Start by marking “You Know Me Well” as Want to Read:
You Know Me Well

You Know Me Well

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  11,024 ratings  ·  2,081 reviews
Who knows you well? Your best friend? Your boyfriend or girlfriend? A stranger you meet on a crazy night? No one, really?

Mark and Kate have sat next to each other for an entire year, but have never spoken. For whatever reason, their paths outside of class have never crossed.

That is, until Kate spots Mark miles away from home, out in the city for a wild, unexpected night. K
Published June 7th 2016 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about You Know Me Well, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sierra It's something I've always been aware of - attended my first pride in 1998 and definitely knew of it then, and still hear it from time to time.…moreIt's something I've always been aware of - attended my first pride in 1998 and definitely knew of it then, and still hear it from time to time. There's a "joke" about how lesbians bring a uhaul to the first date. Same principle. (less)

·  11,024 ratings  ·  2,081 reviews

Lola
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt, disappointed
I guess Katie and I have formed our own rainbow alliance. It feels like she’s something I’ve always wanted but didn’t know I wanted until I got it: a partner in crime.

I don’t want to write a single word. I will, but it pains me to. You see, I thought David Levithan and I had this connection. We used to bond fairly well and just… understand one another. He amazed me.

Now I’m not so sure anymore. I don’t know Nina LaCour—haven’t read anything by her—but I don’t think her co-writing this book is
Maggie Stiefvater
A fast-paced caper about a budding love between two girls and a dissolving one between two boys, set during the rainbow-splashed high of Pride Week.
Raeleen Lemay
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, young-adult
Book #6 for the #BookTubeAThon done!

This book was a fun, quick read, but was way too unrealistic for me to properly love it.
✨    jamieson   ✨
“I'm ready to love myself, but I'm not ready to lose you.
I'm ready to find myself, but I'm not ready for you to know what I find”

This book had the most iconic mlm/wlw solidarity and I am HERE FOR IT. To be honest, this was the exact kind of queer book I needed and I didn't even realise that until I read it. I loved the friendship between Mark and Kate, a lesbian and gay character and just how this whole book played out. I read it pretty much in one sitting and enjoyed all of it so much.

You
Kai
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, glbt
"I'm ready to lose myself,
I'm ready to find myself,
But I'm not ready for you to know what I find."

This was my first book by Nina LaCour and my fifth by David Levithan (and compared to the other 4 books I've read I liked this one best).
You Know Me Well is one of those books that you can easily read in one sitting. It has a great pace, relatable characters and never once gets boring. It's also incredibly romantic.
I have nothing to criticise. I enjoyed this a lot. It's
Claudia Ramírez
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
It was okay. I listened to this in audiobook :)
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*2.5/5

I'm so sad to be writing that I gave this book 2.5 stars. This was my most anticipated release of 2016, by two authors I adore. It is #ownvoices and stuffed to the brim with queer characters and it should have been perfect for me. But it wasn't.

Stuff I loved:
-How Pride was written. Every scene that was more focused on Pride than the characters themselves was well done and fun to read.
-The attention to queer spaces as safe spaces, and the fact that there was an acknowledgement that older
Lala BooksandLala
This was good, just not shout-it-from-the-rooftops good.
Aj the Ravenous Reader

I’m afraid to say but this book has finally made me realize that Mr. David Levithan and I should officially call it quits. Like I said, his writing is always thoughtful and beautiful but there’s just always something in his stories that makes a premise with great potential become quite too unrealistic. I don’t know how much of the story is on Ms. Nina La Cour but I’m still giving her a chance with Hold Still.

I’m not discouraging people to read this though because it could still be a quick, enjo
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Palm Springs commercial photography

Is this the beginning of the end? Am I officially getting too old for this shit???? Say it ain’t so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I refuse to believe that could be the case. Instead I’m going to blame the “meh” factor on (1) I’m in a horrible book slump and not really loving much of anything; (2) NetGalley is all-knowing and I should listen to them when they deny me a request instead of immediately putting myself on the library waiting list like a
AMEERA
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
3/5
Christine
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Larry great review 5
I would like to thank Net Galley, St. Martin’s Press, and the authors for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

Why didn’t they have books like this when I needed them decades ago? You Know Me Well is a YA novel exploring the angst of young LGBT love. Back in the day there was nothing, I repeat nothing, nada, zilch out there for us who were realizing we were different and not understanding why we were “not normal.” Thanks to the changing times, there is now plenty of l
Larry H
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I'm starting to think that David Levithan is my spirit animal. With every one of his books, he just gets me, you know?

Despite the fact that they sit next to each other in their high school calculus class, Mark and Katie have barely spoken to each other. So their official "meet cute" encounter is unlike any you've heard ofKate is hiding in a gay bar at the start of San Francisco's Pride Festival, running away before she gets the chance to meet the girl she's been dreaming about for months, when s
Rebecca
the following is the slightly edit version of an email i sent to the kind publicist that sent me an e-copy of this book:

DUUUUUUUUUUDDEEEEEE THIS BOOK. THIS FREAKING BOOK. I'M JUST, I CAN'T DEAL. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL? I LOVE IT SO MUCH? LIKE I HAD A COUPLE LITTLE ISSUES AND THEN BY THE END THEY WERE RESOLVED AND NOW I'M JUST HEAD OVER HEELS AND IN PAIN. I'M IN PAIN BECAUSE THERE IS NO MORE OF THIS BOOK. BECAUSE I HAVE JUST SPENT THE LAST FEW HOURS OF MY LIFE READING THIS WONDERFUL CREATION AND NOW I
Raquel Brune
Le doy un 4 por el buen rato. Me ha hecho feliz, me he sentido identificada con algunos de los sentimientos de los personajes y me ha sacado una lagrimilla. Teniendo en cuenta que no buscaba otra cosa en este libro me doy por satisfecha.

Una lectura amena, personajes con carácter y fáciles de querer (Kate y Violet ❤) y dos historias que demuestran que hay muchos tipos de amor y que todos son valiosos y hermosos. Puede que no sea una de esas novelas que te tocan el alma y cambian tu vida, no tiene
Josu Grilli
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-1-junio
Hice una review bastante intensa y larga hace unos días, pero viendo que Goodreads decidió quedarse pillado en el peor momento (justo cuando le das a 'guardar', pero no lo guarda), os dejo con la reseña en vídeo que hice en mi canal de YouTube donde obviamente explico las cosas de manera más directa y espero que con un poco más de humor que por aquí: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJmd5...
emily
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't really know how to rate this because right now it's 2:30AM and I'm feeling a lot of things, so I'm just going to keep it at 4 stars for now.

*EDIT* it's the next morning, at some point in the night when I was mostly asleep I switched to 5 stars, now I'm going back to 4 be officially saying 4.3..I think. A little more than 4 but not 5. Maybe 4.5? I hate star ratings. Anyway...

I don't think I can write a completely sufficient review of this book at this time, due to things I can't really
✘Tabby✘
Received from: St. Martin's Griffin
Received Via: NetGalley.com

THE REVIEW

Why this book?
This seemed like a book for me

What I thought

I loved this book!! Mark and Katie had a beautiful friendship in just a matter of days. They found eachother just when they needed one another. I felt so many emotions reading this book. I was happy, sad and even frustrated. Katie is the type of girl who runs away from anything good that happens to her, because she doesn’t think she deserves it. Mark is broken hearte
Mel
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just want to thank St. Martin's Press for sending me a finished copy of this book to read and review! I absolutely LOVED this book so I am SO happy to have a copy I can display!
It also gave me an excuse to pick this up right away when I might not have for a while.

It is not every day that a contemporary YA gets put into my favourites shelf. It is actually my least read genre and now all I can wonder is why? Why don't I read more YA contemporary? Why don't I read more LGBTQ+ fiction? Why have I
Carlos Peguer
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Hay veces en las que lees un libro y sabes que no es ninguna maravilla. Lees un libro y sabes que si lo leyeras en cualquier otro momento te parecería otra cosa, te daría bastante igual y le sacarías miles de fallos. Este ha sido uno de esos libros.

Llevo mucho (pero mucho) tiempo atascado con la lectura. Incluso aunque me gustara lo que estaba leyendo, me costaba muchísimo pasar de página, y mucho más acabar un libro. Este libro ha sido como un soplo de aire fresco después de todo eso, y no sabé
Acqua
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's nothing like happy queer books during Pride month. Especially when said books are set during Pride month themselves.

I loved how queer this was. Every single character but the parents is queer, and there's almost no homophobia. This isn't to say that there's no conflict - I love low-conflict queer romances too, but this isn't exactly one of them - it's just that the conflict is never driven by homophobia.
Kate has always idealized her best friend's cousin, Violet, but is afraid to get to
Kate (GirlReading)
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a fantastic read and utterly adorable!
I think what I loved most was the fact that we were almost dropped into the middle of a story already in the process of unfolding. The majority of the characters, having already come out, were happy and secure in their sexualities and relationships were already established, all of which were different but with an equally honest, real feel to them. I loved that although this had a focus around romance, as a reader we got to watch a strong frien
Lotte
2.75 stars maybe? I didn't really enjoy this book, but the ending definitely pushed my rating up by half a star. I don't know. I'll think about it for a little bit longer...
Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen
description

DNF at 68%

You know me well is the title of the book and…

It didn’t end well for me.

I am really sorry. I really tried to finish and liked this one, but I must end this because I know I will be disappointed. It’s the reason of it’s not you, it’s me.

The story was focused on the LGBT concept and I am a supporter of this cause, but the story was really tedious. I can’t connect to the characters, which I murmur to myself, was it my fault?

It’s only based on my opinion; if you want this one, just g
Moi Baltazar
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
“I'm ready to lose myself,
I'm ready to find myself,
But I'm not ready for you to know what I find.”

I really enjoyed reading this book. 👌
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
"And we step off the curb, all of us together, as if to say, Here we come- through hard days and good ones, through despair and through exhilaration, in love and out of love, for just now or for forever. Here we come. It's out parade."

As made clear by the four star rating, I love this. It's exactly what I expected, maybe even better. Usually Levithan novels deal with deep and even dark topics without lowering the general mood of the novel. this one did that very well. I'm definitely going to l
Justine
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed-books
I may be biased because... well, David Levithan. But it was such a heartwarming read. I identified with Marc on such a weird level. I'm not a guy and I'm not gay, but love and friendship doesn't know no boundary. And as always, David Levithan knows what to say to make you feel better about a heartbreak. And as always, David Levithan knows how to make you feel better about yourself. And Nina Lacour was a good surprise as well, though I had a few problems with Katie. But towards the end, I really ...more
Lily ☁️
“Each minute is bringing me closer to a future I’m not ready for.” (Have I ever read anything more relatable, you ask? (view spoiler)) 🌈

Blog ¦ Bloglovin’ ¦ Tumblr ¦ Instagram
Katie
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
this is probably around a 3.5. I thought this story was cute and fun, meaningful, but still kind of surface level. I didn't expect anything else, considering it was only about 250 pages. I loved the setting of pride week in san francisco and thought it really made the story that much more nice.
ALSO can we talk about how the main character and i have the same name?? Because that never happens :P
Stacee
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Nina's words and will greedily look for all of her books. I requested this book on her name alone, I didn't even read the synopsis first.

I loved Katie and Mark. I loved how they struggled with their similar-but-different situations. I love how they relied on each other to help. And I more than loved the dual POV.

Nina's words {and David's too} are filled with such longing. I felt everything that these characters did. From the rush of a first kiss to the excitement of a pride parade to th
  • Because of Her
  • Girl Mans Up
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
  • The Great American Whatever
  • Anything Could Happen
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Take Three Girls
  • The Porcupine of Truth
Nina LaCour grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. Her first job was at fourteen in an independent bookstore, and she has since worked in two others. She has tutored and taught in various places, from a juvenile hall to a private college. She now teaches English at an independent high school.

Of Hold Still, Nina says:

“This book is about loss, and it’s also about art. The loss part comes from a clas
“I'm ready to lose myself,
I'm ready to find myself,
But I'm not ready for you to know what I find.”
28 likes
“You're becoming. You're in the process of becoming. You just don't know what yet.
That felt right. It felt okay to stop there, for now, as we walked through the future.”
21 likes