Start by marking “Set the Pace (The Detroit Love Duet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Set the Pace (The Detroit Love Duet, #1)

Set the Pace (The Detroit Love Duet #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,914 Ratings  ·  326 Reviews
Jasper Storm was the bad boy next door.

Reckless.

Dangerous.

Trouble—with a capital T.

Regardless of how other people perceived him, he was my hero. He protected me. Shielded me. Kept me safe. And I would have done anything for him.

Fate tore us apart—leaving a world between us, and both our hearts broken.

Now Jasper is Detroit's white knight, a reckless rogue turned sexy savior
Published February 19th 2016 by Kim Karr

To ask other readers questions about Set the Pace, please sign up.
Andrea It says on goodreads, the expected publication for the next book is in May 2016.
Jovita Yes it does have end with a cliffhanger.

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
3.5-4 Stars

There's this need inside me that I can't fight-the need to stay close to her. It's as if somehow she snuck over that wall I've spent my whole life building so high and is getting inside of me.

I'm a huge Kim Karr fan. When she releases a new book, I jump on it, no second thoughts. So when I saw the blurb and cover for this pretty, suffice it to say I was utterly giddy with excitement to get my grubby little hands on it! What? I'm a cover whore, mkay! And that, my friends, is one li
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
LIVE AMAZON http://amzn.to/1TswyyL

4.5-5 BRILLIANT STARS

What a brilliant story! I loved Set The Pace. This book is so much more than just a romance. It had everything I needed and more. There is mystery, suspense and twists that will keep your interest. I was hooked from the first page, and honestly I didn't expect to like it so much!!

description

The plot was very intriguing, and the mystery kept me guessing. The romance developed slowly but it was perfect for the story. Both Jasper and Charlotte have to d
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Set the Pace
Series: The Detroit Love Duet, #1
Author: Kim Karr
Release date: February 21, 2016
Cliffhanger: Yes
HEA(view spoiler)

I finished reading this book two weeks ago. Two. Weeks. I've been putting off writing this because I wanted to be fair, but wasn't entirely sold on how to approach this review. On one hand, I can stand back and appreciate the thought behind the original story and the detail put into the mystery. It was unpredictable and well developed. However, I
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

description

20 years ago Jasper's beloved dad died in a horrible auto-plant explosion in Detroit.
That day was also the day 8-year-old Jasper saw his best friend Charlotte for the last time.

description

After fighting against all odds, with no money, an alcoholic/mentally absent mom etc., Jasper is now the proud owner of Lightning Motors, together with his best buddies.
Their love of cars made them start a new car company - a huge thing for this dead city.
And their new factory is supposed to be built in the exact same pla
Snow
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing

5 "WHY THE FUCK DID I WAIT THIS LONG TO READ THIS?" stars

Storm, my man...

cause , this was just...

fast paced, action packed, mystery crime drama with a whole lot of steam-uped passion between the friends to lovers intertwined plotline... Fuckin awesome!!!

freaking loved the characters in this, they were ALIVE, they were real and palpable, with as humanly realistic and authentic descriptions as one could imagine for a fictional characters to have...and I LOVED them, especially Jasper Storm and Char
Sybil aka Lala

My first thought when opening this book: ‘God, it seems really long to be part of a duet.’

My very next thought: ‘OMG, it’s over?!’

Jasper and Charlotte were childhood friends. Until one night tragedy struck and the auto-plant blew up, killing Jasper’s father and making Charlotte’s father the most hated man in Detroit. Twenty years on and Jasper is set to start building a factory that could change the whole of Detroit and Charlotte has returned on a mission of her own. When they face each other ag
Rosa Sharon (iScream Books Blog)
Dousing a fire with gasoline

I've come to expect Kim Karr to blow my mind…every time. And she does. I know going in that I need to pay attention and not get distracted or I might miss IT . You know, that one hint, that little glimpse of a clue that might not mean anything now, but everything later. It's always a mind-blowing rush to navigate the twists and turns as I anticipate a certain outcome. But still, even though I consider myself to be a pretty good profiler after watching numerous epis
Michelle
Copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review

photo 894dbc3cd559db413e2fe0c79d5e6e_zpsvhmwnihh.gif

First and foremost, let me just say that the cover of SET THE PACE by Kim Karr is absolutely stunning!!! And secondly, it’s no secret that I am a HUGE KIM KARR fan and so after reading the blurb, I was sold and couldn’t wait to dive into this story.

If you ever read a Kim Karr book, then you should know to always expect the unexpected. I swear Ms. Karr never fails to surprise her readers with all the twist and turns. She definitely sets th
✿kawehi.reviews
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
☆ I received an ARC via Give Me Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! ☆

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is the second Kim Karr I've picked up to read, and I have to say, it definitely grabs at your attention with its infectious plot premise, its characters, and beguiling writing that captivates you from start to finish.

I swear, the friends to lovers theme was what locked me in, along with the badboy race car driver included, and from then on I was hooked on this read.

12549135 533993446763478 7077542261422725718 n

Set the Pace has everything from hot s
Kim Karr
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Can't wait to introduce everyone to Jasper and Charlotte!!!
aNneMarLi - Chatterbooks Book Blog
5 +++ 'FORGET ME NOT' STARS!!!

“So you want to be a player, but your wheels aren’t fly. You have to hit us up, to get a pimped-out ride.”

Oh.My.God!!! SET THE PACE PLUS KIM KARR EQUALS PERFECTION!!! Roller coaster ride of emotion...thrilling...jaw dropping...mind boggling...panties wetting...oh I could really name some and more but it pales in comparison to what I just read. Those were an understatement because this book is  SO DAMN MUCH MORE AND I SOOOOO LOVE IT!!!

Oh wow!!! Until this very mome
Dana aka ♥Belladonna♥
3.5 Stars

This was my very first Kim Karr book. And, to be honest, I picked it for the cover; I didn’t even bother to read the blurb before hand. Sometimes, doing that can get you in trouble. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised. Romance, set within a murder mystery plot, is right up my alley.

This book gets up to speed fairly quickly. As we meet Charlotte and Jasper, we realize their joint history is tainted with tragedy and hurt feelings. Told in dual POV, you see how much their past has affected
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*
Kim Karr definitely ‘sets the pace’ with this exciting read.

Childhood friends, sabotage, suspense, murder and some sweet romance are the main ingredients to this story. Jasper & Charlotte grew up together and were best friends until a tragedy ripped their lives apart. Charlotte’s family left town and they never saw each other again.

Until now.

Jasper and his three best friends have successfully achieved Jasper’s long time dream with the creation of a car called Storm. They have plans for expan
Beneath The Covers Blog
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, alison, arcs
*I received an ARC for my honest review*

Jasper Storm - He Suffered tragedy at a young age and was forced to grow up with a not so Ideal life. Now all grown up and sexy as sin he is trying to build a car and rebuild the city of Detroit at the same time, but will seeing his best friend Charlotte for the first time in years change everything he has worked so hard for?

Charlotte - She's no stranger to that lonely feeling and all she wants to do is go back to Detroit and help clear her father's name.
Daisy
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
FORGET ME NOT

Wasn't expecting when I picked up this book from KU, how much i was going to enjoy it. It had been quite a while since I've read anything from this author. It's a childhood to lovers to story, suspenseful with murder mystery. Slow burn buildup chemistry between these childhood friends. I was not aware it was a duet series, so it left me screaming WTF at that ending "I need the conclusion of book 2" and hoping it does not take long for the release.
Kim
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jasper Storm has always been about adrenaline and speed. His life has been challenging, he has suffered loss and tragedy, and has lived life on both sides of the poverty line. But as an adult he has coped with fast cars and women and strong ambition. He is strong, stubborn, in control, and driven to succeed. His business success just keeps building with each new project and he is about to take on one that is most important to him and his city. He has his life right where he wants it. And then hi ...more
Hilary
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Set the Pace is SO much more than a friends turned lovers romance. Let me tell you, I was excited to read this book because I adore this author’s work. However, when I got into the meat of the story, HOLD THE PHONE, I was hooked. It is no secret that I am a suspense junky. I am a problem solver by nature and enjoy the thrill of mystery and suspense.

Jasper Storm has turned his life around after growing up with the tragedy of losing a parent in the worst disaster Detroit has seen in the last 20 y
C-Chat
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
That cliffhanger!!! I need book 2 NOW!
Alba M.
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
No estoy muy segura de la nota que darle. Como veis me ha llevado un montón de tiempo leerlo porque no he acabado de conectar con él. Me tenía intrigada saber quién era el que había provocado todo (¡hijo de puta ahora lo sé!) pero al libro en general le sobran un montooooooooon de páginas. Pero un montón en serio.
Todo el mundo parece un borde de mierda en este libro, sobre todo los amigos de Jasper. Que asco de verdad, con él, son todo sonrisas y risas pero con Charlotte he visto paredes más ag
Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
This sounds awesome. Can't wait to read this one!!!!
Coco.V
Mar 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/3/2018)!💝

Blurb:
Jasper Storm was the bad boy next door.

Reckless.

Dangerous.

Trouble—with a capital T.

Fate tore us apart—leaving a world between us, and both our hearts broken.

Now Jasper is Detroit's white knight, a reckless rogue turned sexy savior, pulling the city and himself out of destitution.

Everything he does is fast. He tal
Lindy
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts:

Set the Pace is the first book in a new duology by Kim Karr. As a huge fan of Ms. Karr's Connections Series, I am always excited to read something new of hers. Set the Pace, is a passionate, thrilling, and suspenseful read that deals with sex, lies, deceit, and murder.

Charlotte "Charlie" Lane dreams of being a successful journalist. She also wants to return to Detroit and prove her father's innocence, after he was blamed for the horrific factory explosion and many deaths of his autom
Daisy
Forget Me Not

Wasn't expecting when I picked this book up from KU. It's childhood friends to lovers story, suspenseful with murder mystery. Very slow burn buildup chemistry between these childhood friends. I wasn't aware it was a series, so it left me screaming WTF! Ending. I need the conclusion of book two and hoping it doesn't take long to release.
Sangria
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery and romance......

I felt in the mood, and boy did this hit the spot. I loved both characters. I loved their childhood connection & the mystery and suspense was spot on. The need for speed in this book is real.

Charlotte and Jasper had known each other since 8. They were childhood friends until something tragic happens to Japers Dad and others at a plant fire they all worked in. Charlottes Dad suffered from it and took off w/ his daughter.

Charlotte is back to find the truth, she b
Red Cheeks Reads
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Charlotte and Jasper knew each other when they were children and they were JJ and Charlie to each other…but now things aren’t as simple. Charlie comes back to town to try and clear her fathers name and Jasper isn’t sure he can forgive her for leaving him without warning. But when murder rocks the Detroit hometown they must both set aside their past hurts, if they want even a chance of seeing a future together. Because someone is out to paint both of them as murderers, someone is sabotaging not o ...more
Serena
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing

5 FORGET ME NOT STARS!!!

Whoa. I cannot believe this is the first novel I have read by Kim Karr. Why did I wait so long?! Set The Pace was BRILLIANT! I was entranced from beginning to end. I couldn’t stop. I loved it. So. Damn. Much.

Set The Pace made me feel like I was in a high speed race the entire time. There were twists. There were turns. It was beautiful. It was sexy. It was an emotionally gripping friends to lovers romance. I felt all of the feels! Masterfully written, I felt like I was li
Helena Bookhooked
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy Moly… this has to be my top book this year…..I loved this book from the petrol head that I am, to the lover of a great romance. If there was a book to pick up this year it would be this and it's so pretty too.

This book set me alight from the mystery that is starting from the beginning of the book to the electric romance brewing between Charlotte and Jasper.

This book is captivating, the turbulent relationship between the estranged childhood friends that even after almost 20 years apart they
Jan
My pace couldn't get to the end fast enough

Completely drawn in from start like someone dropping the flag for go and I eagerly raced to the end just to find out how it would all play out.

Captivated from the off, as you get to know the character and his life, Jasper with his manwhore ways the sadness of the town disaster and a day that changed his world losing his best friend and father and the introduction to his inventions success with his car along with his best friends and also successors.

Ch
Christy McCurry
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hold on to your seat Kim Karr is going to take you on one heck of a ride. Set the Pace blew me away. I did not want to put it down. I think I made it till about 4 am before I finally crashed with my tablet in hand and then I started reading right when I woke up just a few hours later before the coffee was even ready.

Set the Pace is a fascinating sexy read full of twist and turn, lies, and deceit that will have you on the edge of your seat. The depth in which this story was written was just amaz
Romance Readers Retreat
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I'm not even joking when I say I'd sell my left kidney for book 2 right now. I can just hear the 'WTF's', the 'Nooooooooo's' and the 'You can't end a book like that's'.

The idea, of childhood best friends get separated at a young age only to meet up again in adulthood, is nothing new, but what this book does give us is one hell of a mystery. To me, nearly every single character was under suspicion which meant one heck of a gripping story.

The storyline is not something I can explain
C.D.'s Canaries: Set The Pace BR 2/21/16 99 40 May 16, 2016 10:33AM
The Challenge Fac...: Delitealex & Trea - Set the Pace 15 17 Apr 18, 2016 03:43AM
  • All Blues (All, #3.5)
  • The Club Trilogy
  • Secondhand Smoke (Dartmoor, #4)
  • Savage (The Healer #3)
  • The New Rule (The Casual Rule #2)
  • Fierce Series - Boxed Set (Fierce, #0.5-2)
  • Blur (Changing Colors, #2)
  • The Perfect Stroke (Lucas Brothers #1)
  • Lawyers in Love, Books 1 & 2 Boxed Set
  • Roustabout (Traveling, #3)
  • The Fading Trilogy: Fading, Freeing, Falling:  (Fading, #1-3)
  • The Needing Moore Series Trilogy: Searching for Moore, Moore to Lose, & Moore than Forever
  • Camouflage (Predator and Prey, #1)
  • Hate: A Love Story
  • Skip to the Good Part 2: 20 Authors Reveal Their Steamiest Scenes
  • Without End: A Melrose Shops Novel
Reader * Chocolate Lover * Writer * Coffee Lover * Romantic * Beach Lover * Yoga Beginner

Kim Karr is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of eighteen novels. Best known for writing sexy contemporary love stories, she enjoys bringing flawed characters to life.

Her romances are raw, real, and explosive.
Her characters will make you laugh, make you cry, make you feel.
And her happily-ever
More about Kim Karr

The Detroit Love Duet (2 books)
  • Turn it Up (The Detroit Love Duet, #2)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Flight (Up in the Air, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Dance (Billionaire Bachelors, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)