Start by marking “Where We Fall” as Want to Read:
Where We Fall

Where We Fall

By all accounts, Abby Holden has it all. She’s the mother of a beautiful teenager and the wife of a beloved high school football coach. And all it took to achieve her charmed life was her greatest act of betrayal.

Coach Ryan can coax his team to victory, but he can’t seem to make his wife, Abby, happy. Her struggles with depression have marred their marriage and taken a tol
Published April 19th 2016 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Where We Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where We Fall

Elyse Walters
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS REVIEW contains ZERO SPOILERS......( I tell ya zilch) ....other that this is a TERRIFIC READ .....with powerful messages.

It's been a few years since reading Rochelle's novels. "Where We Fall", has an elevated sophistication and depth, which slowed my reading downed -(purposely on my part). I wanted time to explore my thoughts - -specifically- through the characters eyes without judgement.

At the start of "Where We Fall", the year is 1997. Ryan and Lauren are a couple. Abby is Lauren's best
Melissa
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it

This is only the second audio book that I’ve listened to and I have to say, I was pretty impressed. My first audio experience was a letdown, so I wasn’t convinced listening was for me, but I decided to give it one more shot. I happened to stumble across this one, never having heard of the author or the book, and I’m so glad I did. This book was such a pleasant surprise.

From the start, I was hooked. The story opens with Abby and Lauren, two best friends, and Lauren’s boyfriend Ryan, all
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Lake Union and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Deeply psychological, beautifully written, with stunning metaphors of water, and mesmerizing lyrical prose, Rochelle B. Weinstein delves into her characters’ complex souls with, WHERE WE FALL a troubled family on the verge of collapse. Mental Illness. Guilt. Secrets. Pain. Lies. Betrayal. Darkness. Depression.

Two parallels, a gripping, inspiring, emotional, and thought-provoking tale of mental illne
Myrna
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, first-reads
I really enjoyed Where We Fall. It has a good storyline, well written and liked the multiple characters’ perspectives. The main character, Abby, is not likable at times but I kept rooting for her. This novel also has a full range of emotions but love is definitely a strong theme felt throughout. I look forward to reading more by this author.

I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway contest. Thank you Goodreads!
boogenhagen
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Karen
Where We Fall by Rochelle B. Weinstein
I am writing this review with mixed emotions.
This is the story of a wife and mother who is afflicted with mental illness. The author is clearly adept at writing scenes where you can feel the emotional impact that this woman named Abbey experiences the pain and suffering. There is still so much stigma that an individual suffers with having this problem.
Why are we so accepting of heart disease or cancer, but not a disease of the brain?

Abbey is married to Ryan
Regina
Apr 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Thank you Netgalley for this preview! Throughout this whole book, I kept thinking - I really want to like this more than I do. The small town setting, Friday night lights and buried secrets made for an intriguing storyline. The author did a good job describing one of the main character's mental illness, but most of the book fell flat. The female characters were wholly unlikable and the male protagonist was made to look gullible and clueless. The ending was the part I found to be the worst part o ...more
Kendall
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Definitely see the struggle associated with mental illness and the unfortunate stigma that society has towards the mentally ill population.

It was refreshing that Rochelle was able to show through Abby's character how strong this stigma is towards mental illness and the negative perceptions that society has.

This novel was inspiring and emotional for me. I loved how Rochelle truly was able to define all of her characters in such a powerful light whether it was due to g
Darlene
This was another winner that I got for free from NetGalley.com.

Picking up this book was therapy. I felt I could relate with the main character, Abby, who seems beset with depression and anxiety. These are disabilities that pulled me from the workforce and 14 years ago. I've been through the medication, and therapy routes. I finally gave up. For the same reasons that Abby did. But watching her try to find answers gave me hope that if I try I might find my own answers.

Mental illness is a tough thi
Barbara White
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading this haunting novel several weeks ago, and I'm still thinking about the writing, the setting, and the characters. On one level, WHERE WE FALL is a simple story about three friends and a shocking secret that pushes them apart but also connects them forever. It almost freezes them in time. On another level, it's about the impact of mental illness on friends and family, and the struggle to treat and manage depression and anxiety. And yet it's also a multi-layered love story. That ...more
Heather
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love books where you get different characters’ points of views, slowly gleaning the truth out of them all one by one–and this book does just that. In Rochelle B. Weinstein’s WHERE WE FALL , a marriage that is hanging by a thread due to a wife’s long term bouts of depression and the husband’s unwillingness to do anything but hold everything tightly together as best as he can out of obligation is shattered to pieces when his ex-girlfriend/her ex-best friend resurfaces after disappearing ...more
Bethany Clark
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just randomly went and picked a book off my shelf a few weeks back and I was so happy that this fall beauty fell into my hands.
Such a sad, tragic love story that has its moments of pure joy along with its moments of utter misery when you see how the pain has hit each individual character of this book.
Abby seems to have the makings of a perfect life - the handsome husband, the beautiful daughter, the house - basically the cookie cutter perfect life. Not all things are as perfect as what they se
Jeanie
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Running from the truth has only exhausted and hardened me. What I see staring back is my solution. I am not willing to live the lie anymore. Anxiety occurs from threats of the subconscious. Own the real threat. Share it! If you step on them or push them down, they will manifest in some other way.

Ahhh the drama on this one - centered on mental illness, friendship and betrayal. Abby suffers from mental illness and her husband Ryan a successful high football coach is supportive...picking up the s
Maria Ryan
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Squeezing Toothpaste through a Pinhole

An attempted suicide early in the story throws a tumultuous marriage into further turmoil. This marriage exists as part of a long ago started love story that has never been resolved. As one angle’s mental distress took precedence over this threesome critical secrets were buried deep and each of the three players went off to lick their wounds, each in their own way.

Told in the alternating voices of the three principal characters along with the sole offspring
Brandie
Abby and Ryan seem to have the perfect marriage.
They went to college together, have a lovely daughter, Ryan is an amazing football coach.

But what most don't know is that Abby suffers from debilitating depression and anxiety. It's something she's always struggled with and just can't manage to find the right kind of help - or maybe she doesn't try.

Abby got exactly what she wanted in life. Except she got it through lies and betrayal and now can't let herself off the hook.

But as the book starts, A
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Abby Holden is a mother and wife, but she has been battling a secret that could tear apart her seemingly perfect life, but the secret is also tearing apart her. She must let this secret out and see where her world is after to get better. This book is told through her point of view, and her daughter, her husband and a college friend - all of them will be affected when the truth is released.

I have critiqued quite a few books on how they handle mental illness and a few people on Amazon have written
Kelly
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, netgalley
I was pleasantly surprised by this family drama that definitely kept me reading. Abby, Ryan, and Lauren are a trio in college. Abby is Lauren's best friend and Ryan and Lauren are dating. We meet up with them year's later with Ryan and Abby surprisingly married with a teenage daughter. Abby is struggling with untreated mental health issues, and her family is struggling.

This story is told from multiple points of view which I always enjoy. I found the book to be very well written and the characte
Lorrie
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you Net Galley and Lake Union Publishing for the opportunity to read this ARC. I enjoyed this story because it dealt with mental illness and the possibility for the control/recognition of such illness. What I most appreciated about this read was the hope that the mentally ill can find their way out of/or at least learn to have a happy, meaningful life while living with their mental illness. I identified with the main character and the strength she harnessed.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
A solid 4.5 read.
First, this cover is beautiful! I was drawn to it instantly! Where We Fall is a beautifully, almost poetic, look at the things that fracture the foundation of family. With heavy themes and told from various perspectives Where We Fall is a dynamic look into how depression, secrets, lies and guilt can tear at the seams of a family. A gripping and intense story worthy of any book club pick.
Lauren R.
3.5 stars. This was kinda a tough read! Lots going on - drama, depression, first love, etc. I liked reading about these characters but I didn't really LIKE any of them, if that makes sense. Abby was incredibly hard to feel sorry for and connect with. I have mixed feelings about the ending but I think it's the best one. I'd recommend this overall!
Lisa-Books Smiles
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! Amazing story about love, betrayal, friendship, family, forgiveness and mental health. This is one of those books that will stick with you for a long time.
Christine
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thank to NETGALLEY and LAKE UNION PUBLISHING for the chance to read and give an honest review.
I loved this novel, the authors writing style drew me right into the story. I enjoyed getting to know the characters, I came to care for them all.
Abby, Lauren and Ryan are college friends, Ryan and Lauren are so much in love, Abby is their best friend, it was always the three of them. Abby has always secretly has a crush on Ryan, and when Lauren leaves on a project, Ryan's father passes away, and A
Roxy
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
*goodreads giveaway ARC*

I would have rated it higher, but the thing that knocked it down for me was the character viewpoints. The story is told from 4 different characters, but there was no difference between their voices. It didn't make sense to me that a 16 year old would be talking as elaborately as the adult characters. Then again, I can't recall any average person thinking that way. It's beautifully written, but I think it would have been better if it wasn't told in first person viewpoints.
Carrie
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time following the story and felt Abby was more dramatic over small things than I could take. It was a Goodreads giveaway for me and I appreciate being able to see I am in a much better emotional state, than many.
Jackie Zydek
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Weinstein's quote "We are all imperfect people that cannot give up on one another. " Is a great reminder to us all. She portrayed mental illness/depression and those that are effected by it well through her cast of characters and the m realities they faced throughout the book.
Wendy Goldstein
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book started off a little slowly for me. I think it took about half way through for the real drama to begin and the pace to speed up. While it was well written and entertaining, it was also not a happy book for me and I really disliked the main Character, Abby.
Kent D Clauson
Unnatural ending,

Won't spoil the ending for those who will read book but, ending is not realistic. Loss respect for all characters involved.
Beth Peninger
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for this free readers edition. In exchange I am providing an honest review.

This is Weinstein's third title but my first to read of hers. And it takes on a topic that I'm interested in, that I experience - although not to the level one of the main characters does in the book.
Abby and Ryan have been together, as a couple, for 17 years. They have a 16 year old daughter, Juliana. Ryan is a hero football coach in their town and Abby? Well Abby is...li
Mandilynn
I'll admit, I typically don't read books like this. I tend to stay closer to Horror, Thriller, Mystery, Historical Fiction, and certain genres of YA. However, I downloaded the Kindle version with Audio because it was free with my Unlimited subscription. I'm truly trying to give other genres a chance. While there are times I stray from my preferred genres and actually end up really liking the book, this is not one of those times.

The characters were dull to me and completely unlikable. This inclu
Jeremy Reppy
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the strengths of this book is the portrayal of mental illness. One of the main characters, Abby, experiences significant depression and anxiety and this has had a profound effect on her marriage and her relationship with her (now teenage) daughter. The author does a good job of realistically portraying how mental illness impacts the sufferer and loved ones, as well as the struggle to confront the issues that are contributing to the mental illness so that the sufferer can gain a measure of ...more
  • The Way Back from Broken
  • Other Women
  • My Kind of Crazy: Living in a Bipolar World
  • Pennance
  • Looking Glass Lies
  • Unforgotten
  • Summer Court (The Tarot Witches, #4)
  • Bye Bye Bloodsucker (Wicked Good Witches #3)
  • Third Life: Taken (Life First #3)
  • Mars Rising (Saving Mars #6)
  • I Have People
  • The Eve Tree
  • The French Girl
  • Sweet Breath of Memory
  • All the Good Parts
  • The View from Casa Chepitos: A Journey Beyond the Border
  • Finding Out
  • Dust and Desire (Joel Sorrell #1)
Hi readers and friends! I'm Rochelle Weinstein, and I love to read as much as I love to write.

Check out my women's fiction novels, WHERE WE FALL, THE MOURNING AFTER, WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND, SOMEBODY'S DAUGHTER, and THIS IS NOT HOW IT ENDS (10/19) for emotionally driven storeis that are sure to touch your heart.

Or, visit my shelf to see what I've been enjoying. If you're an aspiring author, please c
“When a patient presents with symptoms of diabetes or heart disease, and the treatment is lifelong, the general population accepts the diagnosis as a matter of physical health. Unfortunately, diseases of the brain are classified and perceived differently than diseases of the body. Your brain forms your personality. Your behavior is the result of the disease, of the brain misfiring. It’s easier to separate blame and fault from an impaired kidney or a damaged aorta than from an obsessive, compulsive, phobic person.” 0 likes
“I am a prisoner in my bed. Much like I am in my mind. Lately,” 0 likes