Start by marking “Love Sick” as Want to Read:
Love Sick

Love Sick

At 28, Cory Martin thought she had it all, a budding career as a writer in Hollywood, an apartment of her own, and a healthy obsession with yoga. But when she found herself on the floor of her apartment wailing into the phone, 'but I don’t want to be sick,' her entire world came crashing down.

A doctor had just revealed that she had Multiple Sclerosis, a potentially debilit
Published February 9th 2016 by Write Out Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Love Sick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Sick

Start your review of Love Sick
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
This is most likely an important book for young people diagnosed with chronic illness. I wasn't given my first diagnosis until my happily-married late thirties, so it was hard to relate to Cory's experience. But the writing is snappy and fun, so if it's your jam to read about 20-something love go for it. I chose to bail because life's too short for books you don't connect with.
Kelli
Aug 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very sorry for everything the author has been through. I was able to learn much more about MS than I ever knew and am appreciative of that. I thought the first half was fairly interesting. But it almost felt like she focused more on the awful men she has dated than her illness. I also found most of the dating stories to be really appalling and somewhat irrelevant. And not appalling in an entertaining way, but really disturbing. I'm not a prude, but i don't like the use of really foul language wh ...more
Valerity (Val)
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley and Write Out Publishing. It tells Cory Martin's story of suddenly having to struggle with illness at the age of 28, and trying to find out if she has MS. She worries about becoming severely handicapped, and wonders who will want to spend a lifetime with someone very ill. Explores her ordeal, maintaining a good attitude, and her fight to stay strong and hopeful that she won't end up living her life alone.
Courtney
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

From time to time I find myself drawn to memoirs or autobiographies. Cory Martin’s publisher contacted me in regards to receiving an arc in exchange for an honest review. I saw that it was a memoir but to be honest, what made me jump on board to read it was that Cory written for the hit television show, “The O.C.” which just happens to be one my all-time favorite shows. So I jumped at the chance to read her memoir.

Anyway, as I started reading this book, I was just completely amazed about how hon
Shamiram
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"When people hear you've been diagnosed with a life-altering disease, they want you to have this big 'aha' moment. This moment where you decide to do something grand with your life now that it's been altered. Maybe you buy a ticket around the world, or vow to take an oath of silence for six months, or quit your job as a salesman and become a stuntman. But the truth is, this rarely happens. MS never gave me the desire to go out and change my life completely, it just gave me the desire to keep mov ...more
Rebekka Steg
Love Sick is both funny and thought-provoking. Even if you don't have a chronic illness, or know anyone who has one, I would highly recommend you read it. Because sooner or later either you, or someone you love will be dealing with chronic illness. It's one of the more difficult facts of life, but the better we get about talking openly about these things, the better prepared we all are - and the better equipped we will be to deal with it ourselves and support our loved ones.

"If it were later, I
Kimberly Vanderbloom
Great!

I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This is completely out of my typical genres but I needed something different. Different is exactly what I got. It was real and raw. It was a journey. What I enjoyed the most was the honesty that the author wrote with. I felt like she didn’t hide anything. I learned quite a bit more about MS and I also learned what it feels like to be diagnosed with a chronic illness at a young age and how to continue with your life. It made me smile and
Hannah
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
***I received an ARC from Write Out Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.***

Love Sick wasn't really what I expected going into it. Let me start with what it's about: Cory Martin was tentatively diagnosed with MS when she was twenty-eight-years-old. Her doctor started a variety of tests on her, and she began to feel her biological clock ticking. Martin panicked a bit, cried to her parents a lot, dated and slept with a few guys in an effort to find some normalcy in a life she
Paula Dennan
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
How would you react if you were diagnosed with a live changing illness? You can think about it all you want but, truthfully, there’s no way of knowing for sure until you find yourself in that situation.

Love Sick is about Cory Martin adjusting to life with MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and everything that entails. There is no cure for MS, so what now? Will continuing with her career as a budding writer in Hollywood be possible? How will she find a boyfriend when no-one will want to date the sick girl?
Angelica
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, adult
I am going to admit it now because isn't that the first step? To be honest and open? I have to admit I did not finish this book. There I said it...... Why was that so hard? Because I'm not a quitter and it takes a lot and I mean A LOT for me to not finish a book. Yet this has to be put in the not finished pile. The premise was intriguing, a 28 year old girl who thinks she has it all together finds out that she has MS. The story follows how Cory, a writer, deals with life after she finds out she ...more
Susi
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book from the very beginning to the very last page. I can honestly say that I felt like I was on the journey with Cory. This story was emotional and humorous at the same time. It made me think about life and how a medical diagnosis could change everything from your present day to day to the unforeseen future.

I highly recommend this book!

I received and ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

March is MS Awareness month. Read all about ways you can help those
Nadia King
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cory's funny and honest account of dealing with doctors and medical testing had me laughing out loud - a lot!

Love Sick is Cory's journey through part of her life that takes in a life changing medical diagnosis, an acceptance of all life has to offer and what it means to find love.

A wonderfully uplifting book. After reading this I just want to fly to the US, give Cory a massive hug and just tell her - you go girl!!
Alina
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
This autobiography is about Cory's struggles with MS (multiple sclerosis) and her fears of ending up alone. Living with such disease Cory's life becomes unpredictable but she fights hard to overcome her everyday struggles.
There isn't much to be said about this book , other than it is touching memoir and it does bring awareness. Also I admire her sense of humor. This is not an easy subject, yet there were moments when she managed to make me smile.
BookArtBookmarks  By Margaux
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️🌸I just want to start off saying that I do like memoirs, but I don’t often grab them off the shelf. I find there’s a lot of wonderful stories to be told, but sometimes the writing isn’t the best. This woman can write!!! 🌸She tells her story of dating and life after and before she was diagnosed with MS in her twenties. I laughed and I cried on several occasions. Now, this isn’t a dark read, but some of the stories of others she writes is so beautifully written and told I teared! It’s a ...more
Emerald May

The writing in this book was bright and crisp and fun to read. The author has a way of writing that makes it feel as if she is speaking rather than putting words down on paper, and I think that’s especially important when reading/writing a memoir.

Personal opinion: I didn’t think the choice of language was always necessary. I know our world/society is at a point where crude language is the norm, but I think the same messages can be expressed without it. I don’t mind it once in a while or
Brenda
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 2004, Cory Martin is jarred when she is diagnosed with MS at age 28. In this memoir, Cory shares the terror and confusion she experienced, the support she received and the choices she made in order to cope while learning to live with MS as a young, single woman in L.A.

By 2013, Cory's life has changed career directions and she is moving forward with hope for a future while living every day to the fullest.

There was a bit of back and forth in time periods during the story telling that were somet
Jill Atkins
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having MS, having the same feelings of uncertainty and fear with the disease I could relate.

There were times I wanted to shake Cory and tell her obviously she is too great to be worrying about everything she was putting on herself. Other times I wanted to high five her and tell her she rocks. It was a fun journey and I enjoyed seeing the progress from the first neurologist appointment to years later.

It was at times funny. At times sad. I loved reading about her family and I hated reading about
Jacinta Carter
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I planned to read the first few chapters of this memoir before bed, but ended up staying up late to read the entire thing. Cory Martin's story of learning to live with an MS diagnosis hanging over her head, and choosing to continue to carry on as though everything is fine is inspiring. She approaches the subject with honesty and humor, never shying away from the more embarrassing aspects of the disease. If you know anyone who is living with MS, or cares for someone with it, I highly recommend ch ...more
Dina
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: give-aways
***I received this book via Goodreads Giveaway Winner.***

This book is the chronological memoir of being diagnosed with MS and her fear of "living alone", Cory's fears of inadequate relationships and who would be there with her in the end. Initially, I struggled to grasp Cory's story or dialogue as she ventured in and out of relationships and doctors appointments. There were moments where I laughed out loud at Cory's response and experience to events. Cory give's a humble hilarious take on hope a
Eunice Brownlee
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I never expected that a book about MS would having me laughing out loud as much as it had me empathizing with the writer. She eloquently shares her tales of living with an invisible chronic illness as well as the unglamorous world of dating. Singularly, either of these could prove to be stressful and depressing, but despite managing both simultaneously, she manages to take it all in stride and with a sense of humor. Most of all, she shares her tale with a heavy dose of hope: both that she’ll liv ...more
Joanne
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received my copy of Cory Martin's book from Goodreads for my unbiased review. I am a different generation than the author and I do not have MS, but I found Cory's story informative and well written. She writes with sensitivity and a great sense of humor as well. I recommend this book, especially to those who may have been diagnosed with a disease (it need not be MS) and need to know that they, too, can survive!
Rebekka
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I should have read the description of this book a little better before starting. I thought this was a fiction based story, however its more of a diary. Most of the book as random thoughts put to paper. No real story line to follow. A few moments of funny that happen to everyone in their lives, but those moments didn't make up for the rest of the book.

This book was given to me through a giveaway for an honest review.
Hazel
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about Corey diognoised with MS in her 20's.
As a nurse and also someone with an autoimmune disease
I could relate to her struggles. It tell the heartbreak
of learning she had a disease and the unknown of her life and finding
Her significant other. You never know when this could happen
to you. No one ever plans on a disease or such a radical life change.
She tell about her day to day life with humor. A very worthwhile read. I received a ARC.
Jessica Hoopingarner
Surprised myself by enjoying this quick read. I really got a sense for how the girl felt and her fear. I could imagine how this changed your perspective and the course of your future.

Even if this isnt your typical subject to read I suggest giving it a shot.
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book spoke to my heart, mind, body and spirit as an MS fighter myself and one with her own relationship struggles and desire for both adventure and peace. This book shook my core, triggered tears and laughter. I loved it. Her voice is so perfectly real!
Hai Quang Le
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly entertaining in its brutal honesty

I found myself laughing aloud at the absurdity of the situations Cory found herself in. Honest, hellacious, humble, and hilarious, Cory give hope to those that still find themselves love sick in Los Angeles.
Janine
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through Goodreads Giveaways for an honest review.

I though Love Sick was a funny, thought-provoking, very real memoir about what the author went through upon learning she may have MS.
Kris
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a decent read. My exhusband has MS and so it was like a walk down memory lane. I'm one of those spouses who chose to leave. He did not chose to embrace live and that is a mistake as told in this book. I enjoyed reading it. It kept my attention.
Tena
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-goodread_wins
I won this in a GOODREADS giveaway -- Love Sick by Cory Martin-- a good memoir... I learned a lot about Multiple Sclerosis.
Terry
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A honest account of living with multiple sclerosis.

• Men We Reaped
  • The Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Join the Millions Who Have Become Nonsmokers Using the Easyway Method
  • The Perfect Game Box Set
  • Ecstasy
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
  • Broken Monsters
  • Love From A to Z
  • Champagne Supernovas: Kate Moss, Marc Jacobs, Alexander McQueen, and the '90s Renegades Who Remade Fashion
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are
  • The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
  • Sherwood
  • 107 Things I Wish I Had Known with My First Baby: Essential Tips for the First 3 Months
A graduate of the University of Southern California, Cory has a B.A. in English-Creative Writing, and spent time studying literature at Cambridge University in England. By the age of twenty-five, she had garnered writing credits on the hit television show, "The O.C." and had been asked by Scholastic to pen three young adult novels based on the same T.V. series. She is the author of "Love Sick" a m ...more