Start by marking “Wayward, Vol. 1: String Theory” as Want to Read:
Wayward, Vol. 1: String Theory

Wayward, Vol. 1: String Theory

(Wayward #1)

IMAGE COMICS'S NEW SUPERNATURAL SPECTACULAR!

"If Wayward isn't the next Saga, it will be a damn criminal shame." -Bleeding Cool

Rori Lane is trying to start a new life when she reunites with her mother in Japan, but ancient creatures lurking in the shadows of Tokyo sense something hidden deep within her, threatening everything she holds dear. Can Rori unlock the secrets of h
Published March 25th 2015 by Image

Start your review of Wayward, Vol. 1: String Theory
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I'm not going to lie, I was pretty disappointed with this. The artwork was magnificent, but the story itself didn't entice me in anyway. I might've hyped it up in my mind though, because it has two things that I love, Japan & monsters. Unfortunately I just didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. ...more
Jeff
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Rori Lane has issues. Her parents are separated. Her father lives in Ireland; her mother in Japan. She’s been sent by her father to live in Tokyo and being in a strange new place presents its own overwhelming problems, especially if you’re a teenager.

She also cuts herself and has some sort of untapped powers.

This one took me by surprise. I wasn’t expecting much, but I found a story that reminds me of a Studio Ghibli film but amped up on steroids and ten times as violent. It’s heavily steeped in
Sam Quixote
Rori is a half-Irish, half-Japanese whippersnapper who’s gone to live with her mother in Tokyo. But Rori’s going to find out that Japan is magical - literally! - as she meets new friends… and new enemies!

Wayward Volume 1 has a lot going for it like great art and likeable characters as well as a vaguely defined but enticing plot - and it’s got more than a few problems too, like Jim Zub’s flawed, awkward script!

I found Rori to be affable from the start, a vulnerable but optimistic and strong-min
Estelle
I give it 1 star for the effort and for getting Tokyo "right" (to the point where it's almost distracting), but the writing and the artwork felt painfully amateurish to me. Nothing flowed naturally, it was just a big mess.
I wouldn't recommed it, unless you've got a real obession for Japan.

But hey, that's just my opinion.
Maxine Marsh

I received this book from Netgalley.

I read the first issue via a Humble Bundle I picked up earlier this year and was underwhelmed by that first chapter. I'm glad I got a chance to view the whole first volume because the second chapter in the volume did a lot to redeem the slow start.

The artwork is gorgeous. I read most of this one on my Kindle Fire and the details stood out nicely while being soft and expressive. Very anime with the characters being expressive and lots of great action frames.

O
Chinook
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm very new to graphic novels and comics and I often feel like they have a tendancy to start by dropping you into the middle of a story, leaving me confused. I've considered that it's a convention I'm unaware of or perhaps I'm just not used to world building through illustration.

Wayward didn't do that though. The plot made sense to me. The characters were all introduced one by one and I loved the dialogue - it seemed very authentic to the teenaged characters. I also loved the illustrations - t
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
A fun first volume about a girl that moves to Japan and discovers magic.

It had a very YA feel to it - but the good kind of YA. The story was interesting and the characters were colorful and entertaining.

The art is bang on and has a nice manga vibe about it.

Will definitely be reading the next volume.
Miguel
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: image

Its really really good! It reminds me the videogame "infamous second son", because of the powers and the characters. The characters are really cool... but i want to see more character development, i want to care more.

Its a mature read!

Cant wait to read the second volume!!!
Venus Maneater
Welcome to Japan! You now have superpowers and the local Kappa gang wants you dead!

Confession: from the age of twelve to the age of eighteen (maybe even older but humor me here) my life consisted of: Watching anime & reading manga, fanfiction and MMORPG’s, in that precise order. I dropped random Japanese in everyday conversations *CRINGE* told everyone my life goal was to teach English in Japan *CRINGE* and I spend all my money on over-priced cosplay accessories that I’d never ever wear because
Lexie
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this comic. That may sound odd, as why would I be wasting time on a book that I don't think I'd enjoy, but much like the Zack Davisson (who wrote the forward to this volume) I've read too many comics (or novels) where the appropriation of the foreign culture is off putting.

Also historically my track record with IMAGE Comics has not been stellar as of late.

So I went into WAYWARD a little hesitant, but willing to try. I'm glad I did because it was enjoyable.

Its not
Chris
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: image-comics
Thanks to Image Comics lower price point for the first trade paperbacks of their series (usually £7.50/$9.99 etc.), i'm always tempted to pick up something new each time i'm in a comic shop. The only catch is that the series I try needs to be good enough to bring me back for the full price second volume. Fortunately, String Theory is an intriguing start for Wayward, one that means i'll keep reading for at least a while longer.

When teenager Rori Lane moves to Japan to live with her mother, myster
L. McCoy
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes superhero stuff!
I just caught up with this and figured I’d review the amazing first volume of one of the best superhero comics ever written.

What’s it about?
Rori Lane is half-Irish, half-Japanese and moves to Tokyo with her mom after her parents separate. On her first day in Japan she discovers she has supernatural powers and she isn’t the only one!

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is so interesting, well written, exciting and a little weird.
The art is so cool! Kinda manga-esque but not quite the same style. You’d h
Aaron
WAYWARD is by far the most intelligent urban fantasy comic I've laid eyes on. It's the type of comic whose teenage ingénue and emotional flexibility hit the mark from Page One. It rarely happens. WAYWARD is a rare book.

Now landing in her second home of Japan, Rori Lane journeys anew and discovers her remarkable magic-weaving abilities on the spot. The teenager is a good but uncommon fit as Tokyo's reluctant hero: she holds great disdain for inaction, she values covering her bases, and her sense
Adron Buske
On the surface, Wayward seemed like my kind of book - lovely artwork, interesting setting, cultural mythology inspired themes, cool character designs. Outside of some Twitter recommendations and the brief synopsis, I jumped into this knowing very little about it. Unfortunately, I didn't find it to be a fulfilling or entertaining read.

*** Mild Spoilers Below ***

I wonder if this is the kind of book that really "works" for readers who are newer to comics, who don't recognize the tropes and repetiti
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This first volume in the wayward series does one thing splendidly; it's a good description of Japan, for as far as I can tell. It feels real and fellow reader have experienced the same thing.

The story itself, unfortunately, is not that spectacular. A young girl moves from Ireland to her mother in Japan, and despite all the stories she must have heard, is still quite culture-shocked. It even gets worse when all kind of figures, apparentl
Selena
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my God. This is like Buffy. Half-Japanese Buffy in Japan.

This is epic. I can't say too much about the characters, but so far, I absolutely love them. I can't say much about the story, but so far, I absolutely love it.

Volume 1 is like one big introduction. There's not much to talk about yet, but holy moly, this is awesome.
Jesse Nicholas
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Loved this graphic novel. Fantastic art, great introduction to the awesome characters and tons of intriguing Japanese folklore and spirits.

I can tell this series has so much potential to be even greater!
Damon
Sep 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
worthless and insulting.
ashley
TW: SELF HARM.

Not the best graphic, but not bad. I will be reading more! The Japanese Folklore has me intrigued!
Wayne McCoy
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Wayward, Vol. 1: String Theory' has a cool story by Jim Zub and great art by Steve Cummings. The story takes place in Tokyo, and in a forward by Zack Davisson, we learn that this Japan feels more like the one people live in (minus the yokai) rather than the fantastical "Japan as Decoration." I've never been to Japan, but the book's location has a different feel to it.

Rori Lane is moving to Japan to live with her mom. She's leaving Ireland and her father behind, and hoping for a new life in Japa
Anna (lion_reads)
Hmmm...what did I think?

Well, I hesitate to give this volume a 2 stars, but in terms of the story it is. As far as first volumes go, this one is a little weak. It is most obviously a "set-up" for future issues. The story was just "meh". There were a lot of logical questions that Zub failed to answer, such as what the heck is going on in Tokyo. Rori's reaction to all the supernatural events that happen to her is not very believable. Furthermore, she also seemed a little caricatured. What girl fro
RG
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art in this is amazing. The colours so vivid. However I just never connected with the characters or the story. I felt that the story lends itself to readers who love anime, Japanese culture but I also found it had YA elements. Solid fun just not something for me.
Anastasiaadamov
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Interesting and intriguing. Couldn't help but think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in Japan.
Cool graphic novel!
tomato girl
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Let's just take a moment to bask at the gloryfulness that is the cover of this book.

description

What do you imagine?

I imagine a runaway, who's been hunted by shadow monsters because of a scared power she held deep within herself, most probably tied to her by a curse. Maybe she lived with the people of the night, trying to destroy that evil spirit that always possesses the neighborhood cats. I imagine a heroine that shouldn't be taken lightly, who's strong and passionate about what she does. A powerful one
Jeff James
Full disclosure: I received a free review copy of this book from Net Galley. Originally posted at Full of Words.

The art in Wayward Volume One is probably the best part of an otherwise cliché book. The backgrounds are gritty and realistic in a way that feels completely grounded, and the character art is bright and stylized. Unfortunately, all of that beautiful design is in service of story about yet another teenager discovering hidden magical powers and using them to fight monsters.

Rori Lane is h
Karissa
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a copy of this graphic novel to review through NetGalley. I was drawn to the cover and then when I read the synopsis I was hooked. This ended up being a well done urban fantasy graphic novel of sorts with beautiful full color illustration.

Rori Lane wants to start a new life with her mother in Japan. She leaves her dad in Ireland and makes her way to Tokyo. When Rori arrives she finds out her mother, who is a seamstress, works a ton and has very odd working hours. So, Rori starts to roam th
Grace Troxel
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures:

I picked up the first volume of Wayward on a whim. Mike and I were about to go tent camping, and we figured that reading comics in the tent would be fun, so I ordered a bunch of random trades published by Image. For any non-comic-book-fans, Image is interesting because characters belong to the authors rather than the publisher. That means that rather than the same DC/Marvel superheroes,
Shuruq
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wayward is a nice breath of fresh air in the big group of Japan-themed comics and Graphic Novels (Not even mentioning manga, but they are usually Japan-themed). The drawing was a mixture of comic and manga which suited the setting and the main character, who was half Irish perfectly.

The story starts when Rori moves to Tokyo to her mother after living with her dad alone for more than a year. She gets kind of lost but when she wan
Kaleb
I really enjoyed the first volume of Wayward. It has a lot going for it with an interesting narrative, cool characters, and gorgeous art with even better looking fight scenes. The art is an especially stunning attribute of this graphic novel. Steven Cummings does a fantastic job of presenting the reader with an authentic look at Japan, a feat that few artists manage to do well. He illustrates a haunting and beautiful look at Japan, making it just as vibrant and serene as I imagine it truly is. I ...more
Erika
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
''I think we need to embrace the weird... High-five it... Give it our phone number.''

the concept of this comic is so cool. : ''deviating from what is desired, expected, or required, especially in being disobedient or in gratifying one's own inclinations.''
if you are born japanese in japan, you know who you are, what your obligations are, and what society expects you to do. life is routine. structured. ordered. you have duties to you community and your nation. of course, everyone has human desire

• Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost
  • Low, Vol. 1: The Delirium of Hope
  • Postal, Vol. 1
  • Rose, Vol. 1: The Last Light
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • The Infernal Path (Rat Queens #6)
  • Copperhead, Vol. 1: A New Sheriff in Town
  • Ghosted, Vol. 1: Haunted Heist
  • Middlewest, Book One
  • Injection, Vol. 1
  • Birthright, Vol. 1: Homecoming
  • Little Bird #1
  • Demons (Rat Queens, #3)
  • Middlewest, Book Two
  • High Fantasies (Rat Queens, #4)
  • Outer Darkness, Vol. 2: Castrophany of Hate
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 1: There Will Be Blood
  • Savage Avengers, Vol. 1: City of Sickles
Jim Zub is a writer, artist and art instructor based in Toronto, Canada. Over the past fifteen years he’s worked for a diverse array of publishing, movie and video game clients including Disney, Warner Bros., Capcom, Hasbro, Bandai-Namco and Mattel.

He juggles his time between being a freelance comic writer and Program Coordinator for Seneca College‘s award-winning Animation program.

Wayward (6 books)