Start by marking “From Yellow Star to Pop Star: How one young girl survived the Holocaust and became a singing sensation” as Want to Read:

When Dorit Oliver was just four years old she sang and danced in front of the future king of Yugoslavia. By six years old she was in hiding from the German soldiers who were rounding up and transporting her fellow Jews to concentration camps around Europe.

Years of terror follow, with narrow escapes from capture and bombing raids plus betrayals by those she thought were h
Published May 28th 2015 by Red Door Publishing Ltd (first published May 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about From Yellow Star to Pop Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Yellow Star to Pop Star

Start your review of From Yellow Star to Pop Star: How one young girl survived the Holocaust and became a singing sensation
Rosie Amber
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From Yellow Star to Pop Star is a memoir of a remarkable women who survived the Holocaust, mal-nutrition, cruelty, greed, injustice and went on to have a singing career, bring up a family and be part of a team raising awareness of the holocaust.

Dorit Oliver-Wolff began her life as Theodora Handler born into a Jewish family in Novi Sad, in 1936. In 1941 she was living in Belgrade when the war rained its relentless bombs down on the city. They escaped to the hills and were aided by the partisans.
Linda
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I feel so lucky to have been one of the winners of this book in a recent Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

This was a very enjoyable read and what an amazing person Dorit Oliver-Wolff is. From living through the Holocaust and the journey she took to succeed, is incredible. This book well and truly deserves it five stars and I would recommend to all.
Emma
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From yellow star to pop star is an incredible life story of Dorit Oliver-wolff. Who as a young child lived through WW2 as a jew. She moved around with her mother to escape the germans with close encounters. I had the absolute pleasure of meeting her at my child school. She is so positive & speak her mind.
You will not be disappointed with the style in which she writes it.
John Fish
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once in a while a memoir lands on my desk, when From Yellow Star to Pop Star by Dorit Oliver-Wolff arrived I kept it on my desk as this is a woman I already knew from articles in newspapers. This is her story in her own words. A remarkable woman, a very brave woman.
Dorit Oliver-Wolff born Theodora Handler was born in Novi Sad in 1936. In 1941 While living in Belgrade she witnessed the bombing of the city and the horrific scenes no child should ever have to see. This was the start of the invasion
Thelastwordreview
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sally
This is an incredible life told in a charming and conversational way that reels you into the dramatic, exciting and often shocking biography of a charming woman.

Dorit was a young girl at the start of the Second World War and her biography starts with the bombing of Belgrade in 1941, as she and her mother run from the bombed out city, though the carnage of a city filled with people - injured and/or scared - running for their lives in an active bombing. After an experience that cries out to be in
Miriam Drori
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
If the title puts you off, as it did for me, then rise above the feeling. This is an amazing life that's definitely worth reading about.

A lot of ingenuity and a series of lucky incidents enabled little Dorit and her mother to remain one step ahead of the Nazis in war-torn Europe. The tale of their survival is wondrous enough.

Then, to recover from such experiences and become a famous singer is an incredible feat. And even that was fraught with excitement and danger.

You might think that would be e
RedDoor Publishing
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dorit's story is truly amazing and this is a memoir like no other. It follows her from the former Yugoslavia where she sung for the king, through the trials and tribulations of the War – hiding from German soldiers, bomb raids and narrow escapes from being captured – until she and her mother are rescued. The Holocaust is only a part of Dorit's story as she joins a touring dance troupe in order to travel. When she is spotted by a talent scout, her incredible life really begins. The reader travels ...more
Katie Hannah
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I only heard of this book when she came to my school and she is an amazing woman. At first, I delayed reading this book, but once I picked it up, it was difficult to put down. Loved it, recommed as it shows just how remarkable life can be.
Daniela
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, own
Very moving and inspiring
Alison
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: holocaust, memoir
Dorit is a real force of nature. She's lead an amazing life, but this book is really just a catalogue if events with little or no reflection or insight. Disappointing.
MRS P ARNOLD

• Hangover Square
  • Cold Spring Harbor
  • Burma Chronicles
  • A Book Of Silence
  • Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find—and Keep—Love
  • Engleby