Start by marking “The Gunner Girl” as Want to Read:
The Gunner Girl

The Gunner Girl

Three women, one shared ambition: to join the ATS and do their bit for King and country.

Bea has grown up part of a large, boisterous East End family. But her sweetheart is missing in action, and her mother is controlling her life. She needs to escape.

Edie inhabits a world of wealth and privilege, but knows only too well that money can't buy happiness. She wants to be lik
Published October 8th 2015 by Simon & Schuster Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Gunner Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gunner Girl

Start your review of The Gunner Girl
Joanne
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely enjoyable read, though towards the end it did drag out somewhat.
Ali Bookworm
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely read. Loved all the characters, well written and flowed easily. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Catherine
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This book frustrated the hell out of me because I really enjoyed large parts of it. I love any literature from WW2 but I had many quibbles with the story and the writing. Too many unnecessary deaths and painful situations crammed into one book, often without any sort of in depth analysis or explanation of motives/effects.

****SPOILERS****

The rape was obvious was the minute they met the GIs. Again, not sure why this had to happen to Edie? To prove that even rich girls can be raped?! And then an e
Elizabeth Ducie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clare Harvey's debut novel brings together three very different women: Edie, rich and privileged; Bea, poor and missing her child; and Joan, who has lost her memory and is plagued by unsettling visions. The three meet when then join the ATS during WWII. Their stories are engrossing, sometimes amusing, sometimes heartbreaking. And the level of detail of the research shines through. I found it an engrossing read and could not put it down. There were are couple of plot twists which were unrealistic ...more
Cathie Hartigan
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing

The Gunner Girl is a fantastic read. Three young girls, all with troubles and secrets join the ATS, and although I'd love to tell you what happened, I absolutely can't because it is such a treat to find out for yourself. I have to say the opening chapter had me gripped right from the off, and my interest never flagged. Although wildly different, the girls form a strong bond, and it's this that carries them through the troubles that life in WWII London presents. The plot is pacy and the period de
Anne Harvey
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title is a little misleading because it’s about three young women who become unlikely friends after joining the ATS during WWII. There is Bea, who is the eldest of a large family and is still awaiting a letter from her soldier sweetheart, Edie, the little rich girl hemmed in by over-protective parents and Joan, who has taken over the identity of her dead sister. The story follows them through their training then into action at the Hyde Park Battery, and into the various ups and downs of thei ...more
Jackie
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book free from GoodReads.

It's a lovely book to get lost in with strong, believable characters - three girls, very different with life stories and secrets. They are drawn together by the war and join the ATS.
Jazmin
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. It's rare to find a book where you love all characters equally! I was gripped from start to finish. Really excited to hear that Clare Harvey is writing her next book too.
Val
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free through Good Reads Giveaways.
This is about 3 young women, from 3 very different backgrounds, who become friends through joining the ATS during the second world war.
I really enjoyed reading it. The detailed descriptions & the accuracy of what went on at the time were excellent.
It made me think that Queen Elizabeth did what they all did & her background was also different from the people she joined up with. If this had been a true story, they could have been celebrat
Kazimiera pendrey
This book is about 3 girls who join the ATS during the Second World War, Bea Edie and Joan. They come from very different backgrounds and have varying reasons for joining the ATS. They meet at the initial training camp and become friends. Then they are posted together to man an anti aircraft battery in Hyde Park. The story continues with their lives and how their friendship endures with the problems that they all have and how they help each other. I found the book an enjoyable read however the e ...more
Ellie
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is quite chick-lit compared to my usual gorefests, but as womens roles during wartime is a particular interest of mine, I gave it a go. So glad I did, it was an interesting read, as far as I know giving an accurate telling of London during WW2.
A good story, with nicely fleshed out characters, my only gripe is it ended suddenly..... very suddenly. I turned the page and..... nothing..... Happily I've since learned there will be a follow up.
ღ❀ ℭaroline ❀ღ
I'm afraid I abandoned this less than 100 pages in. I read The English Agent before this, and on reflection, I'm glad I read them in that order. The Gunner Girl was awful compared to the follow-up. The pages didn't flow for me, and I really struggled to get into the story. It all seem muddled. I cheated and read the last chapter so I understood how the character ended up getting recruited for the SOE. In all, I wouldn't recommend The Gunner Girl to anyone.
Kirsteen
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cracking read. Great to meet those funny sad brave women. Brilliant build up of characters you will want to be friends with. Can't wait til the next one.
H
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A clever intertwining of the lives of three girls set during WWII. The characters draw you in and make you want to know more from page one. An excellent read!
Linda
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read from start to finish

A very real and gritty story line could not stop reading till l finished 1.30 in morning the real hardships of war
Mary kerrigan-gee
Slow starter, but lovely read

This was an enjoyable book, the characters were very good and the story although slow at first had some twists and turns. Would recommend.
Joan
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wartime story. Three young girls from very different backgrounds and for different reasons sign up for the ATS. We are introduced to each of them and their stories at the beginning of the book. They meet up on their first day at the training base and become firm friends. Each girl is hiding something from her past but as their friendship develops and under the blitz conditions they gradually learn to trust one another with the truth. Excellent story and I will look forward to reading more by t ...more
Marty Moore
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Valerie Benton
Diane
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The descriptions of the effect and devastation of war on London were well done, and learning about the lives of the young women during this time was interesting. In some respects the story was predicatable, but I enjoyed it
Vanessa  Thomas
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read.

I enjoyed this book immensely. Really enjoyed getting to know the main characters, Joan, Edie and Bea. Found their stories and their friendship extremely intriguing and emotional. Would highly recommend reading.
Clutterbuck12
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Easy read about 3 ATS girls, all signed up for different reasons and have very different back stories, but become friends. Covers their antics, their training and their lives as they cope during the War.
Lynn Hutchinson
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy read, interesting story. Would read more by this author.
Sue
felt to me as author had written a complete novel then got told we may want to write more books about these characters so can you add links to future books.
Yvonne
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was enjoyable in parts. But also ver frustrating. As we kept loosing the threads of the story
Katie
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. Can’t wait to read more from Clare.
Tiffany Johnstone
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It truly is a wonderful story. About three Women coming together in a trying time of war. Edie is my favourite character As she endures something shocking. It’s an amazing story.
Darrell Rivers
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Was looking forward to this as usually like books set during WWII but was left hugely disappointed. Didn't seem to create the 'atmosphere' somehow.
Vee
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I just loved this book. I couldn't put it down! It's fueled my previous interest of women in WW2. I was a little disappointed at the ending though as I felt it didn't quite tie everything up.
Vanessa-Ann Dowsett
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant

• The Girls of Pearl Harbor
  • The Ops Room Girls (The Women's Auxiliary Air Force #1)
  • Christmas with the Ops Room Girls (The Women's Auxiliary Air Force #2)
  • Lily's War: An uplifting WWII saga of women on the home front
  • A Ration Book Childhood
  • Homecoming (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #18)
  • Snow Angels (Lovely Lane #5)
  • The Dover Cafe at War (The Dover Cafe #1)
  • Bluebirds
  • Secrets of the Homefront Girls
  • A Ration Book Christmas (East End Ration #2)
  • Our Yanks
  • Pocketful of Dreams (East End Ration #1)
  • The Spitfire Girls Fly for Victory
  • Christmas on the Home Front (Land Girls #3)
  • Nightingale Wedding Bells (Nightingales #11)
  • The Railway Girls (Railway Girls #1)
  • With Hope and Love (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #17)
I was born in Devon but grew up in Mauritius and Surrey. As the trailing spouse of a serving soldier I spent a large part of married life shuttling between postings. I've worked variously as a freelance journalist, radio reporter, English teacher and PR consultant in Northern Ireland, Germany, Nepal and England. I'm now settled with my family in Nottingham.
I wrote my debut, The Gunner Girl, whilst