Start by marking “Playing For Fun (Stewart Island, #6)” as Want to Read:
Playing For Fun (Stewart Island, #6)

Playing For Fun

(Stewart Island #6)

PLAYING FOR FUN is the sixth story in Tracey Alvarez’s best-selling Due South books set against the stunning backdrop of Aotearoa, New Zealand. If you like Jill Shalvis, Marie Force, or Bella Andre, then you’ll enjoy diving into these heart-warming, sexy & seductive small-town romances with authentic men and women struggling to find their special someone.

Wanted: A woman fo
ebook
Published December 17th 2015 by Tracey Alvarez (first published December 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Playing For Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing For Fun

Start your review of Playing For Fun (Stewart Island, #6)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Playing For Fun is book six in the Due South series by Tracey Alvarez. I was generously provided this book in exchange for an honest review by the author.

Playing for Fun, Tracey Alvarez:

I have loved this series from the start and have been so excited to go back to Stewart Island and see the people I have grown to love throughout this series. This book focuses on Oban’s resident mechanic, Ford Komeke, and the part time hair dresser and Ford’s best friend, Holly Parker.

Jason Momoa:

Ford has been single and without the company of a woman for
Siobhan Davis
Anyone that follows me on social media will know I am a massive fan of Tracey's Due South series. I was therefore very excited to get the opportunity to beta read this book in advance of publication.

What can I say? I LOVED Holly and Ford's story and I ADORED being back in the amazing small-knit community that Tracey has created, and it was FANTASTIC to catch up with some of my favorite characters (especially Shaye and Del, they are my absolute favs)

Ford had a very difficult early childhood, and
Sherilee Gray
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Playing For Fun was everything I hoped it would be and more.

The Due South Series is my happy place. If you want your happy place to be loaded with a whole bunch of book boyfriend worthy heroes, heroines you could easily imagine as your best friends, and let’s not forget the smoking hot smexy scenes! I LOVE this whole series. LOVE.

I fell for Ford as soon as he crooked his finger thorough the pub window at Holly. After that I was toast. He hides the pain and anger he carries around from the tough
Johanna Sawyer
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from the author to read and review but the opinions in my review are my own!

This series is fabulous! I'm not a big romantic but this series sure makes me wish I was. I have really grown to love this author and her beautiful work. Not only is the storyline and plot gold but the chemistry strikes hot right off the page. Ford and Holly are besties with a serious attraction for each other, in fact everyone seems to know they're destined but them. The matchmaking old ladies on the
Kathy K.
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Friends to Lovers set in New Zealand. Past problems need to be settled first before this romance can continue.
Rob. C.
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great story of friendship and love in the sixth book in the Due South Series, Playing For Fun will not disappoint fans of author Tracey Alvarez’s books. But if you’re new to the series, the good news is you can start at this point and get pulled into the Due South world without any problems. The good thing about this series is that every book works well as a standalone, but it is obviously enjoyed that little bit more if you’ve read all the previous books and met all the side characters ...more
Stephanie
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This sixth book in the Due South series is a sweet, fun, sexy, slightly heartbreaking friends-to-lovers tale. I love this series, and overall I loved this one too. There are a lot of things I really liked about it, but one minor issue is preventing me from wholeheartedly loving it as much as I could have. (I'll get to that later.)

Ford and Holly are best friends and have been supporting players in the rest of the series. Holly has been the sounding board for friend Shaye's romantic woes, and a ma
Kat Desi
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Every time I read a small town romance novel, I feel like it's Christmas time for me! While I've read my fair share of them, I've never read one that is set in New Zealand which I found pretty exciting because I've always wanted to go there. Aotearoa, as the Maori called it. Before we get to the romance part of the story, I really would like to say first that I appreciated the glimpse of the Maori culture in this novel. I have always been intrigued by them and had always meant to do read a littl ...more
Bette Stanek
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Book six in the Due South series by Tracey Alvarez is full of fun and quirky characters. Set in Oban, a small island village in the south of New Zealand, where everyone knows your business, but no one cares like the people of Oban.

Holly and Ford, it’s been a long time coming. They grew up together, they’re part of one another’s “family.” Holly crushed on Harley, Ford’s twin, when she was in high school. The twins carry a lot of baggage from their mother, but Ford’s baggage is the worst. Hol
Jackie
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great next book in the series!

If you are a fan of Tracey Alvarez's Due South series, I think you will enjoy this book. It was great to read about Holly and Ford and to catch up with the rest of the gang. I have the urge to go back right now to re-read the rest of the series!
MelodiousBookNotes
Another Great story in This Series

Playing For Fun is a friends to lovers story. Ford and Holly have been good friends since childhood. Holly originally had crush on Ford's twin brother, Harley, but nothing ever came of it. Fast forward to present day. Harley lives in NY and Ford , Holly, and their circle of friends spend lots of time together. Romance, engagements, and weddings abound for everyone except Ford and Holly. Even though the two of them have uncharted feelings towards one another, Hol
Tracey Cramer-Kelly
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I had a difficult time getting into this story, and into Holly in particular (too much hot/cold and whining about her situation). It seemed to be a run-of-the-mill friends-to-lovers story with decent (if not completely necessary) sex scenes. UNTIL we started to get more of Ford’s backstory and his struggles and issues about half-way through. Then it got more interesting. The town inhabitants are funny (I only got confused about who was who a couple times), and Ford’s “dates” brought some funny s ...more
A.M.
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, i-own
Holly is asked to help her friend Ford find a girlfriend online. He knows she’s always had a crush on his twin brother, Harley, but he is picking up some weird vibes from her. Is she jealous?

Ooh a friends to lovers trope. Ford has kept Holly company for so long on her couch that he knows what each season of Supernatural means to her – season three: safe but approach with caution; season one: everything in my life is crap so let me escape reality.
They’re good friends. But when women start getting
Esther
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful friends to lovers tale

I love Tracey's heartwarming storytelling style. She writes sexy heroes you want to fall in love with, well as smart, independent women you want to admire and cheer on. Playing for Fun is a sweet friends to lovers story with which you will love to escape from your world. She's tells the sad story of Ford's early years with such compassion and skill. This story highlights the way strong men seem to deal with personal and family wounds in a realistic way, and give
Iona
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
100% Loved it! Total entertainment!

Have never heard of or read the phrase: nuts slammed in the car's doors! I ached in multiple ways reading this treasure. My ribs ached from laughter, my heart ached for the pains of youth and the pangs of love. And my Lady Playground ached over the interesting scenarios that Tracey Alvarez had Holly and Ford playing in. This book will definitely be kept to re-read!
Caro
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, own
This was a good, if aggravating and exasperating, book. It was written well and pulls you in. However slightly, in the beginning. I enjoyed the different setting and the personalities. I loved the characters, sometimes, and wanted to knock their heads together quite often. This is a good book for something to read and doesn't get you too caught up, but just enough. Good for the lazy-day read. Enjoy
Pontiki
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holly wants to move out of the friend zone with Ford, but isn’t sure what he wants. Ford also wants to be with Holly, but has a hard time thinking she’ll take him as he is because he carries past childhood pain.

Their friends see their attraction, which they dance around for awhile, then realize it’s right to be together. He takes care of her, and she loves him no matter what.

Great book, lots of cool characters, sweetness between Ford and Holly.
MaryRhonda
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I loved this story of Ford and Holly. Mrs. Taylor is a hoot and when she made Holly be the one to find Ford a woman was almost too much. This self proclaimed Cupid knew exactly what she was doing. She got Holly and Ford to finally act on their feelings. This definitely was not an easy relationship but they did figure it out and got their happily ever after.
Judi
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Playing for fun or for keeps...

This best friends to lovers to more story is sweet, sexy fun for us. Happy go lucky Ford and his geek girl friend Holly are inseparable, but just friends right? I love this small close knit town and the family of inhabitants make you want to move down there with them.
Kerry H
Neither wanted to hurt the other

This was a difficult read for me although a good story with endearing characters, I had to revert back several chapters to clarify why the weren't together. Neither wanted to hurt the other... oops, too late. Holly's family issues were brought up several times but not resolved.
Kim
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have read all the other books in this series and loved them but this one did not keep me glued to the story like the others. Best friends slowly moving to more than and pulling back. Same old same old.
Becca
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Playing for Fun

A wonderful friends to lovers story. All the characters were well developed and interesting. Easy to read - even if you haven't read all of the other books in the series.
Mandi Morgan
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute story. Though it felt like half way through the book the characters swapped personalities. It does end in a happy ever after though. Which was great. And I have already bought the next book.
Pamela T Lindau
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, sassy read

Holly is strong and yet a very sensitive young woman. Ford is sexy as hell but has his demons. Holly's strength is Ford's salvation. Enjoyable read. Makes one want to visit New Zealand and experience the beauty of the land and people for themselves.
Christine Hayes
was good
Margarette Dibble
5 Stars

I would recommend this book to adults that enjoy stories that are funny, steamy and romantic, with strong characters both male and female
Merry
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny

It was delightful to revisit Stewart island again. I laughed with the familiar characters and really enjoyed the story of Ford and Holly.
Victoria
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book to read
Marcia
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book. Well and tastefully written and well-developed characters.
Patsy Fox
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Charcters are interesting and cute story .
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add a book to my series :-) 3 13 Oct 15, 2015 12:37PM

• See You Again (Wishful, #8)
  • Loving the Texas Lawman (Forever Texan, #2)
  • Once Upon a Texas Christmas (Whiskey River Christmas, #4)
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Bride (The McCall Brothers Book 4)
  • Hannah (Farraday Country, #8)
  • Made In Paradise (Family Forever #2)
  • All He Wants For Christmas (Yours for Christmas Book, #1)
  • Unwrapping Jade (Wishing Well, Texas, #8)
  • Turn My World Around (Wishful, #6)
  • You for Christmas
  • A Match Made at Christmas (Christmas in New York, #4)
  • Love Untamed (Diamond Creek, Alaska #4)
  • Loved by You (Riding Tall 2, #2)
  • Christmas Glitter (Moore Sisters of Montana, #1)
  • Halloween at the Graff (Holiday at the Graff, #1)
  • Last Chance Christmas (Road to Romance, #1)
  • Kiss Me Forever (Bachelors & Bridesmaids #1)
  • His Christmas Cowgirl (Wildflower Ranch #6)
Tracey Alvarez lives in the Coolest Little Capital in the World (a.k.a Wellington, New Zealand) where she’s yet to be buried under her to-be-read book pile by Wellington’s infamous wind—her Kindle’s a lifesaver! Married to a wonderfully supportive IT guy, she has two teens who would love to be surgically linked to their electronic devices.

Fuelled by copious amounts of coffee, she’s the author of c

Stewart Island (10 books)
  • In Too Deep (Stewart Island, #1)
  • Melting into You (Stewart Island, #2)
  • Ready to Burn (Stewart Island, #3)
  • Christmas with You (Stewart Island, #4)
  • My Forever Valentine (Stewart Island, #5)
  • Drawing Me In (Stewart Island, #7)
  • Saying I Do (Stewart Island, #8)
  • Home For Christmas (Stewart Island, #9)
  • Bending The Rules (Stewart Island, #10)