Start by marking “Between the Devil and the Pacific Blue” as Want to Read:
Between the Devil and the Pacific Blue

Between the Devil and the Pacific Blue

Published October 31st 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Between the Devil and the Pacific Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between the Devil and the Pacific Blue

*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Mysterious...

Heart-warming...

...and a bit sexy
Debra
Full review originally posted at Sinfully

Charlie Cochet did a fantastic job in setting the mood for this story. A bizarre but once grand New York City hotel that time forgot somewhere in the early 1900’s, its guests are mostly permanent residents and there is a strange aura about all of it. James is working a second job as night security which is pretty routine until one night when the mysterious Franklin Fairchild touches him. The handsome and refined Franklin Fairchild rarely leaves his room o
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Wow, that threw me for a loop. And was way fucking cool. I can't even tell you what was cool about it because that's a sizable spoiler, and spoiling it would be a dick move when all I want is for peeps to read it. So do so.
Ije the Devourer of Books
A lovely story of ghostly goings on in an old hotel and a love that transcends death. I do wish it had been longer.
Trisha Harrington
This book surprised me. I thought I knew what was going on, but there was still an extra twist that I hadn't expected while reading this. Loved that!
Melissa
This was a unique story for sure. I've read ghost stories and past lives and all that, but this one was different because Franklin is doomed to relive his death and to wait for his love to return to him before he can move forward.

The story is kind of confusing so you need to pay attention. I wasn't surprised by the ending since there was only one way a ghost romance can go.

This was an entertaining short story.
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
I.Want.More

I was enthralled with this story from beginning to end. I read it straight through and forgot it was a novella. I wanted so much more. This had a noir feeling to it, but was set in a modern setting. I personally think Charlie’s writing skills have elevated. That is what it seems to me. I mean this was 60 pages of goodness. Imagine a full length novel. It had an American Horror Story feel towards it less gruesome more romance but still the tone of the story was set. I figured out thing
Kara
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
OMG this story was so good I did not want it to end!
I can't go much into this because it is a short book and I do not want to give any of this away.
James is a night security card at the Pacific Blue Hotel which is a very old hotel. He is also a Detective and he was hurt in the war. Well at the hotel is where is meets Frankie and just WOW! This story seriously had me guessing the whole way through it.
Then there was the ending which honestly I still have tears in my eyes over it was just so sad
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This left me with a lot of questions.

It was a an enjoyable and different story and very much kept my attention.

A very old Hollywood, mobster type romantic (view spoiler)story.

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday night. Even better, it was done with friends.

Thanks for the Buddy Read Skulls.
V
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because I've read so many books over more than 40 years, for me this story is not unique. However, it was still very nice and I love the ending.
OJ
Between The Devil and the Pacific Blue, by Charlie Cochet
Review by OJ

Rating: 4.0 stars

BLURB

For the last six months, Detective James Ralston has worked the nightshift as security for the Pacific Blue Hotel, and every night at 2 a.m. his rounds lead him to the radio room where the handsome and mysterious Franklin Fairchild sits listening to waltzes as old as the hotel itself. James is drawn to Franklin, but Franklin is a man at the end of his rope, and James has no intention of getting caught up i
JR
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Detective James Ralston is working the late night shift at the Pacific Blue hotel. The glory days are gone for the hotel and most of its inhabitants. Ralston is drawn to the mysterious Franklin Fairchild, who sits every night in the radio room listening to old tunes. There is a definite chemistry between the two men, but what is Fairchild's story, and why is there a sadness that surrounds him.

This is a short story, but the story and characters are well developed. I enjoyed it very much.
♣️ Lynda ♣️
What a great surprise this book turned out to be. It took me a little while to get into it but then it ended up so perfect!
Dina
I saw the plot twist coming a mile away, but the writing was so good that I didn't care. I found a new author to add to my to-track list. :)
Christy
I don't believe it was intentional on the part of the author, but the first few pages of this novella made me think of the movie 'The Grand Budapest Hotel', and since I loved that movie, I was thoroughly charmed right from the start. I do, however, have to admit, very shamefacedly, that this is the first work of Charlie Cochet's that I've read. Never fear, it won't be my last.

“Every night you sit in this room until I arrive, and every night you say just enough to get me riled up before you leave
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a dark, unsettling short story. Hats off to Charlie Cochet for the eerie atmosphere and spooky setting. I’m a fan of Cochet’s THIRDS series, so the naked emotion and lack of humour took me by surprise. This is definitely a different style of writing.

It took me a while to find my bearings with this story. It is very short, so by the time I was starting to understand what was happening and who each of the characters were, it was over.

In some ways this feels more like an assignment for a c
Jen
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*
UltraMeital
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one! But it's surely going to be one of the worst reviews I've ever written because I don't want to spoiler ANYTHING. So let's just make it simple - Do you like strange ghost stories? If the answer is yes - no debate, just grab this short novella and ENJOY!

I'll say that though I had a few guesses to what's going on, there were FAR more things I was surprised by which was part of why this short novella was so awesome. The whole feel of the place - this very old creepy hotel
DeeNeez
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, 2017, sh-team-recs
Wow! What a mind blowing twist at the end!
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.9 Stars

Interesting premise even though I figured out what was going on pretty quickly.
Jess
This was a predictable, quick story, but I enjoyed the POV narration and the (admittedly tragic) love story.

In what feels like a cross between 1408 and American Horror Story: Hotel, James Ralston is the night watchmen for a rundown NYC hotel that is just begging to be haunted. He becomes captivated by the beautiful, forlorn Franklin Fairchild, but when they finally get close to one another, James discovers the hotel's--and Franklin's--dark past.

Even though it was a completely predictable story,
Joyfully Jay
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jason
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

For a novella, I found that Cochet did a good job creating James’ character, giving him a plausible back-story and quite a bit of depth. Franklin, in contrast, was not a well developed character, but with reason. We are given just enough information about him to feel satisfied, but not enough to unravel the mystery surrounding his stay at the hotel.

It felt like the hotel was the critical secondary character, along with night manager, Leslie, who was related to the o
Morgan  Skye
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James is ex military, ex cop, ex detective and a current security guard for an old hotel. He meets Franklin in the hotel on his sweep of the hotel each night at 2 am. Eventually he and Franklin move past just exchanging pleasantries to becoming more “involved” with each other.

Once he begins to dig deeper into Franklin’s life, he realizes that Franklin may be in danger – and that maybe there’s more going on around him than he really knows.

This is a short story and unique, not quite like the oth
Cristina T.
BR with Trisha – Saturday, January 30 :D

I was not expecting this story to be what it is. It surprised me in a good way, and I loved it! What doesn't come as a surprise to me is that Charlie Cochet is a fantastic writer! I loved the atmosphere of this book, the characters were interesting, and the plot kept me on the edge of my seat. The reason this isn't getting 5 stars is because I have unanswered questions, and this was way too short to satisfy some of my curiosities. Nevertheless, Between the
Meraki P. Lyhne
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, paranormal
Detective James Ralston has worked the night shift at a rundown hotel, the Pacific Blue, with a lot of history. Six months into the job, one story in particular becomes important as he let himself be pulled into a night of passion by a guest. After that, everything turns strange.

This little paranormal story has a well balanced touch of the eerie and romance. As always, Charlie Cochet delivers both humor, well paced storytelling, and a romance that’ll warm even a dead heart.
Diane Dannenfeldt
I will write my review tomorrow when I am on my laptop as I can't spoiler sections. Thank you my amazing SS Lisa for this gift! (view spoiler). My only complaint is that the story was not a little bit longer.
~RMG
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected, but I liked the interesting twist at the end.
Lala
Very romantic, sad, and utterly creepy at times.

A perfect Halloween read. :)
Jax
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Not a new idea but an enjoyable quick read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Scarlet Tide (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #3)
  • Corkscrewed
  • Dangerous Spirits (Spirits #2)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • Firestorm (Fighting Fire #1; Pulp Friction 2014 #1)
  • Southernmost Murder
  • A Counselor Among Wolves (Leader Murders, #2)
  • The Shadow Mark
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • Spin Out (Deputy Joe, #2)
  • A Ghost of a Chance
  • A Rookie Move
  • Duck Duck Ghost (Hellsinger, #2)
  • The Last Wolf (Sapphire Ranch Wolves, #1)
  • Willow Man
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • Brothers in Arms (The Broken Road Cafe #2)
  • Make Me Whole
Charlie Cochet is the international bestselling author of the THIRDS series. Born in Cuba and raised in the US, Charlie enjoys the best of both worlds, from her daily Cuban latte to her passion for classic rock.

Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found devouring a book, re