Start by marking “Not Black and White: From The Very Windy City to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue” as Want to Read:
Not Black and White: From The Very Windy City to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

Not Black and White: From The Very Windy City to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

NOT BLACK AND WHITE is the fictional account of many of the events that led to the meteoric rise of a local charismatic street politician to become America's first African-American President, and the downfall and imprisonment of two consecutive governors of the State of Illinois.

NOT BLACK AND WHITE puts the reader inside the campaign offices and smoke-filled back rooms whe
Published November 3rd 2015 by G. Anton Publishing (first published October 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Not Black and White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Black and White

Start your review of Not Black and White: From The Very Windy City to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Kathy Davie
While it purports to be a thinly disguised memoir of Barack Obama's rise to the White House by one of the spectators, it is actually about high-flying, corrupt politicians, donors, movers-and-shakers, and fixers. It depressed the hell out of me.

I received this eARC from G. Anton Publishing for an honest review. And they got one.

My Take
Mars is taking a look back as he recalls what led to his eventual downfall. He comes across as both decent and a jerk who wants to live the highlife and get rich u
Nancy
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Political Thriller Based on Chicago Corruption

A tragic accident takes the lives of six children. They are burned to death when an out-of-control tractor-trailer slams into the family van. This horrific accident begins the story of corruption and politics in the world of Chicago and Illinois. The political corruption emerges when the driver of the tractor-trailer confesses that he bought his license from the DMV for a contribution to a political fund-raiser and a bribe.

This view of the disastr
Kait
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of Not Black and White from a friend. The review stated the story was the "Primary Colors" of the Obama administration so this caught my interest. This book did not disappoint. It was a well told story. I found myself googling the characters I wasn't able to identify. The story added some spice about Chicago, which was entertaining. Highly recommend this book!
Kristal Cooper
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
3.5/5.0 stars -- A fictionalized account of the Chicago political scene that propelled Barack Obama to the White House.

As usual with this kind of story, I wonder how much is true and how much is fabricated. As someone who follows state-level politics only when they make national news, it was hard for me to judge. I did recognize Obama, Blogojevich, and Emanuel right away, but the true identity of the rest are a mystery to me.

The story is told from two perspectives -- an omniscient narrator alte
Charlie Vasquez
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Not Black and White” is a hard-hitting, evocative look at ‘real-life’ politics and Chicago-style corruption at its finest. G.A. Beller has the ability to keep the reader totally engaged throughout the entire story, and that is no small feat considering the various of multi layered plotlines, diverse set of characters that come and go, and wildly fluctuating scenery and events and time periods... You want to keep reading it but at the same time you have to stop to think about it all and
Cale
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
No lack of explosive drama here! Try and be bored reading this… just try. I dare ya! But seriously, this was one roller coaster ride that I was not expecting. It’s a fast read, one I finished in just a few settings, and the brisk narrative is perfect tempo for a book of this genre. Mr. Beller uses great word economy and doesn’t bore us with too many unnecessary details. Fast, focused, and to the point, “Not Black and White” is a frighteningly realistic look at what happens in our countr
Debbie Bryant
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a life-long Chicago area resident, I was aware of everything that went on in the news regarding the scandals around the last two governors of Illinois. This book is a "fictionalized account" of those goings on. The names, of course, have been changed to protect the not so innocent. This is an interesting take on what went on throughout those two "empires." I wonder how much of the apparatus is still around. It's obvious that the state of Illinois is in severe financial straights due to the mi ...more
Kyle Robertson
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed this book. It was like the "Primary Colors" of the current administration. The author's writing is very good, and the story flows well. This book exposes the scandals, back room deals, and glad handing that occurs all too often in the world of politics. I found myself turning to google to try and remember the actual people that the major players are based on. I would recommend this book to fans of political thrillers. I received this as a free ARC from G. Anton Publishing/Chicag ...more
Holly
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book via Goodreads First Reads. This did not affect my rating in any way.

This book ehhh. I was a little bored at points, but maybe this is because I live in Indiana, right smack on the border of Illinois and so I've encountered Illinois politics on a daily basis. It was very accurate and depicted what things were and are really like in the political world and it really give the reader quite a bit to think about.
Sue
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free from Good Reads.

I seldom read fiction, I simply do not have enough time. I have never read a political novel, nope, not even Primary Colors.

However, I decided to give this one a try. Much to my delight, from the first few pages until the end, I was captured! I finished the book in three days.

Loved the back room negotiating and wheeling and dealing. (Shades of the Republican forthcoming convention?)
Lynn Mitchell
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a really great book. I could not put it down. Clearly, it should be made into a movie or a play. In general, it reminded me of another book that I couldn't put down -- Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow. If this book is made into a movie I wonder who would be best to play Mars. Let's all try to figure it out.
Andres Ramirez
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully gripping political story, it is hard to put down. The shenanigans going on in the thinly-veild Illinois of Obama's meteoric political rise are so mind blowing I found myself constantly googling to see if the "fictional" events in the novel had a corresponding event in real life. Amazingly it always did. Wonderfully entertaining and horrifying at the same time.
Emily Nelson
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling and captivating from start to finish! Beller mixes fiction and inspiration from real-life political events to create his novel.
Kelly Knapp
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all young adults, history lovers
Recommended to Kelly by: Won as part of the Goodreads Firstreads Giveaways
Entertaining look at the corruption in Illinios. Power and politics weave a compelling story that is partly based on true events. A swift read.
Catherine
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has not been officially published yet. It was well written and would be worth the read. A little predictable though. Reminded me somewhat of 'Primary Colors'.
Alex

Much suspicion.

• Maybe Tomorrow?
  • The Ecological Indian: Myth and History
  • Prodigal Summer
G. A. Beller is a self-professed political junkie who enjoyed a long and lucrative career in the investment industry before diving in to his true passion of storytelling. NOT BLACK AND WHITE: From The Very Windy City to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is his first novel.

In 2013, Beller established G. Anton Companies, LLC to invest in and encourage literary projects in creative collaboration with aspirin

News & Interviews

“Never underestimate the intelligence of your readers. Give them a story line with facts and fiction, and allow them to decide what's factual.” 0 likes