Start by marking “Promises Part 1 (Bounty Hunters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Promises Part 1 (Bounty Hunters, #1)

Promises Part 1

(Bounty Hunters #1)

Duke Morgan owns and operates one of the largest bail bond companies in Atlanta. Not only does he bond criminals out of jail, he and his notorious group of bounty hunters will also track them down and ensure they show up for court.

Roman ‘Quick’ Webb is Duke’s business partner and best friend. Both men are in their forties and have given up on the happily ever after with
Published October 16th 2015 by Via Star Wings Publishing (first published October 14th 2015)

Start your review of Promises Part 1 (Bounty Hunters, #1)
Wendy
re-read 2/25/19 and still loved it !!!

4,5

I first read this book in 2017 and I have re-read it a couple of times since then. I've come to love A.E. Via's books.

So far they haven't disappointed me, and I always feel truly entertained. Sure more often than not they are a bit OTT, but I kinda like it that way!

photo large_zps4l5yytvs.gif

This book felt a bit different from all the others though, it was way more emotional and the steam (although very nice) didn't come until after 60 %. There was a reason for that though.

If you've
Barbara➰
Reread January 2018

I decided to do a reread so I can read part 3 that I still haven't read. For some strange reason Vaughan didn't come across as femme this time to me...go figure. But, Duke annoyed me more with his constant thoughts about FUCKING JUDGE and comparing him to Vaughan etc.

And speaking of FUCKING JUDGE...I still hate him and I just don't think I could ever read his book. It pisses me off that he continues to treat Duke as if he still has rights to him. He needs to be gone.

Originally
~Mindy Lynn~
2.5*

I feel like I was reading a completely different book then everyone else. Because while everyone has loved it, I didn't much care for it at all.

I know! I love this authors Nothing Special series and have enjoyed a few of her other books, but this one was a complete struggle for me to get through. The book seemed to be a bit of a mess. There were quite a bit of typos. I was surprised by that because usually this authors books are never in need of any editing, but this one for sure needs to
Deborah
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it

3.5*

This book along with many others has been on my to-read list for ages and it's the first book I've read from this author.
I'm not sure what I expected but I didn't expect it to be so sweet but it is, cute and sweet.
After his lover Judge has moved on Duke finds himself alone and lonely but this doesn't last long since his friend and partner Quick's son Vaughan is back and determined to have Duke.
Vaughan has been crushing on Duke for the last fifteen years but now he's a man and determined to
BWT (Belen)
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I'm not going to lie to you...I was hesitant to grab this up because I see "Part I" and I immediately think "Cliffhanger". But after being assured this was a story with its own beginning, middle and end, and ABSOLUTELY NO CLIFFHANGER...well, I dove right in. Let me tell you, this is going on my M/M favorites shelf and it's in my top three A.E. Via books ever written. I don't think fans of A.E. will be disappointed with either this story or the arc of where this is going.

Jimmy Kimmel

Forty-five year old
.Lili.
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, oct-15
I'm going to be the minority on this one.

This author comes with a large following and I was excited to dive into one of her stories. It started off great, but little by little it lost me. When I read this sentence:

"When Quick’s son, Vaughan Webb returns – after seven years - from studying abroad with his law degree in hand, he’s back to claim what he’s always wanted…his fathers’ best friend… Duke Morgan."

I thought we were in for a chase, but there was really not one here. The insta-love happened
Janie
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5-4stars. I absolutely adored Duke. This guy was a badass but also not afraid to show his feelings. He really just wanted someone to truly love him and to show it to the world. He got that with Vaughn. The thing that made this not be a 5 star read was Vaughn. He was very good to Duke and I didn't doubt his love but he was written a bit femme which didn't fit in with who his character was supposed to be imo. He's supposed to be all dominant yet he was almost written like a female. This is my ...more
Lyn
After reading Defined by Deceit, I was so sure A.E Via was going to be a favorite author. This book has me re-thinking that. This book delivered nothing but sap and cheez. Time and money not well spent at all.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
*Might contain spoilers*

Duke Morgan (45) owner and operator of one of the largest bail bond companies in Atlanta has given up on love. He used to ‘date’ (more like sleeping together) Judge (is that his name), but Judge left him for another man. A younger man. Duke's best friend and business partner, Roman ‘Quick’ Webb (49?)'s son is returning after 7 years of educating/studying to be a lawyer. A son which has huge feelings for Duke, which Quick supports. Huge feelings he has had since he was
Chris
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-crime, lgbtq
3.5 stars for this one. I enjoyed Duke & Vaughan's but it didn't quite hit the high paced vibe I get from AE Via. The chemistry was just a little off and maybe this spin off series hasn't quite hit the same mark and the awesome Nothing Special series. Hopefully book 2 brings me back to my happy place !
Bitchie
Hopefully this review goes through, GR is being a little bitch today.

I think this book had a lot of potential. I liked both Duke and Vaughan, but I felt that Duke fell for Vaughan WAY too fast. They have known each other since Vaughan was a kid, and Vaughan has been in love with Duke just about as long. There is more than a ten year age difference, and because of this, and the fact that Vaughan is the son of Duke's best friend, Duke never looked at Vaughan that way, until Vaughan came home from
Susan
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
BR with Els

From the dedication:

Duke holds a very special place in my heart so I had to put him with a man that wasn’t as hardcore and rough as what Duke was used to being around. Welcome…Vaughan Webb, Esquire. But because of their age difference and of course, Vaughan being Duke’s best friend’s son, I had to develop a situation that would make Vaughan undeniably the best thing to happen to Duke. I hope you enjoy their story.

I loved this. Duke is a 45 year old bounty hunter, but despite his rough
Elsbeth
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it

BR, October 26th with Susan

Well.... Geeez, I couldn't put this book down!!

Totally unbelievable but very much enjoyable, so there's that!!

I liked Duke and Vaughan. It was heartbreaking when tragedy happened and Vaughan felt torn and adamant to safe his man.

Next story will be about Vaughan's dad, Quinn and the sweet doctor Cayson.

Can wait for that...

Ele
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
*2.5 stars*

I completely agree with Lili's review on this.

I'm all over books with "my dad's best friend" as a trope, but there was barely any conflict here. Duke caved way to easily. Scratch that, he didn't resist at all. And the dad was weird too. He was friends with Duke for a long time and suddenly "I'd want you to be my son-in-law".

Also, I found the (view spoiler) totally weird.

I did like that Vaughan was the bossy top and not the other way around.
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
AE does Alphas so well....another thing she does his power bottoms well. Add that to a sexy age gap and well, its one unexpected surprise.

I think this is one of the "sweeter" books. Vaughan is such a romantic, dominating in his own right, but still so on love with the man (for a long time) that its just sweet and endearing.
When he said he was going to 'woo' him, I about died *thud*

While this story is about Duke and Vaughan,
Quick is a huge part of this book, and Ho boy that man is something.
~Volha~
The book was okay. It didn't blow my socks off like I expected. Maybe it was because I didn't really care for the characters of the story. Out of all of them I liked Vaughan, Quick's son, the most. He is driven, straightforward and knows what he wants. He wants his Dad's best friend Duke. He has waited for a long time and now he is ready to claim his prize. It was cute how V was all suave, voice dripping with sexual innuendo, how he basically blew into Duke's life and took over. I didn't mind ...more
Makhda
I re-read the good parts. Because I just love Vaughan. So I have to give this book some credit. I'm upping the rating (originally 3 stars).

*******************************************

It started really good. I thought it was going to be 5 stars. And then it kind of went down the hill...

What I liked :
- I liked the writing style.
- The chemistry.. Oh. My. God. Sizzling!! Yum!
- I loved how devoted Vaughan to Duke. *sigh*

(view spoiler)
Amanda
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc-netgalley
I thought this book is about the taboo. The hero in love with his best friend's son. But it seems like the said best friend was totally cool with his son being gay and in love with his friend. Okay.

Duke Morgan, 45, a bounty hunter. He had just got off a non-comittal relationship. Quick is his best friend/business partner.

Vaughn Webb, 31, a lawyer. He is Quick's son who grew up with his mother, only paying occasional visit to Quick. He had been in love with Duke since forever and now that he is
Leaundra
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Man this book was hot. If I could give it more than five stars I would. From the minute Duke and Vaughan were in the same room it was just so sexy hot. The chemistry between these two was so fricken good. I loved them together. I just loved them, they also were so sweet and in love. There is some sadness in here, not mentioning what it was, of course because you have to read it. But the way these two loved each other it made it bearable. I'm so excited for Quick's story and hoping there's going ...more
Tina
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it

3,5 stars

Promises is the first part of the Bounty Hunters series… we got a glimpse of the Bounty Hunters in Austin and Judge’s story in the 4th book of Nothing Special.

This first book is Duke (Judge’s former lover) and Vaughan’s story (son of his business partner and best friend Quick).

Liked those two so different men, how they managed to overcome numerous life threatening obstacles touched me deeply. Will definitely read the next installment. Hopefully it’s Roman and Doc’s story.
AliciaJ
This was so frustrating. I really liked the characters and the story, but the constant spelling and grammar errors were so distracting that it severely impacted my enjoyment. It just pisses me off to pay such high prices for a book that is so poorly edited. I don’t know if I’m going to bother with any of the other books in the series after this. It’s just really disappointing.
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
An ok reading.
The mcs didn't completely convince me, to me Vaughan seems more like an obsessed stalker rather than a man deeply in love and I suspect Duke could love any person who loved him.
But in the end I enjoyed the book, so I'll continue the series, I'm intrigued about Quick and the doctor's story!
Sanaa
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, m-m
3.75 stars.

This was like an insta-lust/love book and normally I don't enjoy them often but this was an okay read that made it bearable. Roman and Duke are best friends and work together. Roman's son, Vaughan, has had a crush on Duke since he could remember.

So when they do finally get together, it's like fireworks. It's hot and explosive.

I would have liked to see more of a development of them as a couple. I liked them individually as characters but we don't see enough as a couple.

A copy was
Johann Shah
I'd been leaving this book in a dust for months but finally I got a chance to read it. Duke was firstly introduced in the last book of Nothing Special series so I had to go back to that one again just to get Duke's part since I kinda couldn't figure out who he was exactly, and there was lovely Vaughan

Vaughan had been lusting after Duke since he was a teen. He had to get lost around Europe so he could go back to be a man that deserved his effort.

Duke seemed to lose his faith in love now that he
Santy
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a bit insta-lovey especially in Duke's case.He went from "o this is my friend's kid" to "love of my life" so fast I got whiplash. I guess if you're 45 and a smoking hot 31 year old pursues the crap out of you and proceeds to sacrifice for you you'd jump on the love train also right? Also, I guess he needed someone like that (Vaughan) in his life to fill the loneliness and didn't want to waste time when he came around.Ah Well.

Also, Vaughan came off as bit obsessed with Duke to me. The way
Shannon
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aa-recommend
I thought I'd be more squicked out by the age difference but it wasn't really all that big. I found myself with tissues many times in this book which I loved. Vaughn just made me happy. What a forceful little shit. And Duke. I loved him from the last book he was in. Was so happy he got his own story. This one was a little insta-love on Duke's side but I love that sappy shit. I'm waiting, not patiently, for Quick and the doc's story. Come on already, I'm dyin' here!
Helen
DNF - Cheese overload.

Moving on.

Vallie
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was ok

I am a fan of the author and the Nothing Special series , so when I found out that Duke would star in his own book in a new spin-off series, I was super excited. Unfortunately, the story did not deliver what I was hoping from the blurb and from the author’s previous works.

Vaughan had this crush on his dad’s best friend, Duke since was a teen. He lived abroad, finished his education, and stayed determined to come back and convince Duke to be with him. The way he went about it wasn’t

• Sadistic Sherlock (Ward Security, #4)
  • Diamond in the Rough (Four Kings Security, #4)
  • Vengeful Lover (Exit Strategy #2)
  • Devour (Unbreakable Bonds, #4)
  • Shatter (Unbreakable Bonds, #2)
  • Ignite (Unbreakable Bonds, #7)
  • Torch (Unbreakable Bonds, #3)
  • Join the Club (Four Kings Security, #3)
  • Blaze (Unbreakable Bonds, #5)
  • Shiver (Unbreakable Bonds, #1)
  • Psycho Romeo (Ward Security, #1)
  • Be Still My Heart (Four Kings Security, #2)
  • Fracture (Unbreakable Bonds #6)
  • The Truth Within (Pelican Bay #3)
  • Love in Spades (Four Kings Security, #1)
  • Deadly Dorian (Ward Security, #3)
  • A Sinner Born (Brooklyn Sinners, #3)
  • Finding Home (Finding, #1)
A.E. Via is an author in the beautiful gay romance genre and also founder and owner of Via Star Wings Books. Her writing embodies everything from hopelessly romantic to spicy to scandalous. Her stories often include intriguing edges and twists that take readers to new, thought-provoking depths.

When she's not clicking away at her laptop, she devotes herself to her family--a husband and four

Bounty Hunters (5 books)
  • Promises Part 2 (Bounty Hunters, #2)
  • Promises Part 3 (Bounty Hunters, #3)
  • Promises Part 4 (Bounty Hunters #4)
  • Promises: The Next Generation (Bounty Hunters #5)