Start by marking “Trauma is Really Strange” as Want to Read:
Trauma is Really Strange

Trauma is Really Strange

What is trauma? How does it change the way our brains work? And how can we overcome it?

When something traumatic happens to us, we dissociate and our bodies shut down their normal processes. This unique comic explains the strange nature of trauma and how it confuses the brain and affects the body. With wonderful artwork, cat and mouse metaphors, essential scientific facts,
Published December 21st 2015 by Singing Dragon

To ask other readers questions about Trauma is Really Strange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trauma is Really Strange

Start your review of Trauma is Really Strange
David Schaafsma
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gn-psych
Since I happen to have checked out Heroes in Crisis by Tom King about the concept of PTSD in superheroes (! I know, a strange link), I thought I would look for non-fiction comics books on the subject, and found this book illustrated by Sophie Standing, who has done similar books on health. Trauma is Really Strange has an invitingly light and strange title; it's a short, informative lecture on ptsd written by someone who works with this population. As a lecture, as opposed to a comic, it's a lot ...more
Wayne McCoy
'Trauma is Really Strange' by Steve Haines, with illustrations by Sophie Standing is the kind of graphic novel, you might overlook, but what is does in it's short 32 pages is pretty amazing.

The book examines what happens to the brain and body when trauma happens. We can go into a disassoiated state where we feel disconnected from our bodies. This happens in PTSD as well as other trauma. Rather than dwell on the causes or the past, the book offers techniques that are used to get patients through
Ladan
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger or fucks you up mentally? That is the question!

The book provides a definition for trauma, and how it functions while promising that we can undergo, recover and learn from the experience. Our reflexes to perilous situations imitate a life-death scenario in order to protect us. However, they lead to physical discomfort. The book comes up with the idea of "OMG" to control the situation and calm down, yet I don't find it practical or useful! And I got highly
Sandy
I did not think this was very well written. I understand that it's difficult to distill complex information down to a simple comic, but I think it could have been done better, for example by providing clear definitions of terms like "grounding." I think anecdotes from individuals who have dealt with trauma themselves would have worked well.

I'm also very skeptical of some of the claims made. Restless Leg Syndrome is not "shaking" and it's not clearly tied to trauma, as far as I know. I am very s
I like cake
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really good comic strip style introduction to trauma. It doesn't really cover non-NT people's best recovery methods, which do differ significantly. Also, I felt a little stressed at trauma being defined as 'that which overwhelms' since I am overwhelmed much of the time, and so dissociation is a part of my life and not something I am ever in permanent recovery from. However, it is a very good introduction to what happens in the brain when a person is traumatised, and I liked the pictures. It wo ...more
M. Jane Colette
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a BRILLIANT, absolutely brilliant, comprehensible in its entirety explanation of what trauma is--to both those trying to work through it and those trying to understand what it is that happens in the minds-bodies of their loved ones. The author and illustrator work so well together to

a) tell a story that's

b) supported by academic / scientific research

c) but never bogged down it

d) simple to understand but never simplified

I wish I had read this book three, five, ten years ago.

So grateful
Finbar
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great graphic representation of very dense research into how we experience and process trauma. It highlights some of the concepts and inferences of research into this topic from the last two decades and presents the information in an easily digestible format. This is a great way to demystify the insights we have gained from recent scientific research. It is a great addition to my waiting room library.
Ana
I need more books/comics/graphic representations like this one!

Taking a "serious" & heavily researched topic and turning it into a charming and colourfully simplified version, not missing on the most significant references in this field of study. I great starting point for those interested to learn more about trauma and how it affects us!
Stephanie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very cool concept. Teaching about trauma through comics in a short, easy book was a wonderful idea. I am already recommending this book to my clients. If you are someone who has experienced trauma or knows someone with trauma, I definitely recommend this in order to learn the basics!
Danielle
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Can’t say i got much from this
Jessie Drew
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative, intense, well researched and compassionate.
Lexie
Want a primer on trauma? Here it is. Published in 2016, Steve Haines' graphic distillation of what trauma is and how we can mend some of its effects is loaded with wisdom. It's as if Haines was invited into the minds of sages like Peter Levine, Bessel van der Kolk, and Stephen Porges, and drew out the essence of what we need to know.

This little book is a gem and I'd love to see it in the hands of every person on the planet. If you wonder what trauma is, or if you want to help another person und
Kristine
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Trauma is Really Strange by Steve Haines is a free NetGalley ebook that I read during an early morning in December. Being as I live with free-floating anxiety nearly everyday, I knew that this book could offer a new perspective (even though the cover looks a little bit like the Handbook for the Recently Deceased from Beetlejuice).

This book is actually a 30-page ecomic/handbook that relates information through traditional comicbook cells (usually progressive horizontal rectangles) with non-tradit
Sean Lambert
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant synthesis of work by contemporary trauma researchers. And it's a comic book. This is now my first recommendation to anyone interested in theories about what causes trauma, how it manifests, and how it can be resolved. Really amazing work. Also check out Pain is Really Strange.
Clorinspats Clorinspats
Highly recommend for people who need to understand what they are going through. The comic form makes it easier for me to understand information, and I think it really helped me to wrap my head around what trauma is for me.
Maggie Ignasiak
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Would recommend to anyone trying to understand their own trauma or anyone else's experience. It is easy to understand and has great references. This book felt more like a conversation than a lesson.
Ellen
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lot of potential but it felt like it could have easily been twice the length.
Heather
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to give this to everyone I know. It's an approachable guide to understanding how trauma works and the processes it serves.
Amanda
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the use of graphic novel format to provide information about how trauma affects the brain and the ways to work through trauma. It was informative and helpful, a great idea!
Julia
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Really short book, really heavy content. Take as a reference, or in small doses, or with notes for future use so you only have to read it once.

This book echoes a lot of current thought about trauma, as evidenced by TED talks and my therapist and conference presenters who talk about building resilience through grounding activities. This book has lots of citations to back up what they’re saying, and good information on how trauma impacts the body, and how we can build resilience to overcome the b
Chels Patterson
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Trauma is really strange by Steve Haines, art by Sophie Standing is enlightening. It puts together the history of trauma understanding, the physiological aspect and the way to heal the reactions of the body.

It has nothing to do with understand or dealing with your trauma, or reliving it. But rather the wiring of the brain and body. What I really enjoyed was the explanation of responses other than just flight or fight.

It’s a must read to understand your bodies reaction to trauma and how other p
Shelley
This short book uses a graphic approach to teach the principles of trauma therapy. I personally felt overwhelmed by so many graphics plus the writing but I suspect certain people need the graphics to better understand the written material.

The important thing to me is that the written material is accurate and useful. I suspect that even in this simplistic format the information may still seem too complicated for some people, but I think it's worth a try if you tend to prefer visual plus written
Augusta
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book more or less depicts physical traumas and gives explanations coupled with possible tactics to gradually overcome those. However, by expecting that it would dive more into psychological traumas and how they affect the brain and the successive psychological troubles, this book barely offers anything. It's good to know, but it's just a fraction of the whole picture.

Props for the format and the illustrations making the reading experience almost enjoyable and easy to digest.
Emilia P
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Hmmm... I don't remember how this book is different from the comic about PTSD? More graphics of brain anatomy? Eh! If I can't remember, I'm not sure it was particularly amazing. Goodish technical stuff, but ...maybe Graphic Medicine needs to get together on making some omnibuses of this kind of stuff.
M.E. Rolle
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting format for a book about trauma. Has some good information, but accepts as fact Freudian theories about trauma that have since been challenged with theories that make more sense to me, as a trauma survivor. (Primarily, I am troubled by ongoing acceptance of the idea that all trauma survivors fail to consciously experience or record their traumatic experiences.)
Megan
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 - not what I expected, it's a cartoon/comic-ish book, very short. Good intro to trauma and hitting the main points. but such an interesting topic, I'd read more on it. maybe a clearer definition of levels of trauma, to see where people fit on the continuum would help. there were 3 categories, but it didn't really answer enough. good starter book, and fun drawings inside.
Rosanna
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. All of the books in this series are worth reading especially if your going through difficulty in your life. These books are quick and easy to read and help us understand why our body is reacting the way it is. It also helps us understand why the brain is thinking and feeling the way is it. Highly recommended.
Kate
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
I thought the illustrations were excellent, I was less impressed by the narrative. I found it quite complex and think it could have been more user friendly. I work with people with trauma and so I was reading this to see if I could recommend it to clients. I’m not sure I would as I didn’t feel that the narrative gelled very well. Bit disappointing, but a lovely looking book!
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A basic overview of the long term affects of trauma.I found it very comprehensive for a tiny booklet of 35 pages. It covers everything from the definition of Trauma, some if its more recognizable physical symptoms, polyvagal theory, and the more widely know tools to help build resilience. Its a great place to start if your looking to understand trauma better.
Carla Ciccio
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great illustrated book about anxiety and really helps with understanding and becoming more self-aware.

Would recommend to anyone struggling with mental illness, but also for anyone who loves someone who's struggling with depression, anxiety and other mental illness.

• Forgiveness is Really Strange
  • The 6-Minute Diary
  • Hark! A Vagrant (Hark! A Vagrant, #1)
  • Petals of the Moon: A Poetry Collection
  • Hundert. Was Du im Leben lernen wirst
  • Our True Intent Is All for Your Delight: The John Hinde Butlin's Photographs
  • Dreaming of Cupcakes: A Food Addict's Shamanic Journey Into Healing
  • Patronen Doorbreken: Negatieve Gevoelens en Gewoonten Herkennen en Veranderen
  • Footnotes in Gaza
  • Recovering from Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Reclaim Your Emotional Autonomy and Find Personal Happiness
  • Take It as a Compliment