Start by marking “Playing For Fun (Stewart Island, #6)” as Want to Read:
Playing For Fun (Stewart Island, #6)

Playing For Fun (Stewart Island #6)

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  228 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
PLAYING FOR FUN is the sixth story in Tracey Alvarez’s best-selling Due South books set against the stunning backdrop of Aotearoa, New Zealand. If you like Jill Shalvis, Marie Force, or Bella Andre, then you’ll enjoy diving into these heart-warming, sexy & seductive small-town romances with authentic men and women struggling to find their special someone.

Wanted: A woma
ebook
Published December 17th 2015 by Tracey Alvarez

To ask other readers questions about Playing For Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing For Fun

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Playing For Fun is book six in the Due South series by Tracey Alvarez. I was generously provided this book in exchange for an honest review by the author.

Playing for Fun, Tracey Alvarez:

I have loved this series from the start and have been so excited to go back to Stewart Island and see the people I have grown to love throughout this series. This book focuses on Oban’s resident mechanic, Ford Komeke, and the part time hair dresser and Ford’s best friend, Holly Parker.

Jason Momoa:

Ford has been single and without the company of a woman for
Siobhan Davis
Anyone that follows me on social media will know I am a massive fan of Tracey's Due South series. I was therefore very excited to get the opportunity to beta read this book in advance of publication.

What can I say? I LOVED Holly and Ford's story and I ADORED being back in the amazing small-knit community that Tracey has created, and it was FANTASTIC to catch up with some of my favorite characters (especially Shaye and Del, they are my absolute favs)

Ford had a very difficult early childhood, and
Sherilee Gray
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Playing For Fun was everything I hoped it would be and more.

The Due South Series is my happy place. If you want your happy place to be loaded with a whole bunch of book boyfriend worthy heroes, heroines you could easily imagine as your best friends, and let’s not forget the smoking hot smexy scenes! I LOVE this whole series. LOVE.

I fell for Ford as soon as he crooked his finger thorough the pub window at Holly. After that I was toast. He hides the pain and anger he carries around from the tough
Johanna Sawyer
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from the author to read and review but the opinions in my review are my own!

This series is fabulous! I'm not a big romantic but this series sure makes me wish I was. I have really grown to love this author and her beautiful work. Not only is the storyline and plot gold but the chemistry strikes hot right off the page. Ford and Holly are besties with a serious attraction for each other, in fact everyone seems to know they're destined but them. The matchmaking old ladies on the
Doris
Review @ To catch a falling book

**I've received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated for my review, and I was not required to write a positive review. The opinion expressed here is my own.**

„Playing for Fun“ ist der mittlerweile 6. Band der Reihe und Hollys und Fords Geschichte. Beide sind schon altbekannte, liebgewonnene Figuren, da sie Freunde der bisherigen „Due South“-Pärchen und somit bereits als Nebencharaktere in Erscheinung getreten sind

Holly
Stephanie
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This sixth book in the Due South series is a sweet, fun, sexy, slightly heartbreaking friends-to-lovers tale. I love this series, and overall I loved this one too. There are a lot of things I really liked about it, but one minor issue is preventing me from wholeheartedly loving it as much as I could have. (I'll get to that later.)

Ford and Holly are best friends and have been supporting players in the rest of the series. Holly has been the sounding board for friend Shaye's romantic woes, and a ma
Kat Desi
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Every time I read a small town romance novel, I feel like it's Christmas time for me! While I've read my fair share of them, I've never read one that is set in New Zealand which I found pretty exciting because I've always wanted to go there. Aotearoa, as the Maori called it. Before we get to the romance part of the story, I really would like to say first that I appreciated the glimpse of the Maori culture in this novel. I have always been intrigued by them and had always meant to do read a littl ...more
Bette Stanek
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Book six in the Due South series by Tracey Alvarez is full of fun and quirky characters. Set in Oban, a small island village in the south of New Zealand, where everyone knows your business, but no one cares like the people of Oban.

Holly and Ford, it’s been a long time coming. They grew up together, they’re part of one another’s “family.” Holly crushed on Harley, Ford’s twin, when she was in high school. The twins carry a lot of baggage from their mother, but Ford’s baggage is the worst. Hol
Jackie
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great next book in the series!

If you are a fan of Tracey Alvarez's Due South series, I think you will enjoy this book. It was great to read about Holly and Ford and to catch up with the rest of the gang. I have the urge to go back right now to re-read the rest of the series!
MaryRhonda
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I loved this story of Ford and Holly. Mrs. Taylor is a hoot and when she made Holly be the one to find Ford a woman was almost too much. This self proclaimed Cupid knew exactly what she was doing. She got Holly and Ford to finally act on their feelings. This definitely was not an easy relationship but they did figure it out and got their happily ever after.
Melanie
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kann aus besten Freunden ein Liebespaar werden? Mit dieser Frage müssen sich Ford und Holly auseinandersetzen, als eine nette ältere Dame beschließt Ford bräuchte nun endlich eine die Frau fürs Leben und Holly als seine beste Freundin würde in der großen weiten Welt des Online Dating wohl eine für ihn finden. Problematisch wird es, als aus ihrer Freundschaft mehr wird, sich ihre Gefühle ändern und auch noch ganz andere Aspekte berücksichtigt werden müssen, wenn es darum geht wie es mit ihnen we ...more
Cupids Bookshelf
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** I received an ARC copy of this book in exchange for a honest review ***

'Playing for Fun' is a sweet, emotional, story about old friendships that grow into deeper emotions. Both protagonists have their issues to overcome in order for them to possibly come together and work as a couple. Sometimes the hardest thing to do, is take the chance on romance, especially at the risk of an already wonderful friendship with that person.

Tracey Alvarez did a great job capturing my attention and holding it
Frankie
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Holly and Ford have been mild secondary characters in a few of the books and we had gotten the hint that Holly had some feelings towards Ford so I was really looking forward getting to know each of them. Ford was always very reserved but straight to the point in the few insights we had with him previously and Holly was ever the bubbly, faithful friend quoting star signs knowledge.

The story, as always with Ms Alverez's writing, gets straight into the story and I love that. No waiting for 3 chapte
Roberta Capizzi
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great story of friendship and love in the sixth book in the Due South Series, Playing For Fun will not disappoint fans of author Tracey Alvarez’s books. But if you’re new to the series, the good news is you can start at this point and get pulled into the Due South world without any problems. The good thing about this series is that every book works well as a standalone, but it is obviously enjoyed that little bit more if you’ve read all the previous books and met all the side characters ...more
Rach Lawrence
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2015, review-request
Review originally posted on Rach Lawrence Books.

*I was provided a copy of Playing For Fun by the author in exchange for an honest review. I am not compensated for my honest opinion.*

Holly Parker finally lands her dream job, but there’s a catch. In order to finally work full-time as a hairdresser, she’ll have to leave her home, her friends, and her budding relationship with best mate Ford. Her feelings for Ford have taken a dip outside the friendzone lately, but when Ford appears to want to look
Alison
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated for my review, and I was not required to write a positive review. The opinion expressed here is my own.

This is the sixth book in a lovely series about a group of likeable people in a small island in New Zealand, even if it is rather implausible that so many of them find love so close together - or maybe it isn't, maybe they reach that age and start to look for love.

Holly is a part-time cas
Susan
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Thank God we are back in Oban again! As in all her books, Tracey Alvarez brings all the people in this community to life, and they are all people you want to get to know and stay friends with always. And now the spotlight turns on Ford, a town mechanic and dreadlocked guitarist who often plays at the Due South, and who has wandered in and out of the other stories in the Due South series. As has Holly, who works at supermarket to pay for rent and food, but spends time at her true avocation, styli
Judes
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All spicy lovers 18+
Shelves: fav
I just returned from visiting my dear friends from "Due South" on Stewart Island, catching up with the old gang. It was such a joy to see everyone again and as usual I was not disappointed with the drama and gossip when chatting with my best know-it's-all lady Mrs T. Yet again my girl has taken credit for pushing together members of the gang... Poor Holly and Ford, she got them good... And truth be told it's about time!

Holly and Ford's chapter in the 'Due South Series' has got to be the hottest,
Lucia
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Playing For Fun is based on the classic friends to lovers storyline. although I truly didn’t know whether this couple would make it to the lovers part with all the trials and tribulations Holly and Ford go through, some more heartbreaking than others (such as a few crazy women and red lace panties!). I just couldn’t stop reading until I finished; I was hooked from the start!

Along the way, the lessons of learning to ask for what you want and learning to open up and let people in is handled beaut
Rose O'toole
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This is another in Tracey Alvarez's Due South series and is one of my favorites! Taking place in New Zealand's Stewart Island, this book is about hair stylist and part time manicurist Holly and her best friend Ford who is a mechanic. Holly is independent and sassy while Ford is quiet and reserved but underneath he is smart and has a wonderful sense of humor which I always find sexy. I loved the friendship between Holly and Ford and I think it makes the romance even more special. Many romance boo
Marie
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is book six in the series and I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated for my review, and I was not required to write a positive review. The opinion expressed here is my own..

I don't even know where to start- Holly and Ford are two amazing but complex characters who between them have a whole boatload of emotional luggage, we have met them both numerous times in the earlier books in the series and I think this is part of what makes the serie
N
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this story! It takes place on a small island off New Zealand, among a group of twenty-something locals. Since it's a small place, everyone knows everybody else and each others' business, and most of them have grown up together. I had previously read the first few books in the Due South Series, but missed the last couple of stories. I vaguely recalled some of the characters, but don't quite know how most of them got paired up
Becky
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary
Another entertaining read in the Due South universe!

Playing for Fun is a friends-to-lovers romance, and it's an entertaining example of the genre. Holly and Ford have known each other forever--way back when, though, Holly thought she had a thing for Ford's twin, Harley. Before perpetual bachelor Harley took off to pursue his dream of being an artist, however, he let her down gently but firmly.

Fast forward several years...

Holly now admits that what she felt for Harley was nothing more than a scho
B.
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the sixth book in Tracey Alvarez’s Due South series that takes place on a small southern island, at the tip of New Zealand. I’ve enjoyed getting to know Stewart Island through this series and this book is no disappointment. It has a small town feel as an improbable group of attractive young people find their mates and happily ever afters. This story revolves around the attractive hairdresser, Holly, and her best friend, the hunky mechanic Ford Komeke. The hook for the story is that older ...more
Leebecki Whitehead
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated for my review, and I was not required to write a positive review. The opinion expressed here is my own."
I love this series and wasnt sure if this book would be as good but i was very wrong, its another excellently written book, i love all the characters in the books before and Ford was one i wanted to find out more about. This book has shown us about Ford from his awful life as a young child with his bir
Natasha
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy, romance
I'm always excited when a new Tracey Alvarez book is released, and "Playing For Fun" was no exception. Something I've enjoyed about the Due South series is how different the situations are between each books' set of main characters.

In "Playing for Fun," Holly and Ford have known each other since they were kids, but Holly had a crush on Ford's brother, Harley. Holly and Ford became closer friends when Holly moved back from a few years away learning to cut hair. There is a true friendship between
Jennifer G
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Sometimes the bravest thing you could ever do is to be honest, to be open. Sometimes it's too hard. It's much easier to go about as an easy-going, laid back friend to all. Everyone thinks that they know you, but they only know what you want them to see; never the ugly truth. Tracey Alvarez has once again captured human nature to perfection in this return to Due South Book 6.

Holly Parker is the local hair dresser, part of the island lady's group, best friend to Shaye. She's lovely, sweet, and has
Louise
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was provided with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated for my review, and I was not required to write a positive review. The opinion expressed is my own.

Playing For Fun is the sixth book in the Due South series but can be read as a standalone. This is another romance with a happily ever after but that doesn't mean that you wont enjoy the journey.

Tracey Alvarez is brilliant at making you visualize this small community and its inhabitants (it's definitely s
Tuyetmai
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stewart Island’s self-proclaimed matchmaker has a new project and his name is Ford Komeke. Wrangled into helping out is his long time best friend Holly Parker. Unbeknownst to all, is that her time on Stewart Island is drawing to an end. Holly readily takes on the task of finding Ford the perfect woman so that that when she leaves, she can pack her burgeoning feelings for him away forever.

Ford and Holly grew up together and have long been best friends. They have each other’s backs and words are u
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-freebies
3.5 stars - Worth a reader's time

Tracey Alvarez takes us back to Oban in NZ to the small community we have gotten to know in the previous Due South books. Don't worry if you are new to Ms. Alvarez's work, you can jump right in with this one and be just as comfortable as someone who has been with the series from the beginning. I should know - this is just my second Due South book and I felt right at home.

Playing for Fun follows Holly and Ford. These two have been friends for a long time and each
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add a book to my series :-) 3 13 Oct 15, 2015 12:37PM
  • The Bone Bearer (Telesa #3)
  • Santa Wore Leathers (Wild Heat, #0.5)
  • Magenta Mine (Invertary, #3)
  • Awakening
  • The Secret Life of Luke Livingstone
  • All Over the Place (Near & Far)
  • A Song for Sophie
  • Slightly Noble
  • Housewarming at the Orchard (Psy-Changeling, #13.2)
  • Snake Heart (Chains of Honor, #2)
  • The Dysfunctional Test
  • Best Laid Plans (Desire Resort, #2)
  • Godcorp
  • Verliebe dich nie in einen Rockstar (Die Rockstar-Reihe #1)
  • Miss Congeniality (The Misses Trilogy, #1)
  • Intimate (Intimate Relations, #1)
  • To Dare the Duke of Dangerfield (Wicked Wagers, #1)
  • Teague (The Family Simon, #4)
Tracey Alvarez lives in the Coolest Little Capital in the World (a.k.a Wellington, New Zealand) where she’s yet to be buried under her to-be-read book pile by Wellington’s infamous wind—her Kindle’s a lifesaver! Married to a wonderfully supportive IT guy, she has two teens who would love to be surgically linked to their electronic devices.

Fuelled by copious amounts of coffee, she’s the author of c

Stewart Island (8 books)
  • In Too Deep (Stewart Island, #1)
  • Melting into You (Stewart Island, #2)
  • Ready to Burn (Stewart Island, #3)
  • Christmas with You (Stewart Island, #4)
  • My Forever Valentine (Stewart Island, #5)
  • Drawing Me In (Stewart Island, #7)
  • Saying I Do (Stewart Island, #8)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
  • Bittersweet
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Heirs of Grace
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • The End of the Affair
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Twisted Up (Taking Chances, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forged In Ash (Red-Hot SEALs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Fangs and Fennel (The Venom Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)