Start by marking “Behind the Eight Ball (Fur, Fangs, and Felines, # 2)” as Want to Read:
Behind the Eight Ball (Fur, Fangs, and Felines, # 2)

Behind the Eight Ball

(Fur, Fangs, and Felines #2)

Fur, Fangs, and Felines: Book Two

A cool morning, a yard full of birds, and a kitty on a mission. What more could a werecat want? Beta Heller Wirth has it all, except a mate—a shifter mate, that is. The last thing he wants is one of those dangerous humans who kill without remorse. Heller knows about that firsthand. So what does the goddess Bast do? She gives Heller exactly
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 214 pages
Published October 30th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Eight Ball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Eight Ball

Ann
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cat shifters are adorable. I know, I know, Heller is a bad ass too and the shifters kick ass, you know, because, shifters. But come on, cat shifters. They even play like kit kats with their mates when they are in shifted form and the author has that down pat. It makes me squee.

This is a good series with a unique take on shifters and their dynamics. The clowder is a little behind the times and the humans who are mating with some of the betas are working on changing the minds of these stubborn kit
BWT (Belen)
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, mm-fiction
2.5 Stars

I'm sad.

This was missing a lot of the heart of the first in the series, Trouble Comes in Threes.

This installment follows beta cat shifter, Heller, who hates humans, finding his very human mate.

We know from the first book about Heller's hatred, and here we find the reasoning behind it. I kept waiting for Heller's confession to Dolf, Tal and Kirk, and was disappointed it never came.

I was also disappointed that much of Lawson and Heller's relationship was told to me or off page entirely. T
Debra
Review originally posted at Sinfully... Addicted to All Male Romance

I’m really enjoying this shifter series and this story broadens its paranormal universe a bit more outside of the cat shifters by adding wolves and the snake-like Vetalas. You can absolutely read this story as a standalone although Heller and many of the secondary characters were introduced in the first story.

Heller is a beta in his clowder and has a long history of disliking humans. This was painfully obvious if you read the
Sandra
2.5 stars Right off the bat I can tell you I am not loving that ending for a couple reason.

1) It's a bit of a cop out (view spoiler)

2) No "I love you" (view spoiler)

This was a descent read but the writing style
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: Blog Toru, eARC Review, Excerpt, Author Interview & #Giveaway: Behind the Eight Ball (Fur, Fangs, and Felines Book 2) by M.A. Church

Review by: multitaskingmomma
My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

First off, this is a book dedicated to cat lovers. I. Am. Not. I am a confirmed doggy person but okay, I do appreciate the cuteness of kittens and the fierceness of the big cats. House cats, nah, not so much.

But...

If you checked to read the excerpt above, it is quite silly of me not to love
Sandra
Heller doesn't like humans. Let me repeat that - Heller does not like humans.

We know this from book one in this series, when Heller is an absolute ass to Tal and Dolf's human mate Kirk, and only grudgingly accepts the mating.

In this book, 2nd in the series, Heller gets what's coming to him when he scents Lawson, human Lawson, as his destined mate. Of course, nobody, not even a cat shifter, can change such a deep-seated aversion so quickly, not even when presented with the best smell he's ever s
Amneris Cesare
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice reading. Nice Characters. Maybe too long descriptions of the day to day life: wake up, eat breakfast, go to work, go to the grocery store, go home, and again the new day starts. You think: now it's when it happens something bad and yet nothing happens. Too many situations like this. But for an easygoing reading, it's nice.
namericanwordcat
I love domestic cat shifters. Who would have guessed?

However, the romance here takes too many stops and starts for me with Heller's issues and then the side plot. I never really get the flush of a love story though the world building is nice and I like the characters.
Duck
1.5 Stars

Gahhhh....

The only reason I finished this is because I had the audiobook version. The writing is tedious and unnecessarily detailed. Despite that, the words don't give information and details that that actually add to the story. The relationship progression is told instead of shown and the romance aspect of the story suffered because of it.

Heller's anti-human biases were so over the top that it distracted from his character development. Neither he nor Lawson were particularly likeable
Ivy
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it

description

Heller is a beta werecat for his clowder. After claiming how much he hated humans when Dolf mated a human, he’s at a lost when he realizes his mate is a human and runs away from him.
Lawson is human but aware of the paranormal since his 2 best friends are Vetalas. When he understands that Heller is his mate and rejected him, he’s hurt.
But when Lawson’s life is threatened, Heller doesn’t hesitate. He needs to protect his m
Valentina  Campi
3 stars and half
Red Queen
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in this series so of course I had to read the second one. And, once again, I was not disappointed. Let me point out that, while you will understand this book if you haven’t read the first one, I think you should still read it. Not only is it very good, but it gives a wider view of this universe and its characters.

First of all, let me compliment the cover. Whoever designs these covers is doing a terrific job. Just like the first one, this one perfectly represents t
Christy
“It slammed into me, but this time it was stronger. Much stronger. Fresher. It saturated every cell in my body, took me by the throat, and sank its fangs into me. The scent whispered dark, needy things in my ear. My cock sprang up, my balls high and tight to my body. Mate, mate, mate.”

The scent that Heller has been waiting forever for. Too bad it's coming from a human. Heller really doesn't like humans, and his dislike is so pervasive, it caused real problems between him and his friend Dolf when
Brooklyn
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-mm
ARC was provided by the author for review.

Once again, M.A. Church delivers a fun, playful, sexy story about a feline shifter and his human mate. Heller does not like humans. Personal history left him with a strong hatred for the species. So when he scents his mate, and realizes it’s a human, he is horrified. He initially rejects his mate and refuses to acknowledge him, but his view changes when Lawson, is threatened.

“Can I treat you like a cat?” My favorite scene is when Heller shifts for the fi
Cathy Brockman
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great month to grab a new paranormal story. Not all of us like the dark, scary stuff. Here is one that is not dark, has all sorts of unique shifters a little drama, and some hot steamy romance.
The stars of the show--oops-- I mean book, are Lawson and Heller. Heller is a werecat and Lawson owns a car detailing company with his two best friends Marshell and Janelle. Heller comes in to pick up his vehicle and smells is mate. He has longed to have what his heir apparent and his two mates
Cookie Moretti
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Behind the Eight Ball by M.A. Church (MM/Romance/Shifter)

A copy of this book was provided to me by Inked Rainbow Reads in exchange for an honest review.

*** 3 STARS***

Aaaand Church's frisky feline shifters are back for round 2, but this time the story focuses on Heller, the guy who didn't want Book 1's threesome to exist because one of the trio was human. Heller has issues with humans which is later revealed and it's disturbing. I didn't realize that it was THAT graphic, and I feel really, really
Rachel Emily
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, I just read a story that had dog shifters, so I figured I would start one that was different - cat shifters! I enjoyed the first book of the series, and I'm happy to say that I also enjoyed this one! I liked Heller once we knew what was motivating his hatred of humans, and we really got to know him. However, it was a bit of a complete 180 degree change after he reveals his past...like, I wish there had been a bit more of a transition rather than just a complete change. I don't know, it jus ...more
Amber
Cute, cute, cute. There are always wolf and big cat shifters but this one with house cats as the shifters is adorable. I loved the opening chapter where we get to see Hellar stalking a beetle and looking to pounce on a bird. Other than my cuteness overload this is a pretty standard shifter story. Shifter meets mate falling in love even though he doesn't want to, and some jerk doesn't like it. There is more to it but it follow the normal shifter book patterns making it an easy enjoyable read.
Jane (PS)
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it

MC Heller has BIG issues with humans. He loathes them. So of course, his mate is human... MC Lawson is well versed in paranormal happenings; his best friends have fangs after all. An interesting little story as these two battle out their issues!

Narrated by Derrick McClain - 4 stars.
Maggie
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good story!

Great addition to the series! Heller finds his mate Lawson and he's human! Heller has his issues with humans and he rejects Lawson twice. After wading through all the misunderstandings and a threat to Lawson, Heller realizes it doesn't matter if Lawson is human, he's his mate and that's all that matters!

I love the storyline and the characters in this series!
Ashley
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This takes place about six months or so after the first book, and is told from the point of view of Heller, one of Dolf’s beta, who absolutely hates humans, until he is given one as a mate, then he must reconcile his hate for humans with his mate.

I really didn’t like Heller in the first book, so wasn’t sure how I was going to take to him in this book, but you get a lot of his backstory which helps you to understand his intense hatred for humans. Lawson was freaking cute, he didn’t freak out lik
Maddy
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
True rating - 2.5
It was a bit too messy and drawn out for me. Plus the relationship dynamics were chaotic and unclear, making me wonder if they are the same people sometimes. It was fine in general, but the ending also lacked closure and several things were just left hanging in the balance so to say. Teasers of next books are fine, but this ending felt more along the lines of a cliffhanger and meh. Don't enjoy those.
Crownoyami
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I enjoyed this book. Overall it had a good plot and amazing character development. The only thing I found hard about it was that I couldn't jump into Heller's story after reading Trouble Comes in Three. I would recommend reading a different book between the two, once I read something else and came back I devoured Behind the Eight Ball in a few hours unable to get enough. I'm looking forward to reading It Takes Two to Tango to see what happens next!
Mekiho
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
~3.5~

All happened so fast. In a second Heller was all "Damn humans! I will never mate one of those vermins" and in the next second "Love of my life!". Kind of dull and very cheesy.

One thing that bothered me very much was how Lawson acted in bed. (view spoiler)
Kaitlin
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, m-m-romance
I really love this author but this has to be my least favorite book of hers. There were some obvious mistakes, like characters going over information they already went over like they had no idea what they were talking about.
The ending was anti-climatic.
And... SPOILERS... how can a person go 30 years without realizing the sister of a close friend is missing?!
Gwynn
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
3,5 stars. getting more into the series With each the book.
MyzanM
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not for me, apparently. I was annoyed throughout the book.
Penumbra
In Behind the Eight Ball Beta Heller Wirth finds his mate, only it’s someone he never expected nor wanted. Lawson Dupre is a human but not only that, he knows about paranormals as he lives with two of them. The story is told in first person through both Heller’s and Lawson’s eyes. This is the second book in the ‘Fur, Fangs, and Felines,’ series.
3.5 Stars

(view spoiler)
Relly
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: b-2017-read
My least fav of the series. I just didn’t really connect with the characters and struggled with this one.

• Launch the Hunt (Grizzly Rim #1)
  • Belligerent Beta (Pack Partners #2)
  • Dipping His Pen in the Office Ink
  • Impact Ripples
  • Lab Rat's Love
  • City Slicker at the Horny Goat Ranch
  • Blue Skye (Woodland Village, #1)
  • The Omega's Pack (The Protection of the Pack #2)
  • Dare to Love Forever (New Vampire Justice #1)
  • Moondrop
  • My Name is Luka (More Than Friends, #7)
  • Striker (The Valespian Pact #2)
  • Einstein's Peep Show
  • Needing You
  • Misinformation
  • Hazel Takes Over (Lyon Road Vets, #3)
  • Crossed Hearts (Hearts and Scars, #1)
  • Love You So Special (Love You So Stories, #3)
M.A. Church is a true Southern belle who spent many years in the elementary education sector. Now she spends her days lost in fantasy worlds, arguing with hardheaded aliens on far-off planets, herding her numerous shifters, or trying to tempt her country boys away from their fishing poles. It’s a full time job, but hey, someone’s gotta do it!

When not writing, she’s on the back porch tending to th

Fur, Fangs, and Felines (4 books)
  • Trouble Comes in Threes (Fur, Fangs, and Felines, #1)
  • It Takes Two to Tango (Fur, Fangs, and Felines, #3)
  • At Sixes and Sevens (Fur, Fangs, and Felines, #4)
“Non ho mai capito perché hai chiamato un gatto nero Tigre,” ribatté Dolf.
“Perché eri così fiero. Hai attaccato quella busta di plastica con genuina ferocia.” Kirk ebbe un leggero brivido. “Uno spettacolo terrificante.”
Tal fece un sorrisetto.
Kirk fece l’occhiolino a Dolf. “Non sapevo ancora che il gatto eri tu, ma sapevo per certo che il gatto era un prepotente.”
2 likes
“Buongiorno,” mi accolse Marshell con un sorrisetto. Era appoggiato al bancone della cucina con indosso solo i pantaloni del pigiama.
“Dammelo,” biascicai prendendo una tazza alle sue spalle.
“È la stessa cosa che mi ha detto lui stanotte.”
“Ti prego…” Mi versai il caffè e soffiai. Marshell, il bastardo, era fresco come una rosa, nonostante non avesse dormito per niente.
“Penso che mi abbia detto anche questo, verso le tre”
2 likes