Start by marking “The World of Poldark” as Want to Read:
The World of Poldark

The World of Poldark

Emma Marriott's The World of Poldark explores the characters, the compelling stories and the era that Winston Graham - and the television series - set out to recreate, the England that Ross Poldark returned to from the American War of Independence. England, and especially Cornwall, was then marked by social unrest and a deep division between rich and poor. It was a place o

Published November 5th 2015 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The World of Poldark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Poldark

Diane S ☔
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have spent the last week working through this one in preparation for tonight start of the new season. Loved everything about it, from the pictures which were glorious, to the history of the area. Views of the main characters, the plight of the copper worker, makeup, costumes, insights from the author of the books that make up this mini series, where he got their names from. Incredibly interesting for those who love this show. Feel like I will be watching tonight with new eyes.
Lauren Stoolfire
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media-tie-in
If you're a fan of this tv series, this behind the scenes book is a fascinating must read.
Allie
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The photos in this book are stunning, both of Cornwall and the cast of the new series. A nice mix of the TV show and a bit of history thrown in. Loved it.
Linda
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is a beautiful must-have book for fans of the remake of Poldark. I watched the first series in the 1970s and dreamed of seeing Cornwall for myself one day, so it was thrilling to be in England when the first season of the remake was being made. By sheer luck we happened to be in Corsham (Truro) on a day of filming. Later we drove all over Cornwall to see the many beaches and unique port of Charlestown. Many of the abandoned mines still dot the landscape. This book is full of wonderful photo ...more
Colona Public Library
If you like the TV show Poldark, you will definitely want to check out this book. It had tons of behind the scenes information about the cast and crew. The pictures and photography were excellent. There was information about what was happening politically during that time period. A lot of information about costumes and how the cast got into character. This book also included what was happening during this era. There were tons of tidbits about how coal mining was during that time period, and how ...more
Olivia
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Poldark fans! Historical fiction lovers.
If you love the Poldark Saga as much as I do, this is a must read! It really gives a great overview of the historical and cultural times of Cornwall in the 18th century. This series is close to my heart and I adore all the characters that Winston Graham created. Currently watching the fourth season!

This book only covers the first season of the show.
Iza
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful pictures and lots of tips, cast interviews about one of my favourite series.
Very enjoyable read.
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent companion for fans of Poldark. The book covers details of the show such as actors, plot details, filming locations, costume design as well as hair and makeup design. The book also provides history about the time period that the show is set. It provides details about mining and what life was like for the wealthy and poor people who lived in Cornwall. There are many beautiful photographs of the cast and of scenic Cornwall.
Susan Snodgrass
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the new Masterpiece Theatre's 'Poldark' and this book is the perfect companion to the series. Full of historical detail of the period, amazing photographs, character profiles, it's a great addition to any home library for Poldark fans.
Samantha
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An in-depth look at the back story of both the Poldark books and a crash course in Season 1. The information was great and I loved the photos!
Josie
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked this up intending to just flick through it, and ended up reading the whole thing cover to cover. Sure, it's a little dated now, given that it only covers the first series of Poldark, but it was fascinating reading the interviews with the production designers and seeing all the research and detail that goes into sets and costumes that the viewer probably won't even notice. I particularly enjoyed a quote from Beatie Edney, who plays Prudie, explaining how she convinced the costume designe ...more
Emily
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of the show I had to read this book just to get more insight. Definitely worth it. We get a bit more back story of what Cornwall was like in the time period from actual pictures painted and journals entries from then. We learn a bit more about the actors and actresses and how they fit their roles so well. It's a fun, quick read with loads of amazing photography. I would recommend it. 5 out of 5 stars.
Maria Burnham
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recently watched the first season of this series, and I was pleased with this book that gave an account of the history of the story and the creative process for creating the show. The book includes plenty of pictures of the actors, set, and historical art that served as the inspiration for the show. I also enjoyed some of the backstories of how the actors came to the show, how the music reflects the time and mood, and of course, my favorite, the work behind the costuming.
John-Kathryn
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Informative

At first I was hesitant to purchase this book. Having read 11 of the 12 Poldark books I was not ready to start the final book. Being addicted to Poldark led me to read The World of Poldark. I found this book extremely fascinating and resourceful.
Kate
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
essential reading for any poldark obsessive. I wasn't expecting to love this... it really gives you a glimps into 18th century cornwall life.
Sara
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun to see behind the scenes of this authentic show. The costumes and landscapes in particular are gorgeous.
Vivien Brown
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Packed with photos, interviews, historical information and details of costumes and sets, it is the perfect companion to the wonderful TV series. I loved it!
Mandy Meredith
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Lovely coffee table book; beautiful photos.
Mary
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Sure, it's light and fluffy, but Masterpiece fans will enjoy going behind the scenes of this popular historical romance
Alyse
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautiful photographs and a great addition for any fan of the BBC series.
Tracy Montefour
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Poldark fans, it's a must read
Deborah
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great coffee table book, put it out and got great reviews when friends look through the book. Some are going to start watching the show, because of your book. Would recommend the book to others.
Bethany
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I saw a co-worker perusing The World of Poldark, and I told her to send it my way when she finished. It is a great behind-the-scenes look at the casting, wardrobe, location, historical context, and history of Winston Graeme's original text behind the newest adaptation of Poldark. Also, there are many beautiful pictures of Aidan Turner, Eleanor Tomlinson, Heida Reed, and other actors.
Melanie
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely a must read for any Poldark fans out there. With glorious pictures a fascinating inside to everything that goes into the production of such an incredible show, this will be a book I revisit over and over. The glimpses into the real history and the reasoning behind some of the adaptations was captivating. It immediately made me want to go and rewatch the show with this new inside knowledge.

An easy 5 stars from me. If I could award it more .... I would!

V""V
Dawn
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I received a free copy of this book as a giveaway from Goodreads. A beautiful companion to the new Poldark series. The book covers the story line of the first season with details about the actors, production, costume design, etc. Historical information about the time period is interwoven throughout the book to provide context to the series. The pictures are gorgeous and the content engaging. A must-have item for fans of the Poldark series.
Shirley
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the Poldark Masterpiece show on PBS and this enjoyed this book as well. It goes in depth into what the developers of the show did to bring it to life. There is also a little history of Cornwall, which helps to understand these people better. I recommend it especially to anyone who watches the Poldark show.
Vanessa
This is a lovely companion book for any fan of the "Poldark" tv series! It is full of information about the making of the show as well as life in 18th century Cornwall, quotes from the cast and crew, and of course many wonderful full-color photos!!!
Kristal
Although this is a good book for fans to read, its almost a transcript of the PBS special that was shown before season two started. But still all the lovely picture (especially of Aidan) help make up for the repeatedness I felt.
Sue
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the PBS series and am trying to read the books too. Unfortunately I don't have the time to really dive in and give it my complete focus.
Nicola
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for all Poldark fans. Lots of gorgeous photos and behind the scenes information. Snippets of history about the area and events in the books.
Poldark Saga - Wi...: * General information about the book 4 31 Jan 17, 2017 11:30AM

• Talking to the Ground: One Family's Journey on Horseback Across the Sacred Land of the Navajo
  • Downton Abbey - A Celebration: The Official Companion to All Six Seasons
  • Poldark's Cornwall
  • The Gettysburg Address: A Graphic Adaptation
  • Behind the Scenes at Downton Abbey
  • Farm to Table Asian Secrets: Vegan & Vegetarian Full-Flavored Recipes for Every Season
  • Beeswax Alchemy: How to Make Your Own Soap, Candles, Balms, Creams, and Salves from the Hive
  • The Foie Gras Wars: How a 5,000-Year-Old Delicacy Inspired the World's Fiercest Food Fight
  • Victoria and Albert - A Royal Love Affair
  • The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy
  • Great Britain
  • Evolution: The Cutting Edge Guide to Breaking Down Mental Walls and Building the Body You've Always Wanted
  • The Mystery Science Theater 3000: Amazing Colossal Episode Guide
  • Ivory Vikings: The Mystery of the Most Famous Chessmen in the World and the Woman Who Made Them
  • The Men's Health Home Workout Bible
  • Crystal Fire: The Invention of the Transistor and the Birth of the Information Age
  • Sociology for Dummies