com/celiakyle | http://pinterest.com/celiakyle ...more

Honey and Fur (2 books)
  • Dragon Her Feet (Honey and Fur, #2; Council of Black Dragons, #1)