Jump to ratings and reviews

The Columbarium

Where can you find a cookie jar in the shape of a baseball filled with the ashes of an 84-year-old Chinese woman or a cardboard take-out carton with the remains of a 350-pound, agoraphobic pot-dealer? The Columbarium is the backdrop for peering into the eccentric lives of some of the dead, as well as of the people they left behind. Jed, a Jonestown survivor, takes a job fixing up the columbarium and ultimately comes to terms with his past and his own psychological demons. When the columbarium is vandalized, the mourners and Jed band together to preserve the memories of their loved ones, and in the process, they understand that belonging and connecting to others is what gives life meaning. A house for the dead becomes a venue for celebrating life.

255 pages, Kindle Edition

First published October 9, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Emily Gallo

8 books11 followers
I View My Life In 3 Acts

Emily Kaufman was the girl growing up in Manhattan in the fifties and sixties. In the sixties and seventies, I attended Clark University and lived in San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and Seattle doing the hippie/peace/love/protest thing.

In the eighties and nineties, Emily Saur lived in Northampton, MA and Davis, CA and was the more conventional wife, mother of two, and elementary school teacher.

In 2006, I retired from teaching and became Emily Gallo when I married David, a professor of economics, and moved to Chico, CA to continue our journey. I started writing screenplays and television and moved into novels. David, Gracie (our Schillerhound), Savali (our cat) and I now divide our time between two and a half acres of gardens, orchards in Chico and a 750 square foot condo on the beach in Carpinteria, CA.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (3%)
1 star
1 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews
Profile Image for Contentmo.
184 reviews10 followers
July 15, 2019
Another great book!
Emily Gallo is a writer who crafts compelling stories with characters you care about .. and she does it wonderfully in this book. It's a "don't miss!"
Profile Image for Pat Roberts.
359 reviews2 followers
December 3, 2022
I was drawn to this book because my son and I had visited the Trident Columbarium “to find a little angel” while we were visiting San Francisco. Son thought i was a bit crazy but he went along with it and found the place to be more interesting than he thought it would be. I wish we had something similar in the Midwest instead of row upon row of sedate drawers for the ashes of the deceased.

The story of Jed was interesting, if not a tad cliched and syrupy. He was too good to be true. And
a social worker falling hard for some homeless guy who strolled into office? Fat chance of that.
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.